User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

Over 5000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen, Psalmist. =)
    "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." -- Amos 3:7

Blessed is the man that...... Psalmist's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Beloved, our crusty tempers and sour faces will never be evangelists."

Charles Spurgeon - The Prince of Preachers

June 19, 1834 – 31 January 31, 1892

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
    .....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
    Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

The best portion of a person’s life -- are the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love. ~ William Wordsworth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,380 Times in 795 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psalmist View Post
    The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel has been growing slowly but steadily, the ICFG (a very conservative pentecostal denomination) main focus is on Salvation and Missions and it always has been. I think that Pastor Jack Hayford and The Church On The Way are a fine example of what and how ICFG is doing. I believe most of the ICFG churches are small with congregations of 250 or less. (Yes, we're members of the ICFG.)

Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

I believe for such a western or national revival to happen, it has to start with me and you, a revival of one with a fervent desire to have a revival within ourselves and then watch it begin to spread take hold, yes I believe it's possible, but it must begin with someone and somewhere ... Someone? Me. Somewhere? Here. Let's let it begin with us, Amen!
    Lord put that desire within us, ignite that desire and let that desire become a reality for revival, true revival that You send and that You increase and that we decrease, and that the things of the world grow dim in the light of Your glory and grace.
    More importantly, the scriptures tell us in the OT that the Lord would or will pour out His Spirit Joel 2:28-29 and reaffirmed in Acts 2:17-18, I believe it will begin with the individual, and when we let the fires of revival begin to burn within us and become a flame like the lamp that is lit and revival will take hold and spread through the Church for not only a holy spiritual revival in the Church but also for a real strong surge of the Gospel being delivered to a lost world without Christ, may it be so with me that I'm a spark to the world's third great awakening, and Praise the Lord, many will be revived and many will come to know Jesus as their Savior, Amen!
    "Lord lay some soul upon my heart,
    and love that soul through me,
    and may I faithfully do my part
    to win that soul to the Thee."
    Yuss it is the much maligned pentys and charismatics who speak thus.
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Psalmist View Post
    "Beloved, our crusty tempers and sour faces will never be evangelists."

Charles Spurgeon - The Prince of Preachers

June 19, 1834 – 31 January 31, 1892
    Amen Brother. And I would humbly add our "judgmentalism" will not draw people to the Living Waters of Christ's sacrifice!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Psalmist Poor Spurgeon of course was not the prettiest of men to look at, he was of melancholy disposition, which he never tried to hide [in the way I see many christian leaders do] he never tried to hide it because he had learned to live victoriously despite it...when he spoke of deep and abiding joy no one could doubt but that he meant that joy which comes from the Presence of the Lord. As it is written "Lord in thy Presence is fulness of joy and at thy right hand pleasures evermore"

It was oft remarked that although he was of melancholy features yet when he stood forward to preach his face lifted up into an almost angelic smile.

He looked much better when he grew a full beard.

user10603_pic3447_1350245456.jpeg

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    Poor Spurgeon of course was not the prettiest of men to look at, he was of melancholy disposition, which he never tried to hide [in the way I see many christian leaders do] he never tried to hide it because he had learned to live victoriously despite it...when he spoke of deep and abiding joy no could doubt but that he meant that joy which comes from the Presence of the Lord. As it is written "Lord in thy Presence is fulness of joy and at thy right hand pleasures evermore"

It was oft remarked that although he was of melancholy features yet when he stood forward to preach his face lifted up into an almost angelic smile.

He looked much better when he grew a full beard.
    I've worshipped in the Anglican Communion for most of my life and Charles Spurgeon has been oft cited and quoted in numerous sermons over the years.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    I've worshipped in the Anglican Communion for most of my life and Charles Spurgeon has been oft cited and quoted in numerous sermons over the years.
    Now there is a thing about Spurgeon for nobody was so hard on the Anglicans as he was...but they loved him. Nobody castigated the Roman Catholics quite like Spurgeon...yet when he visited Ireland they came out in droves to hear him. He savaged the Brethren for their unbrotherliness...but hardly anyone loved Spurgeon or still do than the Breths

He was derisory of the Salvation Army [while funding them mind] their trumpets and drums and clattering...but they loved him.

He rebuked the Queen upon the throne and yet Queen Victoria read a transcript of his sermon every week.

They all felt that he loved them and only desired their wellbeing.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Spurgeon, Spurgeon...there hardly has been one who loved God's word as he did.

It was his own Baptist friends who turned on him at the last...he is the last of the Puritans.

Blessed is the man that...... Psalmist's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yuss it is the much maligned pentys and charismatics who speak thus.
    We had been members of the AoG...

But alas it seemed they were just content about complaining and roaming around in their own stew pot of do nothing and not fix the problems they have but to tend to the swill of the denominations of the same standing and state, and then realigned their missions program. It was like it was more about Springfield and the powers that be than uniting a body of believers, they had upper staff and some known pastors who were nothing but rude; the fellow I think in AoG that is worth his salt is Dan Betzer, he had a program called Revival Time that he took of from C. M. Ward, and continued do well with the program.

So we left AoG and joined ICFG. It has it's problems but what denomination doesn't.
    Last edited by Psalmist; June 12th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
    .....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
    Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

The best portion of a person’s life -- are the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love. ~ William Wordsworth

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Now there is a thing about Spurgeon for nobody was so hard on the Anglicans as he was...but they loved him. Nobody castigated the Roman Catholics quite like Spurgeon...yet when he visited Ireland they came out in droves to hear him. He savaged the Brethren for their unbrotherliness...but hardly anyone loved Spurgeon or still do than the Breths

He was derisory of the Salvation Army [while funding them mind] their trumpets and drums and clattering...but they loved him.

He rebuked the Queen upon the throne and yet Queen Victoria read a transcript of his sermon every week.

They all felt that he loved them and only desired their wellbeing.
    You know Totton, he is proof that one person, man or woman, willing to speak the truth and challenge the comfort level of any and all who think to rest on the laurels of their historic practices, can make a difference.
    It is being willing to not only confront that which does not build up the Body of Christ, but to take revilement and isolation as the price for such words and deeds.
    The honorable person earns his/her place in our hearts and minds as we turn to them for inspiration and support.
    In the long run truth will win.
    Thanks be to God!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    You know Totton, he is proof that one person, man or woman, willing to speak the truth and challenge the comfort level of any and all who think to rest on the laurels of their historic practices, can make a difference.
    It is being willing to not only confront that which does not build up the Body of Christ, but to take revilement and isolation as the price for such words and deeds.
    The honorable person earns his/her place in our hearts and minds as we turn to them for inspiration and support.
    In the long run truth will win.
    Thanks be to God!
    That is one of the enduring [so far] lessons I have learned from Spurgeon...God's word does prevail.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now Evan Roberts is the man who gets most acclaim for the Welsh revival, I think he killed it but that is debatable.

Imma saying God is gentle and often He is working before people catch on. Florrie Evans was a 15 year old schoolgirl, she had thought her new Pastor had a godly face and so followed him home, being invited in she asked him the reason his face seemed to shine. He told her she must seek God for herself in prayer and bible study.

During the following week Florrie came into a saving experience.

Now this new pastor had introduced a new testimony sharing time into the Sunday service but embarrassingly nobody had a testimony to share and so the following Sunday when testimonies were asked for it was followed by a long painfully embarrassing silence. But tremblingly Florrie Evans stood to her feet and said "well if no-one else will I must say I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart"

The meeting immediately became charged. One after another the congregation rose to their feet to declare their love, or to give thanks many weeping...of course being Welsh soon the songs broke out....the Welsh revival had begun.

It spread to other chapels, soon it overflowed into the streets and shops and workplaces. The pubs had to close for lack of business, the churches and chapels were open every night and jam packed, people getting saved. It spread throughout Wales and into England.

The presence of God could be felt in the streets. The miner's pit ponies stood in confusion not knowing what to do for the men no longer beat them and yelled and cussed them.

The Welsh revival furnished Britain with many who would become leaders of the Pentecostal movement in Britain and Scandinavia.

But the German evangelical church denounced it as satanic..circa 1904

I am Miss America because I say so, you must agree Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,064 Times in 10,191 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possible yes, likely no, i think we are right near the end
    <a href=http://theologyonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23146&d=1455650224 target=_blank>http://theologyonline.com/attachment...6&d=1455650224</a>

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

LoneStar (April 10th, 2016),Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D.L.Moody was a remarkable man, in many ways he is the architypal American, as soon as he saw something needed doing he would roll up his sleeves, oft times as he got stuck into a thing God caught up with him and showed him a better way.

When he first came to Chicago and saw the little children running wild on the sabbath he knew they should be in sunday school so he got himself appointed children rounder upper "there goes crazy Moody" the people would say, he'd do anything to get those kids in sunday school, riding through the streets on a donkey giving away apples...having got them and enrolling them [many testified when they were older] they dreaded missing a sunday school for they would get a visit, and Moody was so sad sorrowful, they could not bear it and would end up promising to never miss another class. And he would chase them.

But Moody never taught sunday school, he just rounded them up for others...he never thought children could get saved. He learned that when a teacher led the whole swarming bunch of them to the Lord. When he saw them kneeling and earnestly imploring God to save their friends it blew his mind. From thence on he started working towards their conversion. That was his start in evangelism.

But he was a redden hot hell fire preacher [in the way so beloved of Americans] not unsuccessful. But one week he had a frail looking soft spoken Lancashire lad to preach for him, Harry Moorhouse, and Harry preached every night on John 3.16. God so loved....that was his focus, the love of God for the sinner.

D.L.Moody had never thought that...alot of Americans today don't think that. But the people crowded in and got saved. Moody had always believed God HATES the sinner, he preached hellfire. Harry Moorhouse revolutionised Moody and he taught him the art of expository preaching. Instead of choosing a subject and throwing a few scripture supports Harry showed him how to take a portion of scripture and systematically expound it verse by verse.

Now Moody was becoming known and not unsuccessful but he had two elderly female admirers, and they felt a certain something was yet lacking in Moody...the unctioning Holy Spirit. And they pursued him. As you read Moody you see him as someone who pursues people...and God pursuing Moody, for he was first and foremost a DOER, a large hearted man. So God was pursuing him in the matter of the unction or the baptism of the Holy Spirit. And is often the way with God's dealings on a personal level it came to a crisis point when Moody had to cancel all engagements, all business and lock himself away...he had to get that unction, he knew it was real, he had witnessed it years before when visiting London had attended Spurgeon's Tabernacle, he had witnessed it in Harry Moorhouse and he had witnessed it in those two elderly matrons. He did seek the baptism and he did recieve it. Others call it the second blessing. The fact is God will give you what you believe Him for in accordance with His word.

But Moody recieved and it was from that time on that with Sankey he went and took America and Britain by storm bringing in the multitudes.
    Last edited by Totton Linnet; June 17th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Men and communities of men will soon if left to their own devices sink to the level of Sodom and Gomorrah...Americans just have to think back 150 years to the years immediately following the civil war...society became hard and lawless.

Not long after George Whitefield got saved and he started to preach the new birth he soon found himself in trouble with fellow Church of England clergy men, he found church pulpits closed to him. It was in these circumstances George took a mad step.

While in Bristol he had heard of the mining town of Kingswood, a wicked place where no policeman ever dared to go, no church would accept Kingswood into it's parrish. It was totally lawless and violent, men did not expect to live beyond 45. Sodomy was rife.

With 2 others Whitefield set out to preach in the open air, an unheard of thing to do for an Anglican priest. He set up a table at about 100 yards from the mine entrance as the men started to come out after the dayshift and stood on it.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven...Matt. ch:5v3." he rang out as the men began to emerge.

The men, faces black with coal, gathered around this amazing sight, they did not know who Matthew was or what a chapter and verse could mean...they had never seen a Parson before and here was one stood on a table outside their mine. George Whitefield cracked a joke and made them laugh.

Soon he was telling them about their eternal destiny, a pit blacker and harder than any they had known, he told them that this was not God's plan for them and that He had sent a Saviour from heaven, even His own Son...this Jesus loved them and desired to bring them out of their hard bondage and bring them at the last to heaven.

As he was preaching to these some fifty men something caught George's attention, yes there it was, that youth on his left. Where his face had been black with coal white streaks appeared from tears running down his face, and there in front a wizened old fella the same and amazingly more and more both young and old the tears began to run freely as he preached the love of God, repentance and the new birth.

The next day George Whitefield recieved a lad from Kingswood with a basket of apples and an earnest appeal from all the men of that place to please come back and preach and perhaps start a mission.

Thread Information