User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 86

Thread: toldailytopic: Is lying to an animal immoral?

  1. #61
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,948
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked 6,986 Times in 4,671 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    Nope...Just pathetic.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  2. #62
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,948
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked 6,986 Times in 4,671 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    As Tam said, go ask the dog. See what he says. Or as Ron White said, put him on the phone, I will talk to him.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  3. #63
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,535
    Thanks
    3,971
    Thanked 5,578 Times in 3,155 Posts

    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147690
    Quote Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
    Back when I was a kid and I heard some one say they were going to give me a licking it meant that they were about to beat me....I would assume that it means the same for a pet/animal?
    That's the only meaning I know of, but I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt, in case "a lickin'" is pushing a dog aside with your knee so you can open the gate instead of, say, cornering a cowering dog and beating it down.

    I guess by changing the words (licking/beating) it made it sound as if they weren't abusing a child. Funny how some don't want to accept that they may be doing something brutal to a child but do it any way by softening the words. Such fond memory's of childhood.
    You've got that right on the euphemisms, lightbringer. I know we're in agreement on that subject from past discussions and I'm sorry for your memories.
    Last edited by annabenedetti; June 8th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.

  4. #64
    Gold level Subscriber kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    9,716
    Thanks
    994
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 948 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    994626
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Like any lie, depends on the motive.
    This.

  5. #65
    Gold level Subscriber kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    9,716
    Thanks
    994
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 948 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    994626
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditio View Post
    To lie is to express a falsehood with the intention of deceiving (or something like that). In order to deceive someone, you pass off an untruth for truth. But in order to conceive of something is true, you must have an intellect, the very formal object of which is truth.

    Animals aren't rational beings. They don't have intellects. They can't be deceived in the strictest sense.

    Furthermore, even if it were wrong, it would never constitute an offense against the animal. Animals aren't rational beings, are not subjects of moral law, and have no rights. We have no direct duties to animals.
    Trad, I very much hope that you don't have any pets.

  6. #66
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,948
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked 6,986 Times in 4,671 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  7. #67
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,523
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0

  8. #68
    Over 4000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,850
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 741 Times in 598 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    571586
    You are an animal....so you tell me.

  9. #69
    Over 4000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,850
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 741 Times in 598 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    571586
    Quote Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
    LOL
    Do you have kids...............

  10. #70
    Journeyman moparguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    96165
    ... nonsense question.

    You can't lie to an an animal.

    They are a-logia. Without words/logic.

  11. #71
    Trainee
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. (Exodus 20:16 NIV)

    So then if we are telling the dog that he is not going to the vet but rather he is going to get a frosty, no. Not immoral. I wouldn't lie to my animals like that because I believe love does not lie to the object of it's affection. However, not immoral.

    It is if we give false testimony. If you tell the dog that the sweet lady sitting next to you in church is a slut because her shirt is too revealing, now we are into false testimony against a neighbor. Lying in general is not to be encouraged by if we are seeking set boundaries...

    Also, take caution what you say to your pet birds! ;-)


    Peace be with you.

  12. #72
    Over 6000 post club PureX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NWPA
    Posts
    6,369
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 825 Times in 568 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    612035
    Quote Originally Posted by fanci View Post
    “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. (Exodus 20:16 NIV)

    So then if we are telling the dog that he is not going to the vet but rather he is going to get a frosty, no. Not immoral. I wouldn't lie to my animals like that because I believe love does not lie to the object of it's affection. However, not immoral.

    It is if we give false testimony. If you tell the dog that the sweet lady sitting next to you in church is a slut because her shirt is too revealing, now we are into false testimony against a neighbor. Lying in general is not to be encouraged by if we are seeking set boundaries...

    Also, take caution what you say to your pet birds! ;-)


    Peace be with you.
    So you think morality is based on religious laws, rather then on love?

  13. #73
    Trainee
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    I think religious laws are what we can use to guide us toward moral actions when dealing with those we have not yet developed a love for. Let us be honest here and say no one is perfect therefor it's highly unlikely that anyone has developed a love for all people/creatures. Again I feel that love does not lie To the object of it's affection, however if we are still in need of learning how to love someone or something, we rely on religious and governmental law for morality and furthermore on religious law to remind us of what what love manifest should look like. For example not giving false testimony concerning a person. I'm a little uncertain of how exactly to articulate my feelings on this subject so this is not a perfect explanation but as best I can give at the moment.


    Peace be with you.

  14. #74
    Over 6000 post club PureX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NWPA
    Posts
    6,369
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 825 Times in 568 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    612035
    I think you may be mixing together too many different concepts. I think living by the "law of love" sufficiently transcends both the laws of society and the laws of religion. But we still need our laws, because we do not all live by love, all the time, and we don't always know how to, in every circumstance.

    And the laws of religion and the laws of society are not one and the same, either. They're different from each other because they have different purposes. The laws of society are specifically intended to establish and maintain equality, freedom, justice, and opportunity for all. This is not a moral or religious imperative, it's a civil imperative. It's intent is to maintain civic unity and peace.

    Religious laws, on the other hand, are based on maintaining one's adherence to a specific theological position, and religious doctrine. They are not meant for everyone, but only for those who adhere to the religion.

    So really, we have different ethical imperatives generating different sets of 'laws'. Each set of ethical imperatives based on a specific goal. It can certainly be confusing.

    But to the degree that we are able to act according to our love and respect for others, and for creation, itself, we will likely find that we are in accord with most of those other kinds of law, as well.

  15. #75
    Trainee
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    You have a valid point. And I may be mixing concepts into a moral Long island... However I do feel that many (I wouldn't go so far as to say most, but many) religious laws are laws that teach us to show love for one another. We are not showing love for our neighbor or our God who commands is to love if we are sleeping with those neighbors' wives and then lying to the judge about it.
    However if we are following Gods law we will be showing respect and care for God and others. While love may be more than respect and care, those are the most teachable aspects.

    Also the only civil/government laws I am referring to are the most basic laws that simply imply respect of one another such as theft, murder, assault, harassment, etc.



    Peace be with you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us