User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: toldailytopic: Is lying to an animal immoral?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fanci View Post
    You have a valid point. And I may be mixing concepts into a moral Long island... However I do feel that many (I wouldn't go so far as to say most, but many) religious laws are laws that teach us to show love for one another. We are not showing love for our neighbor or our God who commands is to love if we are sleeping with those neighbors' wives and then lying to the judge about it.
    However if we are following Gods law we will be showing respect and care for God and others. While love may be more than respect and care, those are the most teachable aspects.

Also the only civil/government laws I am referring to are the most basic laws that simply imply respect of one another such as theft, murder, assault, harassment, etc.

Peace be with you.
    The laws may overlap, but I think the intent behind them often differs. We have civil laws against murder to establish and maintain the citizen's right to life (basic to civil peace). We have religious laws against murder because "God said so" (obedience to God). And the general 'law of love' forbids murder because murder is the opposite of an expression of love.

The law is the same, but the ethical imperative it's representing in each case is somewhat different. And the reason I think this is important to note, is to show that civil law is not necessarily moral, nor religiously inspired. While not all religious laws are loving, or beneficial to civil society.

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PureX View Post
    The laws may overlap, but I think the intent behind them often differs. We have civil laws against murder to establish and maintain the citizen's right to life (basic to civil peace). We have religious laws against murder because "God said so" (obedience to God). And the general 'law of love' forbids murder because murder is the opposite of an expression of love.

The law is the same, but the ethical imperative it's representing in each case is somewhat different. And the reason I think this is important to note, is to show that civil law is not necessarily moral, nor religiously inspired. While not all religious laws are loving, or beneficial to civil society.

Very well said and thank you for a good clarification.

Peace be with you.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may have escaped your notice sir, but you're a bit of an animal yourself.

Posted from the TOL App!
    Please don't mind my sexual charisma.

Over 4000 post club CatholicCrusader's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    toldailytopic: Is lying to an animal immoral?
    Only if they lie back.

"God never gives someone a gift they are not capable of receiving. If he gives us the gift of Christmas, it is because we all have the ability to understand and receive it." - Pope Francis

Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chimps have been known to lie. Once, in a facility with chimps capable of signing, one was asked who had urinated on the floor.

The chimp blamed a researcher who wasn't in the room at the time. They are capable of deception, because they seem to be capable of inferring that other beings can think.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

LIFETIME MEMBER
    Thanks

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 6th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    I don't know, but My mom told me it would not hurt when I went to the dentist and it hurt like hell.

She told me it would not hurt when the nurse gave me a needle, but it hurt like hell.

She told me she would not let me go in deep water, but she let me go.

It was the way in those days.

I told my kids it would hurt and they never complained about it.

When I could not find something small to belt my 17 year old son with and picked up a heavy hose instead and belted him like hell, I thought he would leave home but he just wimpered a bit. He knew he deserved it.

I stood up to my dad once and he belted me to the ground. I never did it again and it helped me more than I realized at the time.

Tune in for more episodes

LA
    My theology is that the elect of Israel became the scattered church among the nations, and when filled up with the full number of gentiles who believe to become one with them, then Christ will return and gather them, and God will then pour out His wrath on the unbelievers of both Jew and Gentile.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,468 Times in 10,178 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

puppies believe anything. kittens too

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy afternoon View Post
    I don't know, but My mom told me it would not hurt when I went to the dentist and it hurt like hell.

She told me it would not hurt when the nurse gave me a needle, but it hurt like hell.

She told me she would not let me go in deep water, but she let me go.

It was the way in those days.

I told my kids it would hurt and they never complained about it.

When I could not find something small to belt my 17 year old son with and picked up a heavy hose instead and belted him like hell, I thought he would leave home but he just wimpered a bit. He knew he deserved it.

I stood up to my dad once and he belted me to the ground. I never did it again and it helped me more than I realized at the time.

Tune in for more episodes

LA
    Why are you going on about beating your son like hell with a heavy hose?

Why do you call beating "belting?"

Is that avatar picture a picture of you in prison?

"There was so much handwriting on the wall that even the wall fell down"

"In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas. The source of better ideas is wisdom. The surest path to wisdom is a liberal education." Alfred Whitney, Essays on Education

Don't you know
    That it ain't a crime
    If all the squares
    And the junkmen
    Think you're out of line

TH:

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 6th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Is lying to a human a sin? It can be if used maliciously (example: false witness), but there is no general condemnation of lying in the scriptures. In fact, telling the truth can be a sin if done maliciously as well - such as leaking secrets to an enemy. Scriptures notes how God has even blinded people so that they would believe lies. I think one needs to delve further than simply whether one is telling the truth or not - we need to look at what is being communicated, why, and what the reasonable results of such information (true or false) will have on others, especially from the perspective of the one communicating said information.

Sometimes it is even beneficial to withhold truth from someone who is not ready for it. Example: it would probably pretty easy to make a new Christian stumble by pointing out all the (supposed) theological errors of the denomination/church they started attending - pitting doctrine vs doctrine against someone whose faith is not well-rooted yet and who lacks a real familiarity with the scriptures.
    If you have material wealth, but do not give to those in need, then the love of God is not in you. Whatever you have done for the least of these you have done for HIM. To give to the poor is to lend to the LORD.

LIFETIME MEMBER
    Thanks

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zoo22 View Post
    Why are you going on about beating your son like hell with a heavy hose?

Why do you call beating "belting?"

Is that avatar picture a picture of you in prison?

No . I am on the outside looking in .

LA
    My theology is that the elect of Israel became the scattered church among the nations, and when filled up with the full number of gentiles who believe to become one with them, then Christ will return and gather them, and God will then pour out His wrath on the unbelievers of both Jew and Gentile.

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the table recently, one of our cats started scratching at the door to be let out. My youngest daughter obliged but the second she had got up to assist, the cat jumped up onto her chair and started eating her food.
    Sauce for the goose?
    Total Misanthropy.
    Uncertain salvation.
    Luck of the draw.
    Irresistible damnation.
    Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
    (The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

RevTestament: It doesn't matter to me too much that the "New Testament wasn't written in Hebrew.
    Dialogos: Calvin, as a sinner, probably got some things wrong.
    Brandplucked: I'm shocked that other people disagree with me.

Thread Information