User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Obamacare is nearing wide-scale implementation. Are you looking forwar

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    Covering people with preexisting conditions and providing coverage for people who pay nothing into the system.
    On the one hand, it will raise costs. On the other hand, it gives a cancer patient treatment that can save his/her life. I will take that trade every time.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    You remind me of this . . .
    That's about accurate.

Also, the philosophy professor at my place of employment tells me the job market in his area is "very tight".
    The philosophy job market is terrible. I have a substantially better shot than most other people of getting a job because I am going to a very niche Catholic school. So my chances of getting hired at a seminary or a small Catholic college is actually pretty good, so long as I'm willing to move.

For those outside of the Catholic world, unless you go to a top-tier university, your job chances are...really, really depressing.

At least some people who get Ph.D.'s in philosophy realize just how bad the job market is when they get out, and they end up going to law school.

And the video is just spot on. Even if you do get a tenure track position, the life of a professor is "public or perish." In the middle of nowhere.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBTimeless View Post
    But has it gone up substantially since the introduction of Obamacare? If so, then it might very well be the cause.
    The cause is greed running amok in a market that can't refuse to buy the products and services being offered. All the other modern nations on the planet have solved this problem by instituting some form of price control, but our government is being controlled by the commercial entities that are raking in all profits from the mess we have now, and so will fight any effective reforms tooth and nail. So we haven't even been able to SPEAK of price controls, let alone establish any.

But everything bad that happens that is even remotely related to health care is going to be very loudly and repeatedly blamed on Obamacare, no matter what, now. So that we will have almost no way of knowing if it's helping the situation or not. Because there will be an endless stream of lies and rigged numbers and phony sanctimonious indignation, and innuendo and anecdotal 'proof' and whatever.

I personally just don't see Romney-Obamacare working very well at a national scale. I think the only real solution to our heath care mess is going to be the solution that the other nations of the world have already successfully adopted. And that's socialized health care.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But has it gone up substantially since the introduction of Obamacare? If so, then it might very well be the cause.
    Let's see ... the insurance companies don't like Obamacare, but they really like making lots of money. How could they make more money and get us to blame it on Obamacare? Oh yeah! They could just raise their prices and say it's because of Obamacare! Then they could get all their cronies in Washington and the media to blame it on Obamacare, too, over and over, while they keep raising prices and blaming it on Obamacare. Wow! It's a win/win for big insurance! And for the republicans, too, who want to blame anything bad on Obama and the democrats that they can, and it's even a win for the media, who can stir up another big "controversy" to keep us all watching their newsfomercials.

We all lose, of course. But that was always going to be the aim of the game.

Over 750 post club Brother Vinny's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PureX View Post
    The cause is greed running amok in a market that can't refuse to buy the products and services being offered. All the other modern nations on the planet have solved this problem by instituting some form of price control, but our government is being controlled by the commercial entities that are raking in all profits from the mess we have now, and so will fight any effective reforms tooth and nail. So we haven't even been able to SPEAK of price controls, let alone establish any.
    As soon as you start talking price controls, you start talking about paying doctors and their staff less for their skills. If doctorin' becomes a trade which loses its reputation for its ability to accrue wealth, talented minds will seek other avenues instead of medicine. If that happens, the disparity between supply and demand increases even more.

I don't know how other countries solve this particular issue, but I'd love to be educated on it.
    "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 821 Posts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see ... the insurance companies don't like Obamacare, but they really like making lots of money. How could they make more money and get us to blame it on Obamacare? Oh yeah! They could just raise their prices and say it's because of Obamacare! Then they could get all their cronies in Washington and the media to blame it on Obamacare, too, over and over, while they keep raising prices and blaming it on Obamacare. Wow! It's a win/win for big insurance! And for the republicans, too, who want to blame anything bad on Obama and the democrats, and it's even a win for the media, who can stir up another big "controversy" to keep us all watching their newsfomercials.

You lose, of course. But that was always going to be the aim of the game.

Come on PureX, I have told you before to stop that myth. The insurance companies don't hate Obamacare.

50 U.S. Health Care Statistics That Will Absolutely Astonish You

This bill is almost identical to the plan written by AHIP, the insurance company trade association, in 2009.

The original Senate Finance Committee bill was authored by a former Wellpoint VP. Since Congress released the first of its health care bills on October 30, 2009, health care stocks have risen 28.35%

Oooops!
    Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

Over 750 post club Brother Vinny's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see ... the insurance companies don't like Obamacare, but they really like making lots of money. How could they make more money and get us to blame it on Obamacare? Oh yeah! They could just raise their prices and say it's because of Obamacare! Then they could get all their cronies in Washington and the media to blame it on Obamacare, too, over and over, while they keep raising prices and blaming it on Obamacare. Wow! It's a win/win for big insurance! And for the republicans, too, who want to blame anything bad on Obama and the democrats that they can, and it's even a win for the media, who can stir up another big "controversy" to keep us all watching their newsfomercials.

We all lose, of course. But that was always going to be the aim of the game.
    LOL, you do know Obamacare instituted salary caps for execs in insurance companies, do you not? As well as strict minimum profit margins they must maintain or else pay hefty fines.

Yeah, you know your stuff.
    "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Vinny View Post
    As soon as you start talking price controls, you start talking about paying doctors and their staff less for their skills. If doctorin' becomes a trade which loses its reputation for its ability to accrue wealth, talented minds will seek other avenues instead of medicine. If that happens, the disparity between supply and demand increases even more.

I don't know how other countries solve this particular issue, but I'd love to be educated on it.
    It turns out that doctors like being doctors in all those other countries, even though they don't make as much money as doctors make in the U.S., and they still consider themselves well paid.

Maybe the refusal to placate individual greed actually serves to diminish it?

But of course those other countries have to continually adjust their price controls, so as to maintain good quality health care while minimizing costs. Most of them have been at it for nearly 30 years, now, and they have gotten it down pretty well. They are getting good care for about half of what we in the U.S. are currently paying for vary poor overall health care. (We rank 27th among the nations of the world in terms of overall quality of care, while we are paying the most for it, by far.)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditio View Post
    That's about accurate.
    The philosophy job market is terrible. I have somewhat better shot than most other people of getting a job because I am going to a very niche Catholic school. So my chances of getting hired at a seminary or a small Catholic college is actually pretty good, so long as I'm willing to move.

For those outside of the Catholic world, unless you go to a top-tier university, your job chances are...really, really depressing.
    To Nowhere, Nebraska as the video says. That's what I'm trying to get away from, but there are small colleges and universities in even worse places than I am now. Hope you like Alaska. O_O

I have to say though, having looked into several Catholic Universities, they don't seem to mind if you're Catholic or not. Perhaps it's different in philosophy vs. biology.

And the video is just spot on. Even if you do get a tenure track position, the life of a professor is "public or perish."
    It's less stringent at smaller universities than larger ones and there are a few that are only focused on education, but you can get locked in if you go too far down that path.

As far as health care goes, I've found Catholic universities are much better providers than colleges sponsored by certain protestant denominations. Some are considered small employers so they get to use all kinds of loopholes to get out of paying for faculty.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Vinny View Post
    LOL, you do know Obamacare instituted salary caps for execs in insurance companies, do you not? As well as strict minimum profit margins they must maintain or else pay hefty fines.

Yeah, you know your stuff.
    But salary caps for insurance execs are not price caps on health care products and services, are they.

And drbrumley seems to think the insurance companies proposed their own salary caps and profit limits, which I seriously doubt.

I think the insurance companies were all in favor of the government forcing us to buy their health insurance, that's a government enforced monopoly - any capitalists's dream come true. But I'm sure they don't want government interference in their profit margins even more than they want a government enforced monopoly. After all, what good is the monopoly if they can't exploit it for big profits? So in the end, they would just as soon maintain the status quo, because they're already raking in record profits without Obamacare.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,173 Times in 6,336 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-2015/?print=1

The Obama administration will not penalize businesses that do not provide health insurance in 2014, the Treasury Department announced Tuesday.

Instead, it will delay enforcement of a major Affordable Care Act requirement that all employers with more than 50 employees provide coverage to their workers until 2015.

The administration said it would postpone the provision after hearing significant concerns from employers about the challenges of implementing it.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/07/02...ty-until-2015/

Republican former Congressional Budget Office director Douglas Holtz-Eakin called the move “deviously brilliant,” by removing a potential electoral impediment from in front of congressional Democrats before the midterms.

“Democrats no longer face the immediate specter of running against the fallout from a heavy regulatory imposition on employers across the land,” Holtz-Eakin wrote. “Explaining away the mandate was going to be a big political lift; having the White House airbrush it from the landscape is way better.”

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4370321.story

UnitedHealth to exit individual insurance market in California

The move by UnitedHealth, the nation's largest health insurer, will force about 8,000 customers with individual policies to find new coverage.

The nation's largest health insurer, UnitedHealth Group Inc., is leaving California's individual health insurance market, the second major company to exit in advance of major changes under the Affordable Care Act.

UnitedHealth said it had notified state regulators that it would leave the state's individual market at year-end and force about 8,000 customers to find new coverage. Last month, Aetna Inc., the nation's third-largest health insurer, made a similar move affecting about 50,000 existing policyholders.

You made your bed, now lay in it.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Thanks
    Thanked 9,173 Times in 6,336 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/u...s.html/?ref=YF

Unions: Obamacare Will Shatter Backbone of Middle Class

The Affordable Care Act now has a formidable opponent in U.S. labor unions. The unions were a key ally in the law’s passage: They spent a large sum of money on the congressional campaigns of Democrats in 2006 and 2008, and union leaders lobbied in favor of health care reform in 2009 and 2010. But with growing worries that the legislation will disrupt the health benefits of its members, America’s largest unions are asking Congress to step in.

Representatives of three of the nation’s largest unions sent a letter to Democratic Sens. Harry Reid of Nevada and Nancy Pelosi of California on Thursday.

“When you and the President sought our support for the Affordable Care Act, you pledged that if we liked the health plans we have now, we could keep them. Sadly, that promise is under threat,” letter said. “Right now, unless you and the Obama Administration enact an equitable fix, the ACA will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour workweek that is the backbone of the American middle class.”

'murica
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Thanks
    Thanked 39,456 Times in 24,494 Posts

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm poor, and it doesn't please me at all that our government thinks they have the right to force me to purchase a product (health insurance) I cannot afford.
    Which will of course, will make me even poorer.

And to top it all off, they are going to deem me a criminal if I don't purchase that product that I cannot afford by sending the IRS after me.

I'm sick and tired of a government that thinks it has the right to steal from me in order to provide me with what they think I need.

Just another liberty lost to Americans.

God Bless America

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you being ongoing blind on purpose ?? (no, I don't think so >> keep searching/reading !!)

Can you read? (YES?!, I think so) ... go get a copy of nutrition, the cancer answer by maureen salamn, and
    fifty cases by max grson,
    and
    over 300 other books describing in detail, known for over 100 years,
    what actually causes cancer(always associated with a mineral deficiency) and over 50 known and proven cures for cancer (and other diseases) used for decades world wide successfully and without side effects and with LOW COST!!! (the most common reason you haven't heard or read about it yet)

On the one hand, it will raise costs. On the other hand, it gives a cancer patient treatment that can save his/her life. I will take that trade every time.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yhwh's Shalom in Y'shua Tambora.
    I came to this particular thread because I saw you had replied last,
    though honestly I don't remember if you're one of the true believers
    or one of the others -- -no worries either way, well, maybe -- seek YHWH !!! ALWAYS !!!

YHWH is the refuge and strength of the poor and the destitute (of which I am a member humanly speaking, JOYFULLY IN CHRIST SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING !! )

remember Yhwh's Promises in Scripture. HE IS THE HEALER ! HE IS THE PROVIDER !

all those trusting egypt or america or any fleshly nation, YHWH CURSES(it is HIS DECREE, look it up).

and WHOEVER CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED(HEALED) !!!! YHWH'S DECREE!!! (look it up JOYFULLY !!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    I'm poor, and it doesn't please me at all that our government thinks they have the right to force me to purchase a product (health insurance) I cannot afford.
    Which will of course, will make me even poorer.

And to top it all off, they are going to deem me a criminal if I don't purchase that product that I cannot afford by sending the IRS after me.

I'm sick and tired of a government that thinks it has the right to steal from me in order to provide me with what they think I need.

Just another liberty lost to Americans.

Thread Information