User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 98

Thread: toldailytopic: What adjustments will the Republican party need to make if they are to

  1. #46
    Over 1000 post club Buzzword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,284
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 164 Times in 133 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    114706
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    That doesn't follow. The EPA is a bad idea because it is a governmental power that takes a lot of money but does not offer the same value of service in return. Carbon taxes are a bad idea because the income tax is the only tax, and all other taxes are inefficient or unfair. Global warming isn't a gov't conspiracy any more than the sugar market is. Do you consider the subsidized sugar market a gov't conspiracy?


    I don't think there are any conservatives that deny the climate changes. This is a huge problem in your thinking.


    You seem to think that anthropologic global warming is real. It isn't. It is just a scare tactic by liberals who want to play the victim to gain power. "Impinge on our freedom nearly as much"?!?! The slippery slope is valid here, and no amount of easier solutions will satisfy the liberal because total loss of freedom is the only solution they will eventually accept. Sure, they'll compromise with you as long as you keep going their way, therefore compromise would be a stupid thing to do.


    There, you see. Stay away from listening to establishment republicans like O'Reilley because they are just democrate-lite. The only solution to this problem is to appeal to the freedom loving person inside all of us, which means uncompromising conservative.


    A better idea would be to make gov't so much smaller that taxes can be cut while not going into debt? Saying we need to raise taxes to pay for stupid things is just a liberal power grab.


    Crises? Oh, like climate change... wait that's a liberal crisis. Like TARP... oh, wait, that was George Bush stabbing conservatives in the back. Like health care... wait, was that conservative?

    Compromise with those policies? If it causes a crisis to stop someone from hurting someone else, that's a proper crisis to have.
    This post encompasses the mindset which has gotten the Republicans where they are now.
    “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
    -Adam Hamilton

    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #47
    LIFETIME MEMBER Yorzhik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,852
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 199 Times in 159 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    248499
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    This post encompasses the mindset which has gotten the Republicans where they are now.
    Huh? The republicans aren't doing anything I mention in my post. This makes no sense.
    Good things come to those who shoot straight.

    Did you only want evidence you are not going to call "wrong"? -Stripe

  3. #48
    Over 4000 post club rexlunae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The high desert
    Posts
    4,844
    Thanks
    905
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,232 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    764116
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    This post encompasses the mindset which has gotten the Republicans where they are now.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Global warming denialists are like gravity denialists piloting a helicopter, determined to prove a point. We may not have time to actually persuade them of their mistake.

  4. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post
    They might want to stop cracking wise about rape, for one thing.

    They might want to stop with their racial tokenism. One Latino and one black guy here and there does not racial diversity make.

    They might want to stop acting, and talking, like crazy, demented, out-of-touch lunatics who appeal to no one but an increasingly small and isolated amen corner.

    They might stop acting like anti-intellectual buffoons disinterested in facts or reality.

    They might, in other words, drop the crazy routine, stop acting as though Americans don't "really" understand their message, and retool themselves from the bottom up.

    First, let evangelicals walk. If they want to start their own party, fine. Evangelicals hijacked the GOP in the Seventies and in large part have run the party right into the ground. Support gay marriage (or at least support the right of states to decide the issue) and force the Christians out. Fewer and fewer people care what they think anyway.

    Next, oppose American imperialism and demand an end to drone strikes, pre-emptive and illegal wars, and the empire building in the Middle East. Enough is enough.

    Third, end this foolish War on Terror and nip the burgeoning police state in the bud.

    Fourth, end the equally inane War on Drugs, and really deal the police state a death blow.
    Have you considered making a thread, "Why are Republicans so Incredibly Stupid?"

  5. #50
    LIFETIME MEMBER Yorzhik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,852
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 199 Times in 159 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    248499
    Quote Originally Posted by rexlunae View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    What? Wishing for the stuff they haven't been doing for the last 15 years got us where we are today? You make no sense either.
    Good things come to those who shoot straight.

    Did you only want evidence you are not going to call "wrong"? -Stripe

  6. #51
    Over 750 post club Charity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    800
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    71793
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 31st, 2013 05:00 AM


    toldailytopic: What adjustments will the Republican party need to make if they are to be successful in the 2016 Presidential Election?






    Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    to ...Stop destroying powerful stars that get in their un respected deceitful way!
    Just tell me what you want me to criticize! I want you to be happy<.

  7. #52
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    toldailytopic: What adjustments will the Republican party need to make if they are to be successful in the 2016 Presidential Election?
    Move back to the right.


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (July 15th, 2016)

  9. #53
    ☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona USA
    Posts
    5,933
    Thanks
    3,116
    Thanked 2,860 Times in 1,732 Posts

    Blog Entries
    143
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147670
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Move back to the right.
    What he said.
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.



    Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?



  10. #54
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,593
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 657 Times in 452 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    186103
    In other words, "get a bigger hammer so that it won't hurt when you hit yourself on the head with it."

    So ever since President Obama gave them a second drubbing, despite a supposedly disqualifying unemployment rate, GOP elites have admitted that America isn't producing enough angry old white guys for them to win national elections, that they can't be the party of no or the Tea Party party or the stupid party. That's progress! The problem is figuring out what needs...

    Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz2UyDBV69c
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  11. #55
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks
    5,301
    Thanked 6,808 Times in 3,859 Posts

    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147705
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post


    toldailytopic: What adjustments will the Republican party need to make if they are to be successful in the 2016 Presidential Election?


    My prediction: They won't make any adjustments beyond lip service and they won't be successful in 2016.

  12. #56
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,593
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 657 Times in 452 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    186103
    I said the same thing about the democrats after 1968. Politicians will do amazing things, if elections are at stake. Sometimes, they will even go to such extremes as to reform their party.

    Not common, and not without a great deal of agonizing, but they sometimes will do it.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  13. #57
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    149
    If the liberals have not discredited themselves in the eyes of the majority of voters, then there is nothing the Republicans can do to make things better for them.

    However, regarding conservatives if they happen to take over the executive and legislative branches in the next election, they had better be honest and transparent.

  14. #58
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,593
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 657 Times in 452 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    186103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps82 View Post
    If the liberals have not discredited themselves in the eyes of the majority of voters, then there is nothing the Republicans can do to make things better for them.
    I don't think the voters are that happy with the democrats. If a party that was anything close to the center was to challenge them, I think that party would win. But no such party exists at this time.

    However, regarding conservatives if they happen to take over the executive and legislative branches in the next election, they had better be honest and transparent.
    I don't know why. No one's ever had to do it before.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  15. #59
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I don't think the voters are that happy with the democrats. If a party that was anything close to the center was to challenge them, I think that party would win. But no such party exists at this time.



    I don't know why. No one's ever had to do it before.
    What ever happened to the idealist concept that imperfect people should strive to perfect their behaviors ... and for the masses to expect it of them and hold them accountable?

    Have you just given up Barbarian?

  16. #60
    Over 1500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,779
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47411
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Center-right. Eisenhower, Taft. That sort.
    Which Taft? Robert or William Howard?

    I don't see how Eisenhower was a "Centrist" at all, but maybe that's just because I'm so far (Economically, anyhow) to the right. But the man had a freaking top marginal rate of ninety-one percent, and his only difference from the democrats is that he wanted to run social democracy more efficiently. How is that "Centrist?"




    I wish my mortgage had been at a 0% rate, but for some reason, that wasn't possible.

    I see your point, I'm just not as far as you are.
    I don't ultimately disagree with you that you can't get all the way to 0%. But we can get way closer than we are right now, and anything to move in that direction is a good thing, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Move back to the right.
    I seriously doubt very many people want your particular brand of "Far-right." Granted, the people don't want what I want either, and I freely acknowledge that, but I'm not pretending I agree with the majority. The majority, unfortunately, supports socialism...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us