User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98

Thread: toldailytopic: What adjustments will the Republican party need to make if they are to

  1. #31
    Silver Member The Berean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wacky California
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 422 Times in 274 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    281758
    Quote Originally Posted by RandPaulfor2016 View Post
    Or just not label them on the ballot, and require people to know something substantial about the candidate they are voting for.
    Most voters are don't really think that deeply about elections. If a voter belongs to a particular political party they will just vote for their party's candidate.
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

    What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

    I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

    I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

  2. #32
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditio View Post
    The Republicans are commonly seen as:

    1. Anti-science (because of their position on global warming).
    2. As being in the pockets of the corporate elite and the very wealthy (and thus having interests directly at odds with the middle and lower classes).
    3. As being extremely backwards when it comes to things like immigration.
    4. As being warmongers.

    And they're not even necessarily towing the "traditional values" thing as much as they used to and should be.

    If the Republicans want to have any credibility and any relevence in the future political arena, they need to change these things.
    Right and the catholics know what is best because they favor the king of the government from their inception. And don't forget..."we are supposed to get our children high"

    Hail Caesar!!! the mystical king.

  3. #33
    Patron Saint of SMACK Delmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,584
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 715 Times in 607 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    681450
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post

    The Republican party should try something new, and put forth a conservative candidate, to give the voters a real choice.
    The party power brokers will not allow that to happen. There is at least a 50/50 chance that the GOP is done.

  4. #34
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    The party power brokers will not allow that to happen. There is at least a 50/50 chance that the GOP is done.
    And I don't blame them. I blame the lazy Christians. What are they supposed to do, fight the wave of government and church?

  5. #35
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,678
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 62 Times in 58 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    219705
    Quote Originally Posted by sky. View Post
    Right and the catholics know what is best because they favor the king of the government from their inception. And don't forget..."we are supposed to get our children high"

    Hail Caesar!!! the mystical king.
    I never said this. If you are a Christian, sky, you should be on gaurd against 1. bearing false witness against your neighbor and 2. seeking to injure your neighbor in thought, word and deed. Remember that Christ says that we will be held accountable for every idle word.
    "If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I do assure you that, in spite of the gravity of your sins 'you shall receive a never fading crown of glory.' [2] Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in Hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practise black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if----and mark well what I say----if you say the Holy Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon for your sins" (St. Louis Marie de Montfort, Secret of the Rosary, Red Rose).

  6. #36
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditio View Post
    I never said this. If you are a Christian, sky, you should be on gaurd against 1. bearing false witness against your neighbor and 2. seeking to injure your neighbor in thought, word and deed. Remember that Christ says that we will be held accountable for every idle word.
    Nope, you seek to injure the intent and purposes of Christ and you are very transparent . Go get the children you seek to get high and tell them to "eat Christ" .

  7. #37
    Patron Saint of SMACK Delmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,584
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 715 Times in 607 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    681450
    Quote Originally Posted by sky. View Post
    And I don't blame them. I blame the lazy Christians. What are they supposed to do, fight the wave of government and church?
    Why blame the wicked?

  8. #38
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Why blame the wicked?
    Really?

  9. #39
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,309
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 347 Times in 266 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    128410
    What would your Republican Party look like?
    Center-right. Eisenhower, Taft. That sort.

    Would you consider cutting taxes in general (ie, on everybody) to be equivalent to "Cutting taxes on the rich"? Or are you singling out tax cuts that only help the rich?
    I figure everyone should put in a fair share. A flat rate, if there was some way of locking out finagles to cut the effective rate, would be O.K. with me.

    I'm good with any tax cut on anyone that brings the rate closer to 0%.
    I wish my mortgage had been at a 0% rate, but for some reason, that wasn't possible.

    I see your point, I'm just not as far as you are.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  10. #40
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RandPaulfor2016 View Post
    My username should answer the question.
    haha. that is funny. good choice!

  11. #41
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,309
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 347 Times in 266 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    128410
    Quote Originally Posted by RandPaulfor2016 View Post
    I can't believe you would wish that kind of punishment on anybody. That's immoral.
    That's Nick in a nutshell. Personally, I hope he repents and is saved. If God is unwilling that any be lost, who am I to disagree?
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  12. #42
    Over 1500 post club GuySmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,829
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    160612
    Republicans need to become conservatives. Currently the Republican party is just a 'lite' version of the Democrats. Democrats overspend, republicans promise to overspend not-as-much. Democrats support immorality, republicans will support it less.

    The republicans have lost their base while trying to court the middle.
    "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

    "Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

  13. #43
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,309
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 347 Times in 266 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    128410
    The problem is that if the "base" is a minority, then the tighter you hold to the base, the more you alienate the majority.

    And you can't gerrymander an entire state, which is why the Senate and the WH is trending democrat. A few creative republicans have suggested dividing electoral votes up into districts and gerrymandering those.

    But it seems to be unpopular, given that it also greatly reduces the political clout of a state.

    So probably not. Eventually, a party has to accommodate the middle, or it will disappear.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  14. #44
    Over 4000 post club rexlunae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The high desert
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,112 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    715224
    1. They must learn to stop lying to themselves. Reality doesn't always (or often) accommodate ideology, and the fact that, e.g. you don't like large regulatory agencies like the EPA or policies like carbon taxes does not mean that global warming is a government conspiracy. Figure out what the facts are, and then look for the best ways to address them. And I would love to see conservative ideals applied to the problems of climate change in ways that don't involve sheer denial. Maybe, with the help of Republicans, we could find ways of dealing with the problem that don't impinge on our freedom nearly as much. This is just one example, and there are many more, but I think you get the idea.

    2. They must stop playing the victim. No one likes someone who only wants to tell you about how victimized they are, but it's especially obnoxious when it comes from people in very privileged positions. After the 2012 elections stunned the GOP, Bill O'Reilley went on the air to say this:

    It's a changing country. The demographics are changing. It's not a traditional America any more. And there are 50% of the voting public who want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things? President Obama. He knows it and he ran on it. And, whereby twenty years ago, President Obama would have been roundly defeated by an establishment candidate like Mitt Romney. The white establishment is now the minority. And the voters, many of them, feel that the economic system is stacked against them and they want stuff. You are going to see a tremendous Hispanic vote for President Obama, overwhelming black vote for President Obama. And women will probably break President Obama’s way. People feel that they are entitled to things and which candidate, between the two, is going to give them things?


    Racial resentment, especially the resentment of white men over the rise in political power of other groups telegraphs to those groups a hostile sentiment that the GOP frankly can't afford unless they want to hang all of their future hopes on gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement.

    3. Break the power of Grover Norquist's anti-tax pledge and make a serious effort to raise enough money to fund necessary functions of the government. You can still be for small government and limited taxes without being opposed to every reasonable proposal to generate revenue from people and organizations that can afford to pay, and every program no matter how beneficial. The GOP has managed to convince a small but loud group of middle-class and poor people that tax cuts are in their best interests, but most people are becoming aware that the tax cut agenda will benefit incumbent wealth the most and the poor hardly at all, and that they are used as a ratchet to justify greater and greater cuts to social programs.

    4. Learn the meaning of compromise. Not everything has to be a crisis.
    Global warming denialists are like gravity denialists piloting a helicopter, determined to prove a point. We may not have time to actually persuade them of their mistake.

  15. #45
    LIFETIME MEMBER Yorzhik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 187 Times in 149 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    233461
    Quote Originally Posted by rexlunae View Post
    1. They must learn to stop lying to themselves. Reality doesn't always (or often) accommodate ideology, and the fact that, e.g. you don't like large regulatory agencies like the EPA or policies like carbon taxes does not mean that global warming is a government conspiracy.
    That doesn't follow. The EPA is a bad idea because it is a governmental power that takes a lot of money but does not offer the same value of service in return. Carbon taxes are a bad idea because the income tax is the only tax, and all other taxes are inefficient or unfair. Global warming isn't a gov't conspiracy any more than the sugar market is. Do you consider the subsidized sugar market a gov't conspiracy?

    Figure out what the facts are, and then look for the best ways to address them. And I would love to see conservative ideals applied to the problems of climate change in ways that don't involve sheer denial.
    I don't think there are any conservatives that deny the climate changes. This is a huge problem in your thinking.

    Maybe, with the help of Republicans, we could find ways of dealing with the problem that don't impinge on our freedom nearly as much. This is just one example, and there are many more, but I think you get the idea.
    You seem to think that anthropologic global warming is real. It isn't. It is just a scare tactic by liberals who want to play the victim to gain power. "Impinge on our freedom nearly as much"?!?! The slippery slope is valid here, and no amount of easier solutions will satisfy the liberal because total loss of freedom is the only solution they will eventually accept. Sure, they'll compromise with you as long as you keep going their way, therefore compromise would be a stupid thing to do.

    2. They must stop playing the victim. No one likes someone who only wants to tell you about how victimized they are, but it's especially obnoxious when it comes from people in very privileged positions. After the 2012 elections stunned the GOP, Bill O'Reilley went on the air to say this:

    It's a changing country. The demographics are changing. It's not a traditional America any more. And there are 50% of the voting public who want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things? President Obama. He knows it and he ran on it. And, whereby twenty years ago, President Obama would have been roundly defeated by an establishment candidate like Mitt Romney. The white establishment is now the minority. And the voters, many of them, feel that the economic system is stacked against them and they want stuff. You are going to see a tremendous Hispanic vote for President Obama, overwhelming black vote for President Obama. And women will probably break President Obama’s way. People feel that they are entitled to things and which candidate, between the two, is going to give them things?


    Racial resentment, especially the resentment of white men over the rise in political power of other groups telegraphs to those groups a hostile sentiment that the GOP frankly can't afford unless they want to hang all of their future hopes on gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement.
    There, you see. Stay away from listening to establishment republicans like O'Reilley because they are just democrate-lite. The only solution to this problem is to appeal to the freedom loving person inside all of us, which means uncompromising conservative.

    3. Break the power of Grover Norquist's anti-tax pledge and make a serious effort to raise enough money to fund necessary functions of the government. You can still be for small government and limited taxes without being opposed to every reasonable proposal to generate revenue from people and organizations that can afford to pay, and every program no matter how beneficial. The GOP has managed to convince a small but loud group of middle-class and poor people that tax cuts are in their best interests, but most people are becoming aware that the tax cut agenda will benefit incumbent wealth the most and the poor hardly at all, and that they are used as a ratchet to justify greater and greater cuts to social programs.
    A better idea would be to make gov't so much smaller that taxes can be cut while not going into debt? Saying we need to raise taxes to pay for stupid things is just a liberal power grab.

    4. Learn the meaning of compromise. Not everything has to be a crisis.
    Crises? Oh, like climate change... wait that's a liberal crisis. Like TARP... oh, wait, that was George Bush stabbing conservatives in the back. Like health care... wait, was that conservative?

    Compromise with those policies? If it causes a crisis to stop someone from hurting someone else, that's a proper crisis to have.
    Good things come to those who shoot straight.

    Did you only want evidence you are not going to call "wrong"? -Stripe

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us