User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: You are what you eat. How do you feel about genetically modified organ

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought this was going to be about what I thought about this saying, you are what you eat. I was going to say, it makes me feel like a beastly man!!! But anyways, I don't care about genetically engineered or organic. It's all food to me.
    I'm not a sinner, or preacher, all I have is slight of hand.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LKmommy View Post
    I am not for the modification of grain and seed. There have been known defects that have caused severe crop loss/yields and concerns over other chemicals that were given to cows to make them produce more milk.
    GM crops aren't "chemicals" in the sense of substances given as drugs. (Though technically almost everything we interact with, including our own bodies are 'chemicals'.)

They are new pieces of DNA (sometimes from other members of the same species) inserted through a very precise process. The DNA produces new proteins which are substances normally found in every food we eat.

Mad scientists in their labs changing things around. What will be the next "food allergy" that is lab created?
    That's the funny thing, GM crops are extensively tested for possible allergenicity, "natural" crops do not undergo the same kind of testing. Any time you eat a new natural food you run the risk of a new allergy. One of my students found this out when she tried some seaweed crackers. Her lips ended up blistering.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    GM crops aren't "chemicals" in the sense of substances given as drugs. (Though technically almost everything we interact with, including our own bodies are 'chemicals'.)

They are new pieces of DNA (sometimes from other members of the same species) inserted through a very precise process. The DNA produces new proteins which are substances normally found in every food we eat.

That's the funny thing, GM crops are extensively tested for possible allergenicity, "natural" crops do not undergo the same kind of testing. Any time you eat a new natural food you run the risk of a new allergy. One of my students found this out when she tried some seaweed crackers. Her lips ended up blistering.
    Perhaps you missed my other post about companies like Monsanto. I guess you missed that and I overran my use of chemicals into the post you did see. I am not in support of Monsanto in this regards (GM seeds and products). The bugs are getting worse? No worries, Monsanto will pump out a chemical for that too. Never mind what they have exposed people to in the past

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack LaLanne had two simple rules about diet.

1) If man made it, don't eat it

2) If it tastes good, spit it out.

Here's LaLanne at age 71!

Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post
    Loathe and despise them. Monsanto can burn at the stake.
    I agree about Mansanto, but not for GMO's. Mansanto and our government are in collusion to make slaves out of farmers, and I'm only exagerating a little.
    "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley View Post
    I agree about Mansanto, but not for GMO's. Mansanto and our government are in collusion to make slaves out of farmers, and I'm only exagerating a little.
    I get it. Monsanto I thought I read up on was not wanting to have to label what is GM with the FDA. Interesting spin on Monsanto's name. Farmer's will be forced to comply with either the Corporations or the Government if they want their subsidies. Consumers will suffer and pay for it all in the end either in health or in dollars. Seeing how I do not grow my own stuff, I am a slave to it all as well.

Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMJerusha View Post
    Like all things used and abused, genetic modification can be good or bad. I see no point in throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    Yep.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoof1959 View Post
    There is a reason God designed things to reproduce "after their own kind".
    That is not what God says in Genesis.

Man is arrogant to invade other creatures and tinker around with their very basis of physical existence.
    Domestication does that. But God gave us dominion over them. We just need to be responsible in how we do it..

The description of the "locusts" in Revelation 9 does not have to be seen as a spiritual allegory in a world where tinkering with dna takes place. A literal fulfillment is possible.
    Can you enlarge on that idea a bit?
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did the honey bees go?
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Where did the honey bees go?
    Mites, mostly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,767 Times in 6,100 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God designed plants and animals well. Every change from that design degrades the integrity of the original design.

When someone tells you a change is good, they are promoting one trait and pretending there can be no other effects. That's bad science.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    God designed plants and animals well. Every change from that design degrades the integrity of the original design.

When someone tells you a change is good, they are promoting one trait and pretending there can be no other effects. That's bad science.
    The level of stupid you're espousing is astounding, even for you.

In your parlance, don't you think taking part of one design and adding it to another organism could be useful at times?

Say . . . golden rice?

One wonders if every change makes an organism worse, why have traditional breeders bothered making things like Red Delicious apples?
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a under-reported phenomenon of animals avoiding GMO foods.

Obviously the video Is not a scientific test, since there are many untested reasons why the squirrel avoided the GMO tortilla but there seems to be trend in the Anti-GMO websites that there have been numerous observations of this particular effect happening with farm animals. I would love to try this at my apartment but my room is located too far away from trees.

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,767 Times in 6,100 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    It's called applying the fundamentals of science. Evolutionists need those to be suspended.

In your parlance, don't you think taking part of one design and adding it to another organism could be useful at times?
    It could be. If you were intimately aware of all the factors that went into the design.

One wonders if every change makes an organism worse, why have traditional breeders bothered making things like Red Delicious apples?
    Because the short term benefits they see aren't forestalled by any measured degradation in their product.

You should really try to understand an idea before you start ranting against it.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Stipe retorts:
    It's called applying the fundamentals of science. Evolutionists need those to be suspended.
    Says the guy who continues to refuse to show us his "math that refutes evolution."

Because all of science looks like magic to Stipe, he thinks it;s somehow different if you add a gene yourself, instead of waiting for one to mutate.

You should really try to understand an idea before you start ranting against it.
    And I just had my irony meter recalibrated...

Thread Information