User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Gluten-free food. What do you think of the gluten free craze?

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    But lets be realistic here, EVERY food we eat has undergone "relentless hybridization". Unless you're going out into the woods and picking actually wild plants or shooting wild game, you simply can't avoid it. And even then, many wild plants and animals have picked up genes from domesticated ones.

The problem with gluten is mostly that some people do actually have allergies to it, resulting in celiac disease. If you're in that boat, gluten free is for you, otherwise it's probably a waste of time.

Gluten is simply a wheat protein (and in a few other related grasses) and it's the protein that makes wheat flour sticky when moist. Without gluten you can't make lovely pastries or noodles. Because of the thickening potential, gluten gets added to a lot of foods you might not otherwise associate with wheat.

Gluten free diets are usually just wheat free diets. You have to eat other grains and grain substitutes. Those grains may be more healthful for other reasons, but considering all the pesticides, plasticizers and flame retardants we're exposed to, I'm not too worried about gluten.
    From my understanding most plant hybridization doesn't mutate in the way wheat did and does. When wheat is hybrid the chromosomes always double. In other hybrids the new plant doesn't change as much as wheat does.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...considering all the pesticides, plasticizers and flame retardants we're exposed to, I'm not too worried about gluten.
    Word
    Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
    ~Leonard Cohen

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ~Dalai Lama XIV

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gluten free because I have had issues with my stomach since I was a kid. Removing gluten helped. I find it pretty easy though eating in restaurants can be a bit of an issue but not eating meat is more of a problem. That being said, I don't understand why so many people are removing it from their diet even though they didn't have stomach issues. If you don't have a problem, then you don't need to remove it from your diet.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it can be a personal decision based on information about the effects on ones overall health aside from an allergy.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    I'm gluten free because I have had issues with my stomach since I was a kid. Removing gluten helped.
    I have a friend who gets a serious bout of diarrhea after ingesting anything with gluten in it. Gluten free is definitely good for my friend.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sky. View Post
    From my understanding most plant hybridization doesn't mutate in the way wheat did and does. When wheat is hybrid the chromosomes always double. In other hybrids the new plant doesn't change as much as wheat does.
    The only difference in wheat is it is a composite of three different grass species, that doesn't increase the mutation rate and it doesn't *keep* doubling the chromosomes. There were two major events in the past. Mind you, it's only bread wheat that has all three complete genomes, durum wheat (used in noodles) has 1/3 less.

But again, plenty of hybridization has lead to chromosome doubling. For example cultivated strawberries are a combination of two species. Maize has a massive amount of extra DNA compared to the wild ancestor (cultivated maize has a genome the size of the human genome). Part of the reason for this is, in plants larger genomes tend to make the plant itself larger, thus if humans are selecting for bigger yields, larger plants tend to provide that.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But people and the food industry don't have balance. Wheat is in many foods and so is gluten. The hybridized wheat is also whole wheat. Whole wheat may be slightly better for you than processed wheat but just because its better for you doesn't mean it's good for you.

Here is a link for further reading and how we got the wheat that we have today.

http://spiritualityhealth.com/articles/wheat-belly

The Begetting of Modern Wheat

Back in Neolithic times, einkorn was mated with another wheat and begat emmer, another wheat found in ancient tombs and still available in modern health food stores. (In fact, emmer is prized in places like Tuscany, where it’s raised under the name farro.) A big difference between einkorn and its progeny is that einkorn has 14 chromosomes and emmer has 28. Then emmer was mated with goat grass, which has 14 chromosomes and, more important, unique glutenin genes. The progeny of emmer and goat grass was essentially modern wheat, which has 42 chromosones and the gluten that makes modern bread chewy, elastic, and shapely.

In early times, plant hybridization was hit or miss and very gradual, depending on local farmers and local conditions. In the nineteenth century, plant genealogy and sophisticated breeding techniques began earning serious attention; nevertheless, modern wheat remained essentially the same until the mid-twentieth century, when the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (IMWIC) and other wheat research centers set out to combat world hunger. Over the following decades, thousands of new varieties were created to dramatically increase yields. According to World Wheat Facts and Trends, yields in China, now the world’s largest producer, have increased from eight to sixty-five bushels per acre. Some of these advances are attributable to nitrogen-rich fertilizers but also to the development of high-yielding dwarf wheat, with a large head and shorter, stouter straw, sturdy enough to support the extra weight without buckling. Some recent estimates have dwarf and semi-dwarf wheat comprising as much as 99 percent of all wheat worldwide.

According to Davis’s research, personal consumption of wheat has grown along with crop yields. For example, the average American now eats 133 pounds of wheat per year, 26 pounds more than in 1970. Davis again: “In parallel with increased consumption, we also have the silent replacement of wheat from four-foot-tall triticum aestivum with high-yield dwarf strains and new gluten structures not previously consumed by humans.”

Our Experiment in Mystery Wheat

As Davis writes, “The oversight in the flurry of breeding activity, such as that conducted at IMWIC, was that, despite dramatic changes in the genetic makeup of wheat and other crops, no animal or human safety testing was conducted on the new genetic strains that were created. So intent were the efforts to increase yield, so confident were plant geneticists that hybridization yielded safe products for human consumption, so urgent was the cause of world hunger, that these products of agricultural research were released into the food supply without human safety concerns being part of the equation.”

A wheat hybrid, for example, retains approximately 95 percent of its parent’s proteins, while the other 5 percent of proteins are new and may have novel characteristics. Gluten proteins seem especially susceptible to structural changes. One hybridization experiment cited in Wheat Belly created 14 new gluten proteins. Remember, these are individual experiments involving only two parents; over the past 60 years, many thousand such hybridizations have accrued in your breakfast bagel. If Davis is right, such relentless hybridization created almost infinite opportunities for wheat to go wrong.

http://spiritualityhealth.com/articles/wheat-belly
    The only difference in wheat is it is a composite of three different grass species, that doesn't increase the mutation rate and it doesn't *keep* doubling the chromosomes. There were two major events in the past. Mind you, it's only bread wheat that has all three complete genomes, durum wheat (used in noodles) has 1/3 less.

But again, plenty of hybridization has lead to chromosome doubling. For example cultivated strawberries are a combination of two species. Maize has a massive amount of extra DNA compared to the wild ancestor (cultivated maize has a genome the size of the human genome). Part of the reason for this is, in plants larger genomes tend to make the plant itself larger, thus if humans are selecting for bigger yields, larger plants tend to provide that.

Well okay big guy. I read the book and it had some pretty awesome information about the changes to wheat over the years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 797 Posts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I warn my 100-year-old grandma about the dangers of gluten? I don't want her to die young.
    grace & peace

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think bread is basically just a butter transporter anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 2,102 Posts

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 16th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Gluten-free food. What do you think of the gluten free craze?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    It would have been horrible news when I was in kindergarten still eating paste and paper mache~!
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,214 Times in 10,099 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Should I warn my 100-year-old grandma about the dangers of gluten? I don't want her to die young.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,139 Times in 6,309 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    What's a gluten?
    The only healthy part of wheat.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Tambora (October 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doctors now days are recommending gluten free or wheat free diets for people with diabetes and high cholesterol also for obesity. There are some studies that say that some people can avoid medications for diabetes and high cholesterol by going wheat free.
    Unless there si a significant difference in what is considered evidence based medicine between the USA and Australia (which I doubt) this is not hte case. Doctors do not normally advise gluten free diets unless a there is a confirmed reaction to it (i.e. coeliac)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,139 Times in 6,309 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some studies that say that some people can avoid medications for diabetes and high cholesterol by going wheat free.
    There is no cholesterol in plant life. Plants have fiber, animals and people have cholesterol, the steroid for cell structure.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Tambora (October 12th, 2017)

Thread Information