User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: toldailytopic: To circumcise or not circumcise. What should Christian parents do?

  1. #16
    Over 2000 post club Alate_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,456
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 211 Times in 162 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    80743
    Quote Originally Posted by xAvarice View Post
    Then why include it?
    Actually its a rather variable trait. Lots are born with little to no foreskin, others have a lot. You could view circumcision as a way of stanardizing everyone. It also has some medical benefits. In my family's case there have been problems for the uncircumcised males in the family later in life.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

    Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

    The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

    What Darwin Never Knew

  2. #17
    Over 1000 post club Dena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2386
    I don't see any good reason for a Christian to circumcise their child.

  3. #18
    Over 750 post club Doormat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In a temple made without hands.
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2434
    Circumcision is genital mutilation. Doing it to children is barbaric, needlessly subjecting them to pain, suffering and potential sexual dysfunction.

    Consider that circumcision today does not resemble the circumcision God commanded. Originally, the Hebrews only cut off the tip of the foreskin, unlike the radical circumcision of today that can cause irreparable damage to the frenulum and consequently sexual dysfunction later in life.

    If you believe there are benefits to circumcision, I suggest you allow a boy to mature to the point that he can decide for himself if that is what he wants. Research the adverse effects of circumcision. Read the stories of men who have suffered from the genital mutilation imposed on them.
    So they took him and killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard.

  4. #19
    Over 750 post club Doormat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In a temple made without hands.
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2434
    Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    It is quite a painful procedure for an adult.
    Considering one estimate is 96% of infant circumcisions are performed without anesthesia, how do you imagine it feels for a child? At least the adult can give informed consent and understands what is being done to him.
    So they took him and killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard.

  5. #20
    Over 1500 post club Vaquero45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,616
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    322274
    It's not a "Biblical" thing to do in this dispensation. (and I have also read that it isn't even the same, like Doormat said) I think an adult should decide what modifications they want performed on their own crotch.
    Marge: "Aren't you going to give him the last rites?"
    Rev. Lovejoy: "That's Catholic, Marge - you might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance."



    "Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered the next round.

    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

  6. #21
    Silver Member Ktoyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama and Florida
    Posts
    8,089
    Thanks
    1,416
    Thanked 4,139 Times in 3,034 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147686
    Quote Originally Posted by xAvarice View Post
    God's design eh?
    Pretty disgusting.
    Be serious
    So, what?

    believe it!

  7. #22
    Silver Member Ktoyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama and Florida
    Posts
    8,089
    Thanks
    1,416
    Thanked 4,139 Times in 3,034 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147686
    I think it more a custom, you may choose, or not choose
    So, what?

    believe it!

  8. #23
    Silver Member Ktoyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama and Florida
    Posts
    8,089
    Thanks
    1,416
    Thanked 4,139 Times in 3,034 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147686
    Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    I don't see any good reason for a Christian to circumcise their child.
    I will agree
    So, what?

    believe it!

  9. #24
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    472
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    However, there are those adult males who suffer from chronic infections who wind up having circumcision of necessity. It is quite a painful procedure for an adult.
    Infants are actually more sensitive to pain than adult humans. Circumcision is an extremely painful experience for babies, so painful that it can cause neurogenic shock.

    What is "neurogenic shock"? See: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Neurogenic_shock

    For more information, see here: http://www.drmomma.org/2009/11/circu...s-it-hurt.html

  10. #25
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,678
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    219702
    Qua Christian, I don't think that it matters one way or the other.
    "If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I do assure you that, in spite of the gravity of your sins 'you shall receive a never fading crown of glory.' [2] Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in Hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practise black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if----and mark well what I say----if you say the Holy Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon for your sins" (St. Louis Marie de Montfort, Secret of the Rosary, Red Rose).

  11. #26
    Over 3000 post club oatmeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,625
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 95 Times in 78 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    34202
    We are no longer under the law.

    Circumcision of the heart is a much better choice. Our hearts need reflect our commitment to God's truths.
    "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

    "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

    Pro scripture = Protestant

  12. #27
    I am Miss America because I say so, you must agree Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    Posts
    15,935
    Thanks
    21,714
    Thanked 16,064 Times in 10,191 Posts

    Blog Entries
    52
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147708
    I don't know what kind of hospital you had your child done at, but the one i used gave my son pain medicine before they did it.
    <a href=http://theologyonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23146&d=1455650224 target=_blank>http://theologyonline.com/attachment...6&d=1455650224</a>

    "Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

    LoneStar (April 10th, 2016),Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

  14. #28
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    637
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Actually its a rather variable trait. Lots are born with little to no foreskin, others have a lot. You could view circumcision as a way of stanardizing everyone.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that. But you don't really need to know the nuances when you reject it based on lack of consent, a pedophiles preference, etc.

    As for standardisation... Why? Variety is the spice of life. (In reference to other things varied not foreskin).

    I'm sure all of you are aware of the pedophillic circumcision method practised (and from what I know) still legal in New York?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    Be serious
    Woof.

  15. #29
    Pep! Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,553
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked 12,493 Times in 9,617 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1704372
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    toldailytopic: To circumcise or not circumcise. What should Christian parents do?
    Religiously it doesn't matter. Beyond that I have no opinion, as I do not know very much about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by This Charming Manc View Post
    Go with culture and medical advice, its not a spiritual issue any more.
    I almost completely agree with this; I don't care about culture, but the rest is spot on.


  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    LoneStar (April 10th, 2016)

  17. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,790
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    However, there are those adult males who suffer from chronic infections who wind up having circumcision of necessity. It is quite a painful procedure for an adult.
    All I know is that a long time ago a father of a boyfriend had his son circumcised when he was born here in the States because when he had been born in Holland he was not circumcised. This father said it was a lot of trouble for him and he wanted to save his son from that.



    The act as part of a religion bears remembering because who doesn't want to understand the spiritual message?
    But I agree it is not given to Christianity.

    And who dares talk about barbaric? You would not have sex then since females are virgins?
    Last edited by rainee; May 19th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us