User Tag List

Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Once a person is saved can they reject that salvation should they chan

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    What if someone rejects their spouse but the other person, who is in authoritarian charge of the court system, refuses to divorce?

Similar? No?
    Salvation is not deterministic. Just as a marriage relationship can be broken in real life (authoritarian courts are not akin to God's moral government based on love/free will), so can salvation. To say a person was never married because they divorce is a lame argument akin to OSAS arguments.

Apostasy is an extreme issue, not akin to a fight in a marriage that does not end the relationship (fleshly sins, etc.).
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,854 Posts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godrulz View Post
    Salvation is not deterministic. Just as a marriage relationship can be broken in real life (authoritarian courts are not akin to God's moral government based on love/free will), so can salvation. To say a person was never married because they divorce is a lame argument akin to OSAS arguments.

Apostasy is an extreme issue, not akin to a fight in a marriage that does not end the relationship (fleshly sins, etc.).
    What scripture says you can walk away?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    What scripture says you can walk away?
    What Scripture says you cannot? There are verses that are stern warnings about the possibility of falling away in addition to ones about the security of the believer with conditional aspects. The only way to embrace all relevant verses is conditional vs unconditional eternal security.

Given free will, the concept is self-evident.
    Last edited by godrulz; May 12th, 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,854 Posts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What Scripture says you cannot? There are verses that are stern warnings about the possibility of falling away in addition to ones about the security of the believer with conditional aspects. The only way to embrace all relevant verses is conditional vs unconditional eternal security.

Given free will, the concept is self-evident.
    John 10:28-29

King James Version (KJV)

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, when a person is regenerate, they become a new creature in Christ. And God Who began the good work (of justification, sanctification and glorification) will complete that work at the day of Christ.

Granted, those who argue for eternal security from an Arminian or an Open Theist position will have to argue from the other side of their mouth on this.
    αξιον εστιν το αρνιον
    Worthy is the Lamb

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    John 10:28-29

King James Version (KJV)

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    Romans 8 also says that nothing can separate us from His love. Demons, men, persecution, etc. cannot remove a man from relationship with God, but a person's mind and will in rejection of truth and light can. The Calvinistic proof texts also have a conditional element in the broader context (such as present tense of believing and continuing to believe; hearing and continuing to hear/follow Him).

You cannot use this verse to create a contradiction with the apostasy/falling away verses. The way to retain both motifs is to have the right view: conditional vs unconditional security.

A verse about believers (those who believe and continue to believe vs cease to believe and become unbelievers) is true. We have security as believers, but this does not prove that a believer cannot become an unbeliever (and thus not have life/security...the reality has changed).

Thanks
    Thanked 40,135 Times in 20,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 10th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Once a person is saved can they reject that salvation should they change their mind about wanting to be with God in heaven?

No, once you submit to the operation of God, you are bought and paid for...... His work on you has begun.

Colossians 2:11-13
    In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Those who are sons of God will never be forsaken, neither can they hide from His LONG ARM. I'd advise they surrender quickly to any chastening along the way. It would save them a world of grief.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Angel4Truth (April 11th, 2016),LoneStar (April 10th, 2016),Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,441 Times in 4,930 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

No. Grace is a gift that once accepted transfers ownership. You are no longer your own.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 47,437 Times in 29,249 Posts

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimfoxy View Post
    Seems to me to be impossible to lose salvation. I know the standard arguments pro and con, but that is where I come out. I think the weight of scripture supports the view of eternal security.
    I concur.
    Welcome to TOL.

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

Angel4Truth (April 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,966 Times in 6,976 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not one person is going to get to heaven and say "I changed my mind, I want to go to hell and be gone from him" instead.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Tambora (October 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    No, once you submit to the operation of God, you are bought and paid for...... His work on you has begun.
    Different thread, but you are still wrong. Salvation is about making dead people alive. As you just quoted, therefore defeating your own statement. If salvation was about turning over a new leaf, then he died for nothing.

Romans 7

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

Therefore

Romans 8:10

10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:16

16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Scripture says you cannot?
    As if you have not been shown right here, thousands, literally thousands of times. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. You are going to hell.

Titus 1

Ephesians 5

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    No. Grace is a gift that once accepted transfers ownership. You are no longer your own.
    Further we belonged to Him in the first place.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salvation is not deterministic.
    You mean Paul was wrong to say "who He foreknew He also predestined..." strange that you should change a bible word and substitute an equivilent, why would you do that?
    Just as a marriage relationship can be broken in real life (authoritarian courts are not akin to God's moral government based on love/free will), so can salvation. To say a person was never married because they divorce is a lame argument akin to OSAS arguments.
    Bible marriages were arranged, Moses recognised divorce God did not, even so God asks "where is My bill of divorce?" there is none...can you find them? we have His espousals
    Judas is that rare...are there any others in the NT? Judas was never saved.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,583 Times in 22,522 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once one is, truly saved and in the body of Christ and the Holy
    Spirit is within them (indwelled) they are sealed and cannot lose
    their forgiveness, mercy, and eternal life that, God has bestowed
    upon them, through the shed blood and resurrection of His Son!

Christ is, in them, and they are, in Christ, there's no turning back,
    nor would any true believer desire to go back!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thread Information