User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 119

Thread: toldailytopic: In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidenc

  1. #91
    Over 1500 post club Silent Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 152 Times in 124 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27291
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    The odds of the order we have coming into existence by happenstance are so astronomical I am dumbfounded anyone truly believes it;
    Since we ARE here the odds, by definition, MUST BE 1:1 . . . .
    "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

  2. #92
    Over 1500 post club Silent Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 152 Times in 124 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27291
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley View Post
    I'll have to join Silent Hunter with a drink.
    "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

  3. #93
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    In your opinion what are some of the most convincing peices of evidence that God exists?

    I don't believe in the empirical approach, so I'd say the only convincing evidence for any adherent is found in the experience of God. Before that it's either a gamble or utility or both.

    Yeh I'm a big fan of Heb 11:1, and I do agree some people employ Pascal's Wager even though not knowingly.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  4. #94
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    Since we ARE here the odds, by definition, MUST BE 1:1 . . . .

    I guess you know nothing about odds then.

    Not surprisingly, a huge number of scientists have tried to calculate the probability of life arising by a chemical accident. The results of their calculations reveal the enormity of the dilemma faced by evolutionists. In the 1970’s British astronomer Sir Frederick Hoyle, an evolutionist, set out to calculate the mathematical probability of the spontaneous origin of life from a primordial soup environment.
    Applying the laws of chemistry, mathematical probability and thermodynamics, he calculated the odds of the spontaneous generation of the simplest known free-living life form on earth - a bacterium. He determined that the probability of such an event is one chance in ten to the 40 thousandth power. Hoyle stated: “the likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40 thousand zeros after it. It is enough to bury Darwin and the whole theory of evolution, he said.
    Mathematicians tell us if an event has a probability which is less likely than one chance in 10 to just the 50th power, then that event is mathematically impossible. Again we’re talking about one chance in ten to the 40 thousandth power. Prior to his project, Hoyle was a believer in the spontaneous generation of life. This project, however, changed his opinion 180 degrees. Now look around you at the abundance of life you see. How impossible is it that all of what you observed just accidentally formed. If you’re honest with yourself, you must admit the odds of it being accidental are impossible. The only other option is that it was created by God.
    ~Carl Ramsey~


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  5. #95
    Over 1500 post club Silent Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 152 Times in 124 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27291
    Quote Originally Posted by StanJ53 View Post
    I guess you know nothing about odds then.
    .

    Not surprisingly, a huge number of scientists have tried to calculate the probability of life arising by a chemical accident. The results of their calculations reveal the enormity of the dilemma faced by evolutionists. In the 1970’s British astronomer Sir Frederick Hoyle, an evolutionist, set out to calculate the mathematical probability of the spontaneous origin of life from a primordial soup environment.
    Applying the laws of chemistry, mathematical probability and thermodynamics, he calculated the odds of the spontaneous generation of the simplest known free-living life form on earth - a bacterium. He determined that the probability of such an event is one chance in ten to the 40 thousandth power. Hoyle stated: “the likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40 thousand zeros after it. It is enough to bury Darwin and the whole theory of evolution, he said.
    Mathematicians tell us if an event has a probability which is less likely than one chance in 10 to just the 50th power, then that event is mathematically impossible. Again we’re talking about one chance in ten to the 40 thousandth power. Prior to his project, Hoyle was a believer in the spontaneous generation of life. This project, however, changed his opinion 180 degrees. Now look around you at the abundance of life you see. How impossible is it that all of what you observed just accidentally formed. If you’re honest with yourself, you must admit the odds of it being accidental are impossible. The only other option is that it was created by God.
    ~Carl Ramsey~
    Life exists, therefore, it follows that the odds of life arising by chance HAS TO BE 1:1 . . . QED.
    "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

  6. #96
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    .

    Life exists, therefore, it follows that the odds of life arising by chance HAS TO BE 1:1 . . . QED.


    Guess you didn't quite get the OP did you?

    Life exists because God exists. If you want to play word games go to the humor forum.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  7. #97
    Over 1500 post club Silent Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 152 Times in 124 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27291
    Quote Originally Posted by StanJ53 View Post
    Guess you didn't quite get the OP did you?


    Life exists because God exists.
    Prove it.

    If you want to play word games go to the humor forum.
    Word game, eh?

    . . . from the OP . . . "In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidence that God exists?"

    Your response should be . . . "Life exists. I believe that this is convincing evidence that my particular version of deity exists."

    But, then again, you're not that sharp . . .

    Last edited by Silent Hunter; May 13th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
    "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

  8. #98
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post

    Prove it.

    Disprove it!



    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    Word game, eh?

    . . . from the OP . . . "In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidence that God exists?"

    Your response should be . . . "Life exists. I believe that this is convincing evidence that my particular version of deity exists."

    But, then again, you're not that sharp . . .

    Glad you can read, I said LIFE, you added the editorial comment bozo.
    The OP is about why God exists, NOT why you exist, or why life like you exists.
    If you have something tangible to contribute, by all means do so. All this buzzing around just means sooner or later you'll get smacked down.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  9. #99
    Over 1500 post club Vaquero45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,616
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 138 Times in 129 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    348078
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley View Post
    See Vaquero's post #59, thanks Vaquero.



    It will convince someone, just not everyone . . . sadly . . . I'll have to join Silent Hunter with a drink.
    I edited out the link to the huge debate in #59 and added this link instead, (also by Hilston ) it's a great answer for Dena also, and much easier to read.

    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...&postcount=118
    Marge: "Aren't you going to give him the last rites?"
    Rev. Lovejoy: "That's Catholic, Marge - you might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance."



    "Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered the next round.

    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

  10. #100
    Over 1500 post club Silent Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 152 Times in 124 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27291
    Quote Originally Posted by StanJ53 View Post
    Disprove it!
    You're the one with the burden of proof, not me.

    Glad you can read, I said LIFE, you added the editorial comment bozo.
    . . . because it is your argument . . .

    The OP is about why God exists, NOT why you exist, or why life like you exists.
    No . . . the OP is about ARGUMENTS as to why your version of deity exists. That life exists is a pretty good one . . . though not a great one.
    If you have something tangible to contribute, by all means do so. All this buzzing around just means sooner or later you'll get smacked down.
    "Smacked down?" By you? .
    "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

  11. #101
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    You're the one with the burden of proof, not me.

    No . . . the OP is about ARGUMENTS as to why your version of deity exists. That life exists is a pretty good one . . . though not a great one.
    "Smacked down?" By you? .


    Maybe you didn't notice this is a Christian site. You come on here at the owner's leisure. We already KNOW God exists. Here it is a fact.

    No, the OP is; In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidence that God exists?
    Nothing about a version of a deity. God is God, there is NO other.
    As usual people of your ilk like to equivocate and play word games.
    It could be me or any other Christian on this site. You're not what I would call a challenge, serious or otherwise.
    Just another clown.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  12. #102
    SHAZAM! Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,740
    Thanks
    1,195
    Thanked 13,399 Times in 10,258 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147887
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    Since we ARE here the odds, by definition, MUST BE 1:1 . . . .


    The odds that life exists are 1:1; the odds of life coming into existence by happenstance are quite the opposite.

    But don't be disappointed, I didn't expect you to be any smarter than you are.


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (November 29th, 2017)

  14. #103
    Over 1500 post club Silent Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Posts
    1,907
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 152 Times in 124 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    27291
    Quote Originally Posted by StanJ53 View Post
    Maybe you didn't notice this is a Christian site. You come on here at the owner's leisure. We already KNOW God exists. Here it is a fact.
    So, you're a gnostic christian . . . good for you . . . .

    No, the OP is; In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidence that God exists?
    Yeah, I quoted that one too . . . you bolded it and I didn't . . . as if that made a difference . . . .

    Nothing about a version of a deity. God is God, there is NO other.
    There are other deities in your version of the christian religion . . . three in fact . . . many would say that that is . . . .

    As usual people of your ilk like to equivocate and play word games.
    . . . and you seem to think that by bullying others you'll get your way . . . .

    It could be me or any other Christian on this site.
    Maybe it is you . . . .

    You're not what I would call a challenge, serious or otherwise.
    You're not worth my time . . . .

    Just another clown.
    StanJ53 . . . just another .
    Last edited by Silent Hunter; May 14th, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
    "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

  15. #104
    TOL Legend Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    Posts
    17,112
    Thanks
    26,802
    Thanked 18,755 Times in 11,887 Posts

    Blog Entries
    52
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147747
    Because He makes Himself known in everything.

    Romans 1:19-20

    "Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

  16. #105
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    So, you're a gnostic christian . . . good for you . . . .

    Yeah, I quoted that one too . . . you bolded it and I didn't . . . as if that made a difference . . . .

    There are other deities in your version of the christian religion . . . three in fact . . . many would say that that is . . . .

    . . . and you seem to think that by bullying others you'll get your way . . . .

    Maybe it is you . . . .

    You're not worth my time . . . .

    StanJ53 . . . just another .


    and you just another fool relegated to my ignore list as you really have shown you have NOTHING of importance or even relevance to say.



    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us