User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidenc

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,025 Times in 9,149 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Comet View Post
    What more do I need?
    An answer for some of the more probing questions.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
    "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

Thanks
    Thanked 13,399 Times in 10,258 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    toldailytopic: In your opinion what are some of the most convincing peices of evidence that God exists?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Anything physical.
    I'm going to have to agree with this guy; whoever he is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Tambora (November 29th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, there are three strong arguments/evidences in favor of the existence of God.

One is the fact that existence is ordered. The energy that is being expressed as the universe is not being expressed as pure chaos. There are limits within the expressed chaos that enable order to occur. And it's through the relationship between chaos and order that the universe exists as it does. This simple and unavoidable fact forces us to consider the origin of those limitations, from which order has sprung. It doesn't prove that God exists, but it certainly invites the mind to contemplate this mysterious creative source, and the possibility of some purpose to existence (as order implies purpose).

The second is the phenomena of gestalt. Gestalt is a physical, biological, psychological, or symbolic configuration or pattern of elements that, when unified as a whole, its properties cannot be derived from a simple summation of its parts. The configuration results in a phenomena that far surpasses the possibilities inherent in the sum of the parts being configured. As an example: matter from energy, life from matter, and consciousness from living matter. Each opens up a whole new realm of existential possibilities that were not previously enabled and were not endemic to the elements involved. Gestalt shows us that the possibilities inherent within existence transcend our comprehension of it. And thus throws the door wide open to the very real possibility of God.

And the third bit of strong evidence for the existence of God is experiential. We humans need for God to exist, and that need is being fulfilled. It is built into our nature as human beings to seek the answers to those existential questions we have about the origin, nature, and purpose of our own being. And we acquired our nature through our place within the nature of the universe as a whole. In a very real way, the universe is contemplating it's own existence, through us. All of existence is seeking God.

Atheists like to use the "God of the gaps" argument against theism, but they completely overlook the real significance of their own observations, which is that the gap exists! The gap is there, and is real, and is within us all, even the atheists, themselves. It is that gap that causes us to need and to seek after God in the first place. And that gap, that need, is there as an expression of the whole universe, as we are manifestations of the universe expressing itself.

I've heard all the atheist's arguments against these evidences, and have found that they just don't hold their water.

Over 1500 post club lovemeorhateme's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My answer may not be scientific or complicated, but for me the greatest thing that convinces me of the existence of God is the beauty of nature and the miracle of life. As I look at the beauty of a sunrise, the majesty of mountains, the beauty all over the world I am convinced of God's existance. I see Him in His creation. I remember a few years ago I was in the highlands of Scotland and as I watched the sunrise over the mountains I was reminded of the scripture which says:

'The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
    Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.'
    It's impossible for my mind to imagine life ever coming about in any other way than being created. Life can't spontaneously form itself. The complexity of the human body and the very fact that we are alive is a miracle. No one can convince me that this just came about by some kind of cosmic accident.

Another thing that convinces me of the existance of God is the change which happened in my own life after coming to know Him. My life has completely turned around, and I know I could never have done that in my own strength. If not for God, I would not be the person I am today.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Winner of TOL Post of the Year 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 13,399 Times in 10,258 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The odds of the order we have coming into existence by happenstance are so astronomical I am dumbfounded anyone truly believes it; in fact I'm actually convinced they don't actually believe it as much as they'd like us to believe they do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply stating that creation happened by sheer chance is paramount to saying that given enough time a landslide will occur where the trees will be trimmed into planks, sand formed into windows, animal fur will be somehow made into carpets and furniture will appear and a house will 'accidentally' build itself. The human body is FAR more complex than a house and yet fools imagine that we evolved from monkeys formed from amphibians, fish or even the 'primordial ooze' that brought all this about... it's easier to believe the plot of a 'B' sci-fi movie than such nonsense. As God's Word says: He is known, they simply are without excuse because they're not glorifying Him as God. They know, they simply deny in their innermost being because they're in enmity against everything that is called: "God." They flat out deny God and yet they wonder why...

...God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

It's because their understanding is darkened by their own un-belief. They are self-deceived. They walk around saying: "Why is there so much evil in the world if there really is a god?" Yet they do not look to His Word for understanding. They do not seek God, they seek the pleasures of sin, which are only for a season.
    "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

Veteran
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 9th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidence that God exists?

physically DNA, spiritually Messiahs word.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

toldailytopic: In your opinion what are some of the most convincing pieces of evidence that God exists?
    Aquinas Five Ways are also quite good. A modern explanation can be found here.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    An answer for some of the more probing questions.
    Nah. That's a "want," not a "need."
    “Behind the barricades of pre-established structures, the foxes of the intellect may engage in clever reasoning, but the lion of Being continues to roar outside the gate.” ~ Tarthang Tulku

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,025 Times in 9,149 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with this guy; whoever he is.
    They'll let any old riff-raff in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Comet View Post
    Nah. That's a "want," not a "need."

Good point.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 9th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    The cosmological argument.

I don't think empirical evidence makes a good cause for or against a god.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    No . . . it doesn't.
    Yes...it does.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    He has an argument? Cynics and naysayers always have so much trouble making those.

They like to assert what isn't but rarely want to speak of what they assert is.
    Perhaps claim would have been a better choice of words. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The fact is that there is something, and that speaks to the idea that something has always been.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    Why is it irrational?
    See Vaquero's post #59, thanks Vaquero.

It is not impossible that god/s do not exist. Therefore, that is not evidence. All you provided here was some circular logic. This won't convince anyone.
    It will convince someone, just not everyone . . . sadly . . . I'll have to join Silent Hunter with a drink.
    "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

Thread Information