User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 91

Thread: toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to public school

  1. #61
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,146
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 13,025 Times in 9,149 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147854
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Accurate representations of skeletal structure.
    Guesses based on the desire to show evolution.

    You can keep ignoring reality but trying to shield children from it is dangerous to their faith.
    Questioning the accuracy of your cartoons is dangerous for children now? Have you gone insane?

    You mean the part about the earth bringing forth living creatures?
    What happened to the bible not being a science book? What happened to the part where all this happened in one day?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

  3. #62
    Over 2000 post club Alate_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,464
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 222 Times in 169 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    95010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Guesses based on the desire to show evolution.
    Drawings of skeletal structure. I'm sure you don't have problems with other skeletal drawings, only ones that might imply you're wrong. But here are the originals. One you would call a bird. The other not.





    Questioning the accuracy of your cartoons is dangerous for children now? Have you gone insane?
    Presenting well established science as if it is falsehood is dangerous for children.

    What happened to the bible not being a science book? What happened to the part where all this happened in one day?
    It isn't a science book. But it doesn't say HOW the creatures were created. God speaks and the earth brings forth. How? We aren't told, because it isn't a science book.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

    Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

    The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

    What Darwin Never Knew

  4. #63
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked 3,304 Times in 2,096 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    619468
    Quote Originally Posted by csuguy View Post
    To a certain extent yes - but they do not teach religion or a philosophy
    Wrong, whether you care to agree or not, public schools in fact teach a religion. The religion of "there is no God."
    The state — whatever its particular forms — always expresses itself as a collective form of property ownership. All political systems are socialistic, in that they are premised upon the subservience of individual interests to collective authority. Communism, fascism, lesser forms of state socialism, and welfarism, are all premised upon the state’s usurpation of privately-owned property. Whether one chooses to be aligned with the political "Left," "Right," or "Middle," comes down to nothing more than a preference for a particular franchise of state socialism.

  5. #64
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    I guess you would know, being such a good example,,,,,,,,,,,,,


    Don't start with me again.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  6. #65
    Over 2000 post club Alate_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,464
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 222 Times in 169 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    95010
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Wrong, whether you care to agree or not, public schools in fact teach a religion. The religion of "there is no God."
    I went through public schools through part of my education. I must have missed that teaching. In fact, I had teachers express the opposite. But hey, don't let reality get to you.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

    Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

    The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

    What Darwin Never Knew

  7. #66
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Wrong, whether you care to agree or not, public schools in fact teach a religion. The religion of "there is no God."

    That is taught everywhere, NOT just in public schools. This is why we are admonished in scripture to "Train up a child in the WAY he should go".
    Prov 22:6
    Sending them OFF to school is not the answer. Staying involved as they attend school and making sure they question EVERYTHING they are taught against the teachings of the Bible is also important. This also goes for sending them off to Sunday school. If you don't know what's being taught, how can you make sure they are being properly taught. It is the parents responsibility to ensure that everything coming into their child's life is FILTERED through the Word of God, and not censored by limiting their exposure to the world.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  8. #67
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked 3,304 Times in 2,096 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    619468
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    I went through public schools through part of my education. I must have missed that teaching. In fact, I had teachers express the opposite. But hey, don't let reality get to you.
    Then it should be no problem teaching creation then one would think. And your really gonna say God is in the public school system?
    The state — whatever its particular forms — always expresses itself as a collective form of property ownership. All political systems are socialistic, in that they are premised upon the subservience of individual interests to collective authority. Communism, fascism, lesser forms of state socialism, and welfarism, are all premised upon the state’s usurpation of privately-owned property. Whether one chooses to be aligned with the political "Left," "Right," or "Middle," comes down to nothing more than a preference for a particular franchise of state socialism.

  9. #68
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Then it should be no problem teaching creation then one would think. And your really gonna say God is in the public school system?

    The fact is God is everywhere, but I didn't see AO say what you just asserted he did, so let's not start equivocating.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  10. #69
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked 3,304 Times in 2,096 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    619468
    Quote Originally Posted by StanJ53 View Post
    That is taught everywhere, NOT just in public schools. This is why we are admonished in scripture to "Train up a child in the WAY he should go".
    Prov 22:6
    Sending them OFF to school is not the answer. Staying involved as they attend school and making sure they question EVERYTHING they are taught against the teachings of the Bible is also important. This also goes for sending them off to Sunday school. If you don't know what's being taught, how can you make sure they are being properly taught. It is the parents responsibility to ensure that everything coming into their child's life is FILTERED through the Word of God, and not censored by limiting their exposure to the world.
    I agree with you, we need to be involved in our children's education. But sending them to the synagogue of satan is not helping them in any way,shape or form.
    The state — whatever its particular forms — always expresses itself as a collective form of property ownership. All political systems are socialistic, in that they are premised upon the subservience of individual interests to collective authority. Communism, fascism, lesser forms of state socialism, and welfarism, are all premised upon the state’s usurpation of privately-owned property. Whether one chooses to be aligned with the political "Left," "Right," or "Middle," comes down to nothing more than a preference for a particular franchise of state socialism.

  11. #70
    Over 1000 post club csuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    31967
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Wrong, whether you care to agree or not, public schools in fact teach a religion. The religion of "there is no God."
    Incorrect - they do not teach either way. Some teachers are Christian and others are not, but the curriculum does not teach one either Christianity or some other religion or non-religion. I know this from having attended public school all my life.
    If you have material wealth, but do not give to those in need, then the love of God is not in you. Whatever you have done for the least of these you have done for HIM. To give to the poor is to lend to the LORD.

  12. #71
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked 3,304 Times in 2,096 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    619468
    Quote Originally Posted by StanJ53 View Post
    The fact is God is everywhere, but I didn't see AO say what you just asserted he did, so let's not start equivocating.
    Everywhere? I hate the cliche
    The state — whatever its particular forms — always expresses itself as a collective form of property ownership. All political systems are socialistic, in that they are premised upon the subservience of individual interests to collective authority. Communism, fascism, lesser forms of state socialism, and welfarism, are all premised upon the state’s usurpation of privately-owned property. Whether one chooses to be aligned with the political "Left," "Right," or "Middle," comes down to nothing more than a preference for a particular franchise of state socialism.

  13. #72
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    I agree with you, we need to be involved in our children's education. But sending them to the synagogue of satan is not helping them in any way,shape or form.

    That is overly dramatic. Let's get real. I sent 4 kids to public school. They learned both academics and HOW to resist the enemy. God is faithful and you give Satan way to much credit.
    1 John 4:4
    You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  14. #73
    TOL Legend drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked 3,304 Times in 2,096 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    619468
    Homeschooling and the Myth of Socialization

    by Manfred B. Zysk

    One of the silliest and most annoying comments made to homeschooling parents is, "Aren't you concerned about how your child will be able to socialize with others?". What is being implied here is that the homeschooled child is some kind of introverted misfit who cannot relate to other people, children, and the outside world. In reality, most of the homeschooled children that I have known and met are not only outgoing, but polite and respectful, too. This is a sharp contrast to the public school children that I have known, who can't relate to adults and whose behavior is rude and inconsiderate. Realistically, there are some exceptions on both sides.

    Isn't it interesting that amid all of the public school shootings over the past few years, the only comment that opponents of homeschooling can come up with is the red herring of "socialization"? You may have noticed, there haven't been shootings at private schools, or shootings inside of the homes of homeschooled children.

    Opponents of homeschooling can't complain about average test scores, since homeschooled children consistently outscore public school children, so they instead make a problem that doesn't exist.

    Who is responsible for creating this "socialization" problem? This myth has been perpetrated by sociologists, psychologists, public school administrators, the NEA (and local teacher's unions), etc., whenever they comment on homeschooling to the news media. These are the same people who give Ritalin (a very strong narcotic) and other drugs to schoolchildren, in place of discipline.

    A family member asked my wife, "Aren't you concerned about his (our son's) socialization with other kids?". My wife gave this response: "Go to your local middle school, junior high, or high school, walk down the hallways, and tell me which behavior you see that you think our son should emulate." Good answer.

    In order for children to become assimilated into society properly, it is important to have a variety of experiences and be exposed to differing opinions and views. This enables them to think for themselves and form their own opinions. This is exactly what public education does not want; public education is for the lowest common denominator and influencing all of the students to share the same views ("group-think") and thought-control through various means, including peer-pressure.

    Homeschooling allows parents the freedom to associate with other interested parties, visit local businesses, museums, libraries, etc. as part of school, and to interact with people of all ages in the community. For example, my son goes on field trips with other homeschooling families in our community. He recently was able to visit an audiologist, a McDonald's restaurant (to see how they run their operation), and several other similar activities. He gets to meet and talk to people of different ages doing interesting (and sometimes not so interesting) occupations. He spends a lot of his free time with kids older and younger than himself, and adults from twenty to over ninety years old.

    Meanwhile, in public school, children are segregated by age, and have very little interaction with other adults, except their teacher(s). This environment only promotes alienation from different age groups, especially adults. This is beginning to look like the real socialization problem.

    My wife and I like to bring our son with us when we are visiting with friends and other adults. How else will he learn to be an adult, if he never has contact with adults? He knows what kind of behavior we expect from him, and the consequences of his actions. He is often complimented on his good manners by friends and adults.

    In conclusion, homeschooling parents choose to homeschool for a variety of reasons, but I have never heard any homeschooling parent say that the reason they want to homeschool is to isolate their child from all of society. But, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for homeschooled children to stay away from public school administrators, the NEA members, sociologists, and others who cannot properly "socialize" with children.

    Go to your local public school, walk down the hallways and see what behaviors you would want your child to emulate.

    The state — whatever its particular forms — always expresses itself as a collective form of property ownership. All political systems are socialistic, in that they are premised upon the subservience of individual interests to collective authority. Communism, fascism, lesser forms of state socialism, and welfarism, are all premised upon the state’s usurpation of privately-owned property. Whether one chooses to be aligned with the political "Left," "Right," or "Middle," comes down to nothing more than a preference for a particular franchise of state socialism.

  15. #74
    Journeyman StanJ53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Everywhere? I hate the cliche

    Really? You don't believe God is Omnipresent? I guess that would be for another thread.


    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
    Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NIV)
    For this very reason, make every effort by your faith to produce virtue, by virtue knowledge, 6 by knowledge self-control, by self-control steadfastness, by steadfastness godliness, 7 by godliness brotherly affection, and by brotherly affection love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will make you effective and productive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

  16. #75
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,146
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 13,025 Times in 9,149 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147854
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Spoiler
    Now that's some real teaching material.

    Presenting well established science as if it is falsehood is dangerous for children.
    Drawing a cartoon and calling it well established science is lying. And teaching what is well-established is also very dangerous. Generally those things that are well-established are the most destructive.

    It isn't a science book. But it doesn't say HOW the creatures were created. God speaks and the earth brings forth. How? We aren't told, because it isn't a science book.
    You just told us how.

    God spoke and it happened. That's how.

    Pretending the bible leaves room for evolution by insisting on the primacy of one sentence and ignoring where it also says it happened in one day is dishonest.

    You're making a reputation for yourself.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (April 10th, 2016)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us