User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to public school

Thanks
    Thanked 47,437 Times in 29,249 Posts

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Since when is it the government’s job to provide my kid with friends?
    It's not.

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    I'm sorry you think homeschoolers are an isolated bunch, just shows you don't know much....
    You have to admit that kids who are home schooled are somewhat more isolated than kids who aren't - keeping your kids away from people who don't share their parents' beliefs is one of the reasons people home school to begin with. I know that there are social and academic activities for home schooled kids - but the very nature of the experience is limiting in it's scope.

Who would you be referring too by that? If you say christians, again you don't know much...
    I am referring to people like you, who jump on someone for advocating responsible and involved parenting that doesn't require home schooling.
    Always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn. Then, always be a unicorn.

“And every day, the world will drag you by the hand, yelling, ‘This is important! And this is important! And this is important! You need to worry about this! And this! And this!’ And each day, it’s up to you to yank your hand back, put it on your heart and say, ‘No. This is what’s important.’” –Iain Thomas

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in college you could always tell the kids that had come from very sheltered back grounds. For most of these kids it was the first time they were out from under Mom and Dads direct control. you could tell this from the fact that nearly every one of them made extremely poor choices. They simply had no idea how to deal with the readily available alcohol, sex and drugs. It was sad to watch these kids flunk out.

It is not our job as parents to protect our kids from things we don't like. It is our job as parents to teach our kids how to deal with things in life whether we like them or not.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is benefit in doing both but the public school education must be well monitored and false information such as evolution has to be countered with solid Biblically scientific information. The social environment has to be well monitored as well. I've witnessed too many homeschooled children out here in the country where we live and they're timid or just flat unsocialized. Homeschooling might be the better course of action in the cities where there are more things to do socially. The Amish children here are better equipped to deal with the world. They are taught together within their community and their parents take them into the world to experience it and become familiar with its stumbling blocks. I don't understand parents who homeschool their children and turn them loose in colleges. I've seen the disastrous effect of that foolishness way too many times. Even the small town colleges present enormous problems for homeschooled students. It takes real diligent parents bent on teaching not just facts and figures but also teaching the subtle wiles of HaSatan through people. Those sorts of parents are few and far between.
    I AM the pie lady!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Breathe View Post
    You have to admit that kids who are home schooled are somewhat more isolated than kids who aren't - keeping your kids away from people who don't share their parents' beliefs is one of the reasons people home school to begin with. I know that there are social and academic activities for home schooled kids - but the very nature of the experience is limiting in it's scope.

I am referring to people like you, who jump on someone for advocating responsible and involved parenting that doesn't require home schooling.
    This is simply untrue. I have several friends who "home-school" their kids. From my observation home-schooled children tend be more socially mature, outgoing, friendly, and respectful than the average public school kid. People who are against home-schooling tend to paint a picture of isolated kids never being allowed to spend time with other kids and are kept at home all the time. But that's not an accurate view. The thing is the term "home-schooled" is really a misnomer. The parents I know that home school their kids take their education very seriously. They augment their in-home teaching with many field trips to places like museums, City Hall to see how government works, the public library, and many other places. The kids are involved in sports and scouting as well. Home-schooled families tend to be very close had have lots of fun together. If my wife and I ever have kids we will most definitely home-school them. i can't wait to teach them about science, engineering, music, reading the classic American novels, and of course they will be "indoctrinated" as San Francisco Giants fans! :chuckle"
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Supreme Goombah of the Goombahs
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting aside the fact that public school has a different meaning on this side of the pond - I would have to say that it depends.

1) - What standard of school you have available - over here I would have to say that the state schools are generally pretty good

2) - How much time you have available to home-school and what support there is available for it.

I would have to say that home-schooling is pretty niche this side of the pond - largely because the state schools are generally fine.
    Trupp's Scientific Law:
    God exists

How to falsify:

Method 1 - Die, come back and tell me I'm wrong.
    Method 2 - Go back in time and verify whether Adam and Eve existed or not.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    This is simply untrue. I have several friends who "home-school" their kids. From my observation home-schooled children tend be more socially mature, outgoing, friendly, and respectful than the average public school kid. People who are against home-schooling tend to paint a picture of isolated kids never being allowed to spend time with other kids and are kept at home all the time. But that's not an accurate view. The thing is the term "home-schooled" is really a misnomer. The parents I know that home school their kids take their education very seriously. They augment their in-home teaching with many field trips to places like museums, City Hall to see how government works, the public library, and many other places. The kids are involved in sports and scouting as well. Home-schooled families tend to be very close had have lots of fun together. If my wife and I ever have kids we will most definitely home-school them. i can't wait to teach them about science, engineering, music, reading the classic American novels, and of course they will be "indoctrinated" as San Francisco Giants fans! :chuckle"
    I'm sorry, but there is no way that a child who is home schooled has as many opportunities to socialize with as varied a group of people as do children who go to regular schools. Now bear in mind - I am not saying they aren't socialized - just that the level of socialization is not as high as with a public situation. This is largely due to the availability of funds and opportunities within the public school system.

Please understand - I am not anti home schooling, just pro involved parenting. A good parent will have much more influence on their child's beliefs and behaviors than any peer or teacher - so it shouldn't matter where your child is schooled so much as it matters how involved in their life you are.

But since you admittedly do not have any children yet, I am not sure just how informed your opinion is.

“And every day, the world will drag you by the hand, yelling, ‘This is important! And this is important! And this is important! You need to worry about this! And this! And this!’ And each day, it’s up to you to yank your hand back, put it on your heart and say, ‘No. This is what’s important.’” –Iain Thomas

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry, but there is no way that a child who is home schooled has as many opportunities to socialize with as varied a group of people as do children who go to regular schools. Now bear in mind - I am not saying they aren't socialized - just that the level of socialization is not as high as with a public situation. This is largely due to the availability of funds and opportunities within the public school system.
    Speaking with MANY home-schooled parents this is simply untrue. Sitting in a classroom all day with other kids is not really "socializing". There is nothing special about spending all day with kids your own age passively listening to a teacher lecturing. Home-schooled kids spend lots of time with other kids their age, and other ages, participating in sports, scouting, camping, church activities, etc. Plus home-schooled kids interact with adults much more than kids in public schools due to their activities during regular school hours.
    Please understand - I am not anti home schooling, just pro involved parenting. A good parent will have much more influence on their child's beliefs and behaviors than any peer or teacher - so it shouldn't matter where your child is schooled so much as it matters how involved in their life you are.
    Sure, and a home-schooled kid gets to spend much more quality time with their parents which is a good thing.

But since you admittedly do not have any children yet, I am not sure just how informed your opinion is.
    I've know quite a few parents who home-school their children and I spoken to them at length about various home-schooling topics. My opinion comes from their direct input, their experiences as home-schooling parents, and my observations of home-schooled children.
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

. -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking with MANY home-schooled parents this is simply untrue. Sitting in a classroom all day with other kids is not really "socializing". There is nothing special about spending all day with kids your own age passively listening to a teacher lecturing. Home-schooled kids spend lots of time with other kids their age, and other ages, participating in sports, scouting, camping, church activities, etc. Plus home-schooled kids interact with adults much more than kids in public schools due to their activities during regular school hours.

Sure, and a home-schooled kid gets to spend much more quality time with their parents which is a good thing.

I've know quite a few parents who home-school their children and I spoken to them at length about various home-schooling topics. My opinion comes from their direct input and their experiences as home-schooling parents.
    Knowing parents and being a parent are two completely different animals. Believe me, you don't know diddly yet. But it is an awesomely fun thing to learn. If I had a nickel for every "knowledgeable" pronouncement I made on parenthood and children before I experienced either...well, I would have more money than I do now.

You have a kid, then come back and we will talk.

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing parents and being a parent are two completely different animals. Believe me, you don't know diddly yet. But it is an awesomely fun thing to learn. If I had a nickel for every "knowledgeable" pronouncement I made on parenthood and children before I experienced either...well, I would have more money than I do now.
    This is irrelevant. It's doesn't repudiate what I said. I stated the following:

1) From my direct observations and speaking with home schooled kids they tend to be more respectful, more socially mature, more well-mannered and enjoy learning more

2) Speaking with parents who home-school their children, they have told me how they home school, how they augment their in-home teaching with field trips. They also told me home-schooling their parents have only made their family stronger, closer, and more loving.

3) Home-schooled children socialize with kids of all ages through many ways like sports, scouting, camping trips, church activities, etc.

You have a kid, then come back and we will talk.
    Can you explain how me not having any kids yet in any way repudiates my three points?

. -Ktoyou

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is irrelevant. It's doesn't repudiate what I said. I stated the following:

1) From my direct observations and speaking with home schooled kids they tend to be more respectful, more socially mature, more well-mannered and enjoy learning more

2) Speaking with parents who home-school their children, they have told me how they home school, how they augment their in-home teaching with field trips. They also told me home-schooling their parents have only made their family stronger, closer, and more loving.

3) Home-schooled children socialize with kids of all ages through many ways like sports, scouting, camping trips, church activities, etc.

Can you explain how me not having any kids yet in any way repudiates my three points?
    It's very simple, actually. You cannot speak with true knowledge about something with which you have no experience. Anything you say will have to fall into the category of "opinion".

It is pointless for me to argue with you. When you have children, feel free to home school them if you wish. I, however, managed to raise a well adjusted, well educated, ambitious and hard working child, with strong morals and good ethics. I did so with the help of God, a good husband, a lot of prayer - and huge amounts of personal involvement in all aspects of the child's life. Yes, he went to public school and public university. I chose not to home school him, and I am a certified teacher - but I have not one single regret.

Once you have done even a fraction of the parenting that I have done, you will be qualified to opine on the topic of home schooling one's children vs public schooling for one's children. Till then, not so much.

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's very simple, actually. You cannot speak with true knowledge about something with which you have no experience. Anything you say will have to fall into the category of "opinion".
    Ok. And what opinion of mine do you disagree with? I merely stated stated my observations and my discussions with parents who home-school their children. They love home-schooling and have told me why they love it. So I will defer to their "true knowledge".

And you have yet to show me not having kids repudiates my three points.

Can you show me how my lack of kids makes my three points false?

It is pointless for me to argue with you. When you have children, feel free to home school them if you wish.
    Thank you I will. And I agree there is no point for me to argue with you since you know everything.

I, however, managed to raise a well adjusted, well educated, ambitious and hard working child, with strong morals and good ethics. I did so with the help of God, a good husband, a lot of prayer - and huge amounts of personal involvement in all aspects of the child's life. Yes, he went to public school and public university. I chose not to home school him, and I am a certified teacher - but I have not one single regret.
    Well, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Once you have done even a fraction of the parenting that I have done, you will be qualified to opine on the topic of home schooling one's children vs public schooling for one's children. Till then, not so much.
    Since you have never home-schooled either how qualified are you to opine on the topic of home-schooling? Sounds like you are trying to put me down since you don't agree with my "opinion" with a fallacious "you don't know" argument.

. -Ktoyou

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking with MANY home-schooled parents this is simply untrue. Sitting in a classroom all day with other kids is not really "socializing".
    Perhaps you're thinking of higher grade levels and particular types of courses. There's plenty of time for a variety of activities and recess. Children meet other kids from different backgrounds and learn to deal with those that are different from themselves and that's most important early on.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Perhaps you're thinking of higher grade levels and particular types of courses. There's plenty of time for a variety of activities and recess. Children meet other kids from different backgrounds and learn to deal with those that are different from themselves and that's most important early on.
    That's true but recess is not that long. Home-school kids can and do socialize with other kids quite as well. This idea that home-schooled kids are isolated from other kids their age is not really an accurate portrayal.

. -Ktoyou

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true but recess is not that long. Home-school kids can and do socialize with other kids quite as well. This idea that home-schooled kids are isolated from other kids their age is not really an accurate portrayal.
    In addition to recess there are labs, gym class, home-ec, group projects and passing periods. I am not worried the home-school kids are under-socialized. They will still have friends from the neighborhood and many school districts allow home-schoolers to participate in district athletics. My only point is that during the day, public school kids will have more opportunity to interact with more people than the average home schooler.

In any case, I think the whole socialization argument is a red herring on both sides.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thread Information