User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: How do you celebrate Earth Day?

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barbarian,
    I heard recently that "global warming" is not necessarily an accurate description. Rather pollution is disrupting climates, making them erratic. Have you heard this?
    Proverbs 17:19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exminister View Post
    Barbarian,
    I heard recently that "global warming" is not necessarily an accurate description. Rather pollution is disrupting climates, making them erratic. Have you heard this?
    It's putting more energy into the system, which can cause somewhat unpredictable effects. For example, the jet stream over North America has been on the move. Last year it was really high, causing unseasonable warmth and lack of rainfall in many areas. This year it's dipped very low and allowed a huge amount of precipitation. This reversed the drought and has now put us under flood conditions and left us with a cool spring.

There has been research tying this year's particular pattern to sea ice loss in the arctic.

Arctic amplification
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    Bad governance in general allows pollution to continue. Unrestrained capitalism does it just as well, if not better.

I mean when your river catches on fire . . .
    Cuyahoga river Ohio

Valley of the Drums (Kentucky)

The Great Smog of 1952 (London) - at least 4000 people died from this one.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The college of Geosciences that i am part of at the university I attend had an earth day celebration today. Me and another senior student gave presentations based on our senior thesis's. I also won an 250 scholarship from a rock and mineral society that gives our college these awards every year.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bon fire.
    Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies.
    Hávamál, st. 127

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xAvarice View Post
    I thought one of the main parts of being Christian is looking after the Earth... this thread is strange. But it shows you that you know it has an affect, which is why you're doing it in spite.

Silly silly.
    No, they think they will get a new one so they aren't worried.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,755 Times in 11,887 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Praise God that He gave a nice place to live with awesome natural resources to enjoy and beautiful things to look at.

But then that would be everyday, not just once a year...

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barbarian,
    Yes, part of warming can be cooling also, if you melt ice and it causes higher water levels, there is more water to absorb heat, rather than reflect it...

I prefer climate change so you don't get the idiot saying but it still snows.

Edit: Only the top of ice will reflect heat, not all of it... if you melt part of it away, you lose no reflection but gain water level. (Not sure that's currently accepted science, just my thoughts).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo

Think of how difficult it must be to leave an ice age due to the freezing... causes more freezing.

I'm going to try and find instances of heating caused by the ice age, see if it works in reverse.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,402 Times in 2,306 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Barbarian,
    The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000. So yes, it's warming. But due to local effects, it doesn't always mean warmer for any particular place. For example, if the Arctic ice melts quickly, it could disrupt the Gulf stream, which warms Northern Europe, and make that part of the world colder.

So "Climate Change" is probably more accurate, even though the data continue to show increased warming on a global scale.
    This message is hidden because ...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,967 Times in 6,976 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xAvarice View Post
    I thought one of the main parts of being Christian is looking after the Earth...
    What does that have to do with honoring the creator instead of the creation?
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Thanks
    Thanked 9,967 Times in 6,976 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000.
    You area a disgraceful liar. Knight, I will buy you a gold each year you keep this piece of trash banned from the site. Barbie, may God repay you for your works.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Censorship is the height of vanity Rusha's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 Times in 2,739 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    You area a disgraceful liar. Knight, I will buy you a gold each year you keep this piece of trash banned from the site. Barbie, may God repay you for your works.
    So much for valuing free speech and thought, eh? Why are you so incapable of debating like an adult?
    TRUST
    is a fragile thing.

Easy to break, Easy to lose
    and one of the hardest things to
    ever get back.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The Earth is indeed warming up. Warmest year on record last year, and the top nine years have been since the year 2000.
    When you are on a plateau, all elevations are the highest for miles around. We have not seen significant warming in the last 16 years. If the temperature has been roughly the same for the last 16 years and it climbed to that plateau over the last 150 years, is it any wonder that the top 9 warmest years could be found within those 16 years? When you also consider that over 60% of the warming in the last 150 years occurred between the years of 1900 and 1940, these cherry picked high years don't seem all that startling at all. It was also warmer during the early part of the holocene than it is today. I don't remember there being any SUV's and coal burning power plants around at that time.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    When you are on a plateau, all elevations are the highest for miles around. We have not seen significant warming in the last 16 years. If the temperature has been roughly the same for the last 16 years and it climbed to that plateau over the last 150 years, is it any wonder that the top 9 warmest years could be found within those 16 years?
    Well, let's take a look.
    1994 38
    1995 56
    1996 48
    1997 53
    1998 82
    1999 57
    2000 55
    2001 67
    2002 78
    2003 77
    2004 68
    2005 87
    2006 76
    2007 85
    2008 64
    2009 78
    2010 91
    2011 77
    2012 74
    http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/ta..._v3/GLB.Ts.txt

The regression line for the data shows the slope to be about 1.86, a strong upward trend. The regression equation is 44.87+1.856x where x is the year with 1994 being year 4. Would you like me to show you the line graph? It's very clear.

When you also consider that over 60% of the warming in the last 150 years occurred between the years of 1900 and 1940
    Hmm... nope....

As you can see, the difference between 1900 and 1940 was about 0.2 degrees Celsius while the difference between 1940 and 2000 was over 0.5 degrees Celsius.

these cherry picked high years
    As you see, the cherry picked year was 1998, which was a very hot year. Deniers have been continuously pushing back the number of years, in order to cherry pick that one. But it's no good. Even I allow you that bit of cherry-picking, it won't help you. Would you like to see the regression analysis for just 15 years? BTW, you probably meant "15 years"; the data for 2013 isn't in yet, and so "16 years" would put the much cooler 1997 data in play, and make your one big year in the 90s, less impressive.
    Last edited by The Barbarian; April 23rd, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
    So much for valuing free speech and thought, eh? Why are you so incapable of debating like an adult?
    He's a scared little guy with a lot of anger to manage. And facts make him cross-eyed with fury.

Edit: I just got another whiny negative rep from (guess who).
    Last edited by The Barbarian; April 23rd, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Thread Information