User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
Results 106 to 118 of 118

Thread: toldailytopic: What is Open Theism? What do you think of it?

  1. #106
    Over 500 post club Doormat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In a temple made without hands.
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2462
    Quote Originally Posted by Doormat
    How does open theism explain God's apparent detailed knowledge of the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    Predictive.
    If God could observe in detail what we call the future, would that completely undermine open theism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    The better question is how does Calvinism explain the several prophesies in scripture that did not come to pass.
    I'm not a Calvinist so I can't answer that.

    Can you show me the prophesies you're thinking of?
    So they took him and killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard.

  2. #107
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    42728
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    That is only because you hedge your answers. And you are the worst at not coming out and saying with all your links to other people's thoughts. Here is a two part question for Mr Religion.

    1. Does God desire all men to be saved?

    2. Are all men saved?

    Are you expecting an ( Answer ) from here??

    He has ( NEVER ) answered Me on anything. There is a burning bush to dance around.

    Paul -- 041313
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

  3. #108
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11813
    Open theism denies EDF, so that is a distinctive. It is not the only truth.
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  4. #109
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,833
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 9,966 Times in 6,976 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147812
    Open Theism is also a way of rulz to show somebody losing salvation because the future is open.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  5. #110
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11813
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Open Theism is also a way of rulz to show somebody losing salvation because the future is open.
    Most non-Calvinistic Arminians who reject OSAS because of free will views are not Open Theists. Are you sure you can handle an amateur theology site?
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  6. #111
    Silver Member Totton Linnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Winchester, Hants
    Posts
    8,295
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 800 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1203412
    Since God is not all knowing [as they suppose] it is quite possible that He is not the only God as He says, maybe there is a greater one who yet hides Himself, perhaps He will null and void all the promises of scripture..
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

  7. #112
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11813
    Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    Since God is not all knowing [as they suppose] it is quite possible that He is not the only God as He says, maybe there is a greater one who yet hides Himself, perhaps He will null and void all the promises of scripture..
    Seriously? Why reject a view you do not understand or cannot explain?

    God is all-knowing not ignorant of anything knowable (some things are inherently unknowable). He knows the past and present exhaustively. He is clear in Isaiah that there are no other gods before or after Him. He knows none. You are implying he is ignorant of past or present reality. This is NOT what Open Theism teaches. He is also intelligent and sovereign and knows that no other gods would form since He alone is Creator and eternal. If there was another eternal God, He would have always known this. Your objection is lame.

    God is also faithful to His Word. This is character, not crystal ball. You underestimate His great intelligence and knowledge and power. Foreknowledge also offers no providential advantage because God could not change the fixed future even if He wanted to (would make His FK false).

    You are giving a knee-jerk reaction, not one that involves basic critical thinking and understanding of opposing views. You are also blind to the problems with your own view.

    Yours is not an Open Theism objection (there are better ones) because it makes no sense and is a total straw man argument. Get familiar with the literature (for and against Open Theism) before you take pot shots (if you want credibility to speak).
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  8. #113
    Silver Member Totton Linnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Winchester, Hants
    Posts
    8,295
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 800 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1203412
    If there is a greater than God who yet keeps Himself hidden from Jahweh...this would be unknowable by God...even Jahweh hides Himself, to me it is one of His more remarkable miracles.

    My dear William you yourself seem engaged here with "unknowables" I am merely tickling your ears further.
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

  9. #114
    SHAZAM! Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,738
    Thanks
    1,195
    Thanked 13,393 Times in 10,254 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147887
    Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    Since God is not all knowing [as they suppose] it is quite possible that He is not the only God as He says, maybe there is a greater one who yet hides Himself, perhaps He will null and void all the promises of scripture..


    It is not the position of the open view that God is ignorant of such things.

    It is, however, my firm position that you are completely ignorant of a great many things.


  10. #115
    Silver Member Totton Linnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Winchester, Hants
    Posts
    8,295
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 800 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1203412
    I choose to be so

    I choose to be ignorant of some posters too... I choose what to fill my mind with, and I choose not to fill it with open view theology.

    Some people could be persuaded that God is a apple pie.
    Last edited by Totton Linnet; April 24th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

  11. #116
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    42728
    Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    I choose to be so

    Then may the devil bless you his way!!!

    Paul -- 041913
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

  12. #117
    SHAZAM! Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,738
    Thanks
    1,195
    Thanked 13,393 Times in 10,254 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147887
    Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    I choose to be so
    Obviously


  13. #118
    Silver Member Totton Linnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Winchester, Hants
    Posts
    8,295
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 800 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1203412
    Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    I choose to be so

    I choose to be ignorant of some posters too... I choose what to fill my mind with, and I choose not to fill it with open view theology.

    Some people could be persuaded that God is a apple pie.
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us