User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Which requires the greater faith, atheism or theism?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,100 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

toldailytopic: Which requires the greater faith, atheism or theism?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 9th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Which requires the greater faith, atheism or theism?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Over 1500 post club Silent Hunter's Avatar
    Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theism . . .
    "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's about the same if you just take atheism and theism to mean either there isn't a creator or there is. Keeping all things simple. When you move on to complicate things and introduce religion or various scientific theories that point to a lack of design, then the amount of faith varies. I'd say religion as an extension of theism requires the most faith.
    I'm not a sinner, or preacher, all I have is slight of hand.

Selling novelty hats on the road to Eden!?!
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Quincy, it requires more than people think to maintain a lack of faith.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ragTagblues View Post
    I agree with Quincy, it requires more than people think to maintain a lack of faith.
    It is part of a human being's makeup to have faith, to be faithful so of course, being human, we also weigh evidence, seek knowledge, make comparisons, change our minds, evolve and grow.
    Then there is inertia and also the suffering of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune which must be met with "I believe" or "So what?" or "This is more than I can grasp at present!" or any number of variations on a theme of disbelief.
    Belief is simple.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting question. I've always thought evolutionism takes more faith than the faith it takes to get saved through Christ.
    Atheism is a advertising nightmare as in what you see is what you get and when you die that's it. - DaveDodo007

Totally depraved doctrine.
    Uncertain salvation.
    Luck of the draw.
    Irresistible damnation.
    Persecution of the saints.

Courtesy of Desert Reign

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
    I think it's about the same if you just take atheism and theism to mean either there isn't a creator or there is. Keeping all things simple. When you move on to complicate things and introduce religion or various scientific theories that point to a lack of design, then the amount of faith varies. I'd say religion as an extension of theism requires the most faith.
    I think of religion as a uniform. There are many kinds of uniform out there.
    Faith is a core component. It's there and often, I am surprised by it's comfort.

Censorship is the height of vanity Rusha's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,754 Times in 2,724 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They both require an equal amount of faith.
    TRUST
    is a fragile thing.

Easy to break, Easy to lose
    and one of the hardest things to
    ever get back.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know because I have never experienced atheism. Remember that kid who first said to you "I don't believe in God" and then it kind of freaked you out and gave you nightmares. I do.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ragTagblues View Post
    I didn't see Quincy saying that at all. And I don't believe we have to, "maintain" a lack of faith. We simply choose not to engage our faith in ... whatever.

But I agree with Quincy that all human beings must live by faith, atheists and theists alike, because we lack so much relevant information. The differences, then, are in what ideas and concepts each are placing their faith in. The atheist is placing their faith in a non-theistic way of understanding the world around them. Which I think is what you were probably referring to. While the theist places their faith in a God-oriented way of understanding the world around them.

Is one more difficult than the other? I doubt it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,649 Times in 5,356 Posts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    It is part of a human being's makeup to have faith, to be faithful so of course, being human, we also weigh evidence, seek knowledge, make comparisons, change our minds, evolve and grow.
    Then there is inertia and also the suffering of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune which must be met with "I believe" or "So what?" or "This is more than I can grasp at present!" or any number of variations on a theme of disbelief.
    Belief is simple.
    I think there's something built into us - it's a cliché, I know, but that idea of a God-shaped hole that keeps us always searching for Him.

Belief can be simple - and yet, doubt can really complicate it. There are times when I've thought, "what if this is all nothing, just a human construct to make sense of the world?" and it's a scary thought. It's faith that carries me through those times. Reason can only take us so far. I think sometimes the reasoning is where all the work is at, and we work so hard at it - while faith is a gift.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    I think there's something built into us - it's a cliché, I know, but that idea of a God-shaped hole that keeps us always searching for Him.

Belief can be simple - and yet, doubt can really complicate it. There are times when I've thought, "what if this is all nothing, just a human construct to make sense of the world?" and it's a scary thought. It's faith that carries me through those times. Reason can only take us so far. I think sometimes the reasoning is where all the work is at, and we work so hard at it - while faith is a gift.
    Yup!
    One of my mantra's is "When we say yes to one thing we are saying no to the other possibilities". It is the only way to move forward and accomplish something. The lack of a decision is truly a faithless position. Better to make a decision and act on it. If the results are not satisfactory then you can rule out that behavior and try something else.
    Faith is just keeping on in the face of whatever comes our way. I believe that God cares about me. That is the foundation of my ability to function in this life.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think humanity (especially since God allowed us to have freewill) has a natural inclination to reject God rather than to accept him; therefore, I think it takes less faith to be an atheist, because all they have to do is just be themselves and think in human ways.

In order to perceive God, LORD, and savior it takes divine enlightenment to take us beyond human contemplations into enlightenment, and then we must trust in the revelation. That's what faith is.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ps82 View Post
    I think humanity (especially since God allowed us to have freewill) has a natural inclination to reject God rather than to accept him; therefore, I think it takes less faith to be an atheist, because all they have to do is just be themselves and think in human ways.

In order to perceive God, LORD, and savior it takes divine enlightenment to take us beyond human contemplations into enlightenment, and then we must trust in the revelation. That's what faith is.
    I see it differently.

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believing in something is believing.

Thinking positively about something takes no more work than thinking negatively.

It is simply a decision to decide what you will choose to think.

Sometimes it may seem like swimming upstream sometimes not.
    "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

"Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

Pro scripture = Protestant

Thread Information