User Tag List

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 491

Thread: toldailytopic: Eternal torment, Annihilationism or Universalism, which do you believe

  1. #46
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,519
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Doormat = elo?

  2. #47
    ☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona USA
    Posts
    6,831
    Thanks
    4,542
    Thanked 4,023 Times in 2,297 Posts

    Blog Entries
    148
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147701
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    For what? Creating beings made of fallible flesh and blood, and a speck of existence in which to find the one way out of a maze which doesn't result in being roasted or some other unspeakable eternal form of suffering?

    The mind boggles at the cruelty of such a doctrine...
    "Other" Sigh.

    AMR
    Embedded links in my posts or in my sig below are included for a reason. Tolle Lege.



    Do you confess?
    Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?



  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    844
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Leave it to you not to quote the passages.
    2 Peter 3:1-12

    1 Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), 2 that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, 3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.” 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. 7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?

    1 Thessalonians 5:1-4

    1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief.

  4. #49
    TOL Legend Ktoyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama and Florida
    Posts
    10,002
    Thanks
    2,597
    Thanked 7,217 Times in 4,979 Posts

    Blog Entries
    8
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147733
    God’s mercy is equally perfect with His justice.

    Let me ask a question; is the Rapture preceded by the day of Judgement?
    So, what?

    believe it!

  5. #50
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    16,003
    Thanks
    9,925
    Thanked 7,769 Times in 5,219 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    "Other" Sigh.

    AMR
    Since when does a label matter when discussing such a topic? Were the founding fathers of the earliest church 'protestants'?

    I could care less what Johnathan Edwards had to say. I've seen it before several times already along with other of his 'sermons'. He displays about as much love, compassion and understanding for his fellow man as a lion about to devour a Thompson's gazelle...

    You can't reduce a concept of unbearable eternal suffering through a lens of intellectualism AMR, though try as you will.


  6. #51
    Over 1000 post club Dena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    4561
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Eternal punishment is the only thing that satisfies God's retributive justice (the expression of the divine wrath).
    Is this stated somewhere in the Christian Bible?

  7. #52
    TOL Legend Ktoyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama and Florida
    Posts
    10,002
    Thanks
    2,597
    Thanked 7,217 Times in 4,979 Posts

    Blog Entries
    8
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147733
    Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    Is this stated somewhere in the Christian Bible?
    Yes. Not in those words, however, AMR is going for the meaning directly.
    So, what?

    believe it!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ktoyou For Your Post:

    Tambora (October 12th, 2017)

  9. #53
    Over 4000 post club IMJerusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Appalachian foothills of Ohio
    Posts
    4,184
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 93 Times in 72 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    101136
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    You don't know him like I do. I've been dealing with him near a decade now.
    Then your love for him should be greater than mine, shouldn't it?
    Last edited by IMJerusha; April 2nd, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    I AM the pie lady!!

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #54
    Over 1000 post club Buzzword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,284
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 164 Times in 133 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    116877
    Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    I tend to believe in eventual annihilationism as being in keeping with God's revelation of Himself in Scripture.
    This.
    All I need is an actual reading of John 3:16, with no additional doctrinal trappings.

    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

    If those who believe in Christ will have ETERNAL LIFE, then it follows those who don't will NOT.
    Otherwise why state it so?
    If they DON'T have eternal life, how can they be tormented eternally?

    End of argument, for me at least.
    “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
    -Adam Hamilton

    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

  11. #55
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    16,003
    Thanks
    9,925
    Thanked 7,769 Times in 5,219 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    Yes. Not in those words, however, AMR is going for the meaning directly.
    Then why didn't the original founding fathers/church/translators believe in it for the most part? Eternal torment/separation/suffering wasn't 'orthodox' by any means....

  12. #56
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    16,003
    Thanks
    9,925
    Thanked 7,769 Times in 5,219 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    This.
    All I need is an actual reading of John 3:16, with no additional doctrinal trappings.

    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

    If those who believe in Christ will have ETERNAL LIFE, then it follows those who don't will NOT.
    Otherwise why state it so?
    If they DON'T have eternal life, how can they be tormented eternally?

    End of argument, for me at least.
    Just out of interest....

    How would you read this verse then?

    1 Tim 4:10

  13. #57
    Over 1000 post club Buzzword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,284
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 164 Times in 133 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    116877
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Just out of interest....

    How would you read this verse then?

    1 Tim 4:10
    Have to read the entire chapter, first.

    1 Timothy 4

    Metaphysically it can be understood that Christ's example and sacrifice was for all people, that its effect is available to all of us, and that we need only accept Him and believe in the power of His sacrifice to bring us into that effect: The relationship with Him, with each other, and with His created universe for which He designed us.

    Without that act of acceptance, we can't experience that relationship because we haven't accepted the Person with whom we would share it.
    “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
    -Adam Hamilton

    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

  14. #58
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    16,003
    Thanks
    9,925
    Thanked 7,769 Times in 5,219 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    Have to read the entire chapter, first.

    1 Timothy 4

    Metaphysically it can be understood that Christ's example and sacrifice was for all people, that its effect is available to all of us, and that we need only accept Him and believe in the power of His sacrifice to bring us into that effect: The relationship with Him, with each other, and with His created universe for which He designed us.

    Without that act of acceptance, we can't experience that relationship because we haven't accepted the Person with whom we would share it.
    Um, isn't that just a round about the houses way of saying that Christ only died for those who believe in effect?

    Do you take credit at all for believing?

  15. #59
    Over 750 post club eameece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Jose CA
    Posts
    877
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1465
    universalism, obviously
    Keep the Spirit alive;
    Eric the Green

  16. #60
    Over 750 post club eameece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Jose CA
    Posts
    877
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1465
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    This.
    All I need is an actual reading of John 3:16, with no additional doctrinal trappings.

    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

    If those who believe in Christ will have ETERNAL LIFE, then it follows those who don't will NOT.
    Otherwise why state it so?
    If they DON'T have eternal life, how can they be tormented eternally?

    End of argument, for me at least.
    No, it just means that one way to have eternal life is to believe that Jesus showed that it happens.

    Jesus did not come to torment people eternally. That contradicts his doctrine of forgiveness. So you say he asked people to forgive people seventy time seven times, but he doesn't?
    Keep the Spirit alive;
    Eric the Green

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us