User Tag List

Page 211 of 217 FirstFirst ... 111161201208209210211212213214 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3245

Thread: Town Quixote's

  1. #3151
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    The Wrap
    on...Stuff



    Things were heating up along the fenceline in the Trump/Knob thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
    Town Heretic is a bit of a pompous fellow, isn't he?
    Like having your shoe size mocked by a clown.

    I love a good sense of humor,
    Like Quasimodo dreaming of Esmerelda.

    unfortunately,TH wasn't blessed with one. However, he compensates for that shortcoming, having convinced himself that he's witty.
    It's more of a land of the blind sort of thing.

    He's his own number one FAN. Although, I kind of think his FAN is unplugged.
    Hey! GM, good to have you back!

    And really, how often does anyone say that about cancer?

    I kid, of course. Cancer is the result of abnormal growth.


    Leading to speculation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Eh, nice little gossip club they've got going on...
    There's a rumor I may replace night baseball at some point.

    And...
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    I think you'll hear lots of refreshing things noted in articles for the next 7.2 years.
    There's a thin line between optimism and Prozac.

    Before decrying my...

    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    Ignoring informative, relevant, educational Youtube video
    Don't forget Wikis! And cocktail napkins. I'm sure they're just full of...information. Else, if you can't find the information in better authority it's probably just some guy with a video camera and an attitude.

    Someone I've never heard of before stopped by to interject something I'll never think on again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Artur Axmann View Post
    guns are to be used for the purpose they were made.. no?

    what are you griping about?
    Words are made to communicate meaningful information. What are you using them for?

    DR had a word about a curious focus...
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    JW's don't stand for the anthem or pledge a flag....nary a peep about them...
    Maybe if they'd convert to Islam.

    While on the overhyped NFL ratings are falling...
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    Ratings are down 17.5% since 2015 at this point in the season.
    Nothing was happening on the anthem front in 2015. So the only reason to go back that far is to make the decline more dramatic. Ratings went down in 2015 without anyone kneeling. Why? I'll come back to the likely culprits and the as likely misapprehension in a moment.

    I don't know what you consider as freefall
    A sharp, typically sudden statistical downturn. That's not what's happening here, where we've actually seen some rebound and where the overall decline precedes what some are attempting to call the effect. That sort of thing.

    A few points:

    1. Nielsen doesn't factor mobile devices, which over the same last few years has become a way a great many people keep track of games, especially the younger set.

    2. Cord cutters have impacted ratings, especially of NFL Network or ESPN generated games.

    3. On top of that potential for statistical misread you had the domestic violence black eye, followed by a serious concussion concern that became a topic of moment for fans and parents of potential fans/players, then the anthem controversy. That much negative press over a couple of years is going to have an impact, even if that's largely in the soft viewership. It's still an important demo.

    An interesting side bar that moves us toward alternate viewing, the worst downturn year, last year, saw 5% more viewers, an actual increase, but the overall viewership was watching less of any particular game. Forbes, Sept. 27, 2017 It makes me wonder if the Red Zone was such a good idea for the NFL, getting viewers accustomed to watching here and there and skipping out on the commercials and down time. Also, among those who still typically use tvs to watch the game, an aging demographic but one with teeth and numbers, viewership is actually up this year. It's down among younger viewers who (again) may be watching but less of any particular and using other means than television.

    JS said the darndest thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanford108 View Post
    I am glad to find out you are an attorney.
    Well there's a thing you don't hear that often.

    For the time, let us ignore a generalization that attorneys care more about success than truth.
    Isn't that like, "You're a [redacted], but let's put the petty aside for now."

    Do you not classify the published statements of police and investigators as separate from "eye witness testimony?"
    Early statements from police tend to be reflections of available testimony and preliminary forensics. They're only as reliable as the sources and, from time lines to brass, those can be as prone to movement and correction.

    Okay. Let us proceed with this. Give evidence of the expended brass.
    By accounts, including video, an awful lot of shots were fired. Guns that fire shells leave brass somewhere. In this case, the most likely somewhere would be amongst the glass caught on a ledge below the shooter's two positions.

    The same goes for your false assumption that I was confusing basic rifles with assault-styles.
    An assertion can be false. An assumption is at best mistaken, because it's not purporting to be the truth, only one potential explanation, in this case one aimed at your curious belief that there was something awry in the final tally of wounded and killed. From a shooter's perspective there really isn't for any number of reasons, most of which I set out in my last on the point, from darkness to distance, adrenaline to shifting positions, to wasting time trying to ignite fuel tanks, etc.

    Implying that I had little knowledge of gun mechanics, classifications, etc.
    No, implying a lack of understanding or consideration of a number of points that readily answered on the point. I have a good friend who retired from the Marines as a Gunney. I asked him about the tally and if it surprised him. He said it didn't, but that it wouldn't have surprised him if there were double the fatalities either. His tick list was largely in line with mine and he added that a lot of luck is in play when you have people who lack muscle memory response to intensely stressful periods of time. He said that even when he was involved in an ambush situation where he had high ground and numbers, the stress was so intense that the first time he understood the reason for all the drilling he'd been put through and why they put him through it with the levels of stress added in.
    Tomorrow? Your guess is as good as the president's. Unless you're sober, of course (either).
    Last edited by Town Heretic; October 21st, 2017 at 07:26 PM.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (October 21st, 2017),Ask Mr. Religion (October 20th, 2017),Rusha (October 20th, 2017)

  3. #3152
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    The Wrap
    on...Lawyers, Guns and Babies



    Then some guy said of my gun law proposals...
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    You don't want safer.
    Then proposing mandatory safety courses is a really odd way of accomplishing that.

    Nihilo had a new side bar or two...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    Europe is blessed with fewer murderers than the United States at moment.
    I know they have far fewer mass shootings and firearm related homicides. And that's not so much blessing as a reflection of reasoned law.

    That isn't a reason to further strip freedoms from peaceable and law abiding people.
    No one is losing the right to own firearms by any of my proposals. And not even you want them to be able to possess every sort of weapon.

    I noted the remarkable coincidence that as with comparing our gun violence with Europe, comparing the toughest gun law states with the weakest shows a similarity of impact...
    Top 5/bottom 5 states ranked by tough to weak gun law - deaths by gun per 100,000 citizens.

    1. California - 7.7 deaths per 100,000
    2. Connecticut - 5.3
    3. New Jersey - 5.3
    4. Mass. - 4.0
    5. New York - 4.1
    -------------------------
    46. Idaho - 14.8
    47. Arizona - 13.8
    48. Missouri - 17.9
    Kansas - 11.3
    50. Mississippi - 19.5

    Or, even the worst of the stronger gun law states, California, did twice as good a job protecting citizens from gun violence and death, while the average among the better, tougher gun law states did even better.

    And Yor was back with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    There is no doubt one can eventually pile enough laws/regulations on the people to
    get them to do any particular thing.
    Or, in this case, change the law to significantly impact their ability to do a very damaging and specific thing. Thanks.

    But it's a bad way to run a country.
    No, reducing mass murder and the associated damage to the culture is a very good thing, no matter what you attempt to slather the effort in.

    Before returning to Nihilo and...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    your interpretation of the right [to bear arms] differs from mine, and from the Supreme Court's.
    In point of fact though, almost no one is advancing the notion that the right to bear arms is unabridged, which means the rest of it is about where the line should be drawn and why.

    The Supreme Court disagrees with you.
    Abortion is the law of the land too.

    The topic is that you want to further erode our freedom to possess and to carry standard issue weaponry
    No, the topic is whether or not we find preventable massacres preferable to the alteration of an arbitrary line in the sand in relation to what a person can reasonably use for hunting and in self-defense. Again, the weapons and the scale of lethality they present today don't remotely reflect what was reasonable and possible when the initial ideas were framed for protection under a differing set of needs and pragmatic considerations. It's time to stop acting as though this right wasn't a thing it demonstrably is, abridged, then get on with the reasonable job of making sure we make a more intelligent choice relating to that line.

    And...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    ]Something I said early on was that you're arguing for amending the Constitution to repeal the Second Amendment, and you denied that
    Probably, it not being true and all. That sounds like me.

    but that impression to me remains.
    You should try another impression. I'd recommend Christopher Walken. That's a good one if you can pull it off.

    You're arguing against the existence of the right itself.
    Well, no. Nothing like that, honestly. So when you repeat that, you're nothing like honest. I'd prefer to think you're better than that, but if you keep insisting you aren't at some point I'm going to take your word for it.

    While fp got off to a poor start on discussing the unborn...
    Quote Originally Posted by finalpoet View Post
    I'm pro-choice. I've gotten to the point where idc. I'm not a woman...
    So it has to be about you for you to care? Then you're not a lot of things.

    Then gct had a notion...
    Quote Originally Posted by gcthomas View Post
    Protecting the 'potential' of the ftus seems to be a retrofitted argument designed to give the desired result, rather than a satisfactory argument in its own right. Where else do we allow rights based on a possible future rather than a specific present?
    It's a unique situation, and we preclude ourselves from negating it in potential because and singularly because that potential is indistinguishable from the vested right.

    Moral reasoning usually to involve the desires and experiences of the person claiming or being awarded those rights. Why not here?
    Because it is a capitulation, not an answer to a rational posit. It's subjective in nature and we argue as a people that the right isn't. The foundation of every right is existence and the premise we advance as a people, in law, is that this right exists independent of our whim. Until we change that premise my argument is going to be a problem.

    What properties of an organism demands those rights to life? The possibility of a sense of loss, the fear of death, the potential to experience and fear loss or suffering? That is where universal rights tend to revolve around whenever there is broad consensus. Conscious suffering and loss.
    You're speaking more to what it is about life that gives it meaning and value to us. But those arise as a response to our existence. They are not required. We may not fear loss or death without either of those impacting our right to exist. We may be inured to suffering and retain them.

    How can you give 'rights' to clumps of cells that might become a functioning human
    A flaw in your premise. We aren't arguing about conferral, but recognition. We believe and assert as a principle in our law that we are born with certain rights, conditional only upon our existence and abrogated only by our actions. I note that as the foundation of law, not to promote its necessity.

    (OK, I'm being deliberately provocative, but my argument stands. Which moral principle should we use for deciding which organism has which rights, and why?)
    That's okay, but I'm not advancing a moral argument. I have one, but I'd rather approach this across a bridge of rationalism. Logic binds us all, whatever we believe.

    And I'll end this edition with a recent reflection on sexual irresponsibility and the body politic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Texas Rep. Joe Barton apologized today for a nude selfie he made that's been making the rounds.

    Said a contrite Barton, "I let my constituents down."

    So at least his pants had company.
    Tomorrow? Reflections on a golden I (14-2 against the line) and the more with the usual suspects.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Ask Mr. Religion (December 10th, 2017),Rusha (December 10th, 2017)

  5. #3153
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  6. #3154
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    moved
    Last edited by Town Heretic; December 21st, 2017 at 11:46 PM.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    patrick jane (December 21st, 2017)

  8. #3155
    Gold level Subscriber fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,184
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 762 Times in 511 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    264015
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post


    Tomorrow? Snow, maybe...well, more snow then.
    Do you have a heat pump?
    Lotsa trouble with those I hear.
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to fool For Your Post:

    Town Heretic (December 21st, 2017)

  10. #3156
    Over 5000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    5,418
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,031 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    278827
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Nihilo continued...
    You misunderstood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    We have the obligation to defend ourselves. We have the right, and we have the duty. If we do nothing, then that's how police and military tend to become too socially powerful, along with not being under civilian control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Our military is not and has not been held in check by our stash of assault weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    No one's disputed that. The Commander-in-Chief is a civilian.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  11. #3157
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,036
    Thanks
    12,725
    Thanked 34,299 Times in 17,246 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147782
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    You misunderstood.
    He always does. This is how he sees things in his own little world.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Tambora (May 17th, 2018)

  13. #3158
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    The Wrap
    on Thursday


    fool asked...
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    So has the Impeachment begun?
    It's been 11 months now.
    Rome wasn't sacked in a day.

    Nihilo continued...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    ...I believe in absolute rights
    An absolute right to bear arms would be without any particular restraint. You believe in the Court's version of a right you will then call absolute in that expression.

    If we do nothing, then that's how police and military tend to become too socially powerful, along with not being under civilian control.
    Our military is not and has not been held in check by our stash of assault weapons. That's not how it works. If we promote a respect for our institutions and remain actively and ethically engaged in the process of government we have little to fear from it. If we abrogate our responsibilities it becomes what we allow it to become.

    While in the NFL thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    The Cleveland Browns are now 1-26 in their past 27 games, 2-36 in their past 38 games, and 4-44 in their past 48 games...]If that's not bad enough, the Browns general manager Sashi Brown didn't think Carson Wentz was worth drafting, and traded Cleveland's pick to the Eagles.
    Well, you know, like they say, "Misery loves Cleveland."

    And on the Trump front...
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    I'm sure the "testimony" of a criminal guilty of LYING to the FBI is trustworthy. Who can believe anything Flynn says? That's why prosecutors don't use murderers to "testify" against shoplifters.
    That's why no mob boss ever goes to jail. He's surrounded by criminals whose word can't be relied upon.

    When GO said...
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Conservatives think what Trump is doing is funny.
    Finally someone from the right admits that conservatives don't have a sense of humor.

    The most fun is watching the liberals get their panties in a bind whenever Trump says, tweets, or does something that is politically incorrect.
    The less fun part is the damage being done to the institutions of government and the American people. But hey, a laugh's a laugh.

    Had a word for Angel about the problem of riches...
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    Its no secret that narcissists makes the best leaders and businessmen - i doubt you ll find many who disagree that hes a narcissist.
    Is Warren Buffet a narcissist? I know a lot of rich people. I've traveled in larger circles among them as a child and young man. Most of them weren't narcissists. It's narcissists who get the most publicity because they seek it and have the means to make sure you know who they are. I think you find more narcissists in second or third generation on among the rich than in the general population, because they grow up with the entitlement that can blind and form you that way. By the third it's much harder for anyone to have a grounding, given no one in the loop has a living memory of having to really earn anything and their perspective on what that means begins at a different place. Earning and working take on a different understanding by that point and they'll sometimes confuse a common human experience, like employing regular Joes or eating fast food, with understanding what is really an alien concept outside of their experience. But they have no real appreciation of the one thing that alters a human perspective fundamentally, the feeling of real vulnerability.

    Corrected a mistaken impression more frequently heard these days about the history of progressive politics...

    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    ...It was also the Democrats who fought the Civil Rights acts of the 1950s and 1960s
    If you break down the vote among states that were a part of the Union vs states that had supported the Confederacy, you'll see that 100% of the pro Union Democrats voted for the Civil Rights Act. 85% of the pro Union Republicans voted for it. Meaning that outside of the South Democrats were more solidly behind the act than their Republican cousins, though the lesser majority is still a profound one.

    Got fed up with Ktoyou...well, along with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    You should shop at Walmart; you would be doing me a favor. Use the online app, I never did, but many use that and like it
    Kat
    Reminds me of my bit about The Waffle House. You can go to Subway in our local Walmart, sit in a booth and watch the shoppers milling about, half of them dragging their feet and shuffling like zombies. It's like dinner and a show...albeit a very poorly written one.

    And a newbie asked...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenn View Post
    Does this always happen in a Newbie introduction?
    Does the Pope wear his hat in the woods? Does a bear...well, no.


    Before closing with Yor finally giving me what I asked for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    For black markets, you make the items legal. This would be true of anything banned (or highly regulated) you don't want to have a black market in. Perhaps markets like drugs or guns that shoot more than one round.
    To begin with, much of what is sold on the black market isn't illegal as a thing, but is merely stolen goods, from prescription drugs to guns. Of what's left...Prostitution, heroin, machine guns? That's your idea? Increasing the access and destructive power of what's on hand would be more of the same that wasn't working, though I'd agree it would rob organized crime of a profitable outlet.

    For gangs you remove regulation so young men can get gainful employment.
    What regulation? Child labor laws?

    You stop giving public money to schools because whatever they've been teaching those boys it's not helping.
    Yeah, the problem is giving those who can't afford it on their own an education. That will really pull people out of poverty.

    For broken families, you've already identified that the problem is almost entirely single mothers.
    Leaving off that you're wrong...no, let's not.

    Therefore, you don't give mother's money to have fatherless kids.
    We don't. We provide for children who otherwise wouldn't have proper healthcare or nutrition. You want to cut off that funding?

    Also, accusations of domestic violence will require more evidence than the word of a single person.
    It's actually rare that you only have that little and past emergency measures you have to stand before a jaded judge and make your case. And as the only one of us with real experience in the system relating to that, I can tell you that most domestic violence comes with bruises and police reports. A lot of them with medical histories too.

    On the consequences of strong gun law:
    Bad consequences like creating a new black market.
    Hey, you want abortion mills? Because if you shut them down you'll send some women into the arms of criminals. Is that really an argument against closing abortion mills?

    Or blaming people, and punishing them, for something that isn't their fault.
    If you break the law it actually is your fault.

    Or setting a further precedent that the government can take your stuff even if you've done nothing wrong.
    By which you mean outlaw something that wasn't prior, like cocaine. Yes, we can do that and will continue to do that where there's a compelling case. Or were you talking about slaves?

    Or leaving illiterate people unable to defend themselves, which is very elitist of you.
    I never said we couldn't have oral examinations or help filling out forms. Your assumption is the culprit. I'm glad you're thinking about the illiterate though, given how your position on public education will likely swell their ranks.

    And guns are the great equalizer that puts any small woman on the same level as the biggest man even with training that is no more than what she can get at the counter of a gun store.
    In point of fact, if you don't know how to use a tool or aren't prepared to use it then the person who is will always have the advantage. In most cases, relating to guns, that favors the criminal.
    Tomorrow? Snow, maybe...well, more snow then.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; December 22nd, 2017 at 09:19 AM.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (December 22nd, 2017),Ask Mr. Religion (December 22nd, 2017),Rusha (December 31st, 2017)

  15. #3159
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    The Wrap
    on December



    Meshak decided to be an aggressive underdog...
    Quote Originally Posted by meshak View Post
    Of course you side with trinity believers.
    I believe in the trinity. I haven't brought it up in this thread. Mostly I've been trying to get everyone interested on the same friendly page, differences notwithstanding.

    What are you trying to do?

    what else is new.
    I give up, what?

    When a new guy said...
    Quote Originally Posted by eleos View Post
    Hello, New member.


    Nobody special, just a child of God and enjoy His Word and exploring His word with others.
    Make up your mind.

    And another was barely here when...

    Quote Originally Posted by hopster View Post
    Hello
    How do I cancel or delete my account?
    That has to be the shortest distance between "Hello TOL!" and "Let me outta here!" ever.


    After a disastrous handling of Eli Manning and a flubbed season, Pittsburgh came to the inadvertent rescue of the reeling G-men...
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    The Steelers released James Harrison
    And the sound of champagne corks popping in the Giants front office was deafening.

    Nihilo had a point to make about guns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    The founders support the notion of civilians having free access to standard issue military weaponry.
    No, they supported it in their time, but in their time the people would have had access to and used weapons that were even less dangerous than the ones I'm talking about keeping.

    WOTH provided conspiratorial insight...
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchmanOnTheWall View Post
    54.3 percent of Americans do not believe the 'official' 911 story:
    Well, that explains Trump right there and then some.

    The "and then some" part has me worried.

    Yor had a few ideas...here are a few of the same sort...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    I'd say your objection is either poorly thought out or that you are an elitist.
    I'm not sure what you mean by elitist...If you mean that I believe society should be led by an elite, I'd say that's true. People of superior virtue and wisdom, by way of example, would make better leaders than people with less of either.

    ...giving those who can't afford it on their own the government education we are giving them is harming them - obviously.
    Anyone who believes that education harms someone is in need of additional education.

    But, please note, if my position on government education were applied, we'd have a higher literacy rate.
    Eliminating public education would raise the literacy rate? Do tell.

    Even if you stop people from using guns for violence, they demonstrably don't care about that method used to hurt people.
    It doesn't matter if they care. It matters that they find the means. It's easy to procure and use a gun to accomplish that end. It's much harder to find a viable alternative.

    Jerry took time away from an unreasonable (if admirable) support of the Cowboys to go further afield...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Thank the LORD for Trump!
    Like thanking a vegetarian for bacon.

    He saved the Republic from dishonest Hillary and her minions!
    And you know, I thought you'd never write anything crazier than some of your Cowboy posts...

    And...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    You are so blinded by your liberal bias that you cannot think straight!
    Nah. I'm no more a liberal than I'm a conservative, except on certain issues. I actively campaigned for people to NOT vote for either. And by either I mean Trump or Hillary.

    The greatest danger to our Republic is from within.
    The greatest danger to our Republic is the belief that makes us suspicious of neighbor and hateful of what should be often enough viewed as an honorable and thoughtful opposition. What's a danger to the Republic is contempt for its institutions and the men or women who promote it as a means to power.

    Tomorrow? Fool defends a different sort of cowboy and Alabama says "When" to Moore.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Ask Mr. Religion (December 31st, 2017)

  17. #3160
    Over 5000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    5,418
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,031 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    278827
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    So having been under fire yourself, your story here is that you'd have not been better off, with a selective fire carbine in that situation? I'm incredulous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    What I'd say is that without serious skill and training, and an understanding of how the body behaves in that sort of situation it's foolish to believe a weapon with an automatic function will make you (and especially innocent others) safer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    So yes or no?
    You missed this question. I need to know your answer here.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  18. #3161
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    You missed this question. I need to know your answer here.
    No, I gave a more thorough answer in the actual thread, which is the only real place to continue that explanation, if you really want to. This is just a digest of sorts.

    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Ask Mr. Religion (January 1st, 2018),Rusha (December 31st, 2017)

  20. #3162
    Over 5000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    5,418
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,031 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    278827
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    No, I gave a more thorough answer in the actual thread, which is the only real place to continue that explanation, if you really want to. This is just a digest of sorts.

    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...71#post5162071
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  21. #3163
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    The Wrap
    on...


    AB tried reasoning with one of the anti-science crowd and the response left him with a want of gravity, and this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Try jumping and staying up in the air. After that fails try thinking.

    Had an argument about an argument and argument itself with Yor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    So if there is support for it will you admit that means higher academia lacks wisdom and virtue?
    Once again, no. I don't believe you'll support it, but irrespective of that it's a world on a turtle's back. You assume/assert by inference that believing in any particular economic philosophy or theory is indicative of a want of wisdom or virtue. I think that's an intellectually untenable position. Who decides the question and upon what empirically verifiable, objectively irrefutable foundation?

    I'm only saying that finding the truth takes work.
    No argument there.

    And it requires that one expose themselves to the possibility of being wrong which can be hard sometimes.
    Anyone who enters into an argument of parts does exactly that, I hope. That said, there is no virtue in pretending our best effort is suspect (if we thought it so we would still be searching) and no vice in insisting a better reason supplant it otherwise. Or, every reasonable soul is fallible, but then we know we contend among the (at best) equally fallible other.

    Had a word with PJ in the conspiracy thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    People, many who are Christians, believe a flat earth is possible.
    Some people who are Christians can't locate Washington D.C. on a map. But being Christian has nothing to do with believing in a flat earth or map troubles. It's just a bad use of a Venn diagram.

    You're consumed with the dangers of conspiracy theories and how "it hurts the world"?
    Fewer than 50 posts against your working on 500 and I'm consumed by something?

    Responded to CC on the efficacy of using a Trump wins the presidency prediction as a larger indicator of insight...
    Quote Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
    He knew what he was talking about when hen started this thread apparently.
    I once, on St. Patrick's Day, threw a bullseye dart while nearly falling down drunk.

    It didn't make me a darts champion.

    jsanford called for a reasoned and civil difference on gun control, which had me hopeful, but before long...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanford108 View Post
    Okay. I am not being condescending, but I am going to walk you through the first three parts of the document known as "We the People," and the Bill of Rights (preamble, first and second amendment), akin to a 5th grade history class.


    You can continue this preference for falsehood, but that would render you willfully ignorant.
    And that's nonsense prima facie, as I cannot hold both the knowing advance of a falsity and be ignorant of the same. That's always been a lazy, irrational bit of rhetoric. Pick an insult.

    You are trying to make an argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam).
    No, I would be making an argument from authority had I advanced my qualifications and said that because of them my position on a particular (outside of an understanding or point directly tied to any or all of them) must be true.

    Now here's what actually happened. You said that my remarks demonstrated "an ignorance of firearms". Responding that I am a life long hunter, possessing a qualified skill in their use, among other notes, is a clear rebuttal on the general point you make in your mistaken assumption.

    And after Newt publicly proclaimed Trump a master of communication, I had to wonder...
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Did he mean that in the post-literate society sense?

    Free tried the ol...
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    Did you know there are studies out that show that college graduates show a either a decline in the ability to think critically over what they had when they entered college or no increase in that ability?
    Who would have conducted those studies again?

    More seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
    If a man had a wooden leg would that make him, a table?
    Depends on what you saw.

    Happened upon a conversation in progress...
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    Do you consider Donald Trump to be an honorable man?
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Compared to who?
    Anyone with actual honor would be a good start.

    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    I'm looking forward to this 'discussion'.
    Did you mean to write deflection? Or was it just her?

    GM was busy being GM...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
    All I know is, Trump is, by far, the BEST president I've seen in my lifetime.
    So you were legally blind prior to 2017?

    ...Donald John Trump is #1 in my opinion.
    As opposed to a really big #2?

    Leading to the predictable...
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Oh, the Town Clown has decided to lower himself and address one of my posts.
    Well, I believe it's a good idea to give people a chance to do better, put the ball over the plate now and then and see what happens.


    Goin' slummin' becomes you, little clown.
    And another one in the dirt. But that's baseball for you.

    Speaking of Trump...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
    Are you becoming nervous about the possibility that our president might just receive, higher approval ratings?
    No, I've watched a little reality tv. I know what people are capable of...

    Tomorrow? Over the river and around the bend to grammar's house...something like that.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (May 7th, 2018),Ask Mr. Religion (May 11th, 2018),patrick jane (May 7th, 2018),Rusha (May 7th, 2018),WizardofOz (May 7th, 2018)

  23. #3164
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,411
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked 6,881 Times in 3,998 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147809
    Looks like GM has closed his The Importance of Being Political Today thread...though in fairness it was the only way you he could keep him from spamming the thing to pieces.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Rusha (May 11th, 2018)

  25. #3165
    TOL Subscriber Grosnick Marowbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    33,418
    Thanks
    15,818
    Thanked 32,288 Times in 21,754 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147896
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Looks like GM has closed his The Importance of Being Political Today thread...though in fairness it was the only way you he could keep him from spamming the thing to pieces.
    Wouldn't that have been a travesty, pal? I see you're still on the attack. That's fine with me. I tried to show you a little kindness/civility and this is how you repay me? Your character needs some improvement.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

    Tambora (May 17th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us