Thread: Town Quixote's

Thanks
    Thanked 7,614 Times in 4,385 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (August 19th, 2018),Ask Mr. Religion (August 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dana died the other day and I didn’t know. It seems impossible. Impossible that she should be absent from this world for a minute without it altering the light. Impossible that it happened and I didn’t feel it in the air like a current. Something in the universe should have stopped my day then and lowered my head. It’s unfair, unkind, cruel to those who knew her. Cruel to those who fell away. Or maybe that’s just me being selfish again.

She was the first person I said I love you to who wasn’t a member of my family and the first to say it back to me for a season. And being with her was like the first time you hold a baseball in your hand as a boy and believe you can throw it. Or the first time you hear a song that changes how you feel about music forever…that was Dana to me. A sort of miracle. A transformation.

Of course, first loves, especially of the high school variety, are doomed to overly tragic and dramatic ends, but if we find the right person for it then the experience sets the table for what comes next, makes us better, our hopes stronger, and our intentions clearer for the life of it. I had Dana, so I was set. She helped create a hopeful romantic, and the belief that anything was possible because I had won her once.

Why she put up with me at all was a mystery for the ages. I think it was that she loved to laugh. I managed that, from the time I threw the front tire off of my bicycle trying to make an exit, to the inadvertent rake to the forehead incident no one would believe unless they saw it, and a thousand small, goofy moments that left her laughing and me feeling like a king, a lumberjack, and the kid with the cool all in one. Sometimes she even laughed when I meant for her to.

She was beautiful and sweet, and kind. I don’t believe that I ever really thanked her for any of it. We had a conversation one night near Tony’s wedding when we caught up and hashed through years and days and friends and I got to make her laugh again. I didn’t realize it would be the last time. You never really know when that moment arrives and passes until you get the news and the world changes. You think you have all the time you’ll ever need for everything. At least enough.

Until you don’t. And there she goes again, teaching me something important.

I am sorry that you’re gone, my lovely girl. I will tell my son about you when he’s old enough to find someone like you. I hope he finds someone like you. Someone wonderful to share that first heartbreak with. I hope everyone is so lucky, even if I know they can’t be.

I will miss you the way a child misses summer. The way a young man looks back on home as he leaves it. The way a boy says goodbye to the first girl he loved.

Goodbye.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; August 30th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.

Pro-Life

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (September 1st, 2018),Ask Mr. Religion (August 30th, 2018),Rusha (August 30th, 2018),Sherman (August 30th, 2018),steko (August 30th, 2018),Supremum (September 18th, 2018)

The Flying Troll Hammer ✈ Spam Killing Tomcat Sherman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,770 Times in 8,315 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had a friend in my church die about the same time from a heart attack. She seemed perfectly healthy last sunday, talking and visiting. It struck her very suddenly. You realize how fleeting life can be.

The Troll Shredder--Brrrtttttt!

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? More like tolerate perversity.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

Grosnick Marowbe (August 30th, 2018),JudgeRightly (September 3rd, 2018),Town Heretic (August 30th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Recently saw a video by a commentator of color on CRTV, a conservative media outlet that makes the rounds. This fellow decided to attack Nike's decision to use Colin Kaepernick as one of the spokesmen in their most recent ad campaign. He talked about Colin being a bad qb, hit the usual greedy/lazy/pampered athlete and faux outrage buttons while appointing himself the noble defender of the military and our flag...which led me to the following.

It would help if this guy appeared to know something about his target. Kaepernick was actually a pretty good qb with enormous untapped potential, as anyone who followed that saga understands. Colin, still wet behind the ears, took over a Niner team and led them to a tough loss in the SB, falling 3 pts short in a great game against Baltimore. The next year as the man from day one, he took his team to the NFC Championship game, losing another tough battle, this time to the Seahawks, who dominated Denver and won the SB that year. An up and down year followed, for Colin and the team, as they lost talent and, eventually, their coaching staff. He was sidelined by injury in 2015, then NCAA wunderkind Kelly arrived and became another cautionary tale for college to pro coaching transitions. It was so bad that Kaepernick left 20 million on the table to get out.

Toward the end of his stay in SF, Colin took an enormously unpopular stand. One that has essentially blacklisted him within the league.

Now, other than make money by stammering through an assumptive and under informed screed while representing a largely white constituency as their colorful beard, what has this commentator sacrificed, other than his credibility? He wants to paint Kaepernick's road as an easy one? A man of color in conservative ranks is like a girl in a comic book shop. And while I'm at it, there have been and remain more than a few former soldiers who support either the cause or the exercise (or both) of that liberty by Kaepernick. I guess this guy doesn't think as much of their service, which makes you wonder what he's actually serving up.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The Wrap
    on Mondays

WoZ made a spot-on about resource allocation...
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    Your posts are a waste of time as usual. Rather than just tell us this "self-explanatory" ending, you say watch the movie.
    DFT_Dave can prove the earth is flat is you just watch his youtube videos. Don't trust me? Just ask him.
    Maybe we should all make videos and post them instead.

GM was busy doing a drive by bit on a banned poster...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
    Far-left Liberals look good in red.
    What's next, going to go to a cemetery and dare a resident to knock that chip off of your shoulder?

Before trying out a time honored political approach...
    Bill Clinton, now there's a man who KNEW how to 'honor his Wife.' What a guy.
    So that's the gold standard? So long as you can find a moral wretch on the other side the morality of your candidate isn't important?

That's not even setting the bar. It's leaving it on the ground.

Then Chrys said...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
    The bar is winning and not letting the baby killing democrats put another liberal on the court.
    Like the last time, when they gave us Roe...wait, no, that was a conservative appointed majority.

Considered the object of adoration...
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    If we only delight in God when the sun is on our face and the wind is fair then we might as well have worshiped the weather.

Answered JR on a notion...
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    So, @Arthur Brain @eider @The Barbarian @Town Heretic, and anyone else who opposes the system put forth by myself and others here and in the Bible,
    Rather, I've said that for its day you couldn't really do much better. But we can expect more now. I don't fault God for not demanding what men were incapable of providing, but we can do more today. In the same spirit I don't condemn medical practioners of the day for failing to prescribe a course of antibiotics to help fight off an infection. But if a doctor practicing today didn't I'd say it was reasonable to investigate whether or not he should be licensed.

I need you to, or at least I am hoping you will, acknowledge that a system that tends to acquit murderers is a system that thereby leads to the killing of the innocent.
    The system we have in place doesn't tend to acquit murderers. As with any system that's going to happen, but it's the exception to the rule, not the rule or tendency. The rule with our system is that it tends to convict well over 90% of people charged with any crime and it comes with protections for the innocent wrongfully convicted.

That's a good thing.
    Talked to a few people about witnesses and Christ sparing a woman, what that might mean. Some of them said that the narrative had witnesses and that it stayed within the context of the law, which I didn't think was supported by the actual text. Found a bit about witnesses worth taking a look at, including the fact the witnesses were supposed to be subjected to three sorts of examination, none of which happened. That sort of thing. Moving on then.

This is as good a sum of offering and response on those conversations as any...
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    You seem to be very ignorant of the Law and of God who gave the Law if you think God is all about justice without mercy.
    What I actually wrote was about the law and its purpose before Christ's foreshadowing and the cross. I think that when you make Christ into the worst sort of lawyer, shrugging off justice in the name of legal technicality, it's a bad notion and a sure sign you've missed something important...

Why would you think that Jesus would do something so unjust?
    I literally never said that he did something unjust. I've said that he did something a few of you are deeply invested in not accepting, which is a very different thing.

Jesus did not do it the way you expected Him to do it?
    That is your excuse?
    I'm not advancing or looking for an excuse to explain something I didn't expect.

You are too steeped in the corruption that lawyers are accused of to understand that Jesus used the actual words of the Law to confound a trap set by legalists.
    You're too invested in preserving your understanding of the narrative to see that Jesus wasn't avoiding a trap he could walk out of with a pronouncement of insufficiency on the part of that crowd within the context of the law. He didn't give that instruction. He did something else.

The requirement is that the witnesses are not false witnesses.
    The scribes and Pharisees failed that criteria, which is the only real explanation for why Jesus said "let he who is without sin".
    It not only isn't, you've been given another.

Yes, the scribes and Pharisees did not have as good of an understanding of the Law of Moses as they thought.
    That's contrary to common sense. The trap was concocted by people who would be responsible for the operation of the law. You should take a look at the witness bit I reproduced from the site on Jewish law.

We also don't have to concoct hypotheticals about what justice is when those hypotheticals involve getting justice by violating the Law.
    I'm confident that if we had a murderer who got off because a lawyer noted a technical failing in procedure no one trying to advance this would say that justice was served, but you have to say it here or you have a problem. So you say it.

GM was back and, to his credit, actually liked this one...
    It looks as if TH loves to see his name up in lights, so to say.
    You're like the gold standard for pointless.

This one...not so much...
    I love your LOGICAL approach, it's rather refreshing. No matter how hard I look at Calvinism, I can't seem to find ANY logic or reason in it. I wonder why?
    Maybe you're trying to climb a mountain in loafers.

Started talking to AB about the DP on the QT...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Do you think minors should be executed?
    No. They're doing math with a bad calculator to begin with and I'm against the DP in general because we kill innocent people too often and there's no recourse for that.

That said, I wouldn't put a murderer on the street again. I might have a different prison for people who demonstrate genuine reform and regret, especially those who made their choice as younger people. But once you demonstrate the inability to reign in that impulse at any point in your life I think you have your citizenship card revoked in terms of personal freedom.

So, of course...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    God said to execute capital criminals.
    And not to eat shellfish. All sorts of things, really. He held Israel to some tough standards, that's for certain. We don't execute our criminals here for the most part, though it varies by state and more states than not still have it on the books.

We let too many guilty people go free, which has led to the crime epidemic.
    You should change your system then. It's different over here. And we don't have a crime epidemic here either. What sort of hell-hole state do you live in? Whatever your nation of origin and residence, I hope you get a handle on it without killing a lot of people.

Capital criminals should be executed upon conviction regardless of their age.
    What about lower case killers?

That way, people will learn that murder is bad and it won't happen.
    Cause that's really at the heart of it. People just don't realize how bad murder is...

Or if it does, it will be shocking.
    Nothing worse than the old, boring, pedestrian murders.

Tomorrow? Could take a while.

Pro-Life

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (September 17th, 2018)

TOL Subscriber Grosnick Marowbe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,930 Times in 22,210 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wrap
    on Mondays

Then Chrys said...

Talked to a few people about witnesses and Christ sparing a woman, what that might mean. Some of them said that the narrative had witnesses and that it stayed within the context of the law, which I didn't think was supported by the actual text. Found a bit about witnesses worth taking a look at, including the fact the witnesses were supposed to be subjected to three sorts of examination, none of which happened. That sort of thing. Moving on then.

So, of course...

I'm elated that you've decided to include 'Old GM' in TOL's version of the 'National Enquirer.' Thanks, so much.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

Town Heretic (September 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Appreciated GM's heartfelt thanks so much I'm reproducing it with his parts all in bold.

The Wrap
    on Mondays

Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    Your posts are a waste of time as usual. Rather than just tell us this "self-explanatory" ending, you say watch the movie.
    DFT_Dave can prove the earth is flat is you just watch his youtube videos. Don't trust me? Just ask him.
    Maybe we should all make videos and post them instead.

Far-left Liberals look good in red.
    What's next, going to go to a cemetery and dare a resident to knock that chip off of your shoulder?

Bill Clinton, now there's a man who KNEW how to 'honor his Wife.' What a guy.
    So that's the gold standard? So long as you can find a moral wretch on the other side the morality of your candidate isn't important?

That's not even setting the bar. It's leaving it on the ground.

Then Chrys said...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
    The bar is winning and not letting the baby killing democrats put another liberal on the court.
    Like the last time, when they gave us Roe...wait, no, that was a conservative appointed majority.

If we only delight in God when the sun is on our face and the wind is fair then we might as well have worshiped the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    So, @Arthur Brain @eider @The Barbarian @Town Heretic, and anyone else who opposes the system put forth by myself and others here and in the Bible,
    Rather, I've said that for its day you couldn't really do much better. But we can expect more now. I don't fault God for not demanding what men were incapable of providing, but we can do more today. In the same spirit I don't condemn medical practioners of the day for failing to prescribe a course of antibiotics to help fight off an infection. But if a doctor practicing today didn't I'd say it was reasonable to investigate whether or not he should be licensed.

I need you to, or at least I am hoping you will, acknowledge that a system that tends to acquit murderers is a system that thereby leads to the killing of the innocent.
    The system we have in place doesn't tend to acquit murderers. As with any system that's going to happen, but it's the exception to the rule, not the rule or tendency. The rule with our system is that it tends to convict well over 90% of people charged with any crime and it comes with protections for the innocent wrongfully convicted.

That's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    You seem to be very ignorant of the Law and of God who gave the Law if you think God is all about justice without mercy.
    What I actually wrote was about the law and its purpose before Christ's foreshadowing and the cross. I think that when you make Christ into the worst sort of lawyer, shrugging off justice in the name of legal technicality, it's a bad notion and a sure sign you've missed something important...

Why would you think that Jesus would do something so unjust?
    I literally never said that he did something unjust. I've said that he did something a few of you are deeply invested in not accepting, which is a very different thing.

Jesus did not do it the way you expected Him to do it?
    That is your excuse?
    I'm not advancing or looking for an excuse to explain something I didn't expect.

You are too steeped in the corruption that lawyers are accused of to understand that Jesus used the actual words of the Law to confound a trap set by legalists.
    You're too invested in preserving your understanding of the narrative to see that Jesus wasn't avoiding a trap he could walk out of with a pronouncement of insufficiency on the part of that crowd within the context of the law. He didn't give that instruction. He did something else.

The requirement is that the witnesses are not false witnesses.
    The scribes and Pharisees failed that criteria, which is the only real explanation for why Jesus said "let he who is without sin".
    It not only isn't, you've been given another.

Yes, the scribes and Pharisees did not have as good of an understanding of the Law of Moses as they thought.
    That's contrary to common sense. The trap was concocted by people who would be responsible for the operation of the law. You should take a look at the witness bit I reproduced from the site on Jewish law.

We also don't have to concoct hypotheticals about what justice is when those hypotheticals involve getting justice by violating the Law.
    I'm confident that if we had a murderer who got off because a lawyer noted a technical failing in procedure no one trying to advance this would say that justice was served, but you have to say it here or you have a problem. So you say it.

It looks as if TH loves to see his name up in lights, so to say.
    You're like the gold standard for pointless.

I love your LOGICAL approach, it's rather refreshing. No matter how hard I look at Calvinism, I can't seem to find ANY logic or reason in it. I wonder why?
    Maybe you're trying to climb a mountain in loafers.

Do you think minors should be executed?
    No. They're doing math with a bad calculator to begin with and I'm against the DP in general because we kill innocent people too often and there's no recourse for that.

That said, I wouldn't put a murderer on the street again. I might have a different prison for people who demonstrate genuine reform and regret, especially those who made their choice as younger people. But once you demonstrate the inability to reign in that impulse at any point in your life I think you have your citizenship card revoked in terms of personal freedom.

So, of course...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    God said to execute capital criminals.
    And not to eat shellfish. All sorts of things, really. He held Israel to some tough standards, that's for certain. We don't execute our criminals here for the most part, though it varies by state and more states than not still have it on the books.

We let too many guilty people go free, which has led to the crime epidemic.
    You should change your system then. It's different over here. And we don't have a crime epidemic here either. What sort of hell-hole state do you live in? Whatever your nation of origin and residence, I hope you get a handle on it without killing a lot of people.

Capital criminals should be executed upon conviction regardless of their age.
    What about lower case killers?

That way, people will learn that murder is bad and it won't happen.
    Cause that's really at the heart of it. People just don't realize how bad murder is...

Or if it does, it will be shocking.
    Nothing worse than the old, boring, pedestrian murders.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A friend: "Once you realize that WWE is just a show, what's the point?"

Me: "You say that, but I bet you still vote."

Pro-Life

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (September 18th, 2018)

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,946 Times in 4,604 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A friend: "Once you realize that WWE is just a show, what's the point?"

Me: "You say that, but I bet you still vote."
    Man, what about all those pay per views...?

Well this is fun isn't it?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Man, what about all those pay per views...?

Primaries?

Pro-Life

Thread Information