Thanks
    Thanked 32,222 Times in 21,723 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    When I see one of your posts, I go there. This is all your fault.

Seriously, dude. You are always leading me to some "situation" or another.

But, that's okay. It makes life interesting.
    It's all part of my agenda.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

Tambora (May 17th, 2018)

TOL Subscriber Grosnick Marowbe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,222 Times in 21,723 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Townster fancies himself to be a kind of reporter on TOL. So, I suggest he entitle his news outlet: "FAUX News."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

Tambora (May 17th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,867 Times in 3,989 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

So my mother had a birthday today and we had lunch together. It's always good to get the family around the table. The older you get the more value little things take on and so much of what ate away at time that once felt inexhaustible falls away and into unimportance as the limits of that time approach.

I was a sports nut for most of my life. Of late I find myself watching the playoffs in baseball, and the finals in the NBA, but almost nothing of the regular season...and not nearly as much of the regular season NFL as I did even a couple of years ago. What surprises me is how it doesn't bother me. How easy it is to let go of it.

There's a lesson in that, I suspect. I'm going to be applying more of it in my present, which is where I've been living of late. And I suspect that's a good thing.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; May 17th, 2018 at 06:58 PM.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (May 18th, 2018),patrick jane (May 17th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,867 Times in 3,989 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

As to the practical impact of that consideration on this thread and The Wrap, I think they can coexist. By way of example:

The Wrap
    on Thursday

Talked North Korea with Rusha...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
    *Odd* as in exactly what I have come to expect. IF NK was so easy to fix, it would have happened years ago.
    The only hope I had on the point was that NK might use the regime change to shift gears. So far...

And PJ...
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    Trump makes it look easy.
    Makes what, exactly, look easy? I'd be happy to see NK actually begin to change how they do business, but have they really?

Elsewhere, Rex was ruminating...
    Quote Originally Posted by rexlunae View Post
    So, Trump submitted his financial disclosures about paying for Stormy Daniels...and immediately got referred to the Justice Department by the Office of Government Ethics for any possible investigation.

I know, shocking, right?
    That this administration still has an Office of Government Ethics?

Who heads it? (someone is going to Clinton drop here) The ghost of LBJ?

Started a thread where people can reflect on their TOL experience, which led to...
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    9. Has your exposure to the views found here contributed to your having a more/less favorable impression of atheists?

In question #8 you said "religion," and in question #9 you said "atheists," so you're setting an evaluation of a belief system side by side with an evaluation of individuals. If I were to answer to "atheists," I'd say the ones I've encountered on TOL are intelligent and civil. But to maintain continuity with your previous question, I'll say I have a neutral impression of atheism.
    I think religion is much more of a piece than atheism, especially to atheists. That's what accounts for the distinction. I recall when I travelled in those circles for years it was frequently a bit like a turn on Faulkner's southern racist, who hated the race but frequently loved the individual. That struck me as the general tone among people like me at the time who simply found the idea of God a misplaced bit of wishful thinking.

On the other hand, I was curious about how people who came here with a particular religious perspective responded to seeing other perspectives rooted in other faiths and methodological approaches in relation to their larger view. I wondered if the intimacy would widen their lens. So I thought it would be better to speak to both in different frames of reference. Thanks for responding thoughtfully.

And...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
    3. If you could change one thing about the way things are here what would it be?

Equal enforcement of the rules.

6. What was your primary reason for deciding to stick around here for a while?

Intelligent debate regardless of disagreement and forum friends.

10. Are you more or less emphatic in your beliefs of in any particular belief you came to TOL with as a direct result of your time here?

Yes ... both. I have a deeper understanding and empathy of those dealing with religious,racial and gender issues/bias. I have less tolerance for the persecutors.

While the Marxist thread made me consider that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    A funny thing about people who believe property is theft. They keep trying to take it from other people.

Tomorrow? Night baseball.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; May 17th, 2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: tense shift
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

patrick jane (May 17th, 2018),Rusha (May 18th, 2018)

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,568 Times in 13,014 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    So my mother had a birthday today and we had lunch together. It's always good to get the family around the table. The older you get the more value little things take on and so much of what ate away at time that once felt inexhaustible falls away and into unimportance as the limits of that time approach.

I was a sports nut for most of my life. Of late I find myself watching the playoffs in baseball, and the finals in the NBA, but almost nothing of the regular season...and not nearly as much of the regular season NFL as I did even a couple of years ago. What surprises me is how it doesn't bother me. How easy it is to let go of it.

There's a lesson in that, I suspect. I'm going to be applying more of it in my present, which is where I've been living of late. And I suspect that's a good thing.
    Yep, sports and politics take a back seat now for me. Life is too short. My Mom's birthday was May 16. Pretty close.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

Town Heretic (May 17th, 2018)

Thread Information