User Tag List

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Quotations

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first and final thing you have to do in this world is to last in it and not be smashed by it, and it is the same way with your work. This is at once a rule for the conduct of your life and a rule for the conduct of art: to last, and to do work that will last.
    -Ernest Hemingway

"If its true that our species is alone in the universe, then Id have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
    -George Carlin

It is time that Christians were judged more by their likeness to Christ than their notions of Christ. Were this sentiment generally admitted we should not see such tenacious adherence to what men deem opinions and doctrines of Christ while at the same time, in everyday practice, is exhibited anything but the likeness of Christ.
    -Lucretia Mott

"Wherever the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science, it is killed."
    -Joseph Campbell

Man. He sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present. The result being that he does not live in the present or the future. He lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived.
    -The Dalai Lama

I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. Youd be surprised how far that gets you.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson
    In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
    -Adam Hamilton

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzword For Your Post:

theophilus (July 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,765 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post

I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. Youd be surprised how far that gets you.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson
    I like that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 657 Posts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark Twain - "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eeset For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,262 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb caring......

~*~*~

I just thought to share a quote I heard on our local Catholic station, but I dont recall who its attributed to.

"People dont care how much you know... until they know how much you care".

Interesting reversal-play on words brings contrasting insights.

pj

8. The Following User Says Thank You to freelight For Your Post:

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Eat your spinach! There's children starving in China!"

mom, 1967

10. The Following User Says Thank You to resurrected For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,681 Times in 11,873 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
    "Eat your spinach! There's children starving in China!"

mom, 1967
    Please send them my spinach.

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

LoneStar (April 24th, 2016),Tambora (April 24th, 2016),theophilus (July 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,189 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"I cannot conceive how anybody in his right mind should go to a psychoanalyst." Vladimir Nabokov

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." William Wordsworth

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,681 Times in 11,873 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried.

To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.

All of the above quotes are by Gilbert K. Chesterton

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

LoneStar (April 24th, 2016),Tambora (April 24th, 2016),theophilus (July 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,765 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

18. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,912 Times in 6,935 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

some really cool dude
    Some really cool dude that was resurrected.

Anything from Ronald Reagan or Winston Churchill
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Over 1000 post club dreadknought's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Have a favorite quotation?

Famous, infamous, obscure, secular, religious, ancient, modern. profound, pithy or humorous: post it here.

If you have context or commentary, feel free to add that too.

“These woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.”
    Robert Frost

From the preface of C.S. Lewis Mere Christianity: “I hope no reader will suppose that ‘mere’ Christianity is here put forward as an alternative to the creeds of the existing communions—as if a man could adopt it in preference to Congregationalism or Greek Orthodoxy or something else. It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable. It is true that some people may find they have to wait in the hall for a considerable time, while others feel certain almost at once which door they must knock at. I do not know why there is this indifference, but I am sure God keeps no one waiting unless He sees that it is good for him to wait. When you do get into your room you will find that the long wait has done you some kind of good which you would not have had otherwise. But you must regard it as waiting, not as camping. You must keep on praying for light: and, of course, even in the hall, you must begin trying to obey the rules which are common to the whole house. And above all you must be asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and paneling. In plain language, the question should never be; ‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but “Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular door-keeper?’

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.”
    "I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence." I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, And my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue:"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. NASB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dreadknought For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,382 Times in 797 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Mother Theresa arrived in Calcutta with just threepence people laughed, "what's an old woman with threepence going to do here?"

She replied "With threepence and Jesus I can do anything"
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Totton Linnet For Your Post:

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

~ Marianne Williamson

This quote is my all time fave...it carries a very deep, personal meaning for me.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder's Muse For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught. - Baba Dioum

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity. - Henry David Thoreau

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world - John Muir

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

We must rapidly begin the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. - Martin Luther King Jr.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dena For Your Post:

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only lose that which you cling to ~ can't remember

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder's Muse For Your Post: