User Tag List

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 512

Thread: Matthew 12:40

  1. #91
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12078
    Right Divider,

    re: "You're still not understanding the Hebrew idiom whereby any part of a day is a day."

    And I point out in post #9 that I agree, but that is not the issue for the purpose of the OP.


    re: "You're stuck on the 24 hour thing."

    Actually, you're the one that's stuck on the 24 hour thing. I've said nothing about 24 hours.

  2. #92
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Can you please show me a verse where that is used? You never give any references so that we can follow along.
    Luke 23:54.

  3. #93
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    We can go through the crucifixion, entombment, and resurrection of Jesus if you want. I'm game.

  4. #94
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    Quote Originally Posted by False Prophet View Post
    Jesus died before Good Friday.
    When did he die?

  5. #95
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,644
    Thanks
    2,095
    Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,428 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    534609
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
    genuineoriginal,

    re: "The days we call Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are the three days and three nights, according to Ignatius."

    I don't see where Ignatius provides an example from the time when the Gospels were written or before which shows a phrase stating a certain number of days and/or a certain number of nights to be contained in a period of time when the period of time absolutely couldn't have included at least parts of the specified number of days and at least parts of the specified number of nights.
    So, you don't see how a writer from the first century who states that Jesus died late on Friday, was in the grave all of Saturday, and rose early on Sunday uses the phrase "three days and three nights" when there are only two nights between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning?

    Irregardless of whether it was an idiom or not, all the records from the first century about the crucifixion describe it as Jesus dying a Friday afternoon and Jesus rising on a Sunday morning.

    The modern theory that Jesus really died on a Wednesday afternoon and rose on a Saturday afternoon is not supported by any historical documents.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  6. #96
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Irregardless of whether it was an idiom or not, all the records from the first century about the crucifixion describe it as Jesus dying a Friday afternoon and Jesus rising on a Sunday morning.
    Do you know what the sign was that identified Jesus as being the Christ?

  7. #97
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,644
    Thanks
    2,095
    Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,428 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    534609
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Do you know what the sign was that identified Jesus as being the Christ?
    There are more signs than one.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  8. #98
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    There are more signs than one.
    But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

    "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." (Matthew 12:39-40)

    When Jesus said no sign except..., how many more signs do you think he gave?

  9. #99
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    7,277
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 822 Times in 713 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Lazarus first sign to "Israel"

    Jesus second sign to "Israel"

    Two Witnesses of Tribulation third sign to "Israel"

  10. #100
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

    "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." (Matthew 12:39-40)

    When Jesus said no sign except..., how many more signs do you think he gave?
    The fact that the writers of the scriptures couldn't get their story straight on the resurrection is not a good sign.

    Did Jesus die on the Passover or feast on the Passover?

  11. #101
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEgo View Post
    Did Jesus die on the Passover or feast on the Passover?
    Jesus died at about 3 PM Hebrew time on Nisan 14, a Wednesday.

  12. #102
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Jesus died at about 3 PM Hebrew time on Nisan 14, a Wednesday.
    So when did he celebrate the Passover seder?

  13. #103
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEgo View Post
    So when did he celebrate the Passover seder?
    Jesus observed his Passover the evening he was betrayed which was the evening that began the 14th. The next morning he was condemned, beaten, and crucified. He was laid in a tomb just as the 15th began at sundown. He was resurrected 72 hours later as Sunday began.

  14. #104
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Jesus observed his Passover the evening he was betrayed which was the evening that began the 14th. The next morning he was condemned, beaten, and crucified. He was laid in a tomb just as the 15th began at sundown. He was resurrected 72 hours later as Sunday began.
    The evening of Nisan 14 (sounds like 2014 model of the popular Japanese car) all the lambs would have been killed.

    But before they could prepare dinner they were already into Nisan 14:

    Mar 14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

  15. #105
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,077
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328455
    Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEgo View Post
    But before they could prepare dinner they were already into Nisan 14:

    Mar 14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
    The Mosaic Passover was the next afternoon, the afternoon of the 14th.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us