Thanked 5,964 Times in 3,500 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Jack knows his daddy's chin from his own
    And a cat from a giraffe.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Over 1000 post club dreadknought's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    As you can see that poem of sorts has already changed again...I think I mean for the thread to be relatively short, possibly poetic observations of moments in our daily lives.....

I awoke on a cool morn
    and crawled outside
    I stood and looked around the land
    then raised my head to the sky

I began to wander
    in such natural beauty
    a Dogwood, an Apple tree
    I'm blown away by the sights before me

I turn down a path going down
    side to side so many different trees
    going down to a fishing hole
    a beauty forcing me to my knees

the leaves reflecting the early morning light
    casting shadows and images on the water
    most beautiful, tranquil and inviting
    hmmm.... this place needs a photographer

I reach in my bag
    and pull out a camera
    taking picture after picture
    giving thanks to Jehovah Jira

Spoiler

"I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence." I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, And my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue:"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. NASB

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Today they're burying a favorite cousin. When we were kids they called her Debbie, but to me she was "Bugs". She bore that typically childish expression of affection with grace and good humor. But then, she was three years older and much wiser than I could have hoped to be.

Thinking of her, I can tell you she was kind and generous, that she was good, patient and true, that her inward beauty dwarfed an outward blessing that should have sparked envy, but couldn't if you knew her.

We hadn't spoken in years. Time and life will do that. But every time her name was mentioned I had to smile and think of my friend and wish her the sort of life her heart merited. Well, life is rarely that kind, but I have to believe she found her measure of happiness. Knowing what I do about her I can't believe otherwise.

She leaves behind a loving family, both near and far.

I could say any number of things about Deb, but it wouldn't do her justice. There isn't time. So instead a simpler epitaph, the weight of which pins me to the ground today even as they lower a shadow of her into it.

I loved her, as everyone who knew her must. She will be missed.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PureX View Post
    Music.

There's something about listening to music that just makes my soul jump out of my body and dance around the room.

Me, too! I love to dance.

Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Blessed is the man that...... Psalmist's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may seem a bit morbid and dark...

A Momentary Life

When we our oldest had passed away this past August (2012), at the visitation for Thomas as we stood there looking at our son laying motionless, there came to my mind the hymn, "Safe In The Arms Of Jesus," and I answered silently, "Yes, Lord, amen."

Thus it was settled, a "defining moment" in "A Momentary Life."

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
    .....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
    Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

The best portion of a personís life -- are the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love. ~ William Wordsworth

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

An old song I wrote at...sixteen, seventeen...a lifetime ago. I still like the last verse.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; August 7th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished building this balance beam for my 7 y.o. mini-niece Sienna. So I sent her mom a photo with a note to let her know it's ready.

"I know a little girl who's looking for one of these"

Got back this: "... that turned out great!!!! Sissy is so excited!!! Def b out very very soon to get maybe tomorrow!!!! Thx u sooo much u made a little girl very happy!!!

What a nice day.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a wage in what americans would term, a "grocery store".
    One day not that long ago, there was an infant - no more than six months old - being taken round the store by his/her mother and we both caught sight of each other at the same moment. I smiled and instantly he/she smiled back. That smile honestly changed my life. There was such purity in that smile! No assessments, no judgements, no self-interest......just a whole hearted smile that was expressed more so by the eyes than the mouth.
    I was so moved by this moment that I had to take my break early and get space and peace to think about why it had had such an effect on me. Then I realised that, quite spontaneously, a deep spiritual question that had been bothering, (maybe even tormenting me), had been resolved. The Hindu / Buddhist concept of "nothingness" or the "void" had always troubled me because I could not dis-associate the concept from dismal, bland, uneventful darkness. However, now I had experienced that "nothingness" as it truly is, in the eyes of that adorable infant. No assessment, no judgement, no pre-judgement, no self interest, just.........??? And that's the thing; I can't really find a word for what that was but it was heaven on earth.

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder's Muse View Post
    With overwhelming joy,
    I barely recognise the woman I see
    reflected in the mirror

Not quite a year later and I recognise myself even less.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite a year later and I recognise myself even less.
    ...and yet, others, (like me), recognise you just the same! Of course, outsiders like me only pick up on certain things, but maybe those certain things were virtually unnoticeable to you before?

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Mortimer View Post
    ...and yet, others, (like me), recognise you just the same! Of course, outsiders like me only pick up on certain things, but maybe those certain things were virtually unnoticeable to you before?

I didn't see anything good about myself before....so yeah, I think you are right

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One day not that long ago, there was an infant - no more than six months old - being taken round the store by his/her mother and we both caught sight of each other at the same moment. I smiled and instantly he/she smiled back. That smile honestly changed my life. There was such purity in that smile! No assessments, no judgements, no self-interest......just a whole hearted smile that was expressed more so by the eyes than the mouth.
    I was so moved by this moment that I had to take my break early and get space and peace to think about why it had had such an effect on me. Then I realised that, quite spontaneously, a deep spiritual question that had been bothering, (maybe even tormenting me), had been resolved. The Hindu / Buddhist concept of "nothingness" or the "void" had always troubled me because I could not dis-associate the concept from dismal, bland, uneventful darkness. However, now I had experienced that "nothingness" as it truly is, in the eyes of that adorable infant. No assessment, no judgement, no pre-judgement, no self interest, just.........??? And that's the thing; I can't really find a word for what that was but it was heaven on earth.
    Look up above. Your experience is what I call listening to the smile of a friend.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
    Look up above. Your experience is what I call listening to the smile of a friend.
    I understand!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often, it's those quiet little moments that most strongly exemplify the gift of being.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I didn't see anything good about myself before....so yeah, I think you are right
    My dear friend, I have heard your good through cyberspace!

Thread Information