User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: toldailytopic: Does God require those in the Body of Christ keep the Law?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Of course. Did I say we should not?
    Is the commandment found in the law?
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Untellectual View Post
    Is the commandment found in the law?
    Yes.
    Funny how threads morph.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." ~ Paul

"You should never wave to someone you don't know. What if he doesn't have a hand? Then he'll just think you're being cocky!" ~Mitch Hedberg

__.._

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.
    Then maybe it's not against the law to observe it.
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should honor your Father and Mother.
    Ephesians 6:1-3
    “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” (Exodus 20:12)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then maybe it's not against the law to observe it.
    I never said anything about it being against the law. I said we cannot keep it since we are not under the law given to Israel. How can you keep a law you're not under?

I live in Louisiana. In New York city, there's a law against spitting on the sidewalk. So if I choose to not spit on the sidewalk here in Louisiana, then am I obeying the law of New York City?
    Funny how threads morph.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." ~ Paul

"You should never wave to someone you don't know. What if he doesn't have a hand? Then he'll just think you're being cocky!" ~Mitch Hedberg

__.._

Thanks
    Thanked 31,515 Times in 20,126 Posts

Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I never said anything about it being against the law. I said we cannot keep it since we are not under the law given to Israel. How can you keep a law you're not under?

I live in Louisiana. In New York city, there's a law against spitting on the sidewalk. So if I choose to not spit on the sidewalk here in Louisiana, then am I obeying the law of New York City?
    Nope, you are not breaking the law given for New Yorkers.

I make the alligators look tame.
    A wretched, spiteful, straight-razor totin' woman.
    Lord have mercy.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Nope, you are not breaking the law given for New Yorkers.
    Right. Nor am I keeping it if I don't spit.

If I sit in my easy chair all day on Saturday, I'm not keeping Israel's law of the Sabbath. For if I could possibly be keeping it, then I would be breaking it if I worked. And if I break it, then under that very law, I should be stoned.

If I honor my father and mother, then I'm not keeping Israel's law. For if I could possibly be keeping it, then I would be breaking it if I failed to honor them. And if I break it, then under that very law, I should be executed.

And so on...
    Funny how threads morph.

__.._

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can't keep it, then what's the use in keeping it?

Not that we are saved by keeping it, but that we are commanded to keep it. We ought to be obedient, for God's sake and the sake of Christ.

When you say "it" you are talking about the command. The commandment to Honor your Father and Mother was given to Israel. "Then maybe it's not for us."

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. Nor am I keeping it if I don't spit.

If I sit in my easy chair all day on Saturday, I'm not keeping Israel's law of the Sabbath. For if I could possibly be keeping it, then I would be breaking it if I worked. And if I break it, then under that very law, I should be stoned.

If I honor my father and mother, then I'm not keeping Israel's law. For if I could possibly be keeping it, then I would be breaking it if I failed to honor them. And if I break it, then under that very law, I should be executed.

And so on...
    It doesn't seem like that's what Paul was saying, at least with the moral law. After all, our consciences don't go away as Christians. The law is fulfilled by the spirit (Rom 3:31), not nullified. It is no longer an oppressive taskmaster, but rather a part of us (Jer 31:33).

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can't keep it, then what's the use in keeping it?

Not that we are saved by keeping it, but that we are commanded to keep it. We ought to be obedient, for God's sake and the sake of Christ.

When you say "it" you are talking about the command. The commandment to Honor your Father and Mother was given to Israel. "Then maybe it's not for us."
    I can't tell if we're talking past each other, I'm not writing in an understandable way, or you're just being difficult for fun. I'm sorry if it's either of the first two. I'll try to be more clear.

Israel was given a commandment: Honor your father and mother. All individuals were to keep it, or else there would be a consequence.
    Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee. Deut. 5:16

That was a law given specifically to Israel. It was not given to the Body of Christ. So we cannot keep nor break it. However, should we in the Body of Christ honor our fathers and mothers? Of course! Paul writes to members of the Body of Christ admonishing them to do that very thing. But my honoring of my mother isn't in obedience to a law that I'm not under.

If you do not spit on the sidewalk, are you obeying the laws of New York City, Untellectual?
    Funny how threads morph.

__.._

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't tell if we're talking past each other, I'm not writing in an understandable way, or you're just being difficult for fun. I'm sorry if it's either of the first two. I'll try to be more clear.

Israel was given a commandment: Honor your father and mother. All individuals were to keep it, or else there would be a consequence.
    Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee. Deut. 5:16

That was a law given specifically to Israel. It was not given to the Body of Christ. So we cannot keep nor break it. However, should we in the Body of Christ honor our fathers and mothers? Of course! Paul writes to members of the Body of Christ admonishing them to do that very thing. But my honoring of my mother isn't in obedience to a law that I'm not under.

If you do not spit on the sidewalk, are you obeying the laws of New York City, Untellectual?
    It's the Heart of Christ within you.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read "the Law," and because of the capitalization, I took it to mean the Old Testament Law.

One may say that the only law is, "Mankind reaps what Mankind has sown."

This law is impossible to break, barring miraculous intervention.

I have never heard of a man sowing seeds of weeds, tares or thistles, and then reaping a harvest of raspberries.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a law given specifically to Israel. It was not given to the Body of Christ. So we cannot keep nor break it.
    We ought to keep it. We were strangers to the covenants of promise, and now we are not.
    However, should we in the Body of Christ honor our fathers and mothers? Of course! Paul writes to members of the Body of Christ admonishing them to do that very thing. But my honoring of my mother isn't in obedience to a law that I'm not under.
    You shouldn't think that you are under the commandment as a law if you are keeping it.
    If there is a law to not spit on the sidewalk in New York City, then yes.

The question is if the law of New York City has jurisdiction over me, as I do not live in New York.

Romans 7:1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives?

This conversation should continue, that we be found right even if we have begun the discussion coming from different angles.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man, I think your point is an interesting one, but what do you make of Paul's statement in Romans 13:8-10 in light of our present question?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,496 Times in 9,620 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    If we are walking in the Spirit which of the 10 commandments will we deliberately break?
    The Sabbath.

Now you need to ask yourself which of them you unintentionally break.

Grace is a much higher principle than the law, now if we walk not in the Spirit we are not sinning but we will have not the joy or the peace or the love of God manifest in our lives. What unhappy creatures we shall be...do you know anybody like that?
    WRONG!

If one is not in the Spirit they are in sin. There are only those two options.

We will backslide, we fall back into the ways we had before we were saved and God WILL judge us for it, not at all to the loss of our salvation but He will punish deliberate sin in the life of the believer and we shall suffer great loss.
    How can we backslide if we are dead to sin; that which is dead cannot live again without the power of God, and God will not revive that which He has put to death in us. We cannot be in the Spirit and the flesh at the same time, and if we are in Christ we are in the Spirit, no two ways about it. If you are not in the Spirit you are not in Christ; and if you are not in Christ He is not in you.

Moreover we will lose God's guidance for our lives, we will make mistakes, we will find our way hedged about with thorns. We will get hurt.
    We cannot lose His guidance, we can only ignore it, and we only do that if we focus on the flesh, which is dead and decaying. But why focus on the dead rather than the living? Why focus on a flesh in which we no longer are, rather than the Spirit within which we have been permanently placed?

Keep short accounts with God breths, He will faithfully show you sin, as soon as He does mend your ways. Even human friends do this if they want to maintain fellowship, our fellowship is with God.
    Fellowship with God cannot be lost, for He maintains His fellowship with us, not the other way around. And we cannot mend our ways. We can only act according to our nature, and if we focus on the living we will reflect that in our actions.

If France has laws that say, "Don't steal" and "Don't spit on the sidewalk", then if I don't steal and if I don't spit on the sidewalk, I'm not abiding by the laws of France. I cannot keep something that I am not under and that was not given to me. I can do things that LOOK like French-law-keeping, but I'm not actually keeping their laws.

God gave the law to Israel, not to the Body of Christ. So if I try real hard to honor my father and mother, and I think I'm doing it to keep the law, then I'm fooling myself. I can't possibly keep one aspect of Israel's law since it wasn't given to me.

God didn't give the law to the Body of Christ, therefore God does not expect us to try to keep it. And we couldn't, even if we thought we had to try.

Thread Information