Knight's pick 07-10-2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Classic smack by Clete!!!!

stevenw said:
I agree that words do have meaning and that ideas have consequences. As I stated earlier, the demands of justice require no more than that sin be punished. This can be simply demonstrated through the teaching of Scripture, of the church fathers and of orthodoxy to the present.
First of all let me make it very clear – I don’t give a rip about the church fathers and orthodoxy. All doctrine MUST be of Scripture and sound reason and nothing else – period. Let God be true and every man a liar.

Justice requires more than simply "that sin be punished". It requires that it be punished RIGHTLY. And as I suspected, it is not the definition of justice that Calvinist get wrong, it's just that they ignore how it conflicts with there entire theological worldview. Allow me to explain....

Have you ever heard of a Stolen Concept fallacy? I was only introduced to the term a few months ago myself by another poster here on TOL. It's basically identical to the fallacy known as Begging the Question but it’s a more specific term. Begging the question happens when one presumes the point in question in order to make his argument. Like when you attempt to make a rational argument in order to establish the validity of logic. The Stolen Concept is, as I said, almost identical to this but it has to do with the nature of concepts and how they are built upon other more foundational concepts. An example of a Stolen Concept fallacy would be the statement "All private property is theft." (A statement some idiots actually believe, by the way). The concept of theft presupposes the concept of private property and derives its meaning from it. It is impossible to steal something that does not rightly belong to someone else. The concept of theft is 'genetically' dependent upon the concept of private property, if you'll allow the use of the term.

This Stolen Concept fallacy is what I had in mind when I said that ideas have consequences. If theology was the movie "Ocean's Twelve" and concepts were money, then Calvinists play the role of Ocean almost every time they open their mouths. It's a veritable crime wave of concept theft and what's worse is that they almost always get away with it.

So, how does all this apply to the concept of justice? Good question! Let's start by getting a firmer grip on what we mean when we use the term. There are many ways in which the term justice is used, but in this context I think the only acceptable meaning must conform to the following..

Justice is affording (giving) individuals or groups what they actually deserve or merit, or are, in some sense, entitled to. It is the rendering to every one his due or right; just treatment; requital of desert; merited reward or punishment; that which is due to one's conduct or motives.

Warning! The following paragraph WILL make your head explode! Please wrap your head in duct tape before reading further so as to facilitate the collection and reassembly of all the various pieces. (It helps keep pieces from falling down into your keyboard too!) Thank you!

Justice is universal and absolute and applies equally in all instances and it is not arbitrary but conforms to an objective standard. If no such objective standard exists in regards to any particular individual, including God Himself, then the term is meaningless when applied to that person.

(This is the part where you bring up Euthyphro's Dilemma or some variation of it, which I will respond to when the time comes. ;) )

The primary point being that the term justice carries with it the concept of an objective standard by which something is being compared. Saying someone is just is precisely the same thing as saying that they are righteous. If there is no standard the term is meaningless. The problem with Calvinism is that it uses the term and rejects the concepts which give the term its meaning. Justice flat out cannot be arbitrary any more than flat can be bumpy or spheres can be one dimentional. The Calvinist concept of justice contains an internal contradiction in that it holds that where God is concerned there is no objective standard and that He can therefore do anything at all and remain just. It is very simply irrational.

'And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.' Heb 9:22

'For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit' 1 Pet 3:18

By definition, the recompense of obedience according to Scripture is a gift but the recompense of sin is 'wages' Rom 6:23. One is relative, the other is absolute - Sin must be punished whereas gifts are based on our relation to Christ and His inheritance. If one were predisposed to do so a sinner could demand on judgment day to be punished for his sin according to God's Justice but no one can demand a reward:
The recompense of obedience is a gift? I don't know where you got that idea but it wasn't from Romans chapter 6 (or anywhere else in the Bible for that matter).
Romans 4:4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:​
It is the "recompense" of faith (not obedience) that is a gift according to Romans.

That's all I'll say on that for now as it is a separate topic.

In the Divine context, Justice means that God must render to every man according to his works.
God must?

Are you sure this is what you believe?

This isn't what Calvinism teaches. Calvinism teaches, as Elected4ever has clearly stated, that God can do anything at all and remain just. Do you reject this?

Further, you said, "according to his works". This is another point of contention between Calvinism and Open View theism because, if Calvinism is correct, the things we do are not really our works because those actions were decided by someone other than us long before we ever existed. This is another Stolen Concept fallacy committed by the Calvinists. They want to maintain man's responsibility for his own actions without affording him the ability to do other than what God had predestined for him to do before he ever existed. Responsibility (and thus justice) is predicated upon one's ability to do or do otherwise. Thus, when the Calvinist acknowledges man's responsibility, they "steal" the concept of man's freedom. Some Calvinists are intellectually honest enough to acknowledge the contradiction but refuse to reject the doctrine and instead invent words like "antinomy" and appeal to things like orthodoxy to help make themselves feel better about it. Indeed, many hold the acceptance of antinomy as a point of piety and faith, which of course it is not. Irrational is what it is.

Since all have sinned (which is a violation of God's Infinitely Holy Nature) justice demands capital punishment (spiritual, physical and eternal death). The work of Jesus on the cross through His vicarious (substitutionary) atonement does not change the meaning of the Justice of God - in this case sin is punished through the crucifixion of Christ on our behalf which quenches the infinite fury of God against sin and satisfies the demands of God's Justice. The demands of justice are therefore satisfied through punishment either of the sinner or through the suffering of the God-man.
Agreed.

How is God unjust if He saves no-one?? He will punish sin, He will render to every man according to his works, what a man sows he will also reap (retributive justice), therefore, how is God unjust if he casts every sinner into hell?
Well you went from God saving only one person to God saving none! There's quite a big difference! And depending on the circumstances which brought God to either decision He may or may not be just in either case.

None of these questions even make any sense in a Calvinistic worldview anyway. God doesn't save people because Jesus died, nor does He do so because they believe and call upon the name of Christ. In fact, in the Calvinist economy it is quite the total opposite! People are saved because God said so and Christ died as a result! God decided that people would sin, God also decided that a specific set of people would believe and when they would believe and that Jesus would die for their and only their sin. According to Calvinism all the 'elect' were saved before they were ever lost and they had no option but to become lost and that had no option but to become saved! That's unjust Steven. That's arbitrary, capricious, meaningless, unbiblical and unrighteous - by definition!

Your concept of the Justice of God falls far short of the Scriptural and accepted meaning of the word, remember...
My concept of justice is almost totally identical to yours! The difference being I can meaningfully apply the term to God and you cannot without contradicting yourself.

So which is it? Is God unjust or does the term have no meaning? Given the Calvinist worldview, those are your only two rational options.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
:banana:

I love getting POTD!!!!

Thanks Knight! You made my day! :thumb:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I like it Clete. :up:

Especially this part:
Justice is universal and absolute and applies equally in all instances and it is not arbitrary but conforms to an objective standard. If no such objective standard exists in regards to any particular individual, including God Himself, then the term is meaningless when applied to that person.
Well said. Justice/righteousness can't be relative and still have meaning.

:thumb:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm just certain that the "including God Himself" part had to make more than a few heads go BOOM!

Hey Knight! We need an exploding head smilie!

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
I'm just certain that the "including God Himself" part had to make more than a few heads go BOOM!

Hey Knight! We need an exploding head smilie!

That's the kicker for sure. :)

I second the motion for an exploding head smilie and will contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.