Do you believe there is life on other planets?

• Yes

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.9%

• Total voters

Jackson

To qualify my "yes"...
Who am I to limit God?
I am no one.
Now as to what is life...
Life could be as simple as moss on a rock. Quite possible. Life such as here on earth I just don't know. But who am I.... :think:

noneoftheabove

I don't see why not. If so, I tend to imagine that it is sub-human life. I guess I imagine humans on earth to be special in the universe.

Bick

Life on other planets?

Life on other planets?

HI knight. I answered no because when you say "life" it is obvious you mean life like humans.

Now, we know from the Scriptures there are living beings elsewhere in the universe. Apart from the triune God, there are angels, cherubim, seraphim, demons, and Satan.

These are spirit beings, that is, beings alive through the spirit of God (not Holy Spirit).

A full study of the spirit world is beyond the scope of this link. But I would be happy to discuss it on an abbreviated post.

Bick

me45404

life on other planets

life on other planets

I definitly do not believe there is other intelligent life out there; plant or some animal forms maybe, but not intelligent. The bible teaches that Christ died once for all. I f there were other human or otherwise intelligent life anywhere then Christ would have to go there and die for them too.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
me45404 said:
I definitly do not believe there is other intelligent life out there; plant or some animal forms maybe, but not intelligent. The bible teaches that Christ died once for all. I f there were other human or otherwise intelligent life anywhere then Christ would have to go there and die for them too.

Christ dying once for all refers to His one time sacrifice as opposed to perpetual animal sacrifices. The earth is likely unique with no biblical hint of other planets/peoples needing redemption.

Evee

Possibly there will be life if it isn't already.
God may have designed those planets for future use.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Evee said:
Possibly there will be life if it isn't already.
God may have designed those planets for future use.

It seems possible that after the Millennium, the population will continue to increase and the universe may become populated.

Skeptic

Yes. If there was not, it would be an awful waste of space!

Science currently knows of no reason why life could not have started elsewhere in the universe. All of the building blocks for life on Earth exist throughout the universe.

It obviously started here, in an obscure part of the universe. Most likely under natural circumstances.

Mustard Seed

"This magnificent, far-reaching telescope (Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton, located outside San Jose, California.) is deliberately situated above the smog, so this powerful instrument can better probe the galaxies. So it is with life, and seeing by the lens of faith. If we are to see things more clearly, we too must lift ourselves above the secular smog. Then, in the words of the hymn, we can “in awesome wonder consider all the worlds [God’s] hands have made … [and see God’s] pow’r thru-out the universe displayed” (“How Great Thou Art,” Hymns, number 86). Otherwise, we will be kept from probing Jesus’ universal gospel and from seeing “things as they really are” (Jacob 4:13).

"Nevertheless, by viewing the stretching cosmos, we can humbly contemplate the vastness of divine handiwork. Long before He was born at Bethlehem and became known as Jesus of Nazareth, our Savior was Jehovah. Way back then, under the direction of the Father, Christ was the Lord of the universe, who created worlds without number—of which ours is only one (see Eph. 3:9; Heb. 1:2).

"How many planets are there in the universe with people on them? We don’t know, but we are not alone in the universe! God is not the God of only one planet!

"I testify that Jesus is truly the Lord of the universe, “that by [Christ], and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God” (D&C 76:24).

"Having purchased us (see 1 Cor. 7:23) with His atoning blood (see Acts 20:28) in the great and marvelous Atonement, Jesus thereby became our Lawgiver (see Isa. 33:22). It is by obedience to His laws and His commandments that we may return one day to His presence and that of our Heavenly Father.

"The foregoing cosmic facts should bring us to our knees even now—long before that later Judgment Day, when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ. I testify that Jesus fulfilled these great roles as Creator and Lawgiver out of His desire to immortalize all of Heavenly Father’s children, with the most valiant to live in His Father’s house, which has many mansions.

"When Christ comes again, it will not be to the meekness of the manger; it will be as the recognized Redeemer and the Lord of the universe! Then, in a great solar display, stars will fall from their places in a witnessing way (see D&C 133:49), with much more drama than at His birth, when “the stars in the heavens looked down where he lay” (“Away in a Manger,” Hymns, number 206).

"Yet in the vastness of His creations, the Lord of the universe, who notices the fall of every sparrow, is our personal Savior, of which I give apostolic testimony in the holy name of Jesus Christ, amen!"

--Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Mustard Seed

From one of the last individuals ever having the possibility of discerning, let alone doing such authoritatively, true sources of authority and discernment.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Mustard Seed said:
From one of the last individuals ever having the possibility of discerning, let alone doing such authoritatively, true sources of authority and discernment.

The Bible is the final authority, not a modern religion started by an uncredible Joseph Smith. You are following a man and mere men, not the Son of Man/Son of God.

Mustard Seed

godrulz said:
The Bible is the final authority, not a modern religion started by an uncredible Joseph Smith. You are following a man and mere men, not the Son of Man/Son of God.

God is the final authority. Not some book. And which Bible are you referencing? You are the man following men. I follow the revelation of God, it was on that that Christ said he would build his church.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Mustard Seed said:
God is the final authority. Not some book. And which Bible are you referencing? You are the man following men. I follow the revelation of God, it was on that that Christ said he would build his church.

The Bible is the Word of God. Cults, such as yours, undermine the integrity and authority of the Bible out of ignorance. They then replace it with a human authority like the JW Governing Body or LDS 'prophets'.

God is the final authority, but He has communicated with a Book.

Jesus was a monotheist (Jew). Mormons are polytheists. You have a false god and a false gospel. Case closed (2 Cor. 11:4; Gal. 1:6-10).

Mustard Seed

Which Bible? Which interpretation? Which reading? Which view? "If ye are not one ye are not mine." "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: " How do you determine what is and isn't salvific? Traditionaly Christianity is a house divided. One need only spend time here at TOL to see that. Jesus was forsaken by the father and SEPERATED by death from him. We are as much polytheists as any Christian anywhere is.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Mustard Seed said:
Which Bible? Which interpretation? Which reading? Which view? "If ye are not one ye are not mine." "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: " How do you determine what is and isn't salvific? Traditionaly Christianity is a house divided. One need only spend time here at TOL to see that. Jesus was forsaken by the father and SEPERATED by death from him. We are as much polytheists as any Christian anywhere is.

Smith taught the plurality of gods (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith). The uneducated man mocked the monotheistic, triune understanding of biblical, historical Christianity. You display the same ignorance of our differences.

Most Bibles are close in interpretation, certainly in the essentials. Our house is not divided over essentials. Open Theism, Calvinism, etc. are not salvific issues.

Aimiel

If there is life on other planets, Christ died for them...

Hebrews 10:10
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Mustard Seed

godrulz said:
Smith taught the plurality of gods (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith). The uneducated man mocked the monotheistic, triune understanding of biblical, historical Christianity. You display the same ignorance of our differences.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
13 ¶ Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

Isaiah 29:11-14

Most Bibles are close in interpretation, certainly in the essentials.

How do you know? How does one come to a certain knowledge about what the essentials are?

Our house is not divided over essentials. Open Theism, Calvinism, etc. are not salvific issues.

You can not answer how one is to discern what is salvific. You simply assert what you believe to be salvific. But you cannot give a definative route one can take to reaching such conclusions on their own. You must ever reference the learning of men or simply abide in the carnal security you've found in your perpetual assertions as to what YOU believe to be this and that regarding discernment of salvific and non-salvific.