Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,100 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheologyOnline enters its 15th year online

It seems like just yesterday that I was creating TheologyOnline.com, a place for my fellow theology students and I to discuss class topics from Bob Hill's Derby School of Theology. Since that time TOL has grown into a world famous internet forum. Over the past 15 years TOL has evolved a great deal (micro evolution, not macro). TOL is one of the oldest and best known communities on the net. Yes we have had our ups and downs. TOL has seen the Preterist invasion, the Tweb defection, the gay mountain biker invasion, the attack of internet terrorists (many stayed because they liked TOL better than their own forum), and many, many other wild events. We have seen some interesting users come and go... BillyBob, Sozo, 1Way, ghost, me again, Sozo, Freak, ghost, Beanieboy, Z Man, Sozo, Zakath, wickwoman, did I mention Sozo or ghost?

We have hosted some killer debates such as the Battle Royale series. We helped some folks financially, and many of you helped us financially in return. We bought a goat. We facilitated a marriage. We helped a young man move from Texas to Colorado. We banned a few spammers. We banned a few trouble makers. We banned a few morons that I just didn't like.

We have welcomed literally hundreds of new TOL babies into the world since we started this forum (mostly through ghost and Adam alone ) some of them are now in high school! We have also lost some treasured members.

We have changed some minds on some very important topics. We have turned some away yet we have also brought some into the fold. We have changed a lot over the past 15 years but we have also stayed the same.

Lets celebrate TOL's 15th year online.

- What are some of your favorite TOL memories?
    - What are your hopes and expectations for the next 15 years on TOL?
    - What TOL members have affected your experience on TOL (for good or bad)
    - What has TOL meant to you?

Please feel to add any random thoughts about TOL on it's 15th year anniversary.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Thanks
    Thanked 47,429 Times in 29,249 Posts

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

15 years is a l-o-n-g time for a site, Knight.

Must be doing something right for it to survive that long!

I have loved TOL.
    It has everything from the serious to the silly, and everything in between.

Oh, and I found this in my smiley folder for the "gay" crowd.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

Captain (July 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,217 Times in 4,979 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I liked Sozo, in his 'Mystery' period. We had some fights, but both liked it, and that sort of put the stopper on it.

Knight, I think you are avatar stuck now, so am I, just do not want to change it again.
    So, what?

believe it!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,912 Times in 8,807 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I joined when TOL was overrun with perverts. Looks like many of the perverts wore out their welcome.

Now we are evaded by non-trins. This too will pass.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

Captain (July 11th, 2016),Tambora (July 2nd, 2016)

Supreme Goombah of the Goombahs
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy 15th TOL
    Trupp's Scientific Law:
    God exists

How to falsify:

Method 1 - Die, come back and tell me I'm wrong.
    Method 2 - Go back in time and verify whether Adam and Eve existed or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 748 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    My favorite TOL memory is when lovemeorhateme decided to follow God's will in his life. I don't hear a lot from him anymore except on Face Book. But, he seems to be doing well.

I really hope that TOL can continue to show people that there are many different types of Christians and many differing views. And, it takes all types of people and views to show people the way to live for Christ.

Knight (of course), Turbo, Prisca, Lion, Sozo/ghost/Mystery, cattyfan, Crow, Billybob, Nineveh, wickwoman, Psalmist, Nang, AskMrReligion...I'm sure there are more. But, those are the ones who rise to the top.

TOL has helped to bring a big change in my beliefs. Before my husband passed away, I was pretty much a calvinist. I believed that God controlled every aspect of our lives. Believing that almost caused me to turn my back on God when Steve died. Thanks to my friend (my chosen family) here on TOL, who basically held my hand to help me get through my grief and told me a few basic truths, I stood by Christ.
    They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. -- Isaiah 40:31

Vegetarian - Indian word for lousy hunter

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ebenz47037 View Post
    TOL has helped to bring a big change in my beliefs. Before my husband passed away, I was pretty much a calvinist. I believed that God controlled every aspect of our lives. Believing that almost caused me to turn my back on God when Steve died. Thanks to my friend (my chosen family) here on TOL, who basically held my hand to help me get through my grief and told me a few basic truths, I stood by Christ.
    Thanks Nori! POTD

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are some of your favorite TOL memories?
    It was awesome when we convinced that girl to get married (what was her name again?!). That was one of the best threads ever. (Good job, CRASH!)

What are your hopes and expectations for the next 15 years on TOL?
    More truth smackin' and leading for people to Christ

What TOL members have affected your experience on TOL (for good or bad)
    death2impiety is pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. Knight (& Mrs Knight!), Prisca, Lion, Turbo, ebenz.. Gosh, there are so many people here that I just loved. And a lot of them have helped me in so many ways

What has TOL meant to you?
    When I moved to CO, it made me feel less lonely because I felt like I already knew a bunch of people here, all because of TOL.
    You've called me out of death
    You've called me into life
    And I was under Your wrath
    Now through the cross I'm reconciled

Discount Maternity Clothes | Children's Books | Baby Gear | Coupons | Batman

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximeee View Post
    When I moved to CO, it made me feel less lonely because I felt like I already knew a bunch of people here, all because of TOL.
    Who are you again?

(j/k)

TOL misses ya!

Thanks
    Thanked 22,260 Times in 12,161 Posts

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I haven't been here long...but I like it!

Thanks, Knight and to all who have supported this forum over the years!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steko For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,217 Times in 4,979 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ebenz47037 View Post

Knight (of course), Turbo, Prisca, Lion, Sozo/ghost/Mystery, cattyfan, Crow, Billybob, Nineveh, wickwoman, Psalmist, Nang, AskMrReligion...I'm sure there are more. But, those are the ones who rise to the top.

Similar for me. From a constructionist view: Knight, tight-moderated; Turbo, tight; Prisca, maybe more tight? Lion, tight Sozo, tight; cattyfan, loose; Poly, moderate to tight; Nineveh, tight; Psalmist, moderate, AMR, another school, tight; Nang, tight, then. another, but closer to the first, STP, tight, Chickenman, tight, Koyou, moderate, then there are many who come from a more denominational, such as TH, loose to moderate, Chrys, loose, me again, as I am still much an Episcopalian, moderate, like TH, but tight in the way CM and STP, NICK, John W. are tight, then, some Catholics who are tight. I too have missed some, there are so many.

I do miss cattyfan, she was more OV, but not as tight, yet I liked her for being more open, same with TH, although, I think catty was far more OV, MAD than TH. Also there are some mixed groups, some OSAS, but may be less MAD and not OV and some who are mainly OV, whch seems to me, the first cohesive group and the founders of the feast.

I am not considering the Arians as being a serious group, within theology. They are actually more Jewish, than Christian. I wish they were more accepting of this obvious point!
    So, what?

believe it!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enyart vs Lamerson debate was fun, buying the goat was a cool idea, the Hilston vs Stratnerd debate was great, I remember a bunch of whining about a billboard a long time ago, had something to do with CRASH, all I remember is that it was funny. Our little raid on CF was fun too.

Would be cool to get some good big debates going again. I'd like some of the people here who preach just to hear themselves talk and refuse to see when they've been shot down go away, but ignore works.

For good, there have been a ton, I will definitely miss a bunch, I'll call this the short list of 10 that come to mind first.
    Knight, Clete, Hilston, Bob Enyart, Chickenman, STP, Turbo, acts9-12-out, Town Heretic, One Eyed Jack.
    I'm not going to agree with everything anyone has to say, but these are people here I consider really smart and pay attention to. Make TOL a better place.

For bad, check my ignore list, basically all the anti-theist trolls, and the people who love to preach but won't answer obvious points against their sermon.

Been a fun place to learn and interact. I hope to step up my game and stop letting the fleas get me riled up, like I have been lately.

Very cool job you've done here Knight, you've been very generous to me, thank you, and I'm glad to have got to know you and many others through TOL. One of a kind forum here.
    Marge: "Aren't you going to give him the last rites?"
    Rev. Lovejoy: "That's Catholic, Marge - you might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance."

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered the next round.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Resident Rocket Surgeon rocketman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,245 Posts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Birthday TOL, I hope we are all here for another 15, TOL is the best discussion board on the internet.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,441 Times in 4,930 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Lets celebrate TOL's 15th year online.

I've had a number of them. Of course, the HOF most recently, a few year end notices and POTDs for this or that post, helping others achieve that same notice... But my absolute favorite memories are of people coming to the faith or returning to it, like PB (wherever you are) and TM and zip. I've witnessed a few of these in my time here and any one of them would justify every effort and every minute of time and energy poured into this endeavor by Knight and company, by all of us who care about it and have, I suspect, learned to care more for each other through it.

And that's a very good thing, I think.

As much as I'm happy with things as they stand, I hope it grows so more people can find what I've found here...but grow or not I hope it retains the sense of community that distinguishes it now. It's not perfect, but as neighborhoods go you'd be hard pressed to find a better, more interesting or caring citizenry, squabbles and all.

You could read my friends list to get a sense of how many people here have impacted my thinking, how many people I owe a thank you to. I'm far too indebted and far too fond of too many of you to start a listing for fear I'd nearly have to overlook someone...but it all started with AB (by any other name). When I still wasn't sure if the internet experience was for me, AB anchored me with a subscription that kept me at it until I realized how fortunate I was to have found the place. AMR was an early encouragement and counsel, as were ktoyou and zoo and a few others whose humor and friendship cemented my intention to remain here. Lastly, and still determined to refrain from that longer listing, I have to note Chrys, who was a very fine friend when I was much less warmly received and established in a broader sense, to put it mildly, however he may have come to regret the decision.

But even those whose main occupation has seemed to be an opposition to anything that comes out of my noggin have been a blessing to me during my time here, sharpening my understanding of both my position and their contrary, infinitely less rational position ()...and even, on occasion, knocking a few of the rough edges off my numerous character defects. So good on you even if you weren't aiming at it.

It's been a teacher to me. A source of comfort in worries and sorrows and a friend to share glad tidings with...an able companion to reflect and challenge and laugh with--which in the scheme of things makes it and you a fairly important deal.

It beats the polka. Is less expensive than a motorboat. May have to be reclassified as an addictive substance. Can eat its weight in canned corn. Once shot a man in its pajamas. Is a thing to delight in, struggle with and carry over.

What say you?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,393 Times in 10,254 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We have changed some minds on some very important topics. We have turned some away yet we have also brought some into the fold.
    Like me!

Schooling elohiym back in '04. My conversion to OV, MAD and theonomy. Remember when I didn't like Bob?

More growth, new members that are enjoyable to have around, and smarter opposition.

Too many to list.

Sozo [Mystery, Door, ghost, Outlaw, etc.], Turbo, Adam, Bob Enyart, Nori, Poly and BillyBob, as a start. And, of course, you Knight. And Jefferson, too. If not for Knight there would be no TOL and if not for Jeff I would never have joined. And without TOL I'd still be a Covenant Theologian [Acts 2 dispensationalist], Charismatic/Pentecostal and an Arminian.

Because of TOL I now know grace and the gospel has become a wonderful thing that I want all to know, and the Scriptures have become something for which I truly hunger.

Isn't it time for a new look?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximeee View Post
    (& Mrs Knight!)
    Blessedx6

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Thread Information