Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TheologyOnline enters its 15th year online

Over 1500 post club Frank Ernest's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to Knight on the 15th anniversary of ToL!

Psalm 144

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TOL has made a serious impact on my intellectual development. From theology to politics and cigars to guns, I've been able to flesh out (and sometimes change) my ideas with others who are also fleshing out their ideas in this most amazing forum for doing just that. The result has not been a "melting pot" (which would be undesirable anyway), but an iron-sharpens-iron/refining/learning/growing experience of a lifetime.

You can't get this type of experience at school, where most are apathetic and/or unwilling to engage in thoughtful debate.

You can't get this type of experience at home, where such debate is frowned upon.

You can't get this type of experience at work, where we are too busy to learn and too worried about stepping on the wrong people's toes.

You can only get this type of experience at a place like TOL, where the members are semi-anonymous, yet interested in discussing the same topics you are--where debate is encouraged, and spirited debate even rewarded--and where we can come and go as we please (can't do this at work, home, or school).

Congratulations, TOL, for making it all possible.

BANNED
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,769 Times in 5,219 Posts

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    - What are some of your favorite TOL memories?

First coming onto the site as red77 and wondering what the heck I'd joined...

A far cry from the far too sedate and debate stifling forum I'd since been on even if a thick skin and a kevlar vest was required in short order, though far more satisfying and also enlightening overall. Even though I was a bit of a bull in a cheese and crockery shop back in 2006 and used far too many "................."

Besides that the making of several friends of which any list can't fully serve justice but in short order zoo, PB, (really hope you're ok dude) TH, SoJ, Rusha, TM, Sela, ragtagblues, Quincy, kmo, Fellow Servant to name but few.

I'm not sure why I consider this a fond memory as such as I was not very amused at all at the time, but the occasion as red77 where ye good ole site owner informed me I was 'one of the biggest knobs to ever walk into TOL' strikes me as funny nowadays - partly because there was an element of truth in it looking back in retrospect.... Ok, there still is now before some wag deigns to 'chime in'.....

- What are your hopes and expectations for the next 15 years on TOL?
    That it continues to grow and improve as I consider it has since joining. For all the self proclaimed bias it's a constructive forum for debate and a respect for the rules allows all to have their say.

- What TOL members have affected your experience on TOL (for good or bad)
    Well I'd sooner focus on the positive than negative and I still recall the day when a walking dictionary stumbled into this place. For some reason his verbal wit and commentary impressed me enough to turn him "green". Who could have known he would go onto become such a gigantic pain in the pillar of the community he is today? Still, we all make mistakes () and there's no denying that Mr TH has caused me to challenge and address issues doing debates that few others have on any forum.

zoo for his infectious understated facetious wit, compassion and creativity, TM for her spirit and empathy, Rusha for her bluntness and honesty, ragtag for the same, Logos X for being an initial inspiration here in regards to belief. SoJ warrants a special mention for certain issues we've both shared a mutual experience with, and for once that's not a mutual lack of humoUr....It's a list I could add to all day long.
    EDIT: VC also deserves mention as despite our political differences he's a fine fellow and wears a cowboy hat!

- What has TOL meant to you?
    A lot. Initially it was just some forum to me, a place to generally opine and escape from some painful personal issues. As time has progressed and the forum has grown and progressed I hope I have too. If I have it's in no small part that this place has contributed to such and hopefully I repay that even if in a small measure.

Please feel to add any random thoughts about TOL on it's 15th year anniversary.
    More threads about aardvarks?

Happy 15th TOL.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Knight,
    I wish to congratulate you on the great site you have made. I have spent menu hours of enjoyment on TOL and I have learned a lot about the folks who share their God with others.
    I want to thank you again for all that you and your staff do to keep it going.
    God bless you my friend
    Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knight,
    Congratulations on your 15th anniversary. I've enjoyed many hours night and day posting comments to fellow believers and non-believers. Thanks for providing a forum for expressing our ideas.

I love it when I find someone like me who is really seeking to know our LORD better. I have met a number of fellow soul-mates here, but won't list them - 'cause I might leave someone out.

For the next several years ... I'm hoping that enough new people join the forum, so that I won't wear out the old-timers with my same repeated favorite topics so much.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Lets celebrate TOL's 15th year online.
    Wow. I've been a member here for over 9 years. It's been an fun ride.

- Enyart vs. Zakath Battle Royale
    - lovemeorhateme's conversion
    - Poly's "this is Freak arguing about a tree" post (still makes me laugh)

I'm sure there are tons more.
    My consistent participation, and the return of Turbo.
    Knight & Turbo: I'm now an Open Theist, and both of them have talked to me outside of TOL in some low points of my life.
    Lucky: In TOL, and outside of TOL, I don't know that I respect anybody more than I do him.
    Town Heretic: Makes me feel dumb. I read his posts for humility.
    MaryContrary: Gave me some great advice about the female gender. I have an amazing, ridiculously pretty girlfriend now. Can't help but give her some credit for it.
    fool: The only atheist I've wanted to hang out with.
    I've been posting here since I was in my teens, and now I'm nearing 30. During my early years, I was probably somebody that Knight would rather have banned that dealt with. TOL has challenged me intellectually over and over again. It has made me a better thinker, and made me learn to communicate those thoughts. I owe this site a lot.

Thanks to the moderators for their patience with me in years past. I hope my current and future participation helps to make up for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,966 Times in 6,976 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are some of your favorite TOL memories?
    Reading posts from Clete, Sozo, StP and others.
    What are your hopes and expectations for the next 15 years on TOL?
    That two of them come back.

What TOL members have affected your experience on TOL (for good or bad)
    I wouldn't call the bad, bad. It has sharpened the sword having perverts run their mouth, via a keyboard. And often they are stupid and good for a laugh.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Tambora (July 2nd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,100 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 5020 View Post
    I'm sure there are tons more.
    My consistent participation, and the return of Turbo.
    Knight & Turbo: I'm now an Open Theist, and both of them have talked to me outside of TOL in some low points of my life.
    Lucky: In TOL, and outside of TOL, I don't know that I respect anybody more than I do him.
    Town Heretic: Makes me feel dumb. I read his posts for humility.
    MaryContrary: Gave me some great advice about the female gender. I have an amazing, ridiculously pretty girlfriend now. Can't help but give her some credit for it.
    fool: The only atheist I've wanted to hang out with.
    I've been posting here since I was in my teens, and now I'm nearing 30. During my early years, I was probably somebody that Knight would rather have banned that dealt with. TOL has challenged me intellectually over and over again. It has made me a better thinker, and made me learn to communicate those thoughts. I owe this site a lot.

Thanks to the moderators for their patience with me in years past. I hope my current and future participation helps to make up for it.
    Great stuff! Thanks fiddy! POTD
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,013 Times in 9,144 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximeee View Post
    It was awesome when we convinced that girl to get married (what was her name again?!). That was one of the best threads ever. (Good job, CRASH!)
    Minerva?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Captain (July 11th, 2016),Tambora (July 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang! Fifteen years!

You got a kid picked out to turn this thing over to when you go to graze?

old people

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Minerva?
    Yes! Thanks Stripe
    You've called me out of death
    You've called me into life
    And I was under Your wrath
    Now through the cross I'm reconciled

Discount Maternity Clothes | Children's Books | Baby Gear | Coupons | Batman

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like just yesterday that I was creating TheologyOnline.com, a place for my fellow theology students and I to discuss class topics from Bob Hill's Derby School of Theology. Since that time TOL has grown into a world famous internet forum. Over the past 15 years TOL has evolved a great deal (micro evolution, not macro). TOL is one of the oldest and best known communities on the net. Yes we have had our ups and downs. TOL has seen the Preterist invasion, the Tweb defection, the gay mountain biker invasion, the attack of internet terrorists (many stayed because they liked TOL better than their own forum), and many, many other wild events. We have seen some interesting users come and go... BillyBob, Sozo, 1Way, ghost, me again, Sozo, Freak, ghost, Beanieboy, Z Man, Sozo, Zakath, wickwoman, did I mention Sozo or ghost?

We have hosted some killer debates such as the Battle Royale series. We helped some folks financially, and many of you helped us financially in return. We bought a goat. We facilitated a marriage. We helped a young man move from Texas to Colorado. We banned a few spammers. We banned a few trouble makers. We banned a few morons that I just didn't like.

We have welcomed literally hundreds of new TOL babies into the world since we started this forum (mostly through ghost and Adam alone ) some of them are now in high school! We have also lost some treasured members.

We have changed some minds on some very important topics. We have turned some away yet we have also brought some into the fold. We have changed a lot over the past 15 years but we have also stayed the same.

What are some of my favorite TOL memories? - Being able to deliver what I have to say, even though it may not be mainstream Christianity or popular Christianity.

What are my hopes and expectations for the next 15 years on TOL? - It is that what I perceive to be Truth will grown to increasing acceptance by some more people on this forum or my perception of Truth will be shown to be wrong.

What TOL members have affected my experience on TOL (for good or bad)? - Some have engaged me. A few have issued compliments. Yet I perceive that I remain a lone voice in wilderness.

What has TOL meant to me? - It is a good and a God chosen forum where I can deliver Truth, which is supported by KJV N.T. revelations and which is at serious variance with what passes passes for Christianity.

I love Truth and at the end of the day I can deliver only Truth (as supported by KJV N.T. revelations. This forum allows me to do that without towing any lines. Here I can be loyal to myself and the Spirit of Truth/Spirit of Jesus.

Knight,

Congratulations on the 15 anniversary of your forum, may it always prevail under your traditional stewardship .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,174 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

remember the rep wars
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,912 Times in 8,807 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think perhaps when Warren Clark whined his way off the site. I find the whining liberals humorous when their hypocrisy come popping out.
    For it to at least triple in size. I would like to see some people won over.
    For good: Chickenman, Nick M, VegasCowboy, Rocketman, ebenz, Random, Yorzhik, Clete, S0Z0, CRASH, Psalmist, Delmar, chatmaggot, MrDeets, steko, Angel4Truth, Bob Enyart, Knight, King Cobra, DFT_Dave, MaryContrary, Lighthouse, GuySmiley and Vaquero45.
    For bad, P66, waterbear, Uberpod1
    It is the first website that I have seen where I can speak my mind without getting squished.

Keep up the good work. TOL draws a lot of members and keeps growing because of how it is managed. It isn't too lax, but free enough that anyone can enjoy it.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

Captain (July 11th, 2016),Tambora (July 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battle Royales, lovemeorhateme conversion, Enyart v Lamerson, gay mountain biker invasion, Minerva's wedding, CRASH's billboard, buying a goat, rep rampage! Specific people who I think are worth paying to read: Bob Enyart, Clete, Turbo, Hilston, Knight, Town Heretic. Then there's the people who are just good to know people, I can't list them all.

Another 15 years of greatness.

I already listed them but I'll do it again. I have a short list of people who I find particularly brilliant and I'd pay admission to read their posts: Bob Enyart, Clete, Hilston, Turbo, Knight, Town Heretic. I wish most of this list was still active, for my own selfish entertainment

I came here as a waivering charismatic and found out logic and God really do go together! I no longer feel like I have to shrug and just say that "God works in mysterious ways" when some topics come up. In fact, I now know that the only logical world view is the Christian world view. Thanks TOL.
    "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

Thread Information