Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

vegascowboy

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: Let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

vegascowboy: I live in Las Vegas and I am, in many ways, a cowboy. I do not herd cattle. There is more to being a cowboy than this, however. It's about morals and integrity, duty to God, country, family, and being true to one’s self. I try to live by the Lone Ranger’s creed:

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That 'This government, of the people, by the people and for the people' shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later... somewhere...somehow... we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."

How did you find TOL?

Like so many before me, I typed “theology” into Google’s search box.

How would you rank it among other forums you have participated in?

I do not really participate on other forums, so I cannot make a comparison in that regard. I will say, however, that I have probably enjoyed my time in TOL Town more than just about everything I’ve spent any real amount of time doing online.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

www.theologyonline.com (of course!), www.mlb.com (I love baseball…most folks probably don’t realize that about me; I don’t often speak of it on here), www.faa.gov (for work), www.nra.org.

Heretic: The cowboy figures prominently in your avatar selection as well as your username. Do you have a particular affinity for the old west?

Very much so. I have a great love for what is often referred to as The Old West. I enjoy reading histories of the era's people and places, weapons and commerce. I read a lot of fiction as well about that time period. I grew up with horses, and I greatly miss being around them. I do not have the pleasure of raising horses in my present situation, but I hope to again someday. Las Vegas seems far removed from the Old West with its glitz and glamour, but there is still a strong cowboy flavor here when you get outside of town a ways.

If you had a million dollars what would you use it for?

“Well, I’d take what I needed and treat me friends with the rest!” (Quote from Waking Ned Devine.) In all honesty, I’d probably be boring and conservative with the money. I would build a nice, quiet ranch in Montana or Alaska, buy a few quarter horses, some chickens, a cow or two, and plant a big vegetable garden. I would be self-sufficient...not because I’m some LET’S ALL GO GREEN! kind of fellow, but because I truly get joy out of working the land and building things.

If you could invent one thing what would it be?

A dog that wouldn’t pee on my rug. Never get a Husky unless you want a dog that’s incredibly stubborn and will only obey when it wants to obey and not a second sooner.

If you could cure one disease, which one do you choose?

It would be easy to say that I’d cure the disease that took by wife from me, and that wouldn’t be a bad one to choose, but I would probably go with one that effects so many more lives…like cancer.

What color is your room?

Off brown. Whatever that means. My favorite color is orange, but I don’t particularly want an orange room.

Do you have a favorite brand for things like cars, clothing or electronics?

My favorite car brand is Old Beat-up Truck. My favorite clothing brand is whatever is tough and reliable like Wrangler (although I have to dress up for work). I am not big into electronics. I use them when necessary.

How would you describe your political views?

Ultra conservative.

You list as a Christian. For the new folk who may not be aware of you story of faith, could you share with us how you come to have a relationship with Christ?

Christ came to me as a boy. I hate to keep using horse references, but my life’s pivotal moments often centered around riding. I was deer hunting on horseback with my father and grandfather on our property. I must have been all of 10 or 11 years of age. It was so still and quiet. I think the only sounds were the horses walking through the sage and the aspen leaves making their peculiar whispering sound in the breeze. We were riding slowly and my mind was wandering. For some reason, I began to think about a Bible verse my grandmother had read to me some time before.

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

I think I must have been hungry. I doubt that I fully understand what Jesus was saying, but one thought led to another, and I suddenly began to wonder about God and my relationship with Him. I have never had any formal theological training (as anyone who has ever read my posts can attest!), and have instead relied on reading the Bible and wrapping my mind around God’s word. My walk with Him isn’t over, although I will say that I know I am saved and I walk with Him in grace.

Romans 14:5 says “…Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.” This has ever been my goal.

You have shown us you believe in co-existing with the different faiths and have often displayed understanding for other people who believe differently than yourself. Could you share some of your philosophy on how to approach other people?

I am simply not a contrary person. I enjoy interactions and dialogue. I think relationships are great investments. I can get steamed, but it generally only happens when someone presses me about something that I refuse to compromise...my thoughts on abortion, for example, or gun rights.

I approach everyone as if they are going to be my closest buddy once I get to know them. I treat them that way unless they give me cause to do otherwise. Even those with whom I disagree are, for the most part, deserving of respect. There is always an opportunity to share with them the truth that God has given.

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

I would have to say my toughest challenge was putting the day that my wife died behind me. I’m still not over it, and in some ways, I doubt I ever will be. I go on for my children. They need a father, and I love them.

What was the happiest moment of your life?

Cliché or not, my happiest two moments were when my children were born.

What would we all be surprised to find out about you?

I enjoy gardening. I have quite a green thumb, and I enjoy growing everything from trees and flowers to fruits and vegetables. I like working with plants indoors as well as outdoors. Love getting good, clean soil under my fingernails.

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

“Be still, and know that I am God.” God loves you. He knows you inside and out. Don’t forsake Him. Let Him into your life, and let Him lift you up.

Thanks for throwing in with us, VC, here and in the larger forum.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

1. What is your favorite word?

Sassafras! (For those who care, Sassafras is a genus of three extant and one extinct species of deciduous trees in the family Lauraceae.)

2. What is your least favorite word?

But. Especially when my children say it to me. “Please go clean your room.” “But…” “It’s time for supper.” “But…” “You need to start your homework.” “But…”

3. What sound or noise do you love?

I love the sound of wood being chopped with an ax in a forest, the sound of a horse galloping, the report of a firearm, and the sound of a summer thunderstorm.

4. What sound or noise do you hate?

I cannot abide the sound of folks eating and drinking. It is difficult for me to eat around other people who are eating when it is quiet otherwise.

5. What's the last thing that made you smile?

One of my coworkers handed me a paper that said, “There are few of life’s problems that cannot be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile.”

6. Describe yourself in three words.

Father. Patriot. Disciple.

7. If you were only allowed to retain two possessions what would they be?

My Bible and my Winchester .30-30.

8. Is it better to be loved or respected.

Respect is more important.

9. What is the proudest accomplishment of your life?

The day I got my helicopter pilot’s license. Ok, this one hasn’t happened yet, but that will be my proudest accomplishment when it does happen.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?

This is difficult for me. I am normally a very content fellow. Sure, things go wrong and I have bad days, but I don’t know that I’d change that. Let’s say I’m a 7 or an 8.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,588 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Psalmist

The Interview:
    Spoiler

Psalmist/Thomas: I owe my screen name inspiration to Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892, Spurgeon was often called "The Prince of Preachers," Spurgeon did a commentary on all the chapters of the Book of Psalms, a task that took him 20 years, when I got my 3 volume set in 1974 I was hooked. So with an ongoing study of the Book of Psalms and reading daily devotionals "Psalmist" seemed to be the best choice. Another screen name I thought of was Thomas the Psalmist but it was too long.

How did you find TOL?

I was frequenting an automobile racing forum (Big West Racing) and one of it’s forum members suggested that I take a look at TOL I took his suggestion, and when I found TOL I looked and I was sold. TOL was for me.

TOL is first rate. I've been a part of others but they were too biased, therefore I exited them. TOL is a fair, honest and open forum.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

TOL, Charles Spurgeon Archives, Nursing Home Ministries, a couple hymnal sites, Big West Racing, Auto Racing Memories, Moody Bible Institute, Coffin Talk a forum for those who are or who have been in the funeral service profession.

Andrew/Heretic: You've been public with your health struggles during your time here. Have those shaped or altered your Christian walk and what impact have they had on your overall outlook and faith?

The Lord has let my health struggles and conditions be one of my teachers and it has taught me to accept help willingly and to let go of my "I can handle it myself" attitude. It has given a great truth to two passages of scripture, 2 Corinthians 12;9 and Hebrews 13:5; it has let be more attentive to who suffer similar and other maladies, to help and comfort them as best I can. As for the impact, I can with great resolve and conviction say that God is faithful and His promises are yes and amen! I'm more convinced than ever that though I may be brought low yet I can trust Jesus implicitly, because He is the way, the truth and the life.

I would be sure Mrs Psalmist was set, leave something to children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, make donation to TOL, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's foundations, the National Federation of the Blind, and start a trust fund for the Nursing Home Ministry chaplain's. Most of our NHM Chaplain's are retired and could use some help from time to time.

There have so many things already invented that make daily life and driving easy, so I'll have to go with an invention idea organizer that shows what idea was thought of and the date, that way we will not forget what we have already thought about inventing and try to reinvent something from the past that has already been invented. You know I imagine the is an app for that, but still I suppose there is always room for improvement with some inventions.

While I can agree with others who stated it would be cancer, I would also consider respiratory illnesses, for something that is not a disease my choice would be ignorance, then people would know the truth and not be in darkness about a lot of things. But I have to pick Alzheimer's and Parkinson's I think they are at times to be connected.

What color is your room?

Light mauve with a white ceiling.

Chrysler T and C and for me that's the best thing going, clothing nothing pricey, electronics my daughter and grand kids help me with that.

Politics is not my long suit, but it is moderate, conservative. I abhor the political dishonesty.

You list as a Christian. For the new folk who may not be aware of you story of faith, could you share with us how you come to have a relationship with Christ?

I grew up in a home where spiritual matters were divided. Dad was a construction engineer and a Mason. Mom was a homemaker and a very godly full gospel Christian lady. Mom was the greater influence in my and my brothers life, we moved a round a lot and mom would find a church was evangelical in scope and full gospel in influence. After dad died in 1956, in the summer of 1957, I made a half hearted profession of faith and wandered around in a spiritual wilderness until 1974, when in 1974 at a revival meeting that Mrs Psalmist and I were attending the evangelist touched on Revelation 3:20. And it was then I realized (maybe like epiphany, a sudden realization) that I was using keyhole prayers and pushing pennies under the door to keep Jesus quiet. I (we) went forward when the clarion call was sounded for Salvation according to John 14:6 and did our first works over with a heart of true repentance and confession of faith according to Romans 10:8-13, I wouldn‘t have it any other way, no turning back. We might grow up in church that doesn't count because God does not have any grandchildren.

You have shown us you believe in co-existing with the different faiths and have often displayed understanding for other people who believe differently than yourself. Could you share some of your philosophy on how to approach other people?

Listening is a big part of understanding the different faith of others; it also provides the opportunity to ready as we are instructed about the hope that is within us. I have always believed that John 14:6 and Romans 10:8-13 is my first approach when others say that all pathways lead to salvation. Being a chaplain I deal with a vast number of different denominations and cultures, so it is with love and understanding, patience and kindness that causes those of different faith to open up. And what an opportunity to present the true and real authentic love of Jesus. There are several scriptural settings that have also helped me have loving and peaceable approach to others, like the woman at the well; what a beautiful story of two very different people and how they approached each other; there is the parable of the Good Samaritan, and who could forget how Jesus dealt with Nicodemus and blind Bartimaeus? If we learn to approach others as Jesus did we cannot go wrong, and if and when it is necessary to correct, as Paul wrote and instructed to convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching, note longsuffering. You know do unto others, and not who is my neighbor but I am a neighbor to who?

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

The greatest test is three summed up in one, the death of two children, and the near death of Mrs Psalmist. Seeing death take place and not blaming God or anyone else, and then watching over one who is near death and see God intervene, that gave me a look at things that really matter, and sure isn’t the stuff, it is the loves of our lives and what we do to help and how we serve others.

Our almost 50 years of marriage? The birth of our children and our 10 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren? The happiest moment was when Mrs Psalmist came of the ventilator after 11 days (the Dr's didn’t think that would happen) and 5 days later take her home from the hospital.

That I had only one girl friend and I she married me, she married me of all men. She's still the one. What a doll.

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

This is a twofer, there is no substitute for the truth, and forgiveness great amounts of love is a real healing balm.

Thank you for participating. I know everyone is as happy to have you in this listing and to get to know more about you as I am.

Oh and thanks for asking, I appreciate that. Sometimes it is good to air out the linens.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Foregive/en/ing/ness, a word(s) with a lot of power.

Idiot and that's right up there with stupid.

A gentle breeze through wind chimes.

Sccrrreeeeccccchhhhhhh…Bang…Crunch…then sudden silence.

The latest photo of our great granddaughter Olivia Hannah.

Compassionate. Understanding. Loving.

7. If you were only allowed to retain only two possessions what would they be?

My loose leaf wide margin Bible and a ball point pen with a never ending ink supply.

To be loved, if one is loved I believe they are respected as well.

If single out one thing it has to be Stuart Kuick. Stuart lived at the retirement center where I'm a chaplain. When Stuart (a veteran who had no family) passed away his final disposition was a direct burial with no graveside service at the Houston National Cemetery. With some good detective work I found the funeral home who had charge of Stuart's arrangements. I called them and asked if Stuart was going to have a graveside service. The funeral director said no and I said, "Now he is." The funeral director said there would be no honor guard available. I said, "But you can make it happen," knowing that the funeral director could do that and he seemed real happy. It was noted however that Stuart's funeral arrangements were pre-paid. I received a phone call from the funeral director the next day he said everything was set for Stuart to have a proper graveside service, even the honor guard; two days later we had a graveside service for Stuart Kuick. ~ I was able to speak kindly of Stuart and tell bits and pieces of his life, and then with urgency I spoke of the peace that Stuart had and if we want that kind of peace it comes only by knowing Jesus as Savior and Lord. I (we) left the national cemetery that day knowing that we honored God speaking of His love and compassion, with kind eulogy of Stuart's life and closed with explaining that there is only one way to have real peace with God, and then let Spirit and Word of God do the rest. That was a great hallmark of a day.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?[/QUOTE]

Maybe easing of 4 and approaching 5, cause the Lord is still working on me. I'm like an old lump of coal that will be a diamond someday.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Maximeee

The Interview:
    Spoiler

Maximeee: It's my first name with 2 extra e's added on.

How did you find TOL?

Word of mouth.. After I became a Christian, the person who led me to Christ told me about TOL, as did death2impiety (my now hubby ).

It's totally unique. I like that it's biased and I am always challenged here.

TOL, a Christian mom's forum that I mod on, Facebook, Dutch news websites and bloglines.com

Andrew/Heretic: Your last pregnancy was something of a special TOL event. What's been the best part of motherhood so far and what about it, if anything, caught you completely by surprise?

I think the best part is seeing this little person grow & develop. Every stage is so much fun, but I love this age (3.5). Lili says the funniest things now, she has us cracking up daily.

What caught me by surprise is how much you love your kids. It's a love that is completely different from any other kind of love. Forgiveness also seems to come much faster towards kids. It's probably because they're so darn cute

Buy a house, invest the rest.

A washer & dryer that would sort, wash, dry, fold & put the laundry away.

Cancer.

What color is your room?

White.

I love my Toyota, I love my Coach bags & I love my Apple products

Very conservative.

I was searching for answers and what better place to look than Google? I came across somebody's blog and even though she was very outspoken (and somewhat arrogant, too!), I decided to email her. We had a ton of conversations via email and eventually she led me to Christ.

Could you share some of your philosophy on how you approach other people?

I used to be way more abrasive, but I think motherhood and becoming more mature has lessened that. I've also been very blessed with some amazing people around me who have influenced me. I try to keep this quote in the back of my mind, "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." But I still have a low tolerance for extreme stupidity

Moving across the world and sticking to my decision to do so. It was hard, I was homesick (and still am somewhat at times) and I wanted nothing more than to run home to mommy. I stuck it out, we figured it out together and here I am. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

My wedding day & the birth of my daughter

I love to read. I like to read Christian books geared towards women, but I really like books like Twilight & the Hunger Games, because it's mindless reading and allows me to relax. (Go ahead, make fun of my love for sparkly vampires! )

Be patient with people. Not everybody comes to the same conclusions at the same time. Have grace. Be gentle when you can.

Thank you for joining in this project. I know I can speak for all the old guard in congratulating you on your newest adventure and in welcoming you back for as long as you can be.

My pleasure!

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Grace.

I don't think I have one. Though "moist" creeps me out.

Music.

Nails on a chalkboard.

A funny comment from Lili.

Silly, high strung (unfortunately), scatter brained.

My iPhone & my Kindle.

Loved.

Becoming a mother.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?

Lots of work left

Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

MrRadish

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: Hey, buddy how are you doing?

Radish: Is this the first question?

I'm very well, thank you. Stressed but excited to be doing important things (moving out and so on) for the first time in a few months.

So, MrRadish, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

It's actually quite simple - I've always liked funny-sounding words. Words like "piglet", and "squelch" and "trumpet" and "discombobulate". For me "radish" is one of these. It's one of those words you can really relish saying out loud.

I first started using the 'Radish' theme when a friend of mine who's a big Star Wars fan started his own general chat forum and wanted me to join, so I called myself 'The Sinister Darth Radish'. MrRadish seemed to be a more respectable form of the same. If I were to call myself something else it'd probably be 'Lord Shobley', after a village near where I live. Shobley's another one of those satisfying words, you see.

As resident swashbuckler and pirateer extraordinaire, can you share with us why you love the pirate life so much?

The hats.

Admittedly I do also like the carefree exuberance of romanticised swashbuckling; the abandon with which each moment is lived to the full; the heady blend of freedom and honour, self-expression and vanity, individualism and companionship; the sense that the world is full of discovery and adventure if only one reaches out and seizes the day.

But mainly the hats. Oh, and the rum. I like rum.

How did you find TOL?

I'd just started Sixth Form (that's the first non-mandatory part of education and takes place between the ages of sixteen and eighteen for all the non-Brits out there) and I'd decided not to continue Religious Studies, which I'd done at GCSE and was top of my class for. Essentially, I missed the religious debates, and there were a few questions I still had that my teachers hadn't been able to answer. So I googled for theology forums, and thought that 'Theology Online' looked like a nice, neutral place to talk over one's ideas, unlike Christianforums.com or Richarddawkins.net which I worried would be too biased and confrontational.

The irony is glorious. I like it here, though.

I'm not that big on forums, but I did join a couple of other theology forums when I was fed up of bickering on TOL and... well, the fact I'm back says it all. At least the bickering on TOL is at least vaguely related to people's religion and politics.

I won't deny that there are times when I find TOL a bit frustrating, but it's also incredibly vibrant with a very genuine sense of community and some extraordinarily knowledgeable, interesting and funny members.

Aside from TOL, Youtube and Facebook ('cos I'm a young sprog and that's how the youths keep in touch these days. ) it's mainly a mixture of recipe pages and writing/theatre opportunities sites. Cooking and drama are my two big hobbies at the moment.

And, and you'd also find the Dwarf Fortress Wiki. If anybody knows what I mean by that, message me.

Tough question. In principle, I'd want to put it toward something promoting collective ownership and ethical alternatives to a traditional capitalist business model - perhaps something to do with workers' co-operatives or Creative Commons on the internet. I think that'd potentially be more useful in the long run than throwing it at a charity that only eases the problems caused by a broken system.

In practice I'd probably make a retirement fund for my mum, buy a flat in London, see if I could get one of my plays put on, and use the rest to save the Youth Theatre I was a member of that's now struggling because of arts budget cuts.

Far too much could go wrong with time travel, and a machine for making everyone feel satisfied and happy brings to mind horrible images of mass brainwashing, so I think I'll go with an eco-friendly teleporter. Sure, it'd put millions of people out of a job and destroy entire economies that had relied on the transportation industry to survive, but the possibilities it'd create would be mind-boggling and society's got a wonderful tendency to pick itself up and dust itself off after a breakthrough like that.

AIDS or cancer would be the obvious ones. Or ischaemic heart diseases, which are apparently the biggest killer of people worldwide. Aside from those - Alzheimer's, possibly? It can render dark and miserable the time when people should be appreciating life the most.

What color is your room?

The top half is a pale-blue with faint silver stars, and the bottom half is a sort of greyish lilac, seperated by a band of violet and white. I designed it to be reminiscent of a landscape in the dawn light, just before sunrise.

Not really one for brand loyalty and I'm quite thrifty most of the time - many of my clothes come from charity shops and as far as other things go I'll usually buy whatever's cheap and bearable!

I honestly can't think of a single product for which I'd insist on a particular brand.

Marx-influenced socialism, really. I try not to use the term 'communist' because of the associations it's picked up as a result of Leninism, Maoism, Stalinism etc. I would certainly like to learn more about economics, but the principles behind Marxism and socialist anarchism seem far more humane than those in capitalism, especially the free-market libertarian variety that's popular among fans of Ayn Rand.

You list as a Agnostic. Many believe this to be the most rational position, other's question it. What does being agnostic mean to you?

To me it basically means accepting my limitations. I used to argue that it was the most rational position - indeed the only rational position - and that nobody could possibly know whether or not there's some form of metaphysical entity watching over us or not. Then Clete pointed out one day that I had no way of knowing that, and that even the veracity of logic itself is based on a presupposition, and I reevaluated my position to be even more agnostic. Now all I can say is that as it stands, I can't consciously see any way or reason for me to form an opinion about the matter, but I accept that other people think they do know and they might be right.

It sounds like quite a petty distinction, but it's actually very important to me in how I deal with people day-to-day. Ultimately, we all work according to unprovable assumptions, often without even realising it, and I'm convinced this is where an awful lot of arguments and misunderstandings come from. It happens in language, too. The same words can have very different connotations to different people.

It's also good to always remember that you might be completely wrong about something. Going into a discussion convinced that you've got all the answers tends to result in a frustrating experience for everyone.

You joined almost 5 years ago, MrRadish. As one of the few young people who have survived on here, what advice could you give to the newer young members?

Don't go in too full of yourself or convinced that you're going to put the world to rights, because the chances are that most of the stuff you say has already been discussed quite a lot and both sides will now be thoroughly entrenched in their position.

At the same time, don't feel too intimidated by the older and apparently more knowledgeable members. Don't feel stupid if someone catches you in a rhetorical trap. Bear in mind that many arguments are won not through reason but articulacy, and people who've been doing this for years have obviously had a lot more practice!

Oh, and don't use a TOL argument in real life unless you actually understand it.

I've actually led quite a charmed life, all in all. There have been things which have been unpleasant in themselves - a couple of nasty accidents, my father dying when I was five, most of my immediate family having suffered from depression or long-term health issues - but they've tended to occur in a way where the effect on me's actually been quite minimal or at least easy to deal with, and in many other regards I get an awful lot of good luck.

I suppose one of my biggest challenges was the process of learning how not to feel for others when there's no point in doing so. I was a fairly sensitive child who really hated conflict and anger, but was part of a class that was involved what was effectively an all-out war with the staff of the school (or so it felt at the time). Every day I saw teachers getting angry and actively upset as they tried to control the pupils, and pupils being emotionally intimidated as they were punished, and overall an enormous and destructive waste of everyone's time and energy. And I was vicariously experiencing all of it. So in order to avoid going totally haywire I had to learn that although it's good to help out where you can, other people's feelings are their own responsibility, and there's nothing to be gained shouldering the phantom of other's burden and doubling the suffering overall.

I'm happy a lot of the time and in a lot of different ways! Being on stage and doing a good job of it always brings a rather special ecstasy with it - getting a laugh and a spontaneous round of applause for my single, rather boring line in Shakespeare play I was once in is a moment I'll always remember - and I'm even now discovering the moments of profound contentment that arise from being emotionally involved with somebody special. I think many of my happiest moments, however, have been as ephemeral as they have been exuberant: laughing and having fun with friends I really care about, talking late into the night about life and the universe with my family, even stepping out of my door on a summer's day and feeling like the world is laid out in front of me waiting to be explored and enjoyed.

It was also nice when the neighbour's dog finally stopped barking last night.

I'm actually capable of writing one-sentence responses.

Only joking! I'm not really! Okay, how about the fact that although I do indeed have a rather plum English accent, am rarely seen without a fancy waistcoat and actually do use a monocle, cane and pocketwatch sometimes, I actually live in a small ex-council house in a bit of a rough neighbourhood.

On an unrelated note, I didn't particularly enjoy The Princess Bride.

God-given, eh...?

I think the phrase that really sums up my life at the moment is "If you can't bend the circumstances to your will, bend your will to the circumstances". You need to be very comfortable in your own skin before you can do it, though, and you also need to make sure that you really can't do anything about the circumstances otherwise you get complacent.

But yes, it's one of the paradoxes of the world that it's only after you've made peace with the world that you can really start trying to change it.

Thanks for giving us one of the more revealing, interesting interviews to date.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

In addition to those already mentioned:
    Discombobulate
    Chortle
    Ha'pen'orth
    Catoblepas
    Scurvy
    Grockle
    Sanguine
    Mighty
    Filch
    Landlubber

Gotten.
    Smelly.

Waves against the shore, accordions, and the appreciative roar of an audience.

The Most Annoying Sound in the World

Also an alarm clock.

Listing my favourite words, and also getting a spontaneous text from the bonny lass saying hello and wishing me a nice day. Plus I'm reading a hilarious blog of screenshots of Onion articles being taken seriously on Facebook.
    http://literallyunbelievable.org

Flamboyant wind-up merchant.

7. If you were only allowed to retain two possessions what would they be?

My hat and my magic compass... no, wait. I had to sell the compass in the end. And come to think of it I could just make another hat...

In seriousness, probably an engraved pocket watch my dad left me when he was diagnosed as terminal, and either my monocle or my computer with my various writing projects on it.

8. Is it better to be loved or respected?

Well, I'm not sure you can properly love someone without respecting them to some degree. Which element I'd enjoy more depends entirely on who's doing it.

Writing my first full-length play, a loose adaptation of The Three Musketeers. Also learning not to be an uptight and absolutist prude during my mid-teens.

There's still a lot I want to accomplish, but in terms of who I am as a person, I'd say pretty darn close. I give it a 9.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

MaryContrary

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, MaryContrary, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

MaryContrary: The nursery rhyme.
    Had no idea about any of that allegorical stuff at time. Just thought it sounded cool, like the perfect internet moniker. And the rebelliousness it implied appealed to me at the time. Still does, I think, though in a different way. Which probably isn’t a good thing.

How did you find TOL?

I…honestly can’t remember. Pretty sure my husband pointed it out to me at one point and I know he was familiar with it back then so…yeah, probably that.

Top five easily. Depends on what you’re looking for, though. Something challenging and interesting? TOL rocks the top notch, no doubt. There are other forums I frequent that address particular issues for particular groups of people, so it’s hard to judge those in relation to TOL. But even then we’re looking at the top five, IMHO.

I’ve got three folders at the top and bunch beneath that:

1) “Online games”, which is stuff like MMO’s I‘ve grown tired of, flash game sites like armorgames.com (I love tower defense games! Hard time finding any I haven’t already beaten) and just any internet game that catches my fancy.

2) “RPG Stuff”, which is…tabletop rpg stuff. Links, forums, etc. Most inspirational and source material for the games I run.

3) “TOL Stuff”, which is more source material. Pretty much anything I stumble across on the net that I might need to refer to on TOL someday. It’s also come to be a folder I just put anything interesting that reminds me something from TOL for that matter. I’ve got conversapedia.com in there, for example, and I don’t think I’ve ever referenced it on TOL.

4) Beneath that: a bunch of links I don’t want to bother digging out of a folder: Gmail, Free Republic, Pajamas TV, Failblog, Fanfiction.net, Biblegateway, TV Guide, Weather.com, Lolcats, Thesaurus, Youtube and Order of the Stick.
    But, hey, despite appearances, none of that’s really all thatorganized.

Get us custody of hubby’s son. Put the rest in the bank for emergencies.

FTL engine.
    Yeah, really. We could use a new frontier.

Various heart diseases and cancer are what kill the most people each year, so either of those. Probably heart disease, since that one typically doesn't really give you a heads up.

What color is your room?

Yellowish?

Pretty much “cool”. I’m willing to let things like efficiency slide a little in the interests of cool. Not much but…yeah, a little.
    Of course, some things work so well that that's a cool all by itself. I like things that really work well.

Do you have a favorite hobby?

RPGs!
    Yeah, I haven’t posted anything there in a while but we’re still gaming. Probably will be sitting around the table when we’re eighty.

Conservative.

You list as a Christian but many newer members may not know the short story of your relationship with Christ. Would you like to share with them how it was you became a Christian?

Short story? I was a hateful, twisted, wicked person who somehow managed to have a small group of loving friends. Those friends loved me enough to tell me, frequently, how hateful, twisted and wicked I was. That God hated and despised everything I embraced and that I was going to hell. And that God loved me enough to humble Himself and die to save me from all of that, if I just stopped fighting and accepted Him. One day I did. Viola. Wasn’t even a miracle or anything. He just out-stubborned me.

One of the standout moments in your career on TOL was sharing your testimonial with the community. It was/has been well discussed/received and controversial to some members. Thinking back, what convinced you to come forth with your story?

I was called to do it. Wish I’d done a better job of it but I guess it's good enough. I'm sure not going back and touching it.

What was the scariest part to admit for you?

My father. All of that.

Do you have any regrets in what you shared?

…Yes and no. I can’t think about it without panicking and wanting to go delete the thing (thanks for bringing it up four times in a row!) but I stifle it.

Meh, if it does anything positive at all for anyone at all, then it’s worth it. I mean, it’s the internet anyway, right? But I do really, really hate having it out there where certain people can read it.

On the other hand, I am three-quarters of the way through my autobiography now. Writing and posting that was definitely the gateway. I wouldn't have even started otherwise.

Being redeemed. Hands down. That’s almost a pat answer, I know, but yeah, really. That changed everything and put everything into perspective for me. I’d be dead and in hell right now otherwise, just to drive the point home.

I sure one of these four things is something you (kind reader) didn't already know about me that would be surprising.

1) I was born on October 31st.
    2) I am, literally, brain damaged. Took a baseball bat to the head once.
    3) I once ate a live cricket on a two dollar bet.
    4) I got drunk and got in a fight with a police officer. And won. Relatively speaking.

Storms pass.

Thank you MaryContrary for this insightful interview you've shared with us tonight.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Discombobulated.

Is that not the awesomest word ever?

I hate to do it but I have to speak generally here. Words like "floccinaucinihilipilification". The act or habit of describing or regarding something as unimportant. The irony there should be not be lost, as the word is entirely too long to be of any real use to anyone at all. Words shouldn't be that long and difficult. They should accurately and effectively convey what they mean, of course...but this doesn't. Because it's too danged long.

Also, words that aren't spell with any phonetic consistency. Like "bruise" or "receipt" and "salute". I understand the English language is kind of a mish-mash of this and that, and this really can't be corrected without revamping the whole thing...still bugs me, though.

Any sigh of pleasure, other than my own, from any loved one, that I'm responsible for.

That and wind chimes.

Any dog barking that isn't actually warning that he's for real about to bite. I don't like having to stifle my instincts to violently remove a threat because you didn't really mean it when you threatened me.

This applies to people as well, not just dogs. Especially those proverbial chihuahuas in the world. Stop taking advantage of my polite willingness not to smack your face because you stopped short of actual violence yourself. I'm always tempted to make an example.

That and nails on a chalkboard.

My answer to the last question. So maybe I'm a little sadistic.

Prior to that, the most recent, profound and long-lasting smile was from my hubby murmuring something or other about how much he missed me while we were sharing a big, long hug in the doorway. That smile lasted a while. So maybe I'm not all bad.

Tall, hard and beautiful.

Yes, I'm pushing it with the "beautiful" but I happen to think a woman shouldn't be required to describe herself in any other way.

You got a problem with that?!

Wedding ring and my net worth, in cash.

Personally? Loved. I'd just rather be loved than respected. I wouldn't care if the whole world didn't think much of me if there was one person who honestly loved me. Conversely, if the whole world respected me and no one honestly loved me, I'd be pretty miserable. And probably bitter at the whole world for respecting me so much and not otherwise giving a crap.

My husband had a party thrown for him this one time and everyone was all about how great he was for an evening. And he took the opportunity to show me off to everyone there.

Yeah, I can't give that thing the credit it's due.

I think I'm pretty close to who I should be. Who I want to be, though? Maybe four. I'm probably not going to get any closer than five or so.

Except on those days when I'm wise enough to want to be who I should.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Student X

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, Student X, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screen name?

Mr. Q., Thank you for sharing your time to interview me. The inspiration for Student X is Jesus Christ and my humble position with Him. Student X is a disciple of Christ........ ['student' = pupil, or disciple] + [ 'X' = Christos]
    student_ad_x became my moniker mainstay on many Christian forums. [student = pupil or disciple] + [aD=annoDomine] + [X = Christos]

Some people may have been confused by your other screen name, student_ad_x. Would you like to clear that up for everyone at once?

Sure, When I joined TOL, I lurked for some time as bereancam, Student X before a username change, then started posting. I regularly dump cache/junk, so when I cleared my browser, I cleared my passwords by mistake. I couldn't remember the password At the time, I remember there was a heated peanut gallery discussion, so I conjured up the username, student_ad_x, but by the time I thought about posting, I remembered bereancam's password, so I just used the bereancam account from then on. Later, I realized that I liked the student ad x moniker better than bereancam, so I asked Knight to change it, which he happily did for me. After a troll smacked me around about being an ad pitch man, I acted a smidge rashly and I asked Lucky to change the name to Student X.......... hence, StuX, as T.H. has so apptly coined me.

student ad x had been dormant for a couple of years. One day I was cleaning out yahoo mail and I came across the TOL email for student ad x. I recalled the password and logged in. I was like cool, then wondered how long it would take to build up rep in the new rep value system that Knight had changed a few years ago. I've used this account for a year or so, posting here or there, trying to build up rep, but rep is extremely slow going. It will take years for student ad x to attain the same level Student X.

How did you find TOL?

I used Google to look for Theology discussions - google spat out TOL, Crosswalk, Christian Forums, CARM and some others.

Well, TOL is different from other Christian boards. I'd say TOL ranks at the top of free-for-all informal debate sites.

On my bookmark bar, you'd find folders: home pages, email, news, blogs, reading/research, studies, online sermons, sports, music.

Pay off student loan , then find & purchase property for a church plant in Martinsville Indiana, then compensate a Pastor to preach, teach & live ...... through retirement, then find me a nice cave to occupy.

Fully automated automobiles for commuting, public transportation etc.

Alzheimers or Schizophrenia........ it's a tossup

You started the latest iteration of the "What are you listening to?" thread. How would you describe your musical taste?

Diverse, from plain song through classical, jazz, blues, through Progressive Rock/Metal, and out into the ambient sounds......... then there's country, I'm not that diverse.

What color is your room?

My cave has a few nooks. The walls in the nook where I sleep, NEED TO BE REPAINTED.
    At one time, the nook was supposed to be a shared room for kids, a boy and girl... so the colors reflect that thought process.

I'll have some kind of off-white, eventually

I don't have fashion. If the clothes are comfortable, I where them. I don't have a favorite brand of car, but I do have a specific favorite car family; 1967-69 Camaro SS/Z28. My favorite brand of electronics is pretty much anything that works, but, I do love Bose equipment..... I wish I had some.

On your profile page you mentioned you are a bicycler. What appeals to you about the hobby?

The bicycling started out as a sad attempt at physical therapy for chronic back conditions. Once I was able to strengthen up and build some stamina, bike riding became something to enjoy, as well a way to burn fat. All of these years later, I was reminded that a bike is a machine, simple, but still a machine. I had forgotten the feeling, the adrenaline, the air moving through the hair......... self-propelled freedom.

I do my darndest to stay away from political views, but I'm a conservative.

You list as a Christian and you openly claim Calvinist views. Like your other Calvinist brethren, what do you have to say to views critics?

Salvation is all of grace, from beginning to end.

What inspires you to take up the Christian faith?

The Word of God, prayer & my Christian brothers and sisters.

The greatest test was having complications during Lower-Back surgery. I contracted the MRSA infection from the hospital, which, a week later, landed me back in the hospital, followed by 30 days of home health care. 11 years later, the back (degenerative disc disease), hip & leg (sciatic nerve problems) remains as a physical test I face daily.

Being a part of the Pan Am Games Festival Orchestra (1989) with Joself Gingold, Janos Starker & others.

I'm middle-aged, not married, no children & haven't been on a date in a decade....... oh and I don't drive an automobile.

Seek humility.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Humble

A colorful metaphor that is used all too frequently in the vernacular of some people, it has 4 letters...

I love the quiet of the morning, when only the birds have the stage.

. Fingernails dragged across a chalk board........ wait a second, the sound of my female cat in heat, that's it, final answer

Rainee's profile pic

Not there yet, or introverted eclectic eccentric.

7. If you were allowed to retain only two possessions what would they be?

Well, a couple pair of pants of course

My Bible & my viola are the possessions I'd be lost without.

I'd say loved. Respect can be earned, and sadly, forgotten... true love is not forgotten.

I could list one of my musical accomplishments, but being physically capable of helping others take care of their lawns and gardens is what I'm most satisfied with.

I'd think a 4, I have such a long way to go.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; March 27th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Lon

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, Lon, let's start out with some simple stuff. Is your screenname your real name?

Lon: Yes. I'd probably forget who you were talking to otherwise.

How did you find TOL?

Google. I was looking for a place to discuss theology. Theologyonline seemed a no-brainer.

More challenging, certainly. We need places that greatly test and challenge our beliefs.

Each of my family members has their own section under our names. Mine is Theology, Chat, Games, Art, Reading, Guitar and other music, and personals such as friends' websites etc.

We each over our lifetime average about 1.2 m so I'm actually using it as we speak like most families taking care of ourselves and others.

I've actually thought of a lot of things that get invented and somebody else makes the $.
    Right now, it would be a 3-d 1st person interactive Bible, including landscape that reflects NASA topography as well as Bible characters you could walk up to and learn scriptures 'first-hand' so to speak. There are interactive Bibles, but not as fully immersed as I'm imagining.

So many. My wife was diagnosed with cancer and is now 1 1/2 years in remission after 2 years of treatment.

What kind of hobby do you enjoy?

Reading, Theology, music, cooking, drawing, Disney and western movies.

What color is your room?

Boring off-white

Levi's jeans, Chrysler, Jimmy Dean, Reeces

Are you a fan of literature? What kind of literature appeals to you?

Yes. Mostly fantasy, 2nd would be historical fiction.

More republican than democrat (smaller government, less regulation and involvement) but
    I look for able leaders and good character when I vote.

You list as a Christian, and for new members and forgetful long termers, can you describe your relationship with Christ for us?

My 'relationship' with Christ? Simply I'd say saved and adopted by grace.

What are some doctrines you agree with?

Reformed. Most orthodox positions.

What are some that you disagree with?

Unorthodox positions, especially concerning the nature of God and Christ.

My wife was diagnosed with cancer.

Kids being born, wedding, the day I knew Christ loved me, seeing kids come to Christ.

My eclectic job resume' probably. I've done about everything: Bookstore warehouse, construction, remodelling, tunnel construction foreman, carpenter, teacher, lumberyard, bus-driver, para-professional with special needs children, camp director, logger, salesman, associate pastor, janitor, warehouse worker, church-growth consultant, artist aid, carnival ride operator, catering and food industry....

Forgive one another, deeply, from the heart. We all mess up. The hard lesson for me was that those I looked up to who have fallen, God isn't done with them yet. Yes, we need to go through discipline channels, but no, that doesn't mean disowning nor that there is no hope left. We all have fallen short of the glory of God to some degree or another.

Mat 18:35 So also my heavenly Father will do to you, if each of you does not forgive your brother from your heart."

Thank you Lon for the insightful interview into your life.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Grace

What? I can't type that here!
    (thankfully)
    I am however bothered by vainly using God's name as a swearword/interjection.

Rain on a tinroof

Incessant barking (I'm grouchy when I'm tired)

Surnaturel's avatar and Rainee bugging him about it and the whole humorous process of him having to change it.

Saved by Grace

Tough one. Er...My computer and my bank account?

Yes.

Seeing those I've led to Christ, leading others to Christ.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?[/quote]

10 and zero. You will all figure that out pretty easily

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Angel4Truth

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, Angel4Truth, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

A4T: Angel biblically means messenger, the #4 just short for the word for and Truth from the passage where Christ says " I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man comes to the Father but by Me"

So to make a long story short, it literally means Messenger for Christ.

How did you find TOL?

I was refereed here by Inzlkett. I know her from another board where I used to post.

I would rank it one of the best that is out there right now- and certainly the best christian forum around right now.

I've been posting/chatting on a few different forums for a while and now this one is the only one i am active on.

As a relatively new member of the forum, what impresses you the most about the community?

Even though at times some people do not seem to get along with one another, just about everyone conducts themselves in a manner that allows discussion to continue.

There is a great amount of latitude for discussion to take place here. Even the squabbles here seem to me like that you would find in a family. So to me its like a great big huge family.

You have the serious and not so serious and the eccentricities you would find in a big family.

What disappoints you about TOL, if anything?

Its a little difficult for new members to navigate and understand.

Yes, i like playing with computer graphics and photo editing.

News links, theology articles, things i think are interesting and want to show someone, some threads from here, and some random things i am looking at on amazon that i want to look more into. I used to have loads of others but ive recently changed computers and cant figure out how to get them from a win xp computer to win 7. Im having a hard time getting transfer to work from my old one to this one on loads of things (i dont like win 7)

Wow, that one would take a lot of thought, i would put it in the bank and then pray long and hard about it.

Right off i think i would pay a few bills off and try to figure out a way for family to be a lot closer together since we are all spread out and would most likely help many family members with it.

Cancer.

What color is your room?

Which room? LOL, the room i am in right now is like a creamy beige color.

Not really, i like a lot of different kinds of things but tend toward American made only vehicles, I usually want what has the best reviews to get the most bang out of my buck, fashion to me is anything someone likes the best or what looks the best on them and thats not always what is in style or 'hot'.

Fed up with all government to be honest, i am neither republican or democrat. I think both sides of that coin have failed the american people greatly and neither seems to care, they just press on with their current faults and both blame the other side. Its sad really.

You list as a Christian, and many newer or even some older members may be interested in a quick take on your story. What inspired you to take up the Christian faith?

Conviction of my sins which are many. Wanting the truth no matter what it was. Wanting purpose and direction and reason for my life.

If you could say anything to your political or doctrinal critics, what would you like to say to them?

Ask and discuss with me what *I* think instead of what you *assume* my church/party/group thinks.

Yes, but its very person and its something that should remain so.

Aside from being saved, it would be getting married to my husband.

I used to be quite a liberal thinker.

Thats easy, learn not to sweat the small stuff.

The Ten:

Spoiler

Baby

Can't say it on here.

My husbands voice.

That screechy sound that chalk makes on a chalk board.

Being asked to join in with this interview.

Inquisitive, caring, funny.

My wedding ring and a radio.

Loved.

Learning that God and family are the most important things in life.

6 - loads of room for improvement there.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Buzzword

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: So, Buzzword, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Buzzword: I had a chip on my shoulder for awhile about how it seemed like too many Christians had based their entire theology around clichés, and could only respond to or with…buzzwords…when confronted with that fact.

How did you find TOL?

TOL was one of three religion forums I found with my initial Google search. I’d been very active on message boards of other topics before, and I’d run out of new people to discuss theology with.

Definitely number 1 for religious forums. Further down on the list for general forums, mainly because I had never put anyone on ignore prior to coming to TOL.

What is your favorite thing about TOL?

The variety of viewpoints and beliefs.

My blog, MemeBase, several Wikis (official and unofficial), etc.

Pay off my debts, buy and furnish a fairly nice house, get my and my wife’s cars repaired, pay for the rest of my wife’s college education, then invest the rest in non-taxable municipal bonds for our retirement.

What kind of hobbies do you have?

Writing, playing piano/trombone, singing (especially with my wife), watching Mixed Martial Arts, etc.

A self-driving car, so both me and my wife could nap in the car when we take road trips.

Ignorance

What color is your room?

Red and beige.

Not really. My dad built my computer from scratch, and I buy clothes that are comfortable and affordable, regardless of where I have to look to get them.

Very cynical when it comes to voting. When discussing, I try to take the middle of the road. I’ve been a fanatic for both ends of the spectrum, but nowadays I try to acknowledge that both sides have a few things right, and a few things wrong.

You list as a Christian, yet you are sometimes at odds with the mainstream Christians. What is the Christian faith to you?

Being filled with the presence of transcendent existence to the point that the animalistic kill-or-be-killed, fight-or-flight instincts may at last be overcome to reach a state of working for others’ best because doing so is for MY best. Or, in simpler terms, being brought into perfect relationship with God, with each other, and with God’s created universe.

Actually I feel as though I’m facing it now. I’m about to graduate from college after eight years of trying and failing, facing many other challenges along that road. Now I feel on the edge of a precipice, knowing I must jump (to support myself and my wife, who is still in college), but not knowing if what lies at the bottom will be an eternity of hellish servitude to the Man, or experiences even more amazing than what I have had so far in life.

Marrying my wife, especially after coming through the three years of her mother’s final (fatal) battle with cancer with her, and finding light at the end of the tunnel.

I enjoy writing comic books.

People matter more than theologies.

The Ten
    Spoiler

Ten Quick Questions

Music.

“Like”, when used as conversational filler

A drumline warming up.

Other people’s pets.

Kissing my wife good-morning.

Creative, cynical, compromising. (and alliterative)

My computer and my wedding ring.

Loved, at least in the Christian sense. To be respected requires an act on MY part, which is simply reacted to by others. To be loved requires a proactive choice on THEIR part, regardless of what I do or don’t do.

Getting a poem published, and being able to send my grandpa (who has always encouraged me to write) a copy of the anthology.

A five at most. I still have a lot of work to do as a husband, as a Christian, as a man, and as a human being.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

John Mortimer

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, John Mortimer, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

John Mortimer: A desire to be open, honest and transparent. John Mortimer is my birth name. I remember also – back when I found TOL – a desire to discuss theology in a very serious manner and so I had no time for any fancy screen name nonsense. I've lightened up a lot since those days!

How did you find TOL?

Search engine – I wanted to find a theology forum online and so guess what came up?

Well, I don’t do ranking in terms of “better or worse”... what I will say is that TOL is much more cosmopolitan than other theology / spiritual forums I’ve been involved with. There’s an impressive degree of freedom allowed by the moderators.

If you could say anything to the TOL community at large, what would you share with them?

Always be willing to question and challenge your own beliefs and mental boxes. I know how difficult that can be. Even identifying one’s own beliefs and mental boxes can be difficult because they are often subconscious. I just know from experience that blessing results from such questioning – and, sooner or later, misery results from not questioning.

Lady Gaga (various sites & pages)
    Kellee Maize
    Gangaji
    Scott Kiloby
    Mooji
    Ask The Real Jesus
    Katy Perry
    Kesha
    Kylie Minogue
    The weather forecast (I am British, after all!)
    and various chess sites & pages

I honestly don’t know... but I would know if I were in that situation.

An energy supply that was completely free. In fact, if you believe the conspiracy theories, such a supply has already been found and developed but is being suppressed by vested interests.

Depression.

What color is your room?

Blue and white

What kind of hobbies do you enjoy?

Chess is the only actual hobby I have. I am a musician – but music is far more than a hobby to me.

Not really. I love Criminal Damage clothing.

You've mentioned being from Scotland on the forum before, what is your favorite thing about Scotland?

The general sense of tolerance and compassion. The collective consciousness of Scotland is interesting in many ways and, like most other nations, changing quite rapidly. I get the sense that Scotland is beginning to regain its vocation as a center of innovation. I may be wrong about that – but I think it is and I certainly hope so.

In a word, moderate. I don’t think the old left-right paradigm has any basis in reality anymore. In fact I don't know if it ever had a basis in reality.

You list as an Other, yet you often post with a Christian to a spiritual slant in regards to your faith. For those unaware, what is the story of John Mortimer's experience with faith?

When I was very young I simply could not believe how few people there seemed to be who were interested in the big questions... God, the meaning of existence etc. I had a very earnest desire to be serious about these things. I read some philosophy but found the lack of certainty unsettling. I got involved with Christian fundamentalism after certain experiences and so began a journey that went from premillennial dispensationalist Christianity to Calvinism to Anglo-Catholicism to the Ascended Master teachings and then to where I am now. If there was to be a label put on where I am now, I guess the most relevant would be, “Non-duality”.
    All through the journey I have had an interest in Zen... even in the Christian fundamentalist days!

There is no one test I would single out. In terms of the “spiritual path”, it was definitely in 2 stages, both in regard to Mother Mary, (the spiritual being whose last embodiment was as the mother of Jesus). The first stage of that test was the acceptance of the mind-blowing reality that a completely natural communion with her was possible for anyone, including me. The second stage was the discovering what the true nature of that communion actually is.

If I had shied away from either of these tests my life would have been very different indeed – and not in a good way.

There have been very much more traumatic and distressing “tests”... but I don’t feel there is much point in discussing them.

When I encountered Mother Mary.

Mmmm... perhaps that I don’t really exist?

Identities and personality come and go but what we are has no beginning and thus who we are has no final ending.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Ten quick questions:

Blessed.

Punish.

Woodpigeons coo-ing

Road drills.

My son saying, “Good morning, dad”.

I am presence.

A baby photo of my son. My laptop.

Loved.

Allowing myself to come into communion with Mother Mary. I would not, however, say I am proud of that, for pride, (in the sense of the ego), has to be completely let go of for such communion to happen. I would say, without a shadow of doubt, that communion with Mother Mary is the most significant achievement of this embodiment so far.

Ten.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

graceandpeace

The Interview:
    Spoiler

Quincy:So, graceandpeace, how did you find TOL?

A friend gave me the link, (someone I knew on another board).

Depends on what I am ranking...just to be clear. As pertaining to freedom to express, I find it moreso unlimited, but as to what it upholds, I find it moreso lacking. That is to say that truth is in the eye of the beholder, and as far as truth is being spread, I don't see much of that going on here....accept for the few that understand the new covenant.

All kinds of things...facebook, youtube, biblestudy links, government links that are pertaining to my permanent residence here in Canada, some other favorite sites, like Kijiji, that is a site that offers free ads..for selling personal items, etc....because I like a good bargain..

I would use it to spread the gospel, help the needy, feed the poor, I do not get involved with worldly treasures so much, having walked away from it, when the Lord brought it upon my heart. I live day to day, simply and humbly, without a need to impress my heart with worldly riches. I left all my physical riches when I came to Canada, to start fresh, without it. I do not have a desire to store up the same old riches I have left behind.

Do you have any favorite hobbies?

Oh yes...I love to oil paint, and writing poems/songs, gardening, working with my hands, in crafts, etc...anything that has a 'creative flair' to it, I love. I also love to hike, and camp, if that could be considered a hobbie, simply because I love the outdoors, and the freedom from 'stuff', stuff that I mentioned priorly.. material things.

hmmm, that is a hard question. Certainly I can think of alot of things that would make the world a better place, so it would have to be something that would offer help to someone in need. Curing deseases like Cancer would be wonderful, so, that is a starting point, I think.

hatred.

What color is your room?

well, right now, I am sitting in my bedroom, at the desk, and the room is gray...btw, I hate gray...LOL, but time will change it.

nope

I am not into politics..left them when I came out of the world. I stand for Jesus and His government, the governments of men are doomed to destruction, so why bother in it?

You list as a Christian, for those that don't know what does the Christian faith mean to you?

It is grace. Being set free from the old carnal nature, bound by the law of moses, to serve in newness of the Spirit, wherein your heart can rejoice in the things of God...love being the most important, for it is where the others come from. You cannot have joy, without love, you cannot have peace without love, you cannot have any of them without love, which is why love fulfills the law, and gives men a means to grasp the mind of Jesus Christ.

Through this grace, we learn to obey in all things, for it is the power of the gospel. We do not do it in an instant, but it is a process of having your mind renewed day by day, and continues throughout your life. During the process, you receive as much as you are willing to give.

It is well documented that you have your theological critics on the website. What is the one thing you'd like to say to them in response?

I do not judge you, I do judge your doctrines. God will be your judge...and, He has said, He will judge you by your own words, and actions..that deny the love that is obtainable, through the gospel of grace.

Yes, when my faith itself was tested, it was the hardest time of my life, but the outcome was exceedingly joyful, I learned the uncompromised truth, through the experience. I was saved around the age of 12, later, I left the truth for a lie...fell into legalism, stayed there for umteen years, began to realise my error, because someone loved the Lord enough to be bold with me, and speak the truth in love. I resisted it at first, but due to the fact that I had been saved priorly, but had simply left my first love, God corrected me, and, now I am here to proclaim the unadulterated gospel of Jesus Christ. To all who will heed, and, if they don't, that is their freewill choice to grasp at.

The day I came back to Jesus Christ. I have to say it was even happier than the first day I came to Him, as a child, because coming home is soo much more, after you know the full evils of the world, than coming home as an innocent child, that really doesnt know the fullness of the evils of the world. I am not ashamed of what I went through. It taught me the fullness of why Jesus Christ saves us all. It taught me to hate sin...after wallering in it; fully.....you simply learn how damaging it really is.

That I am a true comedian...and, that I live life for the simple things. To laugh, is to live.

I may have done too much of that already...but, to add to it, I will just say that God is love, and it is His will to make us in His image..and, sometimes the process is hard, especially for the rebellious house that ALL of us are a part of...even if we think we are not.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Love

probably the one's I miss spell...hehe.

LAUGHTER

Traffic, or loud noises of the city. I love the quietness of the outdoors, where you can hear the birds, or the flo of a creek, or the wind, that blows through the trees.

TOL, lol

Sincere, Giving, and Honest...those are my good points.

Bad points:

Impatient, Emotional, and Hard headed...but, I am growing in these, through the power of love, amen.

Physical?

hmmm, a few clothes, and some food.

That is like saying, what comes first..the chicken or the egg...but, I believe LOVE is the root of every good thing, so I choose LOVE...without love, there is no respect.

Finally hearing Jesus.

in my way of looking at it, a 1; in God's,.....I am up there with Him.....
    Last edited by Town Heretic; April 9th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SOZO

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: So, SOZO, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

SOZO: Which one?

My first user name was "Sheepdog", but only for a short while. I then choose "Sozo", which is the Greek word for "save" specifically from 1 Cor 9:22. As you know, there have been many others.

How did you find TOL?

I believe it's been nearly 10 years ago. I was looking for a place to discuss the Bible.

There are other forums?
    This is it for me.

Paypal, ebay, craigslist, library. That's about it.

Pay off the house, play professional golf.

I have one idea right now that would do very well if I had the ability to bring to fruition.

Religion

What color is your room?

My office is plain sheetrock (unfinished)

I buy nearly everything from garage sales or craigslist. So whatever works and is cheap.

Do you have any favorite hobbies?

Golf, Tennis, Writing, yard work

What are some of your favorite music bands?

Genesis (with Peter Gabriel), Jethro Tull, ELO, Doobie Brothers. Mostly 70's classic rock. Today I enjoy John Mayer, Loreena McKennitt, Ray Lamontagne, and Alison Krause

I think all politicians are out of touch with the government's roll.

Everyone on the forum knows your religious views and many are critical of you. Many also agree with you. What is the one thing you would like to say to your critics?

Jesus loves you. Listen to Him.

What is one thing you would like to say to the folks who agree with you?

I don't want them to agree with me. I want them to have absolute assurance in their heart that what they believe, they believe because they know it is true, because God revealed it to them.

Other than my wife, the closet person to me in this world is my first born son. I did most everything with him, and for him. I had to ask him to leave our home just under a year ago, because he refused to do what his mother asked him. I miss him terribly.

The day my son was born. I've had 7 more of those days that run a close second.

I don't hide much, so I'm not sure.

It's not about here, and it's not about now.

Ten quick questions:
    Spoiler

Jesus

Religion

My children's voices

Barking dogs

My 5 year old daughter. She says something every day that brings a smile to everyone she meets.

(sorry, I can't think of anything)

Bible & Pillow

Neither.

Married the right woman

In the flesh - 0. In the Spirit -10

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Round Three Index:

44. drbrumley

45. Dena
    Last edited by Town Heretic; May 26th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

drbrumley

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: So, drbrumley, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

drbrumley: The DR is my first two initials, of course Brumley being Brumley, that's my name.

You are one of a few members that stick with the same avatar for a long period of time. What does your avatar mean to you?

That I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States. The words in my avatar say, "Think Iraq is hard to occupy, try the USA." I was against the Persian Gulf II invasion. And time wore on that Iraqi's were a proud people like we are, and they wouldn't give up either. Then I saw that avatar, and I loved it.

How did you find TOL?

I used to watch Bob Enyart Live in Ft Myers, FL on the christian channel at midnight. Then they pulled his show. After a year maybe, I just got the internet for the first time and remembered his name and searched for him. He had a chat room and that is where I met Poly. We became good friends thru his site. Then she told me about this great site. I have been a member ever since.

There are no others....no seriously, this place is the best.

Ancestry.com, TOL, lewrockwell.com, antiwar.com is about it.

Take care of me and my wife's parents first. Then my children and then my wife and I. Then give the rest to charity.

Cancer

What color is your room?

Yellow

I love GM but not really happy with their management. As long as I look presentable, I'm happy with about anything. But I do like Levis. Bose speakers stand out to me.

If you all don't know already, I'm very liberty orientated.

You list as a Christian Right Wing Zealot, yet many Christian right wingers are at odds with your views. If you could make one statement to defend your take on libertarianism, what would you say?

Scriptures defend my view, let's see your defense.

Do you believe libertarianism conflicts in any way with the Gospel?

Not at all....The gospel is very libertarian.

My son was born 3 months early. He could fit in my hand. Just over a pound at birth. That was some scary stuff right there. And it was a severe test of my faith at that point in time.

Getting married to Korena, and the birth of my 3 kids.

That I'm not a DR. But I play one on TOL! LOL!

It's easy and was taught by Jesus and is universal. Too bad even Christians fall away from this teaching. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Ten quick questions:
    Spoiler

Jesus

Um, this is a family site right? LOL!

My fan running at night.

Nails on a chalkboard

My lovely wife kissing me goodnight.

Laidback, loyal, Christian

Has to be my bible, oh, my blanket (comforter)

Loved. If someone loves you, respect comes naturally.

Getting married to my beautiful wife.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dena

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    So, Dena, let's start out with some simple stuff. For those that don't know, what inspired your screenname?

It's the name my parents gave me.

How did you find TOL?

I was invited here by a former friend. She knew some of the members in person. She didn't stay...I did.

I appreciate the fact that we are free to be honest and state our opinions without constantly being threatend with a ban for disagreeing with Christianity. I am on another religious forum where I am barely allowed to say anything at all about my own religion.

Facebook, TOL, two other religious forums, my own forum for Jewish converts and a forum for chicks trying to lose weight. Oh and Craigslist.

I would buy a house close to the Jewish community and have it renovated to suit my tastes. Maybe put in some solar panels and a wind mill if it was allowed.

I would do some traveling with my husband and donate a bit to charity. I would also set aside enough to go back to school for my Master's in Social Work. The rest I would put in a retirement account for when we're old.

A use for dryer lint

Everyone else is curing cancer so maybe I'll just be selfish and say Fibromyalgia (I have it). Otherwise, all forms of dementia.

I love to kayak and travel

What color is your room?

Which one? Our bedroom is what I call light chocolate milk.

What shows or movies are you liking these days?

Weeds, Dexter, Fringe, Mad Men and Six Feet Under

All three of my cars have been Chevrolet. My mother gets a discount so when I was younger my parents bought GM vehicles. My husband gets Ford discounts (his father works at Ford) but I don't think I'll ever need a brand new car. It seems awfully frivolous.

I'm particular about food. I buy meat and dairy without hormones which means there are certain brands I won't touch.

I would say I'm a Liberal Libertarian with a Green twist

You list as a Jewish but you weren't always Jewish. What was conversion like for you?

It was like falling in love and marrying 14 million people. Some days I'm overwhelmed with enthusiasm for Judaism and other days are sort "blah"...kinda like marriage. This is of course the simplified version. Before my conversion I wrote an 11 page essay for the Rabbis who sat on my Beit Din (a requirement for conversion).

Conversion has been a struggle. Creating a Jewish identity has been a struggle. Balancing my husbands needs with my desire to be more observant and participate in the Jewish community has been a struggle. However it's all worth it and I am beyond happy that I chose this life.

My parents split up two days after I married and moved out of their house. It was extremely stressful. I had never lived in another house, I had never lived in the city and I had never been someone's wife. On top of all of that my parents lives were falling apart and my mother was an absolute mess.

The stress exacerbated what I now know is OCD and that in turn caused some serious depression. I couldn't even take a shower by myself. I was terrified ALL the time for no reason. I knew I wouldn't make it without help so I did find a good psychiatrist and therapist. It's been 5 years since and I'm much better now. I would say I am probably happier than I have ever been.

I can't choose one moment. Traveling with my husband rates up there at the top. Spending time with my Grandmother did too.

I am never content. I always want something but never know what exactly is missing.

Me? Share wisdom? Give me a few years.

Ten quick questions:
    Spoiler

I tend to use the world ridiculous and imbecile way too often.

I hate the words feet and foot.

Ocean waves, baby giggles and the summertime sounds when outside of the city

Fighting and loud noises in general

My husband. Nothing in particular, he just makes me smile.

Short Jewish Sleepy

A car (it doubles as shelter) and a stuff animal my husband gave me a long time ago

I don't feel loved if I'm not respected

Graduating college and becoming a Jew

Oh goodness. Probably only a 3 or 4.

Pro-Life

Thread Information