Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

rocketman

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, rocketman, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

rocketman: I work in areospace, expressly with rocketry.

How did you find TOL?

A family member showed it to me.

How would you rank it among other forums you have participated in?

I have not gotten interested in any other forums like I have with this one. There are lots of things to talk about and plenty of good folks to talk with. I would say this forum is far superior to any other.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

Besides TOL, lots of things having to do with bass fishing which I have been involved with and competed at over the years, I like to search craigslist for deals on lots of items, I also enjoy reading the news and things having to do with space and rocketry my favorite site for this is spaceflightnow.com a great site for those in the business or just an enthusiast.

If you had a million dollars what would you use it for?

I would use it to move from CA. before they took it all really, I have never really thought about it but more than likely I would invest it and retire a lot earlier than I plan to now. A million really is not that much by todays standards so I would consider it a nest egg for my boys education and retirement.

If you could invent one thing what would it be?

I can't tell you it's a secret...

If you could cure one disease, which one do you choose?

The neurosis that is called liberalism, it is the most heinous of mental disorders. Ahh it's incurable so in that case I would cure cancer (all forms) it is a terrible disease.

What color is your room?

cocoa, tan, something like that. I'll ask the wife.

Do you have a favorite brand for things like cars, clothing or electronics?

Ford, Dickies, and Samsung respectively.

How would you describe your political views?

Very Conservative.

You list as a Christian Other, yet you are somewhat new to the website. Care to share with the group how you view your relationship with Christ?

I think mine says Christian, not other but, I will fix it if it does. I am glad that I am considered a friend of God by my faith in the gospel, Jesus saved me from myself, without him I am lost. My releationship with the Lord is just that, a relationship. I don't care for people that act pious, play church, but their hearts are far from him, I believe my relationship with the Lord is one of "keeping it real".

You've had the great honor of a meteoric rise in popularity in your short tenure here on TOL. What do you observe, contributes most to that?

Well, that is a tough question, I guess you are only as good as people think you are and I have had the privilege & honor of being the recipient of that reputation from almost all (wink wink) the folks here at TOL. I also think being a good poster, not being too confrontational, and trying to understand other points of view before being critical of it. Sometimes people come out of the gate here at TOL making enemies, it is really hard to gain that lost ground is all I would tell them. There is nothing wrong with spirited debate that's what makes TOL so great. I hope that helps.

If you could make just one statement for what you hope the future of your time here on TOL contains, what would you say?

There are great posts in us all, and I can't wait to read them.

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

Life before Christ.

What was the happiest moment of your life?

I'll change that to moments...The Day the Lord entered my life, marrying my lovely wife, the birth of both of my sons, the day I started launching rockets (what a thrill), being honored for Truthsmacker of the year and being ushered into the TOL hall of fame. There are so many blessings how do I begin to count...

What would we all be surprised to find out about you?

That I graduated high school in Tokyo, Japan

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

That there is no sin too big, no hole too deep, or any wound so grave that the Lord our God cannot heal. Jesus loves you and longs for you to have fellowship with Him.

Thanks Quincy, I hope this was adequate.

It was more than adequate, rocketman. Glad you participated and allowed us this insight into who you are.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

1. What is your favorite word?

Jesus

2. What is your least favorite word?

Oops

3. What sound or noise do you love?

The sound of my reel drag peeling off line on a big bass.

4. What sound or noise do you hate?

Snap! line breaks

5. What's the last thing that made you smile?

My two boys (8 & 5) arm wresting, quite comical the 5 year old is going to take the 8 year old if he is not careful.

6. Describe yourself in three words.

easygoing, smiling, talking

7. If you were only allowed to retain only two possessions what would they be?

Bible & a gun

8. Is it better to be loved or respected.

respected

9. What is the proudest accomplishment of your life?

Leading a large build project (3 years) to support a critical launch for our nation's security and completing it on time, on budget, with very few small anomalies. Definitely, my finest hour.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?

Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 2,661 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Selaphiel

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, Selaphiel, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Selaphiel: I have a fascination for angels. Selaphiel is one of the seven archangels, the name means "Prayer of God".

There are rumo(u)rs circulating that you may infact be a vampire. This is of course ridiculous right? This is your opportunity to dispel the rumo(u)rs. What would have say to these conspiracy theorists?

These rumors are of course completely unfounded My reply to such silliness would simply be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ioiag30eAI

How did you find TOL?

I was looking for a theology forum and I searched for one using Google.

This is the forum I spend most time on. There is almost always a topic to engage with here.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

An assortment of articles on theology, a few gaming sites, a philosophy podcast, a progressive theology podcast, The center for process studies and Fr. Robert Barron's Word of fire.
    Quite pleased with that, think I have representations that spans all over the theological spectrum.

Pay my loans. Set aside around 100 000 on a bank account for a rainy day and use the rest to help my nephews and niece to finance studies when they get there.

An efficient energy source that does not destroy our earth.

Since so many of the other interviewed people already plan on curing cancer, I guess I'll go for curing AIDS.

What color is your room?

Off white.

For affordable cars, it is Alfa Romeo. For other things, clothing in particular, I prefer more obscure brands that value craftmanship over mass production.

Social democrat and pro-life in the full sense of the word (against capital punishment, abortion, euthanasia and highly skeptical of war).
    I'm a capitalist in terms of general market, but think every citizen should have the right to fundamental things such as healthcare.

You list as a Christian but have mentioned having prior views such as Panentheism. What inspired you to leave the more eclectic and esoteric faiths behind?

I would not say that I have completely left them behind, as if I somehow has attained the wisdom to reject these immense thoughts of great men and women in just a few years. I would say modified is a better word. I think panentheism is an element within classical theology as well, but it is a more restricted panentheism, what I would call a panentheism of being, like Aquinas' idea of our being is derived from God who is being itself and no other thing has the essence of being by itself. It can also be called soteriological panentheism, salvation is the restoration of our being into full communion with God.
    That is where I am now I think.

What is your view on philosophy and which era in time do you believe had the best philosophers?

I think philosophy is important. It is the discipline of clear, analytic and rigid thinking. Philosophy should make sure that our ideas are coherent. It helps us ask the right questions.

I would not confine myself to one era. I have favorite philosophers, not eras.

You often mention being a videogamer, among other things. What appeals to you about videogames and what is your favorite?

Videogames is a fascinating media that has a huge potential for storytelling. Unlike books and media (Not that it replaces the need for books and movies of course) it interacts with the user and the user participates in the story himself instead of just passively observing it.

My favorite game of all time is Fallout 2.

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

Watching my mother die from cancer 4,5 years ago.

This question is probably far easier to answer for those who are married and/or have children As of now I belive more in periods of happiness, rather than these very magical momentary incidents of happiness.

Hmm..Not sure. Maybe that I'm a very serious tea drinker. Tea and tea culture (in particular Chinese and Japanese tea culture) are my hobbies.

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

There is a short story by Tolstoy about a king who seeks the answer to the 3 most important questions he knows about. Sum them up as:

1) What is the best time to do each thing?
    2) Who are the most important people to work with?
    3) What is the most important thing to do at all times?

And the answer and ending to that story is the hermit telling the king:

"Remember then: there is only one time that is important-- Now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power. The most necessary man is he with whom you are, for no man knows whether he will ever have dealings with any one else: and the most important affair is, to do him good, because for that purpose alone was man sent into this life!"

That story is prophetic truth to me. I guess Tolstoy taught it to me, but life taught me its validity.

Thank you Selaphiel, this was an intriguing and quite interesting conversation.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Theosis

"Hverdag" Means something like "ordinary day" in Norwegian.

The sound of rain.

Cutlery scraping against the plate. Makes me cringe.

An elderly lady in my church said if I colored my beard black, I would look like a guy who is a real fundamentalist muslim that is a lot in the paper here these days . Guess it is getting long.

Analytic, easygoing, introvert.

PC and internet.

Loved.

Not sure. My master degree when I soon finish it. For now I guess it is my bachelor degree.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?

6 or 7. Depends on what day you ask.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; February 12th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SoJ

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: So, Son of Jack, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Son of Jack: Well, the name sort of has a double meaning. I joined after finding out about the conception of our first child, whose name would be Jackson. Additionally, I was a huge fan of the work of C.S. Lewis at the time, and still am to a lesser extent, and all of his closest friends called him Jack.

So, in truth, I guess it could be attributed to a really bad case of dyslexia.

How would you end the rumors that you are a time traveling government agent who just wanted to see what a younger version of a man named Town Heretic (who may be your grandpa) was like?

What rumors? If I were one of the TH's grandchildren, he'd probably be disappointed by my utter lack of humo(u)r.

How did you find TOL?

I actually don't remember how I originally found the forum, but I first started taking an intense interest in it back when Zakath and Bob debated the existence of God. I was an off and on reader for years after that.

By far and away, it is the best. Lots of traffic and diversity. Pretty good moderation. Good mix of fresh faces and established members who are committed. And, some awesome people with whom I've had the privilege to become friends with.

TOL, Facebook (though I rarely go there any more), Google, Youtube. Honestly, I spend the vast majority of my internet time on TOL.

We would erase the small amount of personal debts we have left. We'd set up our children's college funds. We'd help my parents pay off their home so my dad could retire. The rest we'd give to family, friends, and various ministries.

A sense of humo(u)r for those who suffer from ITHD (aka, Insufferably Terrible Humor Disorder).

Cancer. My mom had and survived breast cancer, though she didn't emerge unscathed. My aunt didn't survive it.

What color is your room?

Khaki...thrilling.

Honda makes great vehicles. I wear whatever is cheap and comfortable and doesn't embarrass the wife (more than she already is). Nothing special for electronics.

Meh. I'm beginning to believe that politics isn't the answer to any problem.

You list as a Christian and we all know what that entails. So where you always what you'd consider Christian, or has your life lead you here?

No. I haven't always been a Christian. I'll repost by testimony. Before I do that though, I wanted to point out that a number of people here at TOL have played a major part in shaping me from a Christian perspective.

My story sounds a lot like some of the other stories I've read so far. I was born into a family that didn't attend church regularly, but when I was nine, a group of people came to the YMCA and presented a "gospel" message to us (I put gospel in quotes because I cannot remember exactly what they said). I responded to what they said and went with a friend to pray a prayer, which in retrospect didn't make any sense (they were the ramblings of a nine year old who didn't know anything about the Bible or Christianity really). After I prayed, I called my mom and told her what I'd done. My mom was excited and said that we would find a church to start going to soon. Well, not to far down the road from where I grew up, there was a PCA church.

At that church, I began to learn the teachings of Scripture, if through a distinctly Calvinistic lense. Again, in retrospect, I remember being uncomfortable with some of the teachings of 5 point Calvinism, and openly rejecting (as only a 12 year old can) the concept of Limited Atonement.

Well, I went through high school, dealing with all the stuff that the average teenager does, but deep in the heart of me I knew something was still missing. I began to make some foolish decisions, decisions that haunted me for a long time afterward. I drifted away and began to have some real doubts about whether God even existed. All the while, my girlfriend (now my wife) kept getting me to come to church with her. Through her ministry in my life and the minister of the pastor where we were attending church, I began to come back around. I began to study the Scriptures, Romans specifically, but I still had a number of questions.

Well, as I floundered and wandered, I felt that God was calling me to go to seminary and study the Scriptures more exhaustively. I think I thought back then that I would be able to find answers to many of the questions I still had. When I arrived there in 2004, all the questions I had began to quickly evaporate under the guidance of teachers who really took the Bible seriously, who taught that Jesus really died for our sins (all of them) and that he was really raised from the dead for our justification. In truth, all of my questions weren't real questions at all. They were veiled attempts to reject the truth God had already revealed to me.

One night at church, we had a missionary from Morocco come and speak about his ministry there. Well, he read his passage for the night, Romans 5:1-11, and didn't hear another word that he said. I kept reading that passage over and over again and think about what it meant that Jesus died for our sins, even though we were, in truth, his enemies. I was blown away by God's grace in my life and in the lives of all people. I didn't get up and go to the front. I didn't get all emotional. I just knew. It was at that point I was converted and found in Him.

You have been known for taking sabbaticals from the website. Can you explain what you believe the benefit of them are?

Perspective. It really helps me to take a step back and evaluate some things. It is easy to become so engrossed in the topics that are discussed here that one loses the ability to think and realize that TOL isn't the world. It's but a small and very illustrative picture of the world.

Several years ago, I went through a long bout of severe depression. I felt lost and totally abandoned. Most of what happened to cause the depression was actually my own fault. In no small mistake on my part, I hurt the woman dearest to me, my wife, deeply. I don't wish to dicuss it openly, what I did but know I had hurt her. Anyone reading who is interested in hearing my story and what I accomplished through faith to fix it, please do message me in private, however.

Moving on, my depression had actually started before that, but that only served to deepen it further. I had a really hard time forgiving myself. It was through the encouragement of my wife and children and believing people here and in my world that I remembered my true identity as a child of God. I began to understand that I was the progidal that Jesus talked about Luke 15:11-24 and that I wasn't too bad to be loved by my Father. These truths have given freedom from my past mistakes.

Maybe, someone else can be helped or encouraged by my story, so like I mentioned a moment ago, I will discuss the details in private.

That's easy. The day of my wedding and the birth of my three children. My family is a wonderful gift from God. It is my greatest honor to be a part of it.

My first grade teacher once sent a note home to my mom telling her that I was "as lazy as a yard dog." She said that because I was very self-conscious in first grade because of how slowly I finished my work (I was usually the last one) and so I would get my work, start working on it, and then when I thought no one was looking I stuck it under my desk. My strategy failed miserably when I got my report card. Interestingly enough, when I found out her words later on in life, they motivated me to be a better student than I had been, and I ended up with two master's degrees.

Don't listen to what the world says you are. Listen to what God says you are.

Thanks so much, SoJ, for this heartfelt interview. I hope some people out there needing inspiration do contact you. It would be a great thing to happen because of this thread.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Daddy

Broccoli

The sound of my wife and children laughing.

A school bell ringing.

My youngest son, Micah, leaning in to give me a kiss and hug before I left home this morning.

Child of God

My home and my Kindle Fire

Loved, without a doubt.

Being a father

Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ktoyou

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: So, ktoyou, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Ktoyou: I did not know what to expect here. I ran some way out groups in the past past and did not think my blunt forceful attitude would go over well. The name means K to you, or just call me K for now and it began on P&P some years back.

How did you find TOL?

I was looking for some definitive Christian stance, where it was not so sugar coated. I wanted one without that 'friendly moderator' who says, " I just do not think this is the group for you", closed.

Why not fight it out, see where it leads?

Then I began to like the "big show" to Knight's approach and his strange tales of creepiness, which led him to foundingTOL. I like that story and it may be exaggerated, but it conveys his feelings, which i agree with. In some ways, he is much like a strong son to me. He has guts and I like that!

This one is by far the best christian forum, although there are other good forums out there, some more serious, some just plain crazy where it takes wit to play the game and the game is apt!

Like bybee, you have somewhat of a matriarchal role on TOL. There are often new members who you have criticized for their behavior, and rightly so. If you could offer any advice for a new member of the forum, what would you say to them?

Just do not come into any internet forum and try to make it your own little space, that is weird! You have to get to know the members, then decide if you like it.

I do not see any sense in being the fool, yet if that is your bag, well, then it is.

You have to live life in the real world to have confidence. No one makes that up as a character, as there is always some of the real 'you' there, you cannot hide all of you. So, be real in that sense, or most will think you are not worth the time to get to know.

Ha, now that is personal! I do have many legal ties and still do business, not that I am ashamed of this, but it is easily misunderstood. Besides, I am here for what I do here, not there.

You mean, to give away, or use it as moot? I would still buy things for myself and yes, I would help many, then I have to question the following, as it is true. I am very controlling and some are better off without being tied to me. Most persons need to find their own inner strength, more than just going out and having someone buy security for them.

I suppose now, I would appreciate having studied the life sciences, maybe be one who finds the cure to my illness. Along with so many other illnesses. I guess I never thought about it much until it happened to me!

HVC. I guess it would sound better, had I said cancer, but why lie?

What color is your room?

My walls are a spry off white. I have one mainly in sage green and one like a little girl's room, then a guest room I never use. This one, it has antique white furniture, reds trimmings and lots of things the color pink.

For cars, I like the older Cadillacs. For clothes, I like all the high fashion, big names, although I wear less now. Mainly, I have many shoes all made in Italy!

For electronics, I go to audiogon, type in ARC, BAT, Krell, Ayron, and Esoteric. I have a Oppo, Bluray with Denon for HT with outboard Anthem amplifier on the front speakers.

I used to like Macs, but now I like BAT. VTL are better and the same may be so with ARC, but their preamps shine. Threshold was one of the best in the past for SS, not tube.

I am more of a conservative, moire classical liberal, or libertarian, but not like the super rich who control most of what is going on in the world today. The real war is between the super rich and the rich. The rest is all baloney, packaged and sold to the media.

You list as a Christian and we have some new members on the forum that may not be "in the know" about your story of faith. Can you share with us the story of your relationship with Christ?

I believe that the material world only goes so far, or you may only go so far in life. Then, even if you had the ability to rule all, you would never be content. To find your humanity, one must find one's humility and that is best done in Christ. He is the real light, even if you do not believe in an afterlife, as that is self-satisfying. You would be more happy having Christ in your life. This says it all.

As we all know, you have had your battles with your health. It is a blessing to have you among us as always, so if you could make one statement to the TOL community as a whole, what would you say to us?

Never pity me, on this. I respect all persons for what they are able to do, if they find their own inner strength. You do not have to be the great leader of the material, or spiritual, to find inner peace. We all have some illness we deal with; I had it easy for most of my life, now it hurts. I think it has made me stronger and a better person.

This illness by far! I had it way too easy in school, it was never a challenge for me. Work came as easy and I never had to fight my way from the bottom, yet I do admire that in people who have. Same with life, my kids were easy by most standards, I was lucky in many ways.

Most of my years from late adolescence, to when I became ill. Even my childhood was fairly good, but very strict by today's standards! Had I done what some do today, well, I would not be.

That some, more than I presume, did realise I am not so traditional. Look at some of the music I like? I am not as much a square as some assume.

The neat part is that K on TOL is actually less hard than I am in person. I always had to be that way, be able to push my way though. Now, I do not need this and that may be the work of God?

That it is not about being so well read, heck, I did that to the nth degree. That is just another pat on your back, or an insecurity. Get the fake clothes off and bare yourself knowing all feel just as much if not even more insecure!

There is no shame in truly belonging to God. You only need to seek and have faith to find Grace. If not, then you have what some talk about, the unpardonable sin, because you see it and know. Iit makes you evil to be so independent and isolated. Be a friend, not a foe, less educated persons taught me this most important lesson. I know it is the truth. Evil is turning your back on others and the Holy Spirit will show you how not to have this problem anymore.

Thank you K for sharing all your wisdom and experience with us tonight. It was a blessing to share in this with you.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

phlegmatic

pathétique

le chanteur de soprano

(soprano singer)

buzz saw? Motor hum sound, buzzy sound???

I write le letter à mon ami et sens malenky?

(The letter I wrote to my friend and well meaning male in ky)

Aimer la nuit

(love the night)

Dies, kann ich nicht sagen, Vereinigten Staaten, wenn es Samtdunkelheit ist Vous comprend ?

This, I can not say, the United States if it is covered in velvet darkness, you understand?

Creusez-vous ? Je dis meurs de la nuit de velours trouve le contentement dans lequel est au-delà est ce que semble être l'obstruction, quand est la supposition ! Vous l'avez mis grand, vous conduisez le Maserati, la grande peinture de lèvre de rouge l'un ne fait pas de différence, qui un enterré dans la terre, pas vraiment si mauvais, pourquoi ne pas avoir la vie? L'obscurité de velours est le même comme la paix intérieure.

(You understand? I say the velvet of the night is contentment which is beyond what appears to be obstruction, when it is the assumption! The dark velvet is the same as inner peace.)

I say, you are not so bad if you like material, as long as you do not replace it with love.

It is always better to be la petite cheri ! I say better to love, not be loved, you best be one with love ! Respected is something you take! No one loves you for it really when you take. Vous seldom love from whom you take! Life is two sides, coming and going, loving and hating, being and going away.

I am me, but you no like? You now know me, so I am a bit of a curve, acquired taste, yet I amour, mon cher ! Be this my decree, or degree, what does that mean? If no one loves, then what is the value? Your answer, to love and be loved, to be touched by someone.

Vous devez appréhender, vous devez spéculer, ce qu'est demandé est être abandonné, si vous n'embrassez pas quelles découvertes vous ! You like me? I had all the ages, all the colours.

(You must understand, you have to speculate, what is sought to be abandoned, if you do not kiss what you have found)
    Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guyver

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: So, Guyver, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Guyver is a nickname my cousin gave me. I guess I’m what you’d call an outdoorsman. I used to, and still do a lot of hiking, backpacking, camping, dirt biking, and just being in the woods. Over the years I developed little techniques and stuff, and one of them is rigging stuff up with parachute cord, and duct tape of course!! Haha. So, that’s why I got the name

How did you find TOL?

I spent a few years on another very popular forum debating God’s existence, and arguing in favor of Creationism against atheists, skeptics, agnostics, evolutionists, etc. Finally, I just got tired of so much negativity and hatred toward truth that I looked for a new place. That’s when I found TOL. It wasn’t so much the people I was debating with that were unpleasant….it was just all the God haters in that place in general that got to me.

Like most everyone else around here, I think TOL is great. I love the format and find it much better than most. Easier to read, navigate, etc. And I love some of the features here like the rep thing.

TOL, Net Bible, NFL.com, 1611 KJV, KJV non1611 Version, NKJV, Young’s Literal Translation, Greek and Hebrew Interlinear, On Video.org, my motorcycle group forum, and a couple of other forums and places, and Photobucket.

I would use it for spending and giving away. I would love to have some property in the mountains with a river or creek on it…where I could build a wilderness retreat. I would also buy some fast cars and a couple more motorcycles. I’ve always been very fond of the Porsche 911sc but never owned one. But, in general I’m a car and motorcycle nut.

Anti-gravity propulsion.

Stupidity….no, violence….death? I don’t know. We’re all going to die someday.

What color is your room?

Mainly hunter green. It's a custom color I used when I remodeled the room and bathroom a few years ago.

No, but I tend to favor things that cost alot.

Apolitical. I have no confidence in the government. I used to be what you would consider an extreme conservative. But, I’m way too conservative for the Republican Party….so I do vote…but I don’t believe it does much good.

You list as a Christian and you are relatively new to the forum. For those who have taken breaks or new folk, can you describe your journey in faith to us?

Jesus called me when I was seventeen. I responded to his call and have been with him ever since….or I should say that he’s been with me ever since. Thank God for his mercy and grace.

Like bybee, you take a more understanding and less vulgar approach to rebuking than some you have criticized. If you could make one statement to the fellow brethern that you do believe are too harsh, or vulgar, what would you say to them?

Glorify God with your words whenever possible. That’s my advice…and I don’t think corrupt communication is glorifying to God, or edifying to your fellow man.

Oh man…..that’s a big question. There’s so much. For me, it was coming to the realization that the Bible is not inerrant. That was a toughie for me. I pretty much had an existential meltdown over it.

Wow! Another toughie! The very happiest? That is so hard to say. There have been so many joyous and happy moments in my life it’s hard to pick just one. The day I got saved….the days my sons we born…the day I married my wife….the day I caught big air on my 400 in the Pismo Dunes….the day I played my first big rock concert with a Christian Band in front of thousands of people in my hometown….I could go on and on. Once I saved a little girl from drowning. That was a big deal to me.

Sheezzz….I’m allergic to cats, and afraid of snakes and grizzly bears. I’ve written a novel, climbed a mountain called El Conquistador with no ropes, used to be on the Army Boxing Team, and played several hundred rock shows as a bass and guitar player. I have an aquarium in my office that has African Cichlids in it.

God is good.

Thank you (mac)Guyver for sharing this fun and quite interesting interview with us.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Unfathomable.

gimmee

Little kids happy feet running down the hallway in their pj's sound

My neighbor's dog sounds. I would describe it as sort of a screaming, whining, being disemboweled and never stops sound. I would like to shoot that dog with a high powered rifle. But, that wouldn't be right.

This list.

Only a man.

The Bible and a multi-tool.

Loved.

Being a good dad.

I'm in repair. I'm not together but I'm getting there. Thanks John Mayer.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Round Two Index:

22. chickenman

23. noguru

24. PureX

25. MrDeets

26. rexlunae

27. Random

28. TomO

29. tambora

30. Nang

31. vegascowboy

32. Psalmist

33. Maximeee

34. MrRadish

35. MaryContrary

36. Student X

37. Lon

38. Angel4Truth

39. Buzzword

40. John Mortimer

41. graceandpeace

42. SOZO
    Last edited by Town Heretic; April 9th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

chickenman (AKA: Randy)

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    Randy: Hi, Quincy. I didn't know I was going to get interviewed. But this is cool. Glad to participate.

James: Well, I had thought you requested one, when you posted the thumbs up in our discussion thread. My apologies if it seemed like I was forcing the issues . Glad you are taking part in this chickenman!

So, chickenman, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Randy: I used to listen to Chickenman re-runs on the radio when I was eating breakfast before school (elementary, I think). It was a stupid, but good show (back then). I've just hung onto it over the years for whatever reason.

I actually found TOL in the very early years of the site and had a different username, then. I can't remember, but I believe it was just my last name (arendell).

How did you find TOL?

I don't remember exactly. I believe it coincided with me becoming a MidActs Dispensationalist in 1997. I was probably looking around for like-minded believers and came across the site (a very simplistic version of what we have today). Knight and I interacted a few times back then about our mutual beliefs (though he probably doesn't recall). I must have taken off for a while, then came back and joined as Chickenman in 1996.

Since that fateful day, at the forming of an inseparable union between Chickenman and TOL, the lives of literally one's, if not five's, of humans have been irreversibly changed.

I've not participated in too many. I spent a little time on The Advancement of Grace for theological discussions. Other than than, I just pop into other forums when I have a need (ubuntu, plumbing, etc.). So I can't really give a fair comparison. From the little I've seen, though, there's no comparison. No forum that I have personally seen (again, very limited) draws the crowd we do and keeps people coming back. It seems to me that this is truly the most interesting community on the internet.

I don't have many favorites. But here's what I do have on my Links bar:

• Dilbert
    • ESPN
    • Facebook
    • TOL
    • CapitalOne
    • ChaseBank
    • Yahoo
    • Google
    • WorldClient (my business email portal)
    • Anytime Fitness (I own a couple of franchises)

My daily internet routine is: 1) Dilbert, 2) ESPN, 3) Facebook, 4) TOL (where I then stay)

The easy part is: I'd pay off my debt and then sock a chunk away for my 3 daughters' weddings. After that, I'd find an appropriate ministry to support. I'm not sure which one, but it would be one that is intent on spreading the gospel and the message of grace. Not an overseas missions group, necessarily. Right here in our country are people who don't know the gospel and don't understand grace. I like to see and participate in ministries that have that interest.

I'm so uncreative that I can't even think of a cool new invention. Maybe a car that runs on coal. Or would that be going in the wrong direction?

Seriously, I just don't know. My wife is the creative one who has come up with many inventions (in her head). So maybe you can interview her, next.

Is it sad that I've never thought about this? I don't know. Cancer? There are a lot of horrible ones out there. Any one will do. I'd rather the Lord just go ahead and bring to closure His plans for the body of Christ and the world. The sooner, the better. Any disease will be irrelevant, then.

What color is your room?

Ummm...
    Beige...ish?

The only material things I really enjoy are watches. I love Invicta watches.

I could care less about clothing brands. Shoes: whatever is comfortable.

I drive a Ford F-150 Supercrew that I love. If I had to buy another, I'd by another Ford, only because I've had a great experience with it.

Electronic: I have an IPhone and IPad. Other than those, I've never owned an Apple product. But because of their performance and what I've heard overwhelmingly from others, I'd buy Apple for my next computer.

Conservative. Sickened that so many people put their faith in a party or a man. I vote, but I vote independently of an party. I can't imagine ever voting Democrat, because their position on abortion is disgusting. I will be hard-pressed to vote most Republicans, because they have proven themselves to be mostly liars when it comes to abortion (give lip service to "life begins at conception", but then make exceptions for rape, sign bills funding abortion, etc.). Right now, I'm a registered Constitution Party member. But I won't vote along party lines just for the sake of that. I either vote for the right person, regardless of party line, or I don't vote.

All that said, I don't believe there is much hope for our nation. I know that sounds depressingly pessimistic to many, but I believe it's a reality. Things will not get better until the Lord makes them better. And since he's allowing the god of this world to have his way for now, then that won't happen until He returns and personally puts an end to all wickedness. I'm a very positive person, but not because of any hope for our earthly future. I'm a very happy and positive person because I know that what we experience here on this earth pales in comparison to that of our eternal inheritance...that which has an eternal weight of glory. So don't take my earlier statement as making me a negative person. Those who know me personally know where my heart is.

You list as a Christian, and like many on here your view of it is sometimes at odds with another members. If you could make one statement to your brethren that find themselves at disagreement with you, what would you say to them?

You're never to old to see the light and turn MAD.

What would like you to say to the TOL community as a whole, including the pagans and non-believers?

For pagans/unbelievers: Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose again. Trust that completely. There is nothing you can ever do to repay the Lord for His incredible gift to you. So just trust Him. Your debt has been fully paid. Accept it, and trust Him.

For believers: Renew your minds daily with the reading of God's word, believing what you read. You're dead to sin, even when you don't feel like. So reckon it to be true, trust God's word, and live a life of thankfulness for the fact that you are now and forever dead to sin, forever righteous, holy and blameless in His eyes. You cannot repay him. So don't try. Don't live your lives as if you owe a debt; live a life of thankfulness.

I was all but kicked out of a church that I had been an integral part of for over 8 years. They didn't like my differences, so they did lousy things to shut me up and to manipulate a lot of old friends into rejecting me. It worked. And I still have a hard time dealing with it, a few years later. I regularly had to tell myself: "Paul was stoned and persecuted relentlessly, yet he rejoiced in it. What I'm going through is a joke compared to that. If he can endure that with rejoicing, then I can surely deal with this that amounts to only an inconvenience in comparison."

I strongly recommend II Corinthians (multiple readings) for anyone that is facing any trial of any measure. Paul's perspective on his own suffering is mind-blowing and so inspiring. II Cor. My favorite book of the bible.

I've had several incredible moments. Marriage to my awesome wife. Birth of my 3 girls. Salvation. I'm going to highlight a moment in my life that was a different type of amazing, though, just to be different.

I was a drunk in high school and early college. Not an alcoholic. I could go without whenever and for however long I wanted. I just truly loved getting drunk, getting over a hangover, and doing it again with my buddies. When I was saved in early '94, I began attending a very legalistic (I didn't know that at the time) Southern Baptist church. Drinking, among other things, was a terrible sin. So of course, believing that, I quit drinking. 4 years later, I was in a Chicago O'Hare airport hotel overnight. They had a mini-bar, stocked with beer (my drunken days were from beer, not anything else). During the previous several months (year or so, maybe), I had begun to study the bible on my own (as opposed to trying to justify Southern Baptist doctrine) and began seeing what grace was all about. I now knew that dancing, R-rated movies, etc were not inherently sinful things. I now knew that drinking was not sinful.

So as I looked at the beer in that mini-bar, I said to myself: "Man...I used to love this stuff. I know it's okay, now. Let's give it a shot."

6 beers later, I was horribly drunk. After not having had a drop in 4+ years, I had seriously overdone it and was wasted. I woke up the next morning with the worst headache of my life. Had I done that a couple years prior, I would have been guilt-ridden, avoided prayer for a time, moped around for sinning so horribly. But after having learned grace, I was able to get on my knees and pray to the Lord. I said to Him: "God, I'm an idiot. I'm so sorry I did such a stupid thing. Thank you that I've already been forgiven and that this doesn't hurt my relationship with you. Thank you for loving me, despite my stupidities." I experienced grace then - the grace that I had been learning about - like never before. That was an amazing moment in my life.

I used to be a college cheerleader. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were the same cheerleading squad. Though we weren't partners, we stunted together all the time and were very good. We were flown to San Diego to be in a collegiate partner stunt competition. We were both very good, but we were both very nervous and bombed really badly on TV (ESPN).

Also as a cheerleader, Jerry Lewis' little daughter ran away from me on live TV during the MDA Telethon (we had just performed on the show).

Also, I'm from Ork.

To my brothers and sisters in Christ: Our old man has been crucified. Stop acting like he's still alive.

Thank you Randy for be so open and candid with us. I hope everyone enjoys reading what you shared today.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Don't have one.

Don't have a single word that is my least favorite. But I HATE hearing, "I can't".

"DADDEEEEE!!!"

Like TH and AMR, the telephone ringing.

Humbler, than-TH, by-a-longshot

Seriously: Laid-back, analytical, easy, competitive, can't-count

1) My IPad (Bible, utilities, etc.); 2) IPad power cord

Loved. Imagine if our relationship with our Lord depended upon His respect for us. YIKES!

Marrying my wife. Nothing on earth, for me, compares to that.

To be honest, I don't dwell on something that I want to be one day. So this is hard to answer. What's more important to me is knowing who I am in Christ. Being clothed with Christ, I am a 10 in the Father's eyes.

If I have to do this, then I can only say that I'm content with the man that I am. Should I be better? Sure, I guess. How about...8??

Thanks for this opportunity, Quincy and TH. Great idea!

You are most welcome, chickenman. I'm sure everyone has enjoyed your contribution as it was quite inspiring

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

noguru

The Interview:
    Spoiler

James: So, noguru, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

The Van Morrison song "In The Garden". Which speaks of a return to innocence that I believe Jesus prescribed for his followers.

How did you find TOL?

From another Creation/Evolution forum.

On the top of the list.

Work (IT) related sites. Science and history sites. Music sites....

To invest in a business and society.

Free environmentaly safe energy.

Alzheimer's

What color is your room?

Off-white.

No.

You, like zoo22, have shown that you are a huge rock fan. What are your favorite bands, genres and live performances?

Grateful Dead, Van Morrison, The Neville Brothers, Delbert McClinton, Santana,Frank Zappa, Miles Davis & John Coltrane, Sam Cooke, Jethro Tull, Howlin Wolf.

I think there is good music in all genres. But rock, blues, black gospel, funk, jazz, reggae, bluegrass, folk and ragtime make the top of my list for components

Performances by the first 6 in that list.

Militant moderate.

You list as a Christian, yet you have a very strong foundation in modern science. What is the thought behind marrying both in your mind, when in most cases people attempt to segregate them?

I'm not overly concerned with what most people think or decide to do, unless it has to do with sales for my business. At any rate, there is a motto I follow that inspires me in life.

"It is better to understand, than to be understood."

For the doubters of scientific discovery, what would you say to them to defend science?

"It's your loss."

I am in its midst right now. Caring for my mother who has Alzheimer's.

Birth.

Curried goat with boiled bananas is my favorite West Indian dish, I don't know.

A wise man learns more from a fool, than a fool learns from a wise man.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

hippopotamus (in a Swedish accent).

detour (when there is already lots of traffic)

Waves at the ocean.

Someone experiencing excruciating pain.

Thinking about all the possible answers to this question.

Athletic, humurous, compassionate.

My word and my gonads, and I won't break either of them for noboby.

Respected.

Learning how to surpass mediocrity.

9, I will never hit ten because there is always be something to improve or something new to learn.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PureX

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, PureX, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screen name?

PureX: Most people think it's from the laundry soap, but actually it was the name on a water cooler that I used to have back when I first visited TOL. It seemed to make sense since I'm not a religious Christian.

How did you find TOL?

I think I just searched "theology chat".

It seems to have found the right mix of free speech and necessary oversight. But I can't compare it as it's the only such site I currently visit. I have visited others in years past and they either lost their 'fire' or imploded from adolescent bickering.

Like many on here, you have taken breaks from the forum at times. What happens to make you take a break?

I've had to stop participating here in years past because it got too nasty. There was no discussion, just insults and pointless bans. But I have to say I'm impressed with how well it seems to be working, now, and the credit doesn't go just to Knight, but to everyone, here.

Not all that much: The Daily Show, The Maddow Show, Boat Design, Facebook, YouTube, Apollo Duck, and Scruton Marine.

A money pump. I'd set up a trust and use the profits to live, travel, and share.

Probably a time machine. But it would be hard to resist the temptation to 'correct' some things.

Addiction. Lots of diseases will kill you, but addictions make you kill yourself. And they punish you and everyone you love in the process.

What color is your room?

Wood. Lots of wood.

I'm a loyal Mac user.

I'm a socialist. I wish there were a socialist party. We need to wake up in this country and realize that the purpose of government, commerce, religion, education, money, all of these things, is to serve the society in which they exist, not the other way around.

You list as a Christian Other, but have mentioned in threads that you take a minimalist but eclectic view on spirituality. How do you view your faith?

I am a taoist Christian. That's not easy to explain in a sentence or two. I have chosen to believe in the reality of Christ as I have experienced it, rather than in any religion. Taoism, too, is about aligning oneself with the 'way' being is manifested in our reality. So for me, these are complimentary paths.

Were you always one of the faithful?

I had a direct experience of "God" when I was a small child. I was then raised Catholic but rejected religion when I came of age. And now I'm an 'agnostic theist'. I realize this all may seem sort of confusing to people, but ... whatever.

I was a hard core alcoholic for many years. I learned to blame everything on everyone else as an excuse for my being drunk all the time. Hitting 'bottom', and having to accept responsibility for who I had become and what I had done to my life and to others was the hardest thing I've ever had to face.

There isn't one. I don't live by those extremes, anymore. I'm truly pleased, grateful, and joyous to wake up every morning and not be hung over or riddled with shame and guilt for what I might have done the night before. I try to take whatever the day brings in stride and consider it all part of the adventure of being alive.

In the real world, people are always surprised to find out that I have a master's degree in fine art and am somewhat well-read and have traveled a little. They look at me and see a 'Ralph Cramden' kind of guy.

But on-line, all you folks see is what I write, so you all might not be so surprised. Strange that the internet may give a more accurate representation of me than real life.

Sure, here it is: doubt is good, doubt is necessary to our sanity, and doubt is the ground from which faith springs. Show me a "true believer" (a man who does not doubt his own beliefs) and I'll show you a fool.

Everyone likes to be asked what they think. I appreciate your interest.

And I appreciate your candid answers and thank you so much for taking the time to share a part of your life with us today.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

"Logos" To understand what it means is to understand a lot.

I can't think of one.

The sound of a Hammond B3 in the hands of a really good musician, like jimmy Smith.

Show tunes drive me up a wall.

I heard a really funny line in a movie I watched last night, but it's not appropriate for me to tell it, here. It had me laughing for a while, though.

Only three words?

7. If you were allowed to retain only two possessions what would they be?

The two things it would be hard to live without where I am right now is a car and a computer.

Can't do one without the other. So fortunately, we'll never have to choose.

Getting and staying sober.

I don't think of it that way. Each day, each hour, each circumstance, is a chance to be who I was meant to be; which is an expressions of, and recipient of God's love. My job is to do the best I can at being that. Judgement isn't my place.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MrDeets

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    So, MrDeets, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Well, my last name is Deets, and I am the man(most times) of the house.

How did you find TOL?

I randomly bumped into the term open theism while surfing the web, so I googled it, and saw the Battle Royale on said topic. I sniffed around the site under the name jmdeets for a couple of months, and then I joined.

The best, although it literally has no competition. Never been on any others. No need.

Youtube, TOL, FB, Wiki, a couple of gun sites, and hotmail.

Half to my church. Pay of debt with some, buy a mid sized house with cash, save the rest. Oh, and get tattoos.

A fool proof absolutely perfect and 100% flawless parenting manual.

Cancer. Cancer sucks.

What color is your room?

White

Levis jeans. Converse and vans shoes. Volcom or burton outerwear. Plus flannel shirts must be Goodwill name brand.

Right. Far right. Like ready for Texas to seceed right. Without Rick Perry.

You list as a Christian, and you are relatively a newcomer. For those in the community that may have not been around when you joined, or for those who have joined since, what is the story of your Christian faith?

Wow. Too keep it short, I was raised in church and church camps by strong, honest christian parents. Partied a but throughout high school in CA. My senior year a friend killed himself. I went off the deep end. Spent a year at Texas A&M and was introduced to Methamphetamine. Spent the next 2 years being a whore and a druggie, with all the junk that comes along. Realized I was about to die, and my 3 best friends helped me get free. One of them paid a bunch of drug debt off for me, and they sent me off to Texas. Spent 4 years whoring around and being a drug free drunk in texas. Moved back to CA just in time for one of my 3 best friends(the one who paid my debt) Charles Henson Blackwood to kill himself. After Chuck did his thing, I tried to drink myself to death for 5 months. My parents flew out to CA(I was 24) and literally brought me to Texas, where I got in the oilfield and counselling. Met my wife, and tried real hard to screw that up. We made it till 2009 when I was laid off for 9 months. Somewhere in the middle of that period I heard a still, small voice calling me home. I got into Romans. The Lord gave me a job in Houston area near an awesome church, and in October of 2009, I submitted myself to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Been here ever since!!

Would you like to share with us your view on your love of Metal?

I love metal. Not little girl metal like Metallica(after the black album. Before that they titans among us mere mortals). Bands like The Black Dahlia Murder, Lamb of God, All Shall Perish, At The Gates, etc. Fantastic musical ability, but the lyrical content is no bueno. After my submission to the Lord Jesus Christ, those bands began being not as interesting to me. Now, I mostly listen to Christian metal(As I Lay Dying, War of Ages, For Today, etc) or a band called Thrice, or Praise and Worship.

The suicide of my best friend and my diagnosis with multiple myeloma(bone marrow cancer).

I have 3. The day my wife accepted Christ as Lord and Saviour. The day she sent me a picture of my 4 year old Grayson on his knees praying for me, and when my 2 year old started asking to pray for supper after his brother.

With all my tattoos and scary music, I regularly tear up with gratitude and amazement at what Jesus Christ has done in my life and for it, and I also regularly tear up with love and emotion for my wife and kids. When it comes to my family, and my Lord Jesus, I am extremely emotional.

NEVER underestimate shame. The accuser will use it to hold your chin to your chest so you cannot see that Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords is reaching out to you. Shame has been the biggest enemy in my life and in my family's lives.

Thanks Q, for the interview. I am absolutely an open book if you or anyone need clarification or has more questions.

Thank you MrDeets. I believe many people will understand you in a new way now and I do hope some folks approach you on the material you discussed.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Grace

Shame

My sons laughing.

The sound my wife makes when I've frustrated her... its a sigh growl mix.

My 2 sons playing on a little cat/piano/karaoke machine.

Passionate. Humble. Entertaining.

My guitar and my XD 9.

Loved.

So far- raising a family under the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ. Brought my wife to know Him, and my sons, ages 2 and 4 already love to pray!!

10 in Gods eyes, about a 7 in my own.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

rexlunae

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, rexlunae, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

I went by Rex Lunae in Latin class in high school. I've used it online for almost sixteen years.

How did you find TOL?

I used to post of the forums for the Rational Response Squad. Someone there mentioned it, and I started posting here. TOL appealed to my desire to have an opponent.

TOL has a better diversity, and it honestly treats opposition perspectives pretty well. And the fact that there are so many available opponents here stands as a positive trait to me.

Technical documentation, political discussion, science blogs and articles, geek humor.

I would invest all of it.

A time machine. I'd love to see the future.

I'm gonna buck the trend and say heart disease, in part because so many people already want to cure cancer.

What color is your room?

White, with dark natural wood furniture. I didn't pick the paint.

Not really. There are a few brands I avoid, like Chrysler.

How would you describe your political view?

Non-dogmatic. I'm not really very moderate, but I believe in the process that involves actually talking to people rather than slinging slogans at each other.

You list as an atheist. Have you always considered yourself an atheist?

No. I was a Christian from about age thirteen until twenty. Prior to that, my opinion wasn't well-developed enough to give a name to, although I was raised Lutheran from a young age.

Many wonder why atheists take part on forums such as TOL. What would be your answer to them?

Do you hunt for deer in the woods, or the city park? I suppose in some ways I enjoy being the opposition.

In some posts, you have mentioned pantheism being an interesting concept. What about pantheism do you find intriguing?

It's mostly just that some definitions of pantheism are pretty close to, or difficult to distinguish from, atheism.

I think the greatest test so far has been watching my grandmother decline. It's a long, excruciating slide into the abyss that imitates death more every day.

That's a tough one. I've had a number of happy moments, but none that really rise to the level of the things people point out. I'm hoping some of those things are still ahead for me.

- I'm extremely shy. Timid, perhaps.
    - I'm often extremely disorganized (that may not surprise some of you)
    - I count several Christians and Jews among my closest friends.

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of reason derived wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

The mistake I see the most, from all sides, it getting too emotionally involved in the arguments that take place here. Make truth the goal, instead of victory, and don't be the first to resort to insult.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Indubitable.

ooze

Laughter.

Crying.

A friend of mine trying to flirt with a waitress, learning that she was in a class with him.

Skeptical, pragmatic, introvert.

My phone and my car.

8. Is it better to be loved or respected?

Loved. But I think in both cases, you have to chose whose opinion you care about.

That's a hard question. There are things that I'm proud of, but I haven't really figured out what I want entirely, so it feels cheap to crown a proudest at the moment.

I'm gonna go with four. I mean, I don't have any robotic limbs yet.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Random

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, Random, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Random: Random was the name of the character I used when I played Dungeons and Dragons. He was by far one of my favorites, so I decided to use his name as a my username.

Like many others, you have stuck with the same avatar for quite some time. What is your avatar of and what does it mean to you?

My avatar is from the game Baldur's Gate which was produced by Black Isle Studios. I like it because it makes me feel like I'm playing BG when I post here. It's a nostalgia thing.

How did you find TOL?

I go to Denver Bible Church and know the founder. Several of my friends were into it, so I decided to give it a go about five years ago.

By far it is one of the best sites. To me what makes it stand out is the degree of traffic and participation. This allows for friendships to develop. Something I don't think you get as much on other Bible forums.

TOL, Amazon, Wikipedia, Tigerdirect, Oxford English Dictionary, and a few other theology sites.

Figure out how much of it I really need and give the rest away. I would also use it to help my family out and pay off their debts.

What are some of your favorite musicians?

Mozart, Bach, Two Steps From Hell to name a few.

Do you have a hobby you are particularly fond of?

Creative writing and Bible study. I am currently working on a novel that is modern rendition of Job. It is also loosely based off my own story.

Some kind of device that would implant languages in your head. Similar to the Matrix only it wouldn't require a large metal jack to be inserted into your brain.

Cancer.

What color is your room?

A deep forest green. Not my choice, but I won't complain.

Not really.

Deeply conservative.

You list as a Christian, for many who are new and for those who may want an update, would you like to share your story of faith with us?

I came to know Christ when I was four and have never strayed from my faith. I don't have the typical I was a rebellious teen who became an atheist and hated God story. My testimony is different in that regard. Rather I was hated and abused because of my love for God. For me it was a matter of never giving in.

Everything that happened in my 11th Grade year of High School. Towards the end I came very close to suicide. I guess you could say that was the final test for me.

The birth of my sister.

I am an open theist who gets along well with Calvinists

That no matter what happens, God can always bring good from the evil happens in our lives. Like the potter who shapes the clay.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

Apotheosis

"choice" as in choice wine.

The noises the tiles make in Mahjong when you match them correctly.

A cell phone in a movie theater.

A funny youtube video.

Persistent, vigilant, calm.

My Bible and laptop.

Loved

9.What is the proudest accomplishment of your life?

My knowledge of the Bible.

(Pending)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TomO

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, TomO, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

TomO: I'm a fantastically original and creative individual so I used my name.

Back when I first started stalking about message boards and such I actually used my full name, needless to say that's not something I do anymore.

Thank you

You have consistently shown good taste in your forum avatars. What is the secret to your selection process?

Well....I think there are some people who would dispute the assertion that my avatars are consistently in "good taste" but lets' just say I try to keep them interesting.
    I like to use them to make statements....not always important or worth while statements, but statements nonetheless.

How did you find TOL?

From going to and fro in the Internetz, and from walking up and down in it.
    The first message board format site I belonged to was called FaithForum. This is going back to the late 90's. It was a site out of England and was alot like this one in that the mods pretty much let things roll. I learned an awful lot and got addicted to it. Soon enough though management changed and the new crop of mods were a total pain in the neck. They even changed the format enough that it was very annoying to me. Soooo I moved on. I belonged to bunches of different sites between then and 2006 when I found TOL. I usually got banned from the other sites and then moved on to another. Every other site struck me as an insipid hideaway for people who were only interested in promoting their own preconcived notions. Some were so incedibly lame they gagged me by their very presence. To this day Doll-Like Avatars with Huge Eyes make me break out in a cold sweat.
    Then...I found TOL...quite by accident. Perhaps it finally moved high enough in the Google hit range that I finally noticed it. All I know is that since I found TOL I've been much better.

Far and away the best....no question.

Well...it depends on which computer but pretty much a huge conglomeration of message boards, image boards, various reference sites. It's kind of hard to pinpoint. I'm really all over the Internet.

I would invest heavily in a local Womens Shelter (my wife volunteers as the Asst. Director). Eliminate the rest of my debt...buy a bigger house..put a big chunk away for retirement. Nothing exciting. I'm a rather boring person.

A limitless, free, environmentally friendly, souce of power.

Cancer (in all forms).

What color is your room?

Which one...I own my house, they are all my rooms.

The one you are in.

The color of awesome

(editorial privileges )

Not really...I don't care who makes something as long as it is what "I want/need".

To the right of center....with a definete Libertarian penumbra

You list as a Christian. For the new folk who may not be aware of you story of faith, could you share with us how you come to have a relationship with Christ?

Well...After being a very happy New Age type for most of my life. I began having conversations about religion (I had done extensive study on them all over the years) with my room-mate. She was a rather broken young woman who believed totally and completely in Christ. The problem was that she was a lesbian who had had problems on and off with drugs and alcohol. Being as she was raised in a Faith that was heavily works based she was sure that she was Hell-Bound. We would talk for hours with her clinging grimly to what she considered "the Truth" in spite of what the outcome of this meant for her.
    Eventually she got me to attend a Church with her and as I was sitting there I came to Faith. Oddly enough, I wasn't really paying attention to the Service when it happened...it just happened. It was like a light switch being turned on...a sudden epiphany. The following years brought extensive and exhaustive Bible study and a winding road with many bumps along the way.

You have shown us you believe in co-existing with the different faiths and have often displayed understanding for other people who believe differently than yourself. Could you share some of your philosophy on how to approach other people?

You cannot make anyone believe anything. This being the case there is no point in being uncivil to each other or hating each other. I cannot take credit for my Faith so I see no point in being prideful of it. There was a time when I did not believe as I do.....every Christian can say this.
    All I can do is to speak the truth when I'm asked and let the chips fall where they may. That is the job of a witness; isn't it? Everything else is between the individual and their Creator...it has nothing to do with me.

Being a Step-Father

I honestly don't know....I'm not a very emotional person so I don't really know what to say. I mean; yeah...I've had happy moments but it's hard for me to put just one above the others.

I'm not now nor have I ever been in the Mafia.

Expectations can be very damaging things.

Thank you, TomO for sharing a bit about yourself this fine evening.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

"Yeah" Much like "dude" it can be used in so many different ways.

"Bar-B-Que" Don't get me wrong...I love to eat it but: Really people!?! What kind of abbreviation is that?!?! You drop one "e" so you can add 2 hyphens! This makes NO sense whatsoever!

My Grandson jabbering happily.

Anything which sounds expensive.

My Grandson trying ice cream for the first time.

Being an infant the only "tastes" he has had before this was formula and just recently he had started on green beans.

My wife gave him a little taste of soft serve vanilla when we were at the park. His eyes got real wide and he started bouncing up and down waving his little arms and legs around wanting more. It's kind of cool to see someone appreciate the small things of life so much because they are brand new. Being a somewhat jaded individual, it gives me a window into a perspective that I had forgotten existed.

Beyond short description

My Chuck Taylors and a pair of jeans. (Total public nudity does not sit well with me)

Loved

Making it this far (Hey...I told you I was boring).

Last edited by Town Heretic; February 4th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

tambora

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, tambora, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Sissy: My name is Sissy. (Well, actually, my name is Dana; but I have been called Sissy by my family and friends since I was born.)

The username “Sissy” had already been taken, so I used the name of one of the favorite horses I used to have.

How did you find TOL?

I was invited by another member who also posted on another site I was on.

I rank it one of the best. It let’s you express yourself as you would in real life (not too restrictive, but still has a sense of a somewhat controlled atmosphere.) Reminds me of something like a school reunion. A diverse group with diverse personalities and views, where any conversation topic will draw some humor, some sadness, some contention, and some agreement. And of course, some witty sarcasm thrown in!

TOL, local newspaper link (mainly for grocery ads), my yahoo e-mail, and a folder with links to various bible versions.

I would buy land. They don’t make any more of that.

And the one thing that I would splurge on myself would be a large dinning room table.
    Used to have one that the whole family could sit at when we gathered (such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and birthdays.)
    I miss that.

A safe insecticide that actually killed an entire mound of fire ants!!!!

I would choose cancer. It effects the body in so many ways and areas. And it doesn’t discriminate race, gender, or age.

What color is your room?

A light peach color with white trim.

No. But I do tend to steer away from new brands until they have proven themselves.

Conservative.
    I want less government, less restrictions, and less laws

You list as a Christian, can you share with us what the Gospel means to you?

Saved by grace.
    The death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ that brought dead men to life.

Have you always been a Christian?

Yes.

If you could make one statement to the TOL Christian brethern regarding faith, what would you say?

That mercy trumps law every single time.

The death of my husband, Walter. It was the biggest adjustment I have ever had to make.
    We raised 3 wonderful children together, and had one child stillborn.
    But he did not live to see any of his grandchildren born.

He called me his precious gift from God, and loved me beyond my wildest dreams.

When I would get worried or upset over something, he would take me in his arms and whisper, “I got ya, baby. Everything’s gonna be alright”; and all my worries would just melt away.
    I miss that.

When Walter asked me to be his bride.

Nothing really.
    I’ve always considered myself average and common.
    No shame in being average and common.
    No shame at all

Life is fragile; handle with prayer.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

The word “freedom” always makes me tingle.

Can’t say on this public forum.

A rainstorm with a low rumbling thunder.

The moans and groans of someone in pain.

This interview.

Satisfied. Lighthearted. Hopeful.

Bible and a pair of glasses.

Loved.

There has been nothing else that I could even compare to being a wife and a mother.

I’m a child of God.
    What could possibly top that!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nang

The Interview:
    Spoiler
    James: So, Nang, let’s start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Nang is a nickname given to me by one of my granddaughters several years ago. It is an acronym for “Not A Normal Grandma.” Unfortunately it was a joke that stuck and now my family and closest friends call me “Nang.” My real name is Ronda.

I was married young, and became a mother at a young age, and became a young granddmother the first time at the age of 46. Myself, daughter, and granddaughters are all trained professional ballet dancers/choreographrs/teachers, with our own ballet school . . . so whenever and wherever we 3 generations happen together, we always manage to configure any living room or kitchen into a “Swan Lake” scene of some sort, with all of us dancing around, hashing over or developing new choreography, criticizing each others’ techniques and/or just testing various brands of pointe shoes, etc.

Thus I am deemed “Not A Normal Grandma!”

How did you find TOL?

Through Clete posting and confronting my husband on another discussion group.

The noisiest and most active.

TOL harbors the largest variety of error and heretical views found anywhere on the web. At the same time, TOL has retained tolerance of a sound biblical gospel witness to the grace of Jesus Christ, so I find myself hanging in.

Quite a bit. I have folders for Discussion Groups
    Various Christian Bloggers
    Reference Sites
    Personal Busiiness & Misc.
    And many Shopping Sites!

In this order: charities, missions, educations and family needs, and investments.

Converting water into gasoline.

Alzheimers.

What color is your room?

Red/Gold

Hyundai Autos, UGG boots, Apple electronics

Discouraged Conservative.

You list as a Christian and like AMR, you express your views as being Calvinist. How do you explain Calvinism?

Calvinism emphasizes the Sovereignty of God, which progressively leads to the following doctrines: Eternal and Unconditional Decree of Election of souls to be redeemed by the Son of God - - -the establishment of the Everlasting Covenant of Redemption - - ->grace promised by God - - ->with Jesus Christ as Mediator of that grace and covenant - - ->through Christ incarnating as a Man to fulfill all righteousness - - ->and suffer a substitutional death on the cross in order to impute His righteousness to His redeemed children - - ->and resurrecting from death as their Surety of everlasting life in glory in Him.

This is summed up not only in the five doctrines of grace TULIP as AMR has already presented, but also in the Five Solas of the Reformed Faith:

Sola Gratia: Salvation from sin comes by the grace of God, alone.
    Solus Christus: Through the incarnation of the Son of God, Jesus Christ, alone.
    Sola Fide: Who worked justification (forgiveness) for His children, realized by the gift of faith, alone.
    Sola Scriptura: Revealed in the Holy Scriptures, alone.
    Soli Deo Gloria: All to the glory of God alone.

If you were to make one statment to express your defense of Calvinism to the many forum members who disagree with it, what would you say to them?

Calvinism is biblical, historical, and reasonable, which teaching does NOT deny the willful responsibility of the creature; but rather reveals the loving relationship in Christ Jesus between God and man, through teaching the covenant promises of grace.

As a general message to all members of TOL, what is one thing you would like to say to all of us as a whole?

Keep in mind these scriptures: Malachi 3:16-4:3 and Matthew 12:35-37

My greatest spiritual test was the death of our last two pastors and the subsequent dissolution of our local church, for lack of finding qualified leaders to replace our wonderful shepherds.

My greatest earthly test was the out-of-state death of my two parents within two years of each other.

It has not happened yet!

Many may not have realized I am a female, until now, and quite an elderly one at that. I am 71 years old, married to my Christian husband for 53 years, and still healthy, active, and enjoying part-time volunteer work in my niece’s gift shop in a tourist town nearby. Also, I was not saved until I was in my 30’s and then in an inordinary way, in that the Lord showed His grace to me apart from any church or Christian witness or influence. It was a simple reading of the Scriptures that changed me in one evening from a scoffer, to a believer in His reality, goodness, and grace. (Long story short!)

Yes indeed, but it is not my wisdom, but wisdom given to me from the Lord, that I attempt to continually apply to my own life:

Submit my will always to the will of Sovereign God as Jesus Christ exemplified in His life. Luke 22:42

Rest in His works, not my own. Hebrews 3:12-4:12

Rest in His forgiveness. Isaiah 43:25; Hebrews 8:12

Remain thankful during both good and bad times, according to the purposes and promises of Romans 8:28 and Hebrews 13:15.

Thank you, Nang, for taking the time to let us all get to know you a little better.

Thank you for the good questions and allowing me to participate in these interviews.

The Ten:
    Spoiler

compassion

banned

A horse nickering over oats.

Coyotes rejoicing over a midnight kill.

Thinking about my horses nickering over their oats.

Intense
    Serious
    Sincere

My iphone and my cat!

Both.

Buying a PC, assembling it, and learning to run it without instruction or help. Glad I learned the hard way, for I am now being rewarded with the ease and friendliness of my iMac.

10. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the closest, how close are you to being the person you want to be?[/QUOTE]

5, if even that close.

I would be a 10 if I didn't keep messing up.

Thread Information