Thanks
    Thanked 14,910 Times in 8,785 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    The Church has always Christianized paganism.
    You have that backwards.

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,865 Times in 1,879 Posts

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knight,

How hard would it be for you to get a copy of the text of "The ONLY Biblical Answer to the Age of Accountability"?

I'm pretty sure it was written by Lion, who is (was ?) a member of your church. Seems like he was a cop, if I remember correctly.
    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Down there with them spiders musterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,910 Times in 8,785 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds interesting, can I ask what the gist of it was?

Thanks

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He made quite a good argument that the age of accountability is 20 years of age. It's not enough to be dogmatic about it but there is no argument for any other age that is biblically based. It's either 20 or there isn't a specific age.
    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clete For Your Post:

musterion (February 23rd, 2016)

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    What kind of idol is it?
    Hi Knight, the idol is an Egyptian snake.

Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Knight,

I have had my browser open for a while, and the small block on the right to show the Woodshed is not updating correctly.
    Delmar's report is the latest one, but it is not displaying in the Woodshed block.

Also, is there a way to hyperlink the Woodshed block title so it takes us to the Woodshed forum page?
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 949 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arianadia View Post
    I'm sorry Nihilo, I was wondering if you could elaborate on what you meant by Christians Chirstianize-ing everything? I agree with you that it is good to be inclusive, and you are right that the Church teaches that one can find the truth outside of the Christian religion, but shouldn't a difference still be made by how much one follows one's own faith and yet also leaves room to respect people who have a different set of beliefs?
    The funny thing is, in one way, yes, it is, and in another way: no---absolutely not.

We should, politically, protect the freedom of religion with overzealous zeal. But personally, tear apart those other religions. They're "skubalon."
    Aren't there some lines a person should never be willing to cross and yet some grey-areas that can be up to the person themselves? Where would you place accepting gifts such as the one I mentioned? Is it a grey area matter or is there a clear cut answer? Can a person accept such a gift without it meaning the person is going against their own beliefs? Really appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject!
    I have paraphernalia depicting a comic book hero, given to me as gifts, not by someone who worships the comic book hero. If this were Athens, when the Church was born, this would be Zeus or perhaps Chronos paraphernalia, but it's 2,000 years hence, so it's instead this comic book hero. I have it next to my icons of our Lord and of Mary's cousin Elizabeth with the baby John the Baptist. Every wonderful thing about the comic book hero is perfectly manifested in our Lord Jesus Christ, and then some. The comic book heroes and the pagan deities all possess some of what makes our Lord so utterly and completely magnificent. But they are one or two facets of the multitudinously faceted Gem That is our Lord Jesus Christ.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    You have that backwards.
    Paganisms have always paganized the Church?
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    He made quite a good argument that the age of accountability is 20 years of age. It's not enough to be dogmatic about it but there is no argument for any other age that is biblically based. It's either 20 or there isn't a specific age.
    What are your thoughts on the United States Constitution limiting the Presidency to those 35 and older?

Thanks

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your thoughts on the United States Constitution limiting the Presidency to those 35 and older?
    Seems a bit young really.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The funny thing is, in one way, yes, it is, and in another way: no---absolutely not.

We should, politically, protect the freedom of religion with overzealous zeal. But personally, tear apart those other religions. They're "skubalon."
    I have paraphernalia depicting a comic book hero, given to me as gifts, not by someone who worships the comic book hero. If this were Athens, when the Church was born, this would be Zeus or perhaps Chronos paraphernalia, but it's 2,000 years hence, so it's instead this comic book hero. I have it next to my icons of our Lord and of Mary's cousin Elizabeth with the baby John the Baptist. Every wonderful thing about the comic book hero is perfectly manifested in our Lord Jesus Christ, and then some. The comic book heroes and the pagan deities all possess some of what makes our Lord so utterly and completely magnificent. But they are one or two facets of the multitudinously faceted Gem That is our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Thanks Nihilo for your insight, I find your view very interesting. I do hope it is alright if we agree to disagree on one point however, as I believe in the 1910 Edinburgh Ecumenical Movement that sought to open dialogue with those who follow different beliefs, rather than the OT "tear apart" approach as you put it. I fear that if other religions were to be torn apart, not only would that negate the hard work of the Disciples in the NT who were inclusive of Christians as well as Gentiles, but also many a history would be lost which is important for not only those of the Christian faith to learn and study. I suppose it also has to do with the fact that I don't believe people are born with a religion but are instead raised to follow a certain religion, and that no matter our circumstance, history, or background it is up to us to try and find and learn about God. Yes, God often reveals Himself to people as well, and so even though I consider myself a Christian, I can not deny the Good Samaritans their rightful place. Yet in protecting the freedom of religion, as you said, I find it often gets blurred with sometimes giving up ones own beliefs in order to help fight for the freedom of another's. Having been oppressed we hope for another to never have to feel that oppression, because we believe in forgiveness, and being there for our brothers and sisters. Yet, finding the balance between being a Christian and being open towards other religions and their practices is what I often find can be a struggle. I've always tried to be strict with myself and patient with others, but this idea of accepting a gift that goes so completely against what I believe, I'm still unsure. That said, even though I keep no Icons in the house I always admire and feel a sense of peaceful calm when visiting the houses of those who have Icons in their homes. I have also glimpsed Icons being crafted by young seminarians and in that brief moment seeing them at work, I felt rather spiritually uplifted. Nihilo I'm truly grateful to you, you have given me much to think about, thank you!

Thanks

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are some posts really narrow?

See the post just before this post (#1646) and compare it to the post just before it (#1645).

What gives?

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems a bit young really.
    It reminds me of other institutions that put a lower age limit on certain positions of authority. Also, that we later saw fit to limit a President to two full terms, after FDR.

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the OT "tear apart" approach
    I'm not sure if you mean "Old Testament" but I definitely do not. I mean that we should tear apart every other faith tradition in the public square, in the agora, and on the internet. They're all "skubalon."
    I fear that if other religions were to be torn apart, not only would that negate the hard work of the Disciples in the NT who were inclusive of Christians as well as Gentiles, but also many a history would be lost which is important for not only those of the Christian faith to learn and study.
    Academically study, sure, but the Church does not need to learn anything important from other faith traditions, as they are all imperfect in many ways, in their in some way vain attempts to worship the divine. He has given us, and continues to give us everything that we need in matters of faith, doctrine and morals.
    no matter our circumstance, history, or background it is up to us to try and find and learn about God.
    Agreed.
    I can not deny the Good Samaritans their rightful place.
    Legally, I agree. In the agora, in the arena of ideas however, it's a fight to the death, and the Church must win.
    in protecting the freedom of religion, as you said, I find it often gets blurred with sometimes giving up ones own beliefs in order to help fight for the freedom of another's.
    You simply can't allow that to happen. If you feel that it's happening to you, then you're subscribing in some perhaps small way to fatalism. Study what the Church teaches to avail yourself of it.
    Having been oppressed we hope for another to never have to feel that oppression, because we believe in forgiveness, and being there for our brothers and sisters. Yet, finding the balance between being a Christian and being open towards other religions and their practices is what I often find can be a struggle. I've always tried to be strict with myself and patient with others, but this idea of accepting a gift that goes so completely against what I believe, I'm still unsure. That said, even though I keep no Icons in the house I always admire and feel a sense of peaceful calm when visiting the houses of those who have Icons in their homes. I have also glimpsed Icons being crafted by young seminarians and in that brief moment seeing them at work, I felt rather spiritually uplifted.
    It sounds like those seminarians are thinking rightly about icons.
    Nihilo I'm truly grateful to you, you have given me much to think about, thank you!
    OK, you're welcome.

Best regards.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 716 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are some posts really narrow?

See the post just before this post (#1646) and compare it to the post just before it (#1645).

What gives?
    Some posts are narrow to make room for our Google ads.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thread Information