User Tag List

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 368

Thread: Does God know all things that are, have been, and will be?

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Ghost,

    This is actually the basic view of Catholic and mainstream Protestant alike. The only group denying God's knowledge of past, present, and future are open theists, who deny God can know the future.
    Well, that's quite disturbing, but not surprising.

    Don't know why you think this is just a Calvinist issue.
    I don't. I think most people who claim to believe in Jesus have a skewed view of God.

    A good starting point is Shaw's exposition here:
    http://www.reformed.org/documents/shaw/shaw_02.html
    From your link:

    God is all-knowing. In his sight all things are open and manifest. He has a perfect knowledge of himself, and he only knows himself perfectly.
    If that is the definition of "all knowing" then who would disagree with that, because there is nothing in what he just said that indicates that God has known all things eternally. God knows all that is "in His sight", that is, all that can be known, or that He chooses to know.
    He knows all things besides himself, whether they be past, present, or to come, in our way of measuring them by time.
    There you go, the reformed position is that God knows, and has eternally known all things evil, making them part of who God is.
    He knows all creatures, from the greatest to the least; he knows all the actions of his creatures, whether secret or open; all their words, thoughts, and intentions.
    Again, I have no problem with God seeing all things "in His sight" and therefore knowing all that can be known, but reformed theology makes a leap the Bible does not make, and makes God into a being that eternally has all things evil in His mind.
    Hence the Scripture declares, "The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good."–Prov. xv. 3. "He is acquainted with all our ways, there is not a word in our tongue but he knoweth it altogether, and he understandeth our thought afar off."–Ps.cxxxix. 2-4. "Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world."–Acts xv. 18.
    Again, God knows all that can be known, for all the evil that has been done by man is seen by God, including the thoughts and intents of the heart. Still no Biblical support for the claim that God eternally knows all things.
    Yea, be knows the most contingent events: the actions of free agents, and all events concerned in them, were always known with certainty to him
    The Bible does not state this, so it is therefore a concoction created by the reformers. Nothing more than an evil attribute attributed to God.
    so that, though they be contingent in their own nature, or ever so uncertain as to us, yet, in reality, nothing is to him contingent or uncertain. We cannot doubt this, when we consider the numerous prophecies, relating to things of this kind, that have received a most exact and circumstantial accomplishment, many ages after the prophecies were announced.
    He is God, He can bring to pass whatever He wills, and He also knows and understands the heart, desires, and intentions of man. For example, God knew and chose Judas, not because He had an eternal view into what Judas would do, but because He fully knew a man who would choose to betray.
    Last edited by ghost; October 20th, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    If the temporal events are a fulfillment of His eternal purpose, then would you say that those temporal events were eternally fully known? If so, then how can anything ever be conceived as a purpose?
    Ghost,

    You are thinking of God's knowledge of "future" events as if God is standing at one place in time as we do. If a man tells me today exactly what I will do tomorrow, then my freedom would be limited. That's not what we mean when we say that God knows the future.

    If a man tells me that I am eating an apple because he is currently watching me eat an apple, then my freedom is not limited. He knows I am eating an apple because I have freely chosen to eat it. That is precisely the vital distinction that must be seen in the Settled View: God knows our future free choices because He sees us freely choose them. It isn't that we act a certain way because God forces us to act that way by His foreknowledge, but rather that He knows because we act.

    -zip

  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    You know that I am not in the camp that believes God knows the entire future, correct?
    Yes, I know

    I'm not exactly sure I understand the question.
    Calvinism suggests that God has eternally in His mind the knowledge of all things, thus making all things part of who God is. If taking into account our sins is part of the eternal knowledge of God, then at no present reality in His mind is He not taking sins into account. If not taking into account our sins is part of the eternal knowledge of God then at no present reality in His mind is He taking our sins into account. He cannot be both. This is the problem with removing the sequence of events from the mind of God. God moves, creates, considers, acts etc. He is a living God, not the god of the reformers who have limited Him by claiming that He knows all things eternally.

  4. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy2006 View Post
    Ghost,

    You are thinking of God's knowledge of "future" events as if God is standing at one place in time as we do. If a man tells me today exactly what I will do tomorrow, then my freedom would be limited. That's not what we mean when we say that God knows the future.

    If a man tells me that I am eating an apple because he is currently watching me eat an apple, then my freedom is not limited. He knows I am eating an apple because I have freely chosen to eat it. That is precisely the vital distinction that must be seen in the Settled View: God knows our future free choices because He sees us freely choose them. It isn't that we act a certain way because God forces us to act that way by His foreknowledge, but rather that He knows because we act.

    -zip
    I know all about those two opposing views, but that is not what I'm discussing. It's not so much a question of what God knows, but when He knows it. Your view still has God eternally knowing every detestable act. It has evil being in the mind of God eternally, never not being part of Him.

  5. #50
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,656 Posts

    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    279543
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Yes, I know

    Calvinism suggests that God has eternally in His mind the knowledge of all things, thus making all things part of who God is.
    This is Pantheism, not Calvinism.


    If taking into account our sins is part of the eternal knowledge of God, then at no present reality in His mind is He not taking sins into account.
    But knowing of our sins does not make God a part our sins.

    This is the problem with removing the sequence of events from the mind of God.
    If you are going to insist that God thinks and works sequentially, then you have lowered Him from heaven and made Him like man.

    God moves, creates, considers, acts etc. He is a living God, not the god of the reformers who have limited Him by claiming that He knows all things eternally.
    God knowing all things "eternally" proves to be more your term than mine. God knows all things about His creation because He is Creator. Not especially because He is eternal.

    Can you even define "eternal?" I doubt so, for such an existence is beyond our human experience and finite minds.

    As we discuss and attempt to learn about our Lord, it is best to stick with His revelation of Himself (Holy Scriptures), for without a doubt divine and total omniscience is taught throughout.

    Nang
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nang For Your Post:

    fishrovmen (September 7th, 2019)

  7. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    I know all about those two opposing views, but that is not what I'm discussing. It's not so much a question of what God knows, but when He knows it.
    And that is a distinction I made: God does not know it temporally prior, as a man would. God does not exist in time in that way.

    Your view still has God eternally knowing every detestable act. It has evil being in the mind of God eternally, never not being part of Him.
    What is precisely your criticism?

    Yes God can see evil at all times, not only at limited times. I mean your own view has evil being in the mind of God, just not eternally. The only reason God sees evil is because we do evil.

  8. #52
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,833
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 9,967 Times in 6,976 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147815
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Isn't it limiting God's ability to think a new thought if He knows everything eternally?
    Ask a Calvinist if God can write a new song. (something even the no talent Justin Bieber can probably do)
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  9. #53
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,833
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 9,967 Times in 6,976 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147815
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    GhostThe only group denying God's knowledge of past, present, and future are open theists, who deny God can know the future.
    Why does Moses say God brought the animals before Adam?




    *hanging on tight for the spin*
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  10. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy2006 View Post
    The only reason God sees evil is because we do evil.
    Correct. Yet, you and the "reformers" claim that the evil men do is eternally in the mind of God. God never not having known every evil thought or act of man. God has seen the evil man has done/doing, but nowhere does the bible teach that God knows every evil eternally in eternity.

  11. #55
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,833
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 9,967 Times in 6,976 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147815
    I take him literal when he says he doesn't remember all things I do that I deserve to die over. If he is all powerful, then he can wipe it (the actions of dead flesh) from history.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  12. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post
    This is Pantheism, not Calvinism.
    Not sure there is a difference.

    But knowing of our sins does not make God a part our sins.
    It does make our sins part of God, if He has never not been apart from them.



    If you are going to insist that God thinks and works sequentially, then you have lowered Him from heaven and made Him like man.
    No, God has made us in His image. You have it backwards.


    God knowing all things "eternally" proves to be more your term than mine.
    Well then end the discussion and state that God does not know all things eternally or in eternity and we can agree.
    God knows all things about His creation because He is Creator.


    Can you even define "eternal?"
    God is eternal.
    I doubt so, for such an existence is beyond our human experience and finite minds.
    Yet you have attributed to God, whom you claim is beyond your human mind, the false belief that He knows all evil eternally in eternity.

    As we discuss and attempt to learn about our Lord, it is best to stick with His revelation of Himself (Holy Scriptures),
    I agree. Where is your proof that God knows all evil thoughts and deeds eternally in eternity.

  13. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Correct. Yet, you and the "reformers" claim that the evil men do is eternally in the mind of God. God never not having known every evil thought or act of man. God has seen the evil man has done/doing, but nowhere does the bible teach that God knows every evil eternally in eternity.
    So what? Is your claim only that the Bible doesn't lay out the philosophical extrapolation of God's omniscience? That doesn't surprise me, and there are any number of things the Bible doesn't explicitly go into, such as the Trinity and your own "Open view."

    It isn't a Biblical contention, it is a philosophical one. I see the Bible's witness that God knows all things as including the future; apparently you don't. The question is whether the future is a thing to be known, not whether the Bible explicitly points one way or another (for it doesn't, and if it does then we would have to admit that a huge majority of Biblical scholars and Christians believe the Bible claims the Settled View).

    Point being, the Settled View is not illogical, it does not limit God, and it does not limit our freedom.


  14. #58
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,656 Posts

    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    279543
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Where is your proof that God knows all evil thoughts and deeds eternally in eternity.
    Your language aside, proof of God's absolute foreknowledge is the revelations of the "Everlasting Covenant" and the "Everlasting Gospel," achieved by the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. Rev. 13:8

    If there was no divine knowledge of sin, there would have been no necessity to provide redemption through Jesus Christ.

    Nang
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  15. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy2006 View Post

    It isn't a Biblical contention, it is a philosophical one.
    Agreed. Thank you.
    I see the Bible's witness that God knows all things as including the future; apparently you don't.
    But you just said... oh never mind.
    Point being, the Settled View is not illogical, it does not limit God, and it does not limit our freedom.
    It does limit God, it takes away any ability to no longer know evil thoughts and acts done by man, and it takes away His ability to think a new thought.

  16. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post

    If there was no divine knowledge of sin, there would have been no necessity to provide redemption through Jesus Christ.
    I'm not saying, nor have I suggested, that God did not know that man would need a Savior having concluded to "Let us make man in our image".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us