Thanks
    Thanked 5,744 Times in 3,306 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by serpentdove View Post
    You have no righteousness of your own (Ro 5:17).
    Agreed and is why I asked Frank if NOT doing those things would make one righteous. Waiting for Frank's reply.

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,769 Times in 2,544 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    POTD
    A POTD inside a POTD.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,744 Times in 3,306 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See:

2 Cor 11:3 J. Vernon McGee
    I don't have to see your link. You said, "The gospel is the Bible from cover to cover." And yet there is more than one gospel in the Bible.

Christ died. He is risen. He will come again (Php 1:17,27; Jude 1:3, Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.).
    I wonder why people who say they believe the gospel or praise another for preaching it, never actually cite the gospel itself. It's curious.
    Believe (Ro 1:16, 2 Ti 1:18).
    Believe Romans 1:16 KJV? I believe it means what it says, but that's not the gospel of Christ. It is an "excellent" (Philippians 1:9-10 KJV) verse that tells you that the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth for therein (therein the gospel of Christ) is the righteousness of God revealed (Romans 1:17 KJV). The gospel of Christ is that Christ died for our sins and that He was buried and rose again the third day.

Romans 4:25 KJV Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Salvation is by grace through faith

Romans 6:23 KJV For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Proclaim the gospel boldly (Eph. 6:19).
    By the way, Ephesians 6:19 KJV is one of my favorites verses. Just curious, as to how you're doing with making the "mystery of the gospel" known, that Gentiles such as we (Ephesians 2:11-12 KJV)should be fellowheirs and of the same Body and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel (Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV). Doesn't it blow your mind that it was unsearchable (Ephesians 3:8 KJV) hid in God (Ephesians 3:9 KJV)?!

God is not mad at anyone in the dispensation of the grace of God. He fixed it so that He can be gracious to all

2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

But there's a whole mess of "Christians" out there mad at God

1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

They cannot stand the fact that God will save any one no matter who they are, where they've been or what they were doing while they were there. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved; believing how that Christ died for your sins and that He was buried and rose again on the third day.
    Last edited by heir; October 10th, 2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: add verse and fix ref.

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,769 Times in 2,544 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    "...[T]here is more than one gospel in the Bible."
    Do you mean dispensations? "...[T]he Bible was written by approximately 40 different authors over a period of around 1500 years. Each writer wrote with a different style, from a different perspective, to a different audience, for a different purpose..." full text: Does the Bible contain errors, contradictions, or discrepancies?

"Dispensations:

1. The dispensation of innocence (from the creation of man to the Fall of man)
    Gen. 1:28–3:6
    2. The dispensation of conscience (from the Fall to the Flood)
    Gen. 4:1–8:14
    3. The dispensation of civil government (from the Flood to the dispersion at Babel)
    Gen. 8:15–11:9
    4. The dispensation of promise or patriarchal rule (from Babel to Mount Sinai)
    Gen. 11:10; Exod. 18:27
    5. The dispensation of the Mosaic Law (from Mount Sinai to the Upper Room)
    Exod. 19; Acts 1:26
    6. The dispensation of the bride of the Lamb, the Church (from the Upper Room to the Rapture)
    Acts 2:1; Rev. 3:22
    7. The dispensation of the wrath of the Lamb—the Tribulation (from the Rapture to the Second Coming)
    Rev. 6:1–20:3
    8. The dispensation of the rule of the Lamb—the Millennium (from the Second Coming through the Great White Throne judgment)
    Rev. 20:4–15
    9. The dispensation of the new creation of the Lamb—the world without end (from the Great White Throne judgment throughout all eternity)
    Rev. 21–22" Willmington, H. L.: Willmington's Book of Bible Lists. Wheaton, Ill. : Tyndale House, 1987

"...[T]here's a whole mess of "Christians" out there mad at God..."
    Anger toward God is never right (Ec 7:9; Mt 5:22; Ro 12:19).

"They cannot stand the fact that God will save any one no matter who they are, where they've been or what they were doing while they were there. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved; believing how that Christ died for your sins and that He was buried and rose again on the third day."
    They would have hated Jesus because he loved sinners like you and me (Matt. 11:19).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 864 Posts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzl Kett View Post
    Some even go so for to award them a protected status and say 'they were born that way'.
    Right. Because expecting the same legal protections that every other person in this country enjoys is somehow unreasonable.

Global warming denialists are like gravity denialists piloting a helicopter, determined to prove a point. We may not have time to actually persuade them of their mistake.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,496 Times in 9,620 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    But one also has the choice of pretending on being something they are not for their entire lives, or taking that glimmering shot at happiness. Sometimes, that choice is easy
    They don't have to pretend anything at all; they could be honest about their carnal desires [which is what they should do] and embrace God and His plans [because His plans are not to harm us, but to give us hope, and a future] thereby rejecting sin and take the path where joy unspeakable and a peace that passes all understanding is a sure thing.

Over 1500 post club Frank Ernest's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please tell me, will NOT doing the things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 KJV make one righteous?

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And is that not what you implied when you used that passage as a proof text?
    No. Avoiding evil is not equivalent to doing good.

Psalm 144

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Never saw that coming! Thank you, Knight!

Psalm 144

Journeyman
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    What about the commands of Jesus: John 7:24?
    John 7:24 (NKJV)
    24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

I think you just answered your own question.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    They don't have to pretend anything at all; they could be honest about their carnal desires [which is what they should do] and embrace God and His plans [because His plans are not to harm us, but to give us hope, and a future] thereby rejecting sin and take the path where joy unspeakable and a peace that passes all understanding is a sure thing.
    And if you are wrong about God, His plans and "sin" etc, then they will have missed out on the only life they know they have.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    Darn hormones! I can't use that as an excuse anymore. Just bad manners on my part. I apologize for assuming and I apologize for flying off the handle. I do not for one minute mean that one ought to accept sinful behavior. I do believe that the way in which one confronts the behavior of another can have either a positive or a negative effect. Name calling and condemnation do not usually have a positive result.
    My military training, and subsequent events resulting therefrom, suggest you may wish to revisit that.
    Oh, and perhaps your assumptions need examining?
    Facts do not become assumptions because someone, somewhere, finds them unpleasant.

Psalm 144

Over 2000 post club One Eyed Jack's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alwight View Post
    It isn't the mysterious that is a problem for me Pat since I will happily accept that something is unknown rather than to simply suppose an answer.
    It's those folks with a seeming unflinching certainty in what otherwise appears to be unknown and unexplainable that I find harder to accept.
    What makes you think our unflinching certainty is in the unknown? We know the God we worship.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    And there is just as much Scripture which justifies that we need to love one another and leave judgment to God.
    I think you're a lot smarter and wiser than me, bybee, so seeing you say this makes me a little uneasy. What do you mean by judgment here? Simply judging whether any particular behavior is sinful? And making that point to someone doing that?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
    What makes you think our unflinching certainty is in the unknown? We know the God we worship.
    Do you really know or just think that you do?
    If so how exactly do you know?
    Why then do theists not seem to know the same God rather than, what seems to me at least, their own individual or regional version, since they never seem to agree very often on the details of what they claim to know even within a religion?
    They surely can't all be right, however sure they personally are.

Over 2000 post club One Eyed Jack's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alwight View Post
    Do you really know or just think that you do?
    I know.

If so how exactly do you know?
    How do you know your mother?

Why then do theists not seem to know the same God rather than, what seems to me at least, their own individual or regional version, since they never seem to agree very often on the details of what they claim to know even within a religion?
    Can you provide some examples of these differing details?

They surely can't all be right, however sure they personally are.
    I've never heard anyone outside of Christianity actually claim to know God.

Thread Information