User Tag List

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 160

Thread: Knight's pick 10-08-2011

  1. #46
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    12,187
    Thanks
    5,467
    Thanked 4,861 Times in 3,249 Posts

    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147710
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
    I dunno about ogres. The one person in my family I love above all the rest is gay. And a medium. I worry about him.
    Did he choose to be gay? Why do you love him above the rest if it's ok to answer publicly regarding that? If not then fair enough.

    Well this is fun isn't it?


  2. #47
    Over 4000 post club alwight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isle Of Wight UK
    Posts
    4,773
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 229 Times in 142 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    366457
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
    It's not about choosing whom you're attracted to -- it's recognizing that some people are off-limits. Regardless of how attractive you may or may not find them.

    If you want to have sex with men or married women, that's on you. I'm commanded not to do these sorts of things. And I'm not going to call that okay just because some other people see it that way. God says it's wrong.
    If you personally feel that you are commanded or under an obligation to obey a higher power then OK that's how it seems to you and how you comply is of course your own business.
    Fine, be subjugated of you feel you must be which afaic is simply your own personal daft belief and is of no particular problem to you nor me. And happily since presumably you are not gay either then great, by all means do feel free to grovel away to your hearts content.

    However for those like me who don't happen to consider themselves commanded or obliged by your particular higher power and doctrine then I really think it more than a bit rich for you to expect them (and me) to live out our lives according to your edicts or at least sticking to the rules that you personally feel obliged to follow.
    But if someone also happens to be gay then your insistence that everyone is obliged to obey the same rules that you personally adhere to goes beyond this to becoming an unwanted interference imo.
    IOW it's none of your business leave them alone.
    Last edited by alwight; October 9th, 2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: "someone" instead of "you"

  3. #48
    Over 2000 post club One Eyed Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Did he choose to be gay?
    I've never asked.

    Why do you love him above the rest if it's ok to answer publicly regarding that? If not then fair enough.

    It's fine. He's never shown me anything but unconditional love, and I return it.

  4. #49
    Over 2000 post club One Eyed Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by alwight View Post
    If you personally feel that you are commanded or under an obligation to obey a higher power then OK that's how it seems to you and how you comply is of course your own business.
    Fine, be subjugated of you feel you must be which afaic is simply your own personal daft belief and is of no particular problem to you nor me. And happily since presumably you are not gay either then great, by all means do feel free to grovel away to your hearts content.

    However for those like me who don't happen to consider themselves commanded or obliged by your particular higher power and doctrine then I really think it more than a bit rich for you to expect them (and me) to live out our lives according to your edicts or at least sticking to the rules that you personally feel obliged to follow.
    But if someone also happens to be gay then your insistence that everyone is obliged to obey the same rules that you personally adhere to goes beyond this to becoming an unwanted interference imo.
    IOW it's none of your business leave them alone.
    Did you even read the post you quoted? Where have I insisted that everyone is obliged to obey the same rules to which I personally adhere? I can't even get people like you to agree that morality is absolute.

  5. #50
    Over 4000 post club alwight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isle Of Wight UK
    Posts
    4,773
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 229 Times in 142 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    366457
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
    Did you even read the post you quoted? Where have I insisted that everyone is obliged to obey the same rules to which I personally adhere? I can't even get people like you to agree that morality is absolute.
    They aren't obliged being rather the point but do you simply have your own opinion?
    No because from your own post you claim bluntly that "God says it's wrong." which would mean rather more than just your opinion to say a gay theist than to me.
    Morality is relative btw.

  6. #51
    Over 1500 post club Frank Ernest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Clarksville, IN
    Posts
    1,583
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1511
    Knight, sod and aCW. I agree.

    Others I refer to the prophet Isaiah 5:20-21 (KJV)

    Fabricating noble motives will not excuse an enabler or a sinner. Fabricating confusing and complicated rationalizations will not excuse an enabler or a sinner. Removing earthly legal prohibitions does not trump God's laws and commandments, nor does such action negate a compelling social interest.

    On the currently contentious point, Leviticus 20:13 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (KJV). Final answer.

    God did not create a screwed-up world into which some of us (as enlightened gods) were sent to correct His "errors."

    Psalm 144

  7. #52
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 486 Times in 446 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147693

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ernest View Post
    Knight, sod and aCW. I agree.

    Others I refer to the prophet Isaiah 5:20-21 (KJV)

    Fabricating noble motives will not excuse an enabler or a sinner. Fabricating confusing and complicated rationalizations will not excuse an enabler or a sinner. Removing earthly legal prohibitions does not trump God's laws and commandments, nor does such action negate a compelling social interest.

    On the currently contentious point, Leviticus 20:13 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (KJV). Final answer.

    God did not create a screwed-up world into which some of us (as enlightened gods) were sent to correct His errors.
    I assume this barb is pointed at me? Well, well, well, I have not been called a "fabricator" before. My family would love it if I would learn to "Make nice". I don't!
    So here goes, all of you hateful, judgmental, puffed up pomposities always find a scripture to justify your hatred of other persons, I said persons. And there is just as much Scripture which justifies that we need to love one another and leave judgment to God.
    It has become increasingly obvious to me that any stance other than the most rigidly fundamentalist is not going to be tolerated here.
    This is so sad.

  8. #53
    Over 2000 post club One Eyed Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by alwight View Post
    They aren't obliged being rather the point but do you simply have your own opinion?
    No because from your own post you claim bluntly that "God says it's wrong." which would mean rather more than just your opinion to say a gay theist than to me.
    It's what the Bible says. I'm just agreeing with it.

  9. #54
    Over 4000 post club alwight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isle Of Wight UK
    Posts
    4,773
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 229 Times in 142 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    366457
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
    It's what the Bible says. I'm just agreeing with it.
    If you can establish that it is more than just a doubtful man-made ancient text and actually is the word of God then I will become a theist.
    I would personally respect your own opinion of what the Bible says or means to say rather more than that of one from a position of dogmatic adherence and obedience.

  10. #55
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 486 Times in 446 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147693

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by alwight View Post
    If you can establish that it is more than just a doubtful man-made ancient text and actually is the word of God then I will become a theist.
    I would personally respect your own opinion of what the Bible says or means to say rather more than that of one from a position of dogmatic adherence and obedience.
    Belief cannot be explained to a non-believer, nor can it be proven to a non-believer.
    While the Bible is the foundation of our faith, it is not the only aspect of our faith. Belief is a living thing, not easily translated into mere words.
    Perhaps this is a critical difference between believers and non-believers?
    Non-belief can be expressed in words.
    Life contains many mysteries not the least of which is faith in things unseen.... Peace, Pat

  11. #56
    Over 4000 post club alwight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isle Of Wight UK
    Posts
    4,773
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 229 Times in 142 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    366457
    Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    Belief cannot be explained to a non-believer, nor can it be proven to a non-believer.
    While the Bible is the foundation of our faith, it is not the only aspect of our faith. Belief is a living thing, not easily translated into mere words.
    Perhaps this is a critical difference between believers and non-believers?
    Non-belief can be expressed in words.
    Life contains many mysteries not the least of which is faith in things unseen.... Peace, Pat
    It isn't the mysterious that is a problem for me Pat since I will happily accept that something is unknown rather than to simply suppose an answer.
    It's those folks with a seeming unflinching certainty in what otherwise appears to be unknown and unexplainable that I find harder to accept.

  12. #57
    TOL Legend Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    514782
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    Such an angry little atheist. Accept Christ soon or you'll be dead from stomach cancer before your 15th birthday.
    That's what I thought.

    For those of us just joining or us who need a refresher this fellow used to pretend to be a member of Seattle PD. His lies, fake stories, and completely idiotic persona were transparent right away and he's since seemed to have abandoned the act.

    You have a fake badge you wave around at bars, or something?
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

  13. #58
    Over 1500 post club Frank Ernest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Clarksville, IN
    Posts
    1,583
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1511
    Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    I assume this barb is pointed at me? Well, well, well, I have not been called a "fabricator" before. My family would love it if I would learn to "Make nice". I don't!
    You assume incorrectly. Were I to do that, I would have replied to you directly.
    So here goes, all of you hateful, judgmental, puffed up pomposities always find a scripture to justify your hatred of other persons, I said persons. And there is just as much Scripture which justifies that we need to love one another and leave judgment to God.
    "Love one another" does not mean acceptance of what people do without question. Far from it. However, I did wonder about your sudden inference that what the Bible says is an application of "hateful ... etc." to justify hatred. I'm assuming you refer to some unreferenced Bible verses that would trump others. That is a very shaky game to play.
    It has become increasingly obvious to me that any stance other than the most rigidly fundamentalist is not going to be tolerated here.
    This is so sad.
    You flying off the handle and blasting out some emotional argument based on a gross assumption is what's sad.

    Psalm 144

  14. #59
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    14,765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,769 Times in 2,544 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    [T]he Founding Fathers found homosexuality to be detestable...
    And more importantly, God did (Ge 6:5, 6, 1 Kin. 14:24).

  15. #60
    TOL Subscriber heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colossians 3:3 KJV
    Posts
    9,304
    Thanks
    5,417
    Thanked 7,880 Times in 4,877 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147707
    Quote Originally Posted by serpentdove View Post
    And more importantly, God did (Ge 6:5, 6, 1 Kin. 14:24).
    Romans 5:6 KJV For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

    Galatians 3:22 KJV But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us