Page 2 of 202 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Knight
    I will never be able to pronounce that right.

I have been saying Za-KAAAAAATH for years!
    That's OK, we Malloreans are a tolerant folk...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Scrimshaw
    I'm not sure why asking the question "does truth exist" is being viewed so onimously. Obviously you believe truth exists else you would have nothing worth arguing for. For example, atheists believe it is "true" that there is not enough evidence to warrant god-belief. So instead of making mountains out of moehills and make-believing there are all sorts ulterior motives behind the simple question.......why not just supply the simply answer to the simple question?
    Because one of the favorite tactics of presuppositionalists like Enyart is to change the focus of the debate from something he cannot do (i.e. prove the existence of a deity, any deity) to get the debeate mired down in philosophical quagmire. He then walks away claiming victory when he never answered the question in the first place.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to have truth as a basement for any argument.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Zakath
    Because one of the favorite tactics of presuppositionalists like Enyart is to change the focus of the debate from something he cannot do (i.e. prove the existence of a deity, any deity) to get the debeate mired down in philosophical quagmire. He then walks away claiming victory when he never answered the question in the first place.
    I am not at all familiar with Enyart so I'll take your word for it. Hopefully he can give some decent enough arguments to make this a worthwhile debate. As an agnostic theist, I will be looking on with interest.
    Last edited by Scrimshaw; June 12th, 2003 at 06:31 PM.
    SCRIMSHAW

"Passions act as winds to propel our vessel; our reason is the pilot that steers her, without the winds she would not move; and without the pilot she would be lost". - The French

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Goose
    You have to have truth as a basement for any argument.
    I would agree with you in the sense that both parties must agree upon a common definition of truth before the discussion can proceed.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Scrimshaw
    I am not at all familiar with Enyart so I'll take your word for it. Hopefully he can give some decent enough arguments to make this a worthwhile debate. As an agnostic theist, I will be looking on with interest.
    I'll try to keep things entertaining as well as rational. We'll see how it turns out...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to keep things entertaining as well as rational. We'll see how it turns out...
    Good deal.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cowards

Does Truth exist? YES or NO. I think it's so cowardly to avoid closed ended questions. I'm going to do somthing I didn't think I would do in this debate. I'm going to pray for Zakath. Yeah, that's right, you heard what I said. Here is my prayer: Lord, would you give Zakath the courage to answer Bob's questions directly so that we could get to the heart of the matter on why he rejects You? Amen

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Cowards

Originally posted by Brother
    Does Truth exist? YES or NO. I think it's so cowardly to avoid closed ended questions. I'm going to do somthing I didn't think I would do in this debate. I'm going to pray for Zakath. Yeah, that's right, you heard what I said. Here is my prayer: Lord, would you give Zakath the courage to answer Bob's questions directly so that we could get to the heart of the matter on why he rejects You? Amen
    Good deal, Brother. A few of us have been praying for Zakath for quite a while now.
    They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. -- Isaiah 40:31

Vegetarian - Indian word for lousy hunter

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cowards

Originally posted by Brother
    Does Truth exist? YES or NO. I think it's so cowardly to avoid closed ended questions.
    Not when they're distracting from the actual purpose of the debate.

How about answering the original question of the debate: Does God Exist? Yes or No.

Bob seems to want to avoid that one at all cost. I wonder why...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Zakath,

I didn't realize that Enyart was a presuppositionalist. Are there bios available for you two that I've missed?

Thanks, J

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Zakath,
    This is an interesting precursor discussion to the debate. While I can appreciate that one tactic of debate is a sort of "smoke screen" to keep the focus off the issue at hand, wouldn't attributes that are necessary to establish the question at hand be encouraged? In issues such as this it is not a matter of a simple yes or no. What may be perfectly acceptable with minimal information to one may not be as compelling to another. In this way a preponderance of attributes may be needed to support an idea so that it is reasonable to conclude through logic that one concept outweighs another. Another tactic used is the avoidance of uncomfortable questions for one reason or another. This type of discussion tends to drag out a debate by blurring the definitions. I think it would behoove both of you to keep the discussion on track by eliminating as much of the "dodging" as possible. If a question appears unreasonable, it must be clearly and logically dismantled. Otherwise it falls squarely on opinion not observation. In this particular question it must be ascertained why absolute truth is either false or irrelevant to the discussion. In the same way as it is important for Pastor Enyart to establish why it is important. In reference to Bob's church helping his cause, you are absolutely right. GOD does not need us, or our wisdom, to succeed. GOD's Power and Glory are made perfect through weakness.
    Judges 7:1-7
    1 Then Jerubbaal, who is Gideon, and all the people that were with him, rose up early, and pitched beside the well of Harod: so that the host of the Midianites were on the north side of them, by the hill of Moreh, in the valley.
    2 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.
    3 Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand.
    4 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go.
    5 So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink.
    6 And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.
    7 And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.
    You have impressive and perplexing credentials and appear well educated by your posts. I am looking forward to observing this debate.

Palto

Veteran
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not when they're distracting from the actual purpose of the debate.
    This from The King of Distraction?!?!

How about answering the original question of the debate: Does God Exist? Yes or No.
    Yes! :bannana:

Bob seems to want to avoid that one at all cost. I wonder why...
    Has the debate started or are you just trying to distract us?
    Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, does God exist?

Does an idea exist? What will be the criteria in this debate for "existence"? Will something have to be physical to claim existence? And if not, how will we qualify it? Ideas have a physical component, but we don't normally consider an idea "real".

This should be interesting if the debate can stick to the actual question.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thread Information