ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

We debated this topic 5 years ago at TOL and it was very enlightening.
Some said yes and some said no.
What say you?

God_Is_Truth

i don't know. i haven't thought about it really. my inital answer, kinda my gut reaction, would be no. but it's subject to change. what about you?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
God_Is_Truth said:
i don't know. i haven't thought about it really. my inital answer, kinda my gut reaction, would be no. but it's subject to change. what about you?

I've been thinking about it for 5 years, but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag so to speak until lots of people have weighed in. Not that my opinion is some great revelation but I think it is an interesting topic that is applicable in everyday life. And I wonder what the prevailing thoughts are on the subject now at TOL.

Johnny

There are some that have convinced themselves that it is OK sometimes.

I say no. Love your enemy. Love your neighbor. There's no room for hate anywhere between the two.

Aimiel

Not only are we to love our enemies, but Jesus also said, "Whosoever will, let him come..." and hating them isn't going to bring them. Now, tolerating thier sin and 'looking the other way' is a different thing.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Its okay to hate some people. But, maybe the rules are different for me, not being a christian. There are just some people that I hate and wouldnt mind bad things happening to.

Aimiel

But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Aimiel said:
But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

Who said anything about hating this guy in darkness, he knows I hate him. He hates me right back. Thanks for the thought though.

Aimiel

I didn't say you hate anyone in darkness, but The Word of God says that you're in the darkness, that darkness is where you reside, and so you can't see where you are going. You don't realize that you're headed to destruction 'till you're already destroyed because you're walking in blindness. The god of this world has blinded you so that you can't see The Truth and come to The Lord for salvation before you are lost forever.

bling

I think it is wrong to hate someone unless you include Satan as being someone and then I think you can hate him.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Aimiel said:
I didn't say you hate anyone in darkness, but The Word of God says that you're in the darkness, that darkness is where you reside, and so you can't see where you are going. You don't realize that you're headed to destruction 'till you're already destroyed because you're walking in blindness. The god of this world has blinded you so that you can't see The Truth and come to The Lord for salvation before you are lost forever.

Listen dude, I was a christian for the majority of my life, I know all about it, all I'm saying is, for a christian to say that they dont hate any one, espetialy people on this site, is totaly bogus. Just read through the posts on the "Coming Out Holiday", from my personal experiance christians hate a whole lot of people. Gays, Muslims, people who dont agree with them. I'm not trying to pick a fight, people hate, I hate this dude for very good reasons.

LiveForChrist

TobiasKage said:
Listen dude, I was a christian for the majority of my life, I know all about it, all I'm saying is, for a christian to say that they dont hate any one, espetialy people on this site, is totaly bogus. Just read through the posts on the "Coming Out Holiday", from my personal experiance christians hate a whole lot of people. Gays, Muslims, people who dont agree with them. I'm not trying to pick a fight, people hate, I hate this dude for very good reasons.

Your right, as Christian we are not perfect, which is why Jesus died for us. Jesus said to Love our enemies, Love those who do all kinds of bad things against us, Love everyone. As a Christian we should not be hating anyone, we can hate the sin, but not the person. Just as Jesus loved is how we should love.

The Berean

TobiasKage said:
How long were you a Christian?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hate (in and of itself) is morally neutral.

There are righteous forms of hatred and there are unrighteous forms of hatred.

Righteous hatred...
Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

Unrighteous hatred...
Leviticus 19:17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.

billwald

No, it is not "Christian" to hate anyone.

Second, it is bad for one's mental state to hate anyone.

Third, hate is hard work and not worth the effort.

LiveForChrist

We are no longer bound by sin, but are free from it because of Jesus. However we still live sinful lives, because we are still of this world, and still are tempted by the flesh and by Satan.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bill? Or the Bible?

Bill says...
billwald said:
No, it is not "Christian" to hate anyone.

The Bible says...
Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.