Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Eric Defends Christian Political Strategy

Tuesday November 8th, 2005. This is show # 222.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
Brian Rohrbaugh: Abortion is the biggest crisis we face in this country and in this world. It's not terrorism. It's not oil prices. It's not oil shortages. It's not how big an SUV we can buy. Those are not the crises. Abortion is the crisis. When we learn how to protect the innocent and care for them...

Bob Enyart: Think of everything else we'll have learned.

Brian: Exactly.

the Sibbie

Granite said:
I'm sorry, terrorism and oil shortages are very much crises.
Umm, they didn't say they weren't.

Oh, nevermind...I saw "biggest." But, I guess they also said, "They are not the crises." not "They are not crises." But you know what they mean.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Abortion is the biggest crisis we face in this country and in this world. It's not terrorism. It's not oil prices. It's not oil shortages. It's not how big an SUV we can buy. Those are not the crises."

Ah. I misspoke. Then I'll clarify: I personally think terrorism is a bigger threat to us right now than abortion, only because more can be done to curb abortion immediately.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah... I am not sure I would have worded it the way Brian did however I think it's pretty obvious the point he was making.

Which was...
Abortion is a BIGGER crisis than terrorism and oil prices.

One Eyed Jack

Granite said:
"Abortion is the biggest crisis we face in this country and in this world. It's not terrorism. It's not oil prices. It's not oil shortages. It's not how big an SUV we can buy. Those are not the crises."

Ah. I misspoke. Then I'll clarify: I personally think terrorism is a bigger threat to us right now than abortion, only because more can be done to curb abortion immediately.

I'd have to disagree. We lose more people to abortion than we've ever lost to terrorism.

Carver

Ethanol is a beautiful thing. But, even if all the corn we produce went to making ethanol, instead of feeding cows, feeding us, making more corn, and other crazy things like that, we still wouldn't have enough to replace oil. Which sucks. 'Cuz I like ethanol.

Granite

Hall of Fame
One Eyed Jack said:
I'd have to disagree. We lose more people to abortion than we've ever lost to terrorism.

That may be but I'm talking about an imminent threat to myself personally. Between abortion and terrorism, one endangers my life and the lives of my loved ones. As heinous and sickening as abortion may be, I do not have to worry about someone dissecting my siblings or burning my parents alive in saline. I do sometimes wonder about a bomb going off somewhere.

It's the difference, perhaps, in a child getting abducted two states over, and a maniac showing up in your own neighborhood. Neither is "good" in any way, but one hits closer to home.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite it isn't a great idea to define the seriousness of a "crisis" based on how it personally effects yourself.

I think Brian was accurately speaking about a crisis in general, not a crisis for you individually.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Granite it isn't a great idea to define the seriousness of a "crisis" based on how it personally effects yourself.

I think Brian was accurately speaking about a crisis in general, not a crisis for you individually.

I'll just have to disagree. I see no point in going back and forth over this; the guy was making a passing comment and I'm not going to hold him to it.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
That may be but I'm talking about an imminent threat to myself personally.
So it's all about Granite, eh? :beanboy:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Granite said:
No. I'm just taking issue with him saying abortion is the biggest crisis we're facing right now.
Aren't our posterity (ie. the unborn) included in "we?"

Granite

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
Aren't our posterity (ie. the unborn) included in "we?"

Yes, but on the other hand I'd say my posterity and that of most TOLers is safe because we oppose abortion. Talking in a national, greater sense, yes, you're correct.

jhodgeiii

Granite said:
That may be but I'm talking about an imminent threat to myself personally. Between abortion and terrorism, one endangers my life and the lives of my loved ones. As heinous and sickening as abortion may be, I do not have to worry about someone dissecting my siblings or burning my parents alive in saline. I do sometimes wonder about a bomb going off somewhere.
OK, I see what you mean. This leads me to a, perhaps, more challenging question for you Granite.

What if the abortion law was expanded to include children up to age 4, and daily, people were legally killing off the young kids they decided they no longer wanted by the dozens or more. Which would be the greater crisis, this or the kind of terrorism we see today? Using your logic above, it would appear that you'd still say "terrorism." Am I right to assume that?

Granite

Hall of Fame
jhodgeiii said:
OK, I see what you mean. This leads me to a, perhaps, more challenging question for you Granite.

What if the abortion law was expanded to include children up to age 4, and daily, people were legally killing off the young kids they decided they no longer wanted by the dozens or more. Which would be the greater crisis, this or the kind of terrorism we see today? Using your logic above, it would appear that you'd still say "terrorism." Am I right to assume that?

Not sure. This scenario, however, isn't plausible, and I was talking about a current set of problems.

jhodgeiii

Granite said:
Not sure. This scenario, however, isn't plausible, and I was talking about a current set of problems.
Fair enough. I'll admit that my plan was to keep reducing the arbitrary age of 4, bit by bit, down to the date of birth to see how/if your philosophy changed on this. Putting your philosophy to the test so to speak.

Be careful of the scenarios that you see as not "plausible." In general, I think people can recognize and are appalled by most evils, especially those involving the taking of innocent life. At the same time, however, people have shown that they can and will tolerate injustice when issues of injustice don't personally impact themselves and/or if they're sanctioned by the law of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.