Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

AfraidOfAmerica

I don't recall saying anything about homosexuality. I recall responding to the content of this thread and not endorsing anything but consistency. If we are going to invoke some sort of following of Mosaic law to the letter, we need to start now. That's what I said.

Man, I've been here for less than half an hour and I've had words forced down my throat that I've never said, let alone thought. Wonderful show you have....wonderful.

Evee

AfraidOfAmerica said:
The sheep skipping rope really brought it home.
Yep got the giggles tonight.
I think it was because lighthouse is back and not banned.
Anyway can you believe 77 people out of 122 want homosexuals to get the death penalty...That is just ridiculous. :noway:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
AfraidOfAmerica said:
By Lighthouse's rationale, he should have been put to death about 500 times over by now.
No. And I don't know where you got that idea. Especially since you don't know me, and have no idea if I've ever committed any crime, especially one I believe deserves the death penalty. Just so you know, I haven't.

Not to mention, a person can only be executed once.:duh:

Agape4Robin

AfraidOfAmerica said:
I don't recall saying anything about homosexuality. I recall responding to the content of this thread and not endorsing anything but consistency. If we are going to invoke some sort of following of Mosaic law to the letter, we need to start now. That's what I said.

Man, I've been here for less than half an hour and I've had words forced down my throat that I've never said, let alone thought. Wonderful show you have....wonderful.
:baby:

Evee

AfraidOfAmerica said:

Hang in there it gets better!!! :guitar:
In fact it will be unbelievable at least it was to me. :cheers:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Evee said:
Yep got the giggles tonight.
I think it was because lighthouse is back and not banned.
Anyway can you believe 77 people out of 122 want homosexuals to get the death penalty...That is just ridiculous. :noway:
What's ridiculous? That the other 45 disagree with God? I agree.

AfraidOfAmerica

Nobody said anything about following it to the letter.

That's a problem. You probably should. What good is law if we don't follow it to the letter?

The Bible even says we are no longer to circumcise.

It doesn't say that as a commandment, it just says that it's no longer needed for salvation and then discusses Christians being "circumcised" at baptism.

But murder, lying, stealing, adultery, fornication, homosexuality, and many more things are wrong, no matter who you are.

Yes, they certainly are wrong. I wouldn't suggest otherwise.

And God set forth a criminal code that will always work, if followed.

Where? You just made the separation of Mosaic law and set aside certain commands for Israel and then brought forth a "list" of things (right above here) that were "wrong". Yet nowhere in scripture do I see God's "criminal code" for dealing with those things, ie. a scripture outside of Mosaic law (which you yourself said was for Israel) that applies here.

Murderers will stop murdering if executed, right?

If we're talking about the Christian approach, which I assume we are because we're throwing out Mosaic law, then we need to look at scripture in the New Testament and find the words of Christ on the topic. Luke 23:34 and Acts 7:60 are two passages in particular that emphasize how we are to treat murderers. Only in Genesis and Exodus does the Bible affirm the death penalty in regards to murders but as you just said, that was for.....?

Those who steal will give it up, if they are forced to pay back, up to seven times the worth of what they stole, every time, right?

It's possible. I don't have a social justice background so I can't really say. I know human nature, however. Maybe we should start cutting off hands...

You have, however, commited a fairly large logical fallacy by shifting the discussion from homosexuals being put to death as a pretty strange thing to have here with so much agreement to it..to stealing and killing. Not only that, but you aren't the LEAST bit consistent in your ethics, it seems.

And how is anyone ruling out what Christ said?

Christ didn't say anything affirming any of these notions and in fact, suggested the opposite in terms of punishment of sinners. He stopped executions of immoral people and plead compassion instead. But yeah, I can see how you'd miss that when you're looking for ways to condemn.

Evee

Lighthouse said:
What's ridiculous? That the other 45 disagree with God? I agree.
Well heck then men that spill their seed on the ground should die too.
Gosh keep that up want be no men left!!! :mad:

Evee

I did find this though of course this is in the old testament.
Genesis 38:9) - "And Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so it came about that when he went in to his brother’s wife, he wasted his seed on the ground, in order not to give offspring to his brother."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
AfraidOfAmerica said:
That's a problem. You probably should. What good is law if we don't follow it to the letter?
It's no good if you do follow it to the letter.:nono:

It doesn't say that as a commandment, it just says that it's no longer needed for salvation and then discusses Christians being "circumcised" at baptism.
That's because there are no more commandments, in the dispensation of the grace of God. Christians are not under the law, which is why we shouldn't be circumcised for religious purposes. We shouldn't follow any of the law for religious reasons. Now, do you have a problem with murderers being executed, by the government, according to the law?

Yes, they certainly are wrong. I wouldn't suggest otherwise.
So...:think:

Where? You just made the separation of Mosaic law and set aside certain commands for Israel and then brought forth a "list" of things (right above here) that were "wrong". Yet nowhere in scripture do I see God's "criminal code" for dealing with those things, ie. a scripture outside of Mosaic law (which you yourself said was for Israel) that applies here.
I never said the criminal code could be found outside of the Mosaic law, in the Bible. All that is needed is to know how to rightly divide the word of truth. All laws regarding the Sabbath were for Israel alone, and that is shown by verses where God says it is a sign between Him and Israel only.

The Mosiac law as it pertains to relationships between God and man, was only for Israel. However, right and wrong are what they are, for all people. And God commanded the death penalty for murderers, kidnappers, adulterers, and others. Do you think it is wrong for any of these people to be executed? And if so, why?

If we're talking about the Christian approach, which I assume we are because we're throwing out Mosaic law, then we need to look at scripture in the New Testament and find the words of Christ on the topic. Luke 23:34 and Acts 7:60 are two passages in particular that emphasize how we are to treat murderers. Only in Genesis and Exodus does the Bible affirm the death penalty in regards to murders but as you just said, that was for.....?
Luke 23:34 was directed to God, alone. It was not about us, or the government. And murderers know exactly what they are doing. Those directly responsible for the death of Christ thought they were executing a criminal.:duh:

And Acts 7:60 was the same exact thing, except Stephen was viewed as the criminal. And, well, it was definitely not the words of Christ, so you've already failed to do what you said we should do.

Now, what ios wrong with using the words of those who followed Christ? Like Paul?

And I never, not once, said that the death penalty for murderers was only for Israel. IO said the symbolic laws were only for Israel. Execution of murderers was not symbolic. It was just and moral.

It's possible. I don't have a social justice background so I can't really say. I know human nature, however. Maybe we should start cutting off hands...
Is that what God said to do?

You have, however, commited a fairly large logical fallacy by shifting the discussion from homosexuals being put to death as a pretty strange thing to have here with so much agreement to it..to stealing and killing. Not only that, but you aren't the LEAST bit consistent in your ethics, it seems.
The discussion os about whether or not the death penalty should apply to the things God said it should. And to show why I believe homosexuals should be put to death, I have to explain why I think that. And that includes talking about the other acts I believe should be capital crimes, or crimes in general [sometimes], in order to show the difference between the symbolic laws, and what is right and wrong for all people. And discussing why I think that. So I do not see how this is a logical fallacy.

And how am I not consistent in my ethics?

Christ didn't say anything affirming any of these notions and in fact, suggested the opposite in terms of punishment of sinners. He stopped executions of immoral people and plead compassion instead. But yeah, I can see how you'd miss that when you're looking for ways to condemn.
Christ only once stopped an execution, and the reasons were because those who brought the woman to Him weren't following the laws relating to how her crime should be punished. Not to mention the Romans did not allow the Jews to practice their criminal laws, because the Romans were the authority on what was considered crime at the time. And Christ did not have the authority to usurp them in this, because He was not in such a position of authority.

And I agree that because of Christ the punishments of sinners were changed, but the punishment of criminals was not something He spoke against. And since Jesus is God, it was His command that certain crimes be punishable by death. And He never showed any sign of changing His mind on the subject.:nono:

Jesus even allowed Himself to be executed for a capital crime. Of course, He was innocent, and He had to die for our salvation, but He never said that execution of the guilty was wrong. And Paul also said that if he was guilty of a crime deserving death that he should be put to death.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Evee said:
No just like you can't back up many of your posts.
I meant do you have Scripture to back up that men who spill their seed are to be executed. I can supply the Scriptures to support my stance.

Evee

Lighthouse said:
I meant do you have Scripture to back up that men who spill their seed are to be executed. I can supply the Scriptures to support my stance.
God killed Onan for spilling his seed on the ground... God wanted him to have Children with his brothers wife to the best I can tell.
I need to go and read that again to understand it better.
It is in Genesis 38.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Evee said:
God killed Onan for spilling his seed on the ground... God wanted him to have Children with his brothers wife to the best I can tell.
I need to go and read that again to understand it better.
It is in Genesis 38.
And where did God say that the government should execute those who did that? And where does it say that it was because Onan spilled His seed that God killed him? Isn't it more likely that He killed Onan for being so blatantly disobedient? He killed Ananias and Saphirah for being disobedient. Does that mean He wants the government to execute those who lie to the Holy Spirit?

AfraidOfAmerica

It's no good if you do follow it to the letter.

Which means?

That's because there are no more commandments, in the dispensation of the grace of God. Christians are not under the law, which is why we shouldn't be circumcised for religious purposes. We shouldn't follow any of the law for religious reasons.

Shouldn't is different than what you said.

Now, do you have a problem with murderers being executed, by the government, according to the law?

I don't live in a country that supports the death penalty. I do not find biblical evidence nor evidence in my moral conscience that supports the death penalty, however. It is certainly not a central doctrinal issue but rather a political one that isn't necessarily related to one's faith. Both sides certainly appeal to it, though.

I never said the criminal code could be found outside of the Mosaic law, in the Bible. All that is needed is to know how to rightly divide the word of truth. All laws regarding the Sabbath were for Israel alone, and that is shown by verses where God says it is a sign between Him and Israel only.

So then the laws regarding the stoning of, for example, those having sex with women on their periods, etc. would still stand. Is the death penalty somehow related to these commands even with the New Testament and Christ's revelation?

The Mosiac law as it pertains to relationships between God and man, was only for Israel. However, right and wrong are what they are, for all people. And God commanded the death penalty for murderers, kidnappers, adulterers, and others. Do you think it is wrong for any of these people to be executed? And if so, why?

God called on death for ALL sinners. (This is not governmental execution he refers to, by the way.) Death was the punishment for defying God in a lot of cases, not just in those you listed and not just as pertains to sexual sins or the like. The punishment for "doing wrong" was taken and nailed to the cross with Christ and replaced with a doctrine of salvation, atonement, and redemption. There is, again, nothing in scripture that asserts the notion of the death penalty unless we (you call it "rightly divide", I call it "pick and choose to support YOUR view") remove verses from context.

And I never, not once, said that the death penalty for murderers was only for Israel. IO said the symbolic laws were only for Israel. Execution of murderers was not symbolic. It was just and moral.

No, I realize you did not assert this view, but it is the logical conclusion. You've, as you said "rightly divided" scripture yet there is no instruction to do so and CLEARLY no instruction on how to do so properly within scripture. Mosaic law is not pick and choose, and it doesn't become pick and choose with a clear set of what to pick and choose with Christ, either.

Is that what God said to do?

Let me know why you're in a position to tell me God's will and I might start believing you speak for the areas in which scripture is silent. Until then....

The discussion os about whether or not the death penalty should apply to the things God said it should.

Which means that we all should be lined up and shot, essentially. We all deserve death on God's terms.

Christ only once stopped an execution, and the reasons were because those who brought the woman to Him weren't following the laws relating to how her crime should be punished.

Wrong.

Not to mention the Romans did not allow the Jews to practice their criminal laws, because the Romans were the authority on what was considered crime at the time. And Christ did not have the authority to usurp them in this, because He was not in such a position of authority.

Ah, so that's why he made all those comments after.....

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Evee said:
Getting back..Homosexuality is a sin not a crime!
God said it should be, though. Do you think He did not? And do you think it should not be a crime?