ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
V45 said:
I guess the way I look at it, God is just so competent that time isn't a problem for His goals.
For those among us who are very efficient and organized people, time isn't a problem for them either. But they're still constrained by it. Just because your conception of God asserts that time is not a problem, does not mean that time is not a limitation for Him (again, on your conception of Him). After all, didn't God cause the sun to stop in the sky order to prolong the day? According to the Open View, that would appear to be God dealing with a time problem.

V45 said:
Look what He created in six days. It's hard to imagine God could get much busier than that in dealing with us. If we can believe He is omnipresent (in one way or another) I think He could handle as many tasks at one time as he desired to. (and still be "in" time)
I like the fact that you put "in" in quote. I can almost agree with your paragraph as stated. But for me, I would be talking about God's immanence, His dealings with man and the universe in time. But the whole time, I would also have in mind God's transcendence, which transcends man, time and the universe itself.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
In order for God to be perfect, He has to be able to change in many respects. For if He was unable to change, He would be broken, and therefore imperfect.

Also, God is infinite, yes. But He does not go beyond time. And the reason why is because time is not a solid, or a dimension. It is not something one can be bound by.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Hilston said:
For those among us who are very efficient and organized people, time isn't a problem for them either. But they're still constrained by it. Just because your conception of God asserts that time is not a problem, does not mean that time is not a limitation for Him (again, on your conception of Him). After all, didn't God cause the sun to stop in the sky order to prolong the day? According to the Open View, that would appear to be God dealing with a time problem.

So if I apply omniefficient and omniorganized to God I'm still ok? :) I actually don't see a problem with either, but I think I get your meaning, that in the OV God must act in a certain amount of time, if He wants to precede a certain event. That's probably a fair assessment of Open Theism.

Can you describe God "outside" of time? Again, the only example I can think of would be time travel. Captain Kirk style.

Hilston said:
After all, didn't God cause the sun to stop in the sky order to prolong the day? According to the Open View, that would appear to be God dealing with a time problem.

Not that this particular case is a big part of the argument, but even in this case time would have been measurable. To me time is not a physical thing you can fill a bucket with, and it doesn't depend on the movement of heavenly bodies. Even during the time when God stopped the sun and the moon, (and we can wonder whatever else, maybe the whole universe of heavenly bodies?) you could take a stop watch and measure time between hailstones squashing Israel's foes. Time still passed.

Last edited:

seekinganswers

Lighthouse said:
In order for God to be perfect, He has to be able to change in many respects. For if He was unable to change, He would be broken, and therefore imperfect.

Also, God is infinite, yes. But He does not go beyond time. And the reason why is because time is not a solid, or a dimension. It is not something one can be bound by.

You know that the New Testament equates God's perfection to God's mercy (and equate both to God's holiness, which isn't defined as God's ability "to change in many respects), not is God's ability "to change in many respects."

Peace,
Michael

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hilston said:

All that is needed to stop the sun in the sky is to hold the Earth in it's orbit. It is not necessary to stop time. Note that the sun was stopped in the sky for some period of time (about a full day) and that God performed the miracle as a result of a man's request...

Joshua 10:14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the LORD listened to a man. Surely the LORD was fighting for Israel!​

And to answer the question directly. The time problem wasn't God's it was man's. God could have ended the fight in an instant but chose to allow the men involved deal with it themselves with His limited intervention. It was not the only solution God could have chosen but dealing with situations with supernatural miracles that use nature itself is obviously something God prefers to do when dealing with men. I don't know why that is but it seems pretty obvious that it is so. God seems to be a minimalist when it comes to miracles, performing only that which is needed and not a great deal more. Noah, for example wasn't sent to Mars or put into a force field to avoid the world-wide flood, he was simply given a boat that he had to build himself, the water didn't just come out of nowhere but it came up from the deep and it rained over a long period of time, and the waters didn't just disappear once everyone one dead but Noah spent a year on the boat while the waters receded. God does what is necessary and very little if anything more, the rest is left for man to deal with.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Clete said:
All that is needed to stop the sun in the sky is to hold the Earth in it's orbit. It is not necessary to stop time. Note that the sun was stopped in the sky for some period of time (about a full day) and that God performed the miracle as a result of a man's request...
Joshua 10:14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the LORD listened to a man. Surely the LORD was fighting for Israel!​

Resting in Him,
Clete
Now that's an interesting verse.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hilston said:
Dear deardelmar,

I may have missed it, so please bear with me. But where did I, or anyone on this thread, deny that Jesus Christ is Lord? Put another way, what in the chaotic flux of the Open Theist phantasm are you blathering about?

Close box before striking,
Jim
The topic was believing. Open theists believe Paul when he says that we are justified by believing rather than being justified by works. Jim Hilston claims that by accepting Pauls words as the truth, Open Theists have to save themselves.
Jim you pointed out in you Bob has lost the debate thread that The only way to deny God is to suppress belief. I am agreeing with you when I say that the only way not to believe that Jesus Christ is Lord is to suppress belief in unrighteousness. To believe is not something you work for, not something you achieve, it takes no effort. Unbelief takes effort.
Since believing that Jesus Christ is Lord takes no effort, only the worst kind of fool would claim that to be saved by believing in (rather than rejecting) Jesus is to " save yourself"

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
deardelmar said:
The topic was believing. Open theists believe Paul when he says that we are justified by believing rather than being justified by works. Jim Hilston claims that by accepting Pauls words as the truth, Open Theists have to save themselves.
Jim you pointed out in you Bob has lost the debate thread that The only way to deny God is to suppress belief. I am agreeing with you when I say that the only way not to believe that Jesus Christ is Lord is to suppress belief in unrighteousness. To believe is not something you work for, not something you achieve, it takes no effort. Unbelief takes effort.
Since believing that Jesus Christ is Lord takes no effort, only the worst kind of fool would claim that to be saved by believing in (rather than rejecting) Jesus is to " save yourself"
:think:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Hilston said:
Godrulz,

Try to connect the dots:

God is bound by time.
God is not infinite.

God is infinite.
God is not bound by time.

Do you know what infinite means? It means "not bounded."

The (il)logic of your claims goes like this: God is bounded by time but God is not bounded.

:kookoo:

God is not 'bound' by time. It is an aspect of any personal being's existence. Timelessness negates will, intellect, and emotions which require sequence/succession/duration (time). See J.R. Lucas "A treatise on time and space".

It is perfectly coherent to say that God experiences an endless duration of time vs timelessness (what ever that means). Time is a limitation for us since we are not omnipresent and are not from everlasting to everlasting. You are projecting man's limitations on God (not OT doing what you accuse us of).

You are also using circular reasoning/begging the question. A God who is from everlasting to everlasting and correctly distinguishes the fixed past from the potential future (presentism vs eternalism) is just as infinite as a so-called timeless one. This is philosophically and logically defensible. You also must wrongly assume that time is a created thing. Just as God's love is eternal with His being, so His experience of duration within His triune being has always been. This in no way limits God. It is simply how He has revealed His reality. God has always had will, intellect, emotions. This does not make those qualities greater than God anymore than saying He thinks and acts sequentially makes time greater than God. The incarnation as a significant example of God's history (=> time) and change (change implies duration/time).

The tensed phrases in Ps. 90:2 and Rev. 1:4, 8 support endless time vs timelessness.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Hilston said:
Do you believe time is a limiting force in your experience? Do you ever run out of time? Does time ever impede your will or actions?

Easy to light,
Jim

Time is a limitation for man, but time is not a limitation for a being who experiences endless time and omnipresence. We can only do one thing at a time and be in one place at a time. We also are not eternal and eventually die. The uncreated Creator is not limited by a body and mortality like us. Proving time is a limitation on us does not prove that it is one for God. Just because we have limited knowledge, does not mean that God does not have unlimited knowledge.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
deardelmar said:

The problem with Jim's objection is that he equates any action on our part in response to God with being a merritorious work. If I accept a gift from a friend, have I done something to deserve the gift by virue of the fact that I accepted it? No! Of course not.
If salvation was imparted as payment in exchange for our faith, then Jim would have a point but that isn't the way it is. I don't deserve salvation because of my faith any more than I deserve my wife because I said, "I do."

Resting in Him,
Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
The problem with Jim's objection is that he equates any action on our part in response to God with being a merritorious work. If I accept a gift from a friend, have I done something to deserve the gift by virue of the fact that I accepted it? No! Of course not.
If salvation was imparted as payment in exchange for our faith, then Jim would have a point but that isn't the way it is. I don't deserve salvation because of my faith any more than I deserve my wife because I said, "I do."

Resting in Him,
Clete

Faith is a condition, not a work. The Bible says that salvation, not faith, is a gift. Faith involves a volitional and intelligent response to the Spirit's convincing and conviction with truth. Faith is from us. It does not talk about God's faith.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Godrulz wrote:

God macro vs micromanages. He does not determine, decree, nor predestine every moral and mundane choice in the universe. His desire for give-and-take reciprocal love relationships necessitated giving us genuine freedom (introducing calculated risk) vs determinism. One consequence is that He does not always get His way (though He will creatively bring His project and purposes to a positive conclusion) and that exhaustive foreknowledge of future contingencies becomes an absurdity. His omnicompetence and ability ensure that He can respond to any contingency. He is not a cosmic control freak. He is a loving Father influencing His creation.

Godrulz, I couldn’t agree more. Thanks for the post.

Bob

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
God is not 'bound' by time. It is an aspect of any personal being's existence. Timelessness negates will, intellect, and emotions which require sequence/succession/duration (time). See J.R. Lucas "A treatise on time and space".

It is perfectly coherent to say that God experiences an endless duration of time vs timelessness (what ever that means). Time is a limitation for us since we are not omnipresent and are not from everlasting to everlasting. You are projecting man's limitations on God (not OT doing what you accuse us of).

You are also using circular reasoning/begging the question. A God who is from everlasting to everlasting and correctly distinguishes the fixed past from the potential future (presentism vs eternalism) is just as infinite as a so-called timeless one. This is philosophically and logically defensible. You also must wrongly assume that time is a created thing. Just as God's love is eternal with His being, so His experience of duration within His triune being has always been. This in no way limits God. It is simply how He has revealed His reality. God has always had will, intellect, emotions. This does not make those qualities greater than God anymore than saying He thinks and acts sequentially makes time greater than God. The incarnation as a significant example of God's history (=> time) and change (change implies duration/time).

The tensed phrases in Ps. 90:2 and Rev. 1:4, 8 support endless time vs timelessness.

First of all, your arguments concerning God's will, intelect and emotions are all based on anthropomorphisms of God, as if God's image could be understood by human characteristics. All humans have will, intelect, emotions, ect., yet none of those characteristics are a reflection of God in a humanity that is in sin. The image of God is not held in us but in Christ (who had will, intelect and emotions the same as us, thus making God's image something quite distinct from those qualities). Will, intelect, and emotions are not what make us like God. In fact, I find that even animals have volition (will), intelect, and emotions, yet they are not "created in the image of God." On top of this, any argument made concerning the fact that such traits must be grounded in time assumes that we could actually know what timelessness was. And the fact that such traits are contingent qualities (i.e. dependent on a cause and effect relationship) would ground them within a mortal reality, not within the immortal (or timeless). If God's will is made to depend on anything (as a will contingent upon something else), what makes God to be God has been removed. God ceases to be transcendent at all and becomes utterly contingent (not even immanant). God is driven by the Creation just as much as God is the mover of Creation (and you have accomplished nothing greater than the process theologians).

Open theists claim to be expressing a novel idea, and yet continue to succomb to Process Theology, claiming that it is not Process Theology. The God who is in "relationship" with the Creaiton in such a way as to place both the Creation and Creator into a category of agency is to follow the move of Process Theology. You are trying to get the best of both worlds and instead you frustrating the two.

A God who knows all possible futures is a God that is powerless, for the God who "knows" all futures yet who fails to be able to bring those futures about is a God with no more power than the scientist who looks at the universe and disiphers its secrets. So what if God knows the future? Such knowledge is no better than the knowledge of academicians in our own world. It is the picture of a god who sits back and lets things happen (both to God and to the Creation). Your view of the cross is that God is passively engaging the world (because if God were active in the world, that activity would necessarily be expressed in violence and coercive power, with an absence of love). Your assumption is that if God is driving events in the world, God must enter into the world in violence and coersion (God's activity will violate our "freedom"). What's funny is that you hold onto the very understanding of power that the fundamentalists claim for their own view of God, only pushing it off into the eschatological future. In this much you have distinguished yourself from the Process Theologians, only now God is schitzophrenic and not simply ignorant.

Your understanding of the Biblical grammar is appalling. First of all, tense in the Hebrew (the Psalms) has nothing to do with time. There are only two "tenses" in the Hebrew (perfect and imperfect) and both can convey past, present and furture timed actions. We only translate the tenses within finite time grounded tenses in the English because there is no other way to express action in English. The Hebrew doesn't express the time; English does. As far as your example is concerned for the Greek in Revelation, once again you have misunderstood the grammar. In verse eight we have participles being used to express God, and if you know anything about Greek grammar, tense in participles has nothing to do with time, and everything to do with aspect. A present participle expresses continuous action. The only finite verb (which has time) is the past form of eimi (en ). Yet the participles that we translate as "the one who is" and "the one who will be" are both present indicting a continuous action within the timeframe of the finite verb (past). So God in the past was both present and future, which is a really muttled idea (and might have something to do with the fact that John is not the best at Greek grammar). Nonetheless, the phrases neither lend themselves to being "timeless" nor expressions of "endless time."

Yet the phrase that begins verse eight does give us a concrete image of time as bounded by God. "I am the alpha and the omega," which is later qualified in Revelation by another phrase "the beginning and the end." You see, the scriptures assume that time has begun and that time will move forward towards a purpose (a telos). Time by nature must begin and must move towards an end (otherwise there is no time). Time has limits, it is not "unlimited." Time is the contingency in which the Creation is bound (we are not eternal, i.e. unbound). For events to occur in time there must be something that initiates those events and there must be a reaction of events to the initial cause. Time by definition is a series of cause and effect (and thus time by nature has a beginning, a "head" if you will, as the scriptures convey it). If God is bounded by time (i.e. caught up in the series of cause and effect) God ceases to be God, for the real God is the one who drives the events (the one who initiates the actions and brings them to their telos). Either time has become God, or you have caught God and the Creation up in a nihilism that is worse than any we have ever faced.

No, God is the bounds for time, and God also draws the whole Creation into Godself. Please, godrulz, tell me how you would interpret these wonderful phrases of Paul: "In God we live and move and have our being," (Acts 17) and "For out of God, and through God, and unto God are all things" (Rom. 11:36). These phrases seem to fly in the face of what you are saying.

Peace,
Michael

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Man is in the image of God. Personal qualities of God are self-revelation. They are self-evident, not 'anthropomorphisms'. Jesus talked about the Father's will. God has a will. He obviously has intellect. Impassibility is a sad concept. God's heart can be grieved. He can love and be loved.

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
Man is in the image of God. Personal qualities of God are self-revelation. They are self-evident, not 'anthropomorphisms'. Jesus talked about the Father's will. God has a will. He obviously has intellect. Impassibility is a sad concept. God's heart can be grieved. He can love and be loved.

God is love. God doesn't just possess love. God isn't simply loving. The very Trinity is the embodiment of eternal love within the Godhead. I do not deny that God has become immanant, and that in that closeness God has loved us, and that God has been saddened by sin, or that God rejoices over the repentant sinner. But I know that the image of God is not held in such things. God's image is held in Christ through his obedience. It is not that he has a will; it is not that he can feel emotions; it is not that he has a mind. No, Jesus is the image of God because he is perfectly submitted to the Father. In the same way, humanity only reflects God in obedience. Our "personal qualities" bring us no closer to God than our grabbing for power. "Personal qualities" are neutral things, which can be used for either good or for evil. They do not in and of themselves make us like God. Man is not "in the image of God." From the fall we have been cast in the image of humanity (the 'adam) and we are no longer reflections of God in the Creation, for now our actions lead the Creation to further and futher corruption and death. The image of God preserves the Creation; the false image enslaves the Creation to a false will which leads to death and destruction.

What you fail to see, godrulz, is that God is not personal by nature, but in relationship. God is personal in the trinity (not in the character qualities of the Father, Son and Spirit individualy). It is the fact that the Son and the Spirit proceed from the Father that God is relational. It is in the economy (oikonomia) of the Trinity that God is personal. God's will is not expressed in the singleness of God (for the Trinity in itself is quite impassible, for it is from before the ages to beyond the ages). The Father and the Son and the Spirit relate to one another in a way that is completely united and unchanging for eternity. If this is not true, than God is no more able to Create than we are. God is grounded in Godself, not in God's "character qualities." So the will of the Father only means something because the will of the Son and the will of the Spirit are in perfect harmony with the will of the Father, and this unites them in singleness so that in this procession God is sustained in Godself. God does not need the Creation; the Creation needs God.

So to define God by human characteristics is idolatrous. God is not like humanity (for humans have taken their will and made it opposed to God). We have taken the gift of God extended to the Creation in the economy of God and have turned that to our own will, making God our enemy. We are no longer in God's image. The image of God was held in our obedience, not in ourselves. Image is held in our relationship to God, not in our "nature." Our nature is evil (because it leads us to death). So Jesus is the image of God; Adam was a false image (for he disobeyed). God does not favor the first-born, but favors the second (who was in fact the first over all).

God's personability is held not in God's nature, but in the very relationship of God with the Creation (i.e. the incarnation). The Word was first pronounced by God in the Creation, to be upheld by humanity. And that proclamation has not failed (it has only come in its own time, in the true and second Adam, namely Christ). The humans who thought they had a right to an inheritance that was not theirs have disobeyed and have removed themselves from the inheritance altogether. They thought they were more like God than they really were, and in so grabbing at the title have lost all God-likeness (the life God had given to them was revoked, so that they would return to dust, to the otherliness of their true nature).

Impassibility is not a sad reality; it is the fact that God in and of Godself is self-sufficient. In God is true relationship that has no need of the Creation. And the Creation is thus invited to share in that which is alien to it. The God who is other has drawn near to us to share with us that which is of God (a very eastern sentiment, theosis). The only way we have an Immanant God is if God is first other. For God cannot draw near to that which is already like God. God must first be other, and then God can become incarnate. To make God like us before we realize that God is quite other is only to engage in anthropomophism, beginning with ourselves and projecting ourselves onto God. And we will never know God, for our insistance in a God that is like us will only cause us to ignore the revelation of God that has drawn near to us in our otherness (in our darkness).

Peace,
Michael

P.S. - what about Paul's statements?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
The problem with Jim's objection is that he equates any action on our part in response to God with being a merritorious work.
Any action on our part, whether meritorious or not, undermines the sufficiency of Christ's finished work. The Biblical view is that Christ's death alone was sufficient to save those whom the Father gave Him; that no one given to Him by the Father would be lost. The Biblical view is that Christ stated unequivocally on the cross: "It is finished." The Open View assaults the sufficiency of Christ by putting conditions on salvation. On the Open Theist's conception of soteriology, Jesus could not say, "It is finished," because more would have to be added later. The best He could say would be: "Let's see if this works."

Clete said:
If I accept a gift from a friend, have I done something to deserve the gift by virue of the fact that I accepted it? No! Of course not.
What one "deserves" has nothing to do with it. Rather, it has everything to do with the sufficiency of Christ's work. If you had to accept the gift in order to receive salvation, then Christ's work was not sufficient to save you.

Clete said:
No one deserves salvation under any circumstances; no one deserves a wife under any circumstances. The only thing we all deserve is hell. That's what makes Christ's work so blessed and awesome for those He died for.

Godrulz said:
God macro vs micromanages. He does not determine, decree, nor predestine every moral and mundane choice in the universe.
He does. Absolutely. He holds every atom inside your brain together. Col 1:16,17. That's micromanagement.

Godrulz said:
His desire for give-and-take reciprocal love relationships necessitated giving us genuine freedom (introducing calculated risk) vs determinism.
False dichotomy. God predetermined that we would have give-and-take reciprocal love relationships.

Godrulz said:
One consequence is that He does not always get His way (though He will creatively bring His project and purposes to a positive conclusion) ...
God's decrees always comes to pass. But His commands are not always obeyed. Please have a look at the following link for elaboration on this. God's Prescriptive vs. Decretive Will.

Godrulz said:
... and that exhaustive foreknowledge of future contingencies becomes an absurdity.
Not an absurdity; a necessity. God must have exhaustive foreknowledge precisely because He determined it all in advance.

Godrulz said:
... His omnicompetence and ability ensure that He can respond to any contingency. He is not a cosmic control freak. He is a loving Father influencing His creation.
He is a loving Father who, through His son, holds every atom of the universe together. This is not a "cosmic control freak." This is God. He cannot NOT be in complete and utter cosmic control of all things whatsoever. Only the humanist/existentialist will be so bold and insolent as to question God's prerogative, indeed the necessity, to control the cosmos down to every last detail.

Hypocrite, moron, jackass, and liar,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.