Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I have read a little bit about bending flats and doing builds, but I had no idea where he was going with the 3 D printer.
    We probably read the same article about building a lower receiver from a 3-D printer. These printers are not cheap. They are worth more than the guns they would build. My understanding may be off, but I believe 3-D printers are somewhat the same as SLA machines. The SLA machines I used could build whatever parts I designed so long as I gave the machine an *.stl file format of the CAD part. SLA parts made this way are rigid plastic, but they are somewhat susceptible to UV. I imagine 3-D printers have solved that issue.

I have seen sheet metal stampings that can be turned into an AK receiver and AR receivers that just need drilling and tapping. The nice thing about these for the machining enthusiast is that you can mail order the parts. I haven't done it because I don't have a break for bending the sheet metal or a decent drill press or mill for the AR unfinished receiver.
    Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
    Eph 2:9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
    Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a friend who got busted by the BATF for making guns in his machine shop. He got off with fines, but it was scary. They surprise raided his house. He came out on the porch after answering the door and lots of guys with guns had his house surrounded. I would check laws carefully. He was definitely breaking some rules though. (he died from a brain tumor about 10 years ago)
    Marge: "Aren't you going to give him the last rites?"
    Rev. Lovejoy: "That's Catholic, Marge - you might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance."

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered the next round.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero45 View Post
    I had a friend who got busted by the BATF for making guns in his machine shop. He got off with fines, but it was scary. They surprise raided his house. He came out on the porch after answering the door and lots of guys with guns had his house surrounded. I would check laws carefully. He was definitely breaking some rules though. (he died from a brain tumor about 10 years ago)
    Hey that's cool...Nowadays they break down your door at 2:00 am. and shoot your dog
    Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
    ~Leonard Cohen

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ~Dalai Lama XIV

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice.
    Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
    Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm going to guess he got busted for breaking the rules rather than for making guns. He was probably either building weapons that required a tax stamp, without getting one first, or selling them.

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I ask a question?

Having never even held a gun, I have no idea about these things... but, there has been a massive increase in shootings in Adelaide of late and I was wondering about the kick-back from guns...

Do they all have a kick-back? If you had no experience firing a weapon, how difficult would the kick-back make shooting accurately? I assume that guns held to the shoulder would cause bruising but what about a hand gun? Can that cause damage to the forearm from the kick-back?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder's Muse View Post
    Do they all have a kick-back? If you had no experience firing a weapon, how difficult would the kick-back make shooting accurately? I assume that guns held to the shoulder would cause bruising but what about a hand gun? Can that cause damage to the forearm from the kick-back?
    All guns have recoil (kick back) to a degree, in some of the smaller calibers it is negligible depending on how sensitive the shooter is. Most people relate to recoil via pain, bruising, the feeling the weapon will jump out of their grip but that can be remedied through proper position and the manner one holds the weapon, as well as some weapons now have been designed to reduce the recoil but not all of them.

Best thing to do is simply find a gun dealer with a range and try out various calibers. Just keep in mind as your ability/training advances you will be able to deal with larger calibers to a point depending on your personal comfort level.
    Do not go gentile into that good night. D.Thomas

Out, Out, Brief Candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more, It is a tale told by an idiot, Full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing. W.S.

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
    All guns have recoil (kick back) to a degree, in some of the smaller calibers it is negligible depending on how sensitive the shooter is. Most people relate to recoil via pain, bruising, the feeling the weapon will jump out of their grip but that can be remedied through proper position and the manner one holds the weapon, as well as some weapons now have been designed to reduce the recoil but not all of them.

Best thing to do is simply find a gun dealer with a range and try out various calibers. Just keep in mind as your ability/training advances you will be able to deal with larger calibers to a point depending on your personal comfort level.

Thanks Lightbringer

Just my curiosity about how it all works, really.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder's Muse View Post
    Thanks Lightbringer

Just my curiosity about how it all works, really.
    Cool, enjoy the experience if you decide to become Annie Oakley.

Out, Out, Brief Candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more, It is a tale told by an idiot, Full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing. W.S.

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
    Cool, enjoy the experience if you decide to become Annie Oakley.

I was reading about her not long ago...

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my favorite quotes.

Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
    ~Leonard Cohen

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ~Dalai Lama XIV

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently bought my first semi-auto pistol. Picked up a S&W M&P 40 compact. Nice gun. Feels good, no problems shooting it and perfect for conceal carry. Holds 10+1. Should be plenty in the event I ever need it.

Of Course, it costs a fortune to shoot but its nice to look at
    Last edited by Choleric; March 6th, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Your issue is one of AUTHORITY. All heresy starts and ends where a person sets themselves above God's Word and becomes their own authority. It is disguised as "textual criticism" and "scholarship". All of it ends where the first lie began "Hath God Said?"

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Choleric View Post
    Recently bought my first semi-auto pistol. Picked up a S&W M&P 40 compact. Nice gun. Feels good, no problems shooting it and perfect for conceal carry. Holds 10+1. Should be plenty in the event I ever need it.

Try feeding a 50 caliber rifle.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    Hey that's cool...Nowadays they break down your door at 2:00 am. and shoot your dog
    Shoot the dog ya mean Fido doesn't at least rate a taser, mace or how about a bone. Poor Fido.

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Choleric View Post

If you can afford to buy 500 rds at a time, it is much cheaper to shoot. You should only have to run a box or two of hollowpoints to assure reliability before switching to "cheaper" flat points. I like the .40 S&W caliber round, as does my wife.

Thread Information