User Tag List

Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: GUNS!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So lucky, I live in one of the few states that doesn't allow concealed carry. I anticipate that will change and am in the market for a new firearm, probably a 9mm auto. My favorite is currently my HK .40

The more I think about it though, the more I don't want to carry. Too much responsibility. I tend to enjoy a beer or two. I tend to cause friction in my dumb small town. I also don't want to have to think about what I can wear and what buildings I can enter.

Great to have options though.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwp98 View Post
    So lucky, I live in one of the few states that doesn't allow concealed carry. I anticipate that will change and am in the market for a new firearm, probably a 9mm auto. My favorite is currently my HK .40

The more I think about it though, the more I don't want to carry. Too much responsibility. I tend to enjoy a beer or two. I tend to cause friction in my dumb small town. I also don't want to have to think about what I can wear and what buildings I can enter.

Great to have options though.
    It is true that it's not for everyone.
    Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
    ~Leonard Cohen

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ~Dalai Lama XIV

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For Your Post:

Tambora (August 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    It is true that it's not for everyone.
    Indeed not. I have taken multiple classes over the years and do not consider myself well-prepared. There are probably some people out there carrying who should not be.

But then, I'm not a pretty college girl or little old lady. I have no close family and don't count my life as valuable as that of a father of five, etc.

A good compromise may be to have a firearm in the glove box. (Still legally concealed, as opposed to open carry.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,776 Times in 2,551 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...[I]t's not for everyone.
    Last edited by serpentdove; October 20th, 2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: post error

What's new?
    PlastikBuddah [aka Gamera] make-believer. Kmoney [aka Count Iblis] make-believer. Alate_One deceives students in the classroom. Arthur Brain wants answers. Eph 5:11

"Being a square keeps you from going around in circles." ~ J Vernon McGee Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed not. I have taken multiple classes over the years and do not consider myself well-prepared. There are probably some people out there carrying who should not be.

But then, I'm not a pretty college girl or little old lady. I have no close family and don't count my life as valuable as that of a father of five, etc.

A good compromise may be to have a firearm in the glove box. (Still legally concealed, as opposed to open carry.)
    Welllll....contrary to popular belief I don't think it is possible to be "well prepared. I think it's only possible to be as prepared as you can be. I think anyone who thinks they are "ready" for a situation where deadly force is called for is either deluding themselves or just stupid.

I've no doubt that there are people who should not be carrying and are....but then there are alot of people who are driving cars who shouldn't be also.

I was never a big fan of the glove-box thing myself. Cars are easy things to break into and to take the steps necessary to keep a weapon from being easily stolen would as well keep it from being brought into use in a timely manner. In fact I tend to get rather irritable whenever I have to leave my weapon in the car because of restricted areas (Airport...Courthouse) not because I want to carry into these locations per se but because it is very frustrating to me that I am forced to leave my weapon in what I consider to be an "unsecured" location. I've often considered getting a strong box installed in my car under the seat or something. I'm kind of "funny" about guns.
    Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
    ~Leonard Cohen

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ~Dalai Lama XIV

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by serpentdove View Post
    Nope....If a person is not "relatively" sure that they can face the prospect of using deadly force (Not everyone is...there is no shame in this as far as I'm concerned...not everyone is "wired" the same) then they should not carry as they will only be a danger to themselves and others.
    ~Leonard Cohen

~Dalai Lama XIV

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For Your Post:

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope....If a person is not "relatively" sure that they can face the prospect of using deadly force (Not everyone is...there is no shame in this as far as I'm concerned...not everyone is "wired" the same) then they should not carry as they will only be a danger to themselves and others.
    If I were the Sherriff in jwp98's town, I don't believe I'd give him a conceal carry permit based on these statements:

"...The more I think about it though, the more I don't want to carry. Too much responsibility. I tend to enjoy a beer or two. I tend to cause friction in my dumb small town. I also don't want to have to think about what I can wear and what buildings I can enter..."

You said: "...[I]t's not for everyone."

I second that. I'm not concerned about his ability to use deadly force.

What's new?
    PlastikBuddah [aka Gamera] make-believer. Kmoney [aka Count Iblis] make-believer. Alate_One deceives students in the classroom. Arthur Brain wants answers. Eph 5:11

"Being a square keeps you from going around in circles." ~ J Vernon McGee Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were the Sherriff in jwp98's town, I don't believe I'd give him a conceal carry permit based on these statements:

"...The more I think about it though, the more I don't want to carry. Too much responsibility. I tend to enjoy a beer or two. I tend to cause friction in my dumb small town. I also don't want to have to think about what I can wear and what buildings I can enter..."

You said: "...[I]t's not for everyone."

I second that. I'm not concerned about his ability to use deadly force.
    You have a valid point...but it's a situation which is open to debate. In some people (me for example) the presence of a firearm at my side had just the opposite effect that one would (normally) think. I became even more polite and docile because of the knowledge that I can't afford to get into minor altercations due to the possibility of it getting out of hand. The responsibility to society which comes with the right I excercise weighs upon my thoughts and actions. The fact that jwp98 is considering these things could be considered evidence that he would, as well, be thoughtful of this responsibility and act accordingly.
    ~Leonard Cohen

~Dalai Lama XIV

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,951 Times in 6,967 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about it though, the more I don't want to carry. Too much responsibility.
    You don't want to have to be responsible for your own life? Sheesh.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

LoneStar (September 10th, 2016),Tambora (August 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...The fact that jwp98 is considering these things could be considered evidence that he would, as well, be thoughtful of this responsibility and act accordingly.
    Perhaps when he grows up, he can talk to the sheriff. For now, he should carry only a water pistol.

What's new?

One Post Wonder
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a permit, but don't carry. Its a pain in the butt with all the places that specifically don't allow it. I live in TX.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a valid point...but it's a situation which is open to debate. In some people (me for example) the presence of a firearm at my side had just the opposite effect that one would (normally) think. I became even more polite and docile because of the knowledge that I can't afford to get into minor altercations due to the possibility of it getting out of hand. The responsibility to society which comes with the right I excercise weighs upon my thoughts and actions. The fact that jwp98 is considering these things could be considered evidence that he would, as well, be thoughtful of this responsibility and act accordingly.
    You must spread some rep around before...yada yada yada!

" The responsibility to society which comes with the right I exercise weighs upon my thoughts and actions."
    Do not go gentile into that good night. D.Thomas

Out, Out, Brief Candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more, It is a tale told by an idiot, Full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing. W.S.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps when he grows up, he can talk to the sheriff. For now, he should carry only a water pistol.
    You consider it immature that a man would consider his personal limitations and behaviors before making the decision to carry a deadly weapon?
    Do not go gentile into that good night. D.Thomas

Out, Out, Brief Candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more, It is a tale told by an idiot, Full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing. W.S.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    But I would also like one of these. The description says it is a 1980 model.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos11/sep/4361thomp.html

I could get a class 3 lower that is tranferable. The lower on any AR15 variant is what defines it of course. 3 shot select fire. But I don't want to pay that stupid price, so I will settle for semi-auto.
    I don't have any interest in full auto. I don't like going through the ammo that fast.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Delmar For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I don't have any interest in full auto. I don't like going through the ammo that fast.
    Well, for normal defensive purposes full auto is kind of pointless. It's main application is tactical.

....But if you ever get the chance; try it, it's helluvalotta fun!

expensive though.
    ~Leonard Cohen

~Dalai Lama XIV

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For Your Post:

Thread Information