User Tag List

Page 6 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34567891656 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous and Varied Truth's of scripture!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,636 Times in 3,533 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Righteousness without the Law is Revealed !

Rom 3:21

21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Righteousness without the Law is revealed, or a Righteousness without Law, for there is no definite article in the greek here to specify any one and particular law, so what does this mean ? The WNT captures the sense very well it reads:

But now a righteousness coming from God has been brought to light apart from any Law, both Law and Prophets bearing witness to it--

Now many take this to mean the Ten Commandments or the Law of Moses, and it does, but its not exclusive to the Law of Moses. The greek word for Law here is the word nomos and means:

) anything established, anything received by usage, a custom, a law, a command

a) of any law whatsoever

1) a law or rule producing a state approved of God[Like Faith Heb 11:2]

a) by the observance of which is approved of God

2) a precept or injunction

3) the rule of action prescribed by reason

b) of the Mosaic law, and referring, acc. to the context. either to the volume of the law or to its contents

c) the Christian religion: the law demanding faith, the moral instruction given by Christ, esp. the precept concerning love

d) the name of the more important part (the Pentateuch), is put for the entire collection of the sacred books of the OT

As you can see the word has a wide application. So what is meant here ? " A Righteousness given without our Personal Obedience of any kind, without any conditions, no rule of action, no commands to be kept, no injunction or precept. Whats a precept ? Its defined as:

a commandment or direction given as a rule of action or conduct.

an injunction as to moral conduct; maxim.

a procedural directive or rule, as for the performance of some technical operation.

Law .

Now why is this ? Because Christ the God Man Mediator has worked out and earned and established a Righteousness for all whom He Lived and Died, and that Righteousness is Imputed to them. Paul writes Rom 4:6

Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Or without conditions to be kept !

This Righteousness is Freely Laid to their Account, Just as Freely as their sins were Laid to His account. This is a very difficult Blessing of Grace for the natural man to receive, however the Gospel reveals to the Heirs of Promise a Righteousness of God freely imputed to them without their personal obedience being a consideration or factor, so it comes to pass by the Sole Obedience of One, many shall be made Righteous Rom 5:19

19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Folks if we are Trusting in a Righteousness that we obtained by some kind of personal obedience on our behalf, then we have not the Faith of God's Elect, and are in danger of perishing in our sins lest God grant us Repentance from our Pride and Self Righteousness !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 6th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Titus 3:5 He saved us not because of anything we did!

Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Those who are Truly saved, its not because of anything we have done, no good behavior, no pleasing of God. Paul says it was not because of works of Righteousness which we have done. Now what are works of Righteousness ? Well the Greek word for works here is ergon and means:

business, employment, that which any one is occupied

a) that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2) any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3) an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

Notice, a work is a act or action, deed, or a thing that is done by us ! Folks if we are honest that covers a lot of territory, and thats God's Point.

Now lets look at the word Righteousness, it is the greek word dikaiosynē and means:

in a broad sense: state of him who is as he ought to be, righteousness, the condition acceptable to God

a) the doctrine concerning the way in which man may attain a state approved of God

b) integrity, virtue, purity of life, rightness, correctness of thinking feeling, and acting

2) in a narrower sense, justice or the virtue which gives each his due

Also:

righteous, observing divine laws

a) in a wide sense, upright, righteous, virtuous, keeping the commands of God

This also covers much territory, Righteousness, means observing Divine Laws, Keeping the Commands of God [Acts 17:30; 1 Jn 3:23] Are not Believing on Christ and or Repentance toward God commands of God ? Are they not righteous acts or deeds performed by the Mind ?

Now many believe they are saved because they have done these things !

The word done is the greek word poieō and means:

to act rightly, do well

Its the same word DO in Acts 16:30

30And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

Now if the Jailor was saved by his act of believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, then that's a contradiction to Titus 3:5, because then it must have been that he was saved because of something he did, a good right thing, a correct thing, a work of Righteousness !

The NIV 1984 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

NASB He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

Many in apostate religion today believe they are saved because they believed or because they repented, or because they were water baptized, all such people are deceived, and nothing short of a Divine work of Grace can cause them to see and turn from this evil self righteous, Christ Dishonoring way of thinking !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 7th, 2012 at 04:54 AM.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks
    Thanked 13,292 Times in 9,164 Posts

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    2 Tim 3:15-16

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

As we read and study the scriptures, God has been pleased at times to give us certain light and understanding on a particular portion of scripture; and as we feel the desire to testify to that Truth, it at times is difficult in placing it in any given Thread. So I would like to introduce a thread that is designed for varied Truth's of scripture, not really given to any certain subject, but yet its Truth the same.

The first scripture passage i will begin with is 2 Tim 1:9-10

9Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

What death is abolished, and what light and immortality is brought to light via the Gospel ?

Now in a real sense Christ hath abolished even physical death, but that only to be the last enemy to be manifested as destroyed at His Second Coming, when it will be declared 1 Cor 15:54-55,51-52

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

And at His coming, some Saints will have never tasted of physical death, which will indicate the abolishment of death physically vs

51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

But yet, even in this present life Christ by His death hath for the elect of God, hath abolished spiritual death, which by nature they are born dead in trespasses and sins Eph 2:1,5

1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved )

This being dead, is a death that Christ hath abolished. The word abolished is the greek word katargeō and means:

to render idle, unemployed, inactivate, inoperative

a) to cause a person or thing to have no further efficiency

b) to deprive of force, influence, power

2) to cause to cease, put an end to, do away with, annul, abolish

a) to cease, to pass away, be done away

b) to be severed from, separated from, discharged from, loosed from any one

c) to terminate all intercourse with one

Yes, for those whom Christ died and abolished death for, He for them causes spiritual death to cease, He puts an end to it, He annuls or abolishes it. Now How does He do that ?
    Are you directing this "thread"to the elect, or the "non elect?"
    Saint John W

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Are you directing this "thread"to the elect, or the "non elect?"
    Both ! So now do you understand what the post you quoted is saying ?

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Act of man !

Believing is an act of man, there simply is no denying it ! Now lets define an Act !

The Dictionary says:

As Noun

anything done, being done, or to be done; deed; performance: a heroic act.

the process of doing

As verb

to do something; exert energy or force; be employed or operative:

to operate or function in a particular way; perform specific duties or functions

to produce an effect; perform a function

to behave or conduct oneself in a particular fashion

Now lets Look at the definition of work of Eph 2:9

3) an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

Now, an act is a work, that cannot be denied given these definitions. Believing is something man does. Even Paul's answer to the question of the Jailor proves that. He asked Acts 16:30,31

Paul replied with an imperative ! vs 31

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

So Now, If anyone teaches or believes that they are saved from their sins because they believed, then they are claiming Salvation by their works, something they acted, they done. Such thinking is opposed to Salvation by Grace through Faith and not of works lest a man has cause to boast..

Charles Spurgeon !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,292 Times in 9,164 Posts

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Both ! So now do you understand what the post you quoted is saying?
    I know you do not understand.
    Saint John W

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Workmanship of God !

Eph 2:10

10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

The word for workmanship is poiēma and means:

that which has been made

2) a work

a) of the works of God as creator

Its liken unto the works of God in Creation Rom 1:20

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

We who are True Believers are the Workmanship of God, Made or Created in Christ Jesus [ Different from being created in Adam] unto Good Works. Faith and or Believing in Christ is one of the first of good works the New Creation acts out; Faith is of a Holy Production of a Renewed Mind Eph 4:23,24

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

For Believing is a production of the Mind, which is a work according to the definition of a work in Eph 2:9. Its the greek word ergon:

So Believing or Faith is a activity, an act, a deed, a thing done by the renewed Mind of a New Creation, for men to take credit for it makes them their own Creators, which is taking the place of God !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 11th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Charles Spurgeon !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus calls Believing a Work !

Faith or believing is an act of man, its our work, Jesus said in Jn 6:28-29

28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Its also a commandment 1 Jn 3:23

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

So everyone believing that they get saved because they believed on Christ, you believe in Salvation by your works, which is a denial of Salvation by Grace..
    Last edited by beloved57; February 11th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.

Charles Spurgeon !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does it mean to be Justified by Faith ?

Rom 5:1

1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

What does it mean here to be Justified by Faith ? To be certain it does not mean what many false teachers say it means or implies, and that is, that one is Justified before God or made Right before God because of their obedience unto faith that they place in Christ. They are erroneously teaching that mans faith or obedience is the CAUSE of ones Justification before God, and supposedly Rom 5:1 states that. However this is error and not the case because Two verses before Paul makes it clear that the Resurrection of Christ gave evidence of the Justification before God, of all those whose sins Christ was delivered to death in behalf of Rom 4:24-25

24But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Hence the vicarious death of Jesus Christ has fulfilled and completely satisfied all of God's Law and Justice on behalf of all those He died for and was raised again, so then they are Justified before God because of His Death of bearing their sins Rom 3:24 and Isa 53:11 and so Christ's Resurrection from the Dead proves that God's Law and Justice with all of its Righteous requirements were satisfied by His Life and Death, and all for whom He did this for, or in behalf of, are Justified of God BECAUSE OF HIS DEATH, and so they have been accepted of God, which is also Reconciled Rom 5:10. So the Causative Reason for onus's Justification before God, is not their personal faith or obedience, but the merits of Christ death, having satisfied God's Law and Justice on their behalf. So if this be True, we cannot accept Rom 5:1 to be teaching that one is Justified before God because of their exercising faith or belief in Christ, thats taking away from Christ's death's accomplishment and giving it to man ! That is Blasphemy !

So Faith in Rom 5:1 must be understood in a declarative role, in that it makes known to all those Christ died their Justified state before God, that's why Heb states about Faith Heb 11:1

1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

One's Justification before God because of Jesus Christ's vicarious Death for them is a invisible reality, one physically we do not see, but God gives Faith through the New Birth to Spiritually persuade the Mind of it's Reality , hence Rom 5:1 !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 12th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Charles Spurgeon !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does Rom 4:5 teach ?

Rom 4:5

5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Let's look at another scripture that the false teachers like to wrest to their own destruction. This scripture speaks of one's faith being accounted as righteous, but what does that really mean ? Surely Paul is not saying that ones own personal faith is their righteousness or that ones own faith is causative of their righteousness ! You see, Faith is a Grace that receives that Righteousness by which the One's Christ died for are made Righteous; Rom 1:16-17

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Paul explains in this passage that by the Gospel a Righteousness of God is revealed or made known to Faith, so if Faith receives the revelation of a Righteousness that is not it's own, but of God, then it cannot be that Righteousness. So Faith in Rom 4:5 must be understood as to its object of Faith as being ones Righteousness, which is Christ 1 Cor 1:30

30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

True Believers have been made Righteous or Justified by the Obedience of One, which is Christ, and not by their Faith, Paul teaches that believers had been Justified by His Blood Rom 5:9 and that they had been made Righteous by His Obedience Rom 5:19b, and so not by their own personal believing or Faith, which receives the knowledge of the blessing ! So Faith in Rom 4:5 means Christ Righteousness revealed has been accounted as Righteousness !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 13th, 2012 at 06:39 AM.

Charles Spurgeon !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rom 5:1

Justification by Faith is the peaceful knowledge or awareness of our Gracious Justification before God because of Christ's Obedience !

Charles Spurgeon !

18. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Righteousness is not by law !

Gal 2:21

I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

If Righteousness comes by the Law, Christ is dead in vain, that is if Righteousness or Justification before God is premised on our personal obedience, then Christ's Death is worthless or in vain.

The word law in this verse in the greek is without the definite article, so its not restricted to any specific law, but the principle of law in general is meant and can be applied, it is the greek word nomos and means:

anything established, anything received by usage, a custom, a law,

a command

a) of any law whatsoever

a precept or injunction

3) the rule of action prescribed by reason

You see, Believing on Christ is a command or an imperative. Paul told the Jailor in Acts 16:30-31

31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

The word believe here is in the imperative mood, which mood denotes:

The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearers.

Command means:

to direct with specific authority or prerogative; order: The captain commanded his men to attack.

to require authoritatively; demand: She commanded silence.

to have or exercise authority or control over; be master of; have at one's bidding or disposal: The Pharaoh commanded 10,000 slaves.

So, if one gets saved or becomes Righteous, or is Justified by obedience to any command whatsoever, then Christ death is in vain for them, it is for naught.

Now, it behooves us to understand what Paul and Silas really meant when they gave the imperative Believe in Acts 16:31. Did they make Believing a condition for the Jailor to obey in order to get saved ? If they did, then they were teaching Righteousness by Law ! Yet most in the modern religious world say that is what they taught by that. However they were not teaching that at all, but they were giving instruction to one who gave evidence of being already spiritually saved and being alarmed of his sinful condition, of such it is appropriate to speak to them the word of the Lord, the Gospel of their Salvation, but if we insist that the Jailor was in a unregenerate state at this time, and he was given a command or imperative to believe in order to get saved by that act of obedience of his, then we teach Righteousness by Law, and make Christ's Death of none effect !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 16th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Charles Spurgeon !

20. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Self Salvation or Justification !

If the act of ones believing on Christ is their actual Justification or Salvation, then we save ourselves, we make ourselves Justified before God by what we do, we become our own saviour !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 21st, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Charles Spurgeon !

22. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died !

Many fail to understand what Paul means here Rom 8:33-34

33Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Paul is basically saying, none can be condemned for whom Christ DIED. Because thats why He Died, to be condemned for them, for their sins 1 Cor 15:3

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1 Pet 2:24

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Yes, Christ was condemned in the Flesh for the sins of those He died for. The word condemned in Rom 8:34 is the greek word katakrinō and means:

to give judgment against, to judge worthy of punishment

Christ was Judged worthy of punishment [by imputation] for all those He died for.

Rom 8:3

3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Christ came into the world to be condemned in His Flesh for the sins of those He died for ! Its the same word condemned as used in Rom 8:34, thats why He died, to receive the condemnation of sin for those He died for. He satisfied to the fullest all of God's Law and Justice in their behalf, that the question is in regard to them:

Christ's Death for them, Gives God no reason to hold them in condemnation. Why ? Was it because they repented ? How about because they believed ? How about because they were water baptized ? No, No and No again, it was simply because " it is Christ who died" He bore their condemnation that they deserved, for He personally did no sin.

But God sent His Son into the world, made of a woman and made under the law Gal 4:4

But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

Why ? So that He could condemn sin in the flesh, meaning that He would be condemned in His Flesh for all the sins of all those he died for, The Elect or The Church. He died a condemned death as a Surety for His Church, God's Elect.

So in Justice to Christ's work and Death, it is impossible, and it would be unjust, If one person whom Christ died for shall ever come under God's Condemnation !
    Last edited by beloved57; February 21st, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Charles Spurgeon !

24. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all those He died for, took upon Himself their condemnation for sin, God's violated law, for scripture says that Rom 4:25

25Who was delivered for our offenses, and was raised again for our justification.

He was delivered to the sword of Divine Justice, not on account of His Offenses, but on account of the offenses of all for whom He died.

The word delivered is the greek word paradidōmi and means:

to deliver up one to custody, to be judged, condemned, punished, scourged, tormented, put to death

He delivered up to be condemned, to be punished, For all those He died for ! And to show that God the Father accepted His Sacrifice for the sins of all for whom He died, He was raised again on account of their Justification. Folks, if any one person for whom Christ died and was condemned in their stead , if any one of them is ever condemned by God, for any charge, Christ should not have been risen from the dead, because that meant something was not all the way taken care of by Christ being condemned and punished for them. If anyone Christ died for goes to hell, the resurrection of Christ was a farce, and the Gospel is meaningless 1 Cor 15:3-4

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Now if Christ really rose from the dead, then those He died for are really Justified, and God can never world without end lay any charge against them. If we fail to preach as Paul preached in Rom 4:25, that Christ's Resurrection declares all for who's offenses were laid to His Charge, and was condemned for, and that they are Justified before God, then they fail to Preach the Gospel of God, which makes the Gospel they preach a False Gospel.
    Last edited by beloved57; March 1st, 2012 at 07:31 AM.

Charles Spurgeon !

26. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (April 6th, 2019)

Thread Information