Jesus is God

Jesus is God

• Total voters

Right Divider

Body part
You have proven many times over the years that you do not understand what the Bible really teaches, so your endorsement means nothing.
You have proven many times over the years that you do not understand what the Bible really teaches, so your criticism means nothing.

No, the Bible never teaches the Trinity, and the churches teach it despite the silence of scripture.
Repeatedly... here is just one example (that you will, no doubt, not understand):

Mat 28:19 KJV Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

ONE NAME (authority) and THREE PERSONS. In other words, the FATHER, the SON and the HOLY GHOST all share the SAME AUTHORITY.

All that means is that you have proof texts that you believe support your belief and you ignore all the evidence in the scriptures that contradict your belief.
Why did you CUT out the part about this?
There are many good Christians who believe in the deity of Christ and don't believe the Trinity doctrine.
Please document this belief in "the deity of Christ" apart from the Trinity doctrine.

genuineoriginal

What more proof do you need?
The Bible was written for the Jews as if there are many gods but that Israel is to follow only YHWH as their God.
Even Paul teaches this way.

Monolatry in Christianity

Monolatry (Greek: μόνος [monos] = single, and λατρεία [latreia] = worship) is belief in the existence of many gods but with the consistent worship of only one deity.

Paul the Apostle, in his First Epistle to the Corinthians, writes that "we know that an idol is nothing" and "that there is none other God but one" (1 Corinthians 8:4-6). He argues in verse 5 that "for though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth", "but to us there is but one God". Paul distinguishes between gods that have no authority or have a lesser authority, "as there be gods many, and lords many", and the one God who has universal authority, "one God, the Father, of whom are all things" and "one Lord, Jesus Christ, of whom are all things". Some translators of verse 5, put the words "gods" and "lords" in quotes to indicate that they are gods or lords only so-called.

In his Second Epistle to the Corinthians, Paul refers to "the god of this world" (2 Corinthians 4:4), which the eighteenth-century theologian John Gill interpreted as a reference to Satan or the material things put before God, such as money, rather than acknowledging any separate deity from God.

Christians are taught to worship the Father as God and obey Jesus as Lord.

Right Divider

Body part
So you think that the God of the OT is not Lord?

Gen 2:4 KJV These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

This did nothing to address the belief in "the deity of Christ" apart from the Trinity doctrine.

God's Truth

What does that statement say about your ability to understand what the Bible really teaches?

There are many good Christians who believe in the deity of Christ and don't believe the Trinity doctrine.
The reason you can't persuade them that the Bible teaches the Trinity is because the Bible doesn't teach the Trinity, the church teaches it.
You can't come up with any rational argument to try to persuade them because the Trinity is not a rational doctrine, it is a doctrine of "faith".

Right, the trinity doctrine isn't the most accurate explanation, but there are three. Jesus is "deity", but not another deity. Jesus is God come in the flesh as a son. There is only one Spirit, and it is God's Spirit, and the Spirit is the Lord.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called;

That scripture also shows that there isn't one hope and calling for the Jews and another one for the Gentiles.

Jesus is the One speaking in the Old Testament, and the Bible calls that One God the Father.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
The reason you can't persuade them that the Bible teaches the Trinity is because the Bible doesn't teach the Trinity, the church teaches it.

The Bible teaches the Trinity.

No one who does not believe in the Trinity is a Christian.

Neither the word, 'trinity', nor the phrase, 'the Trinity', are found in the Bible. Does that bother you? Some people pretend to think that for the Bible to teach the Trinity necessitates that the phrase, 'the Trinity', should be able to be found in the Bible. Of course, the same people show themselves to be the hypocritical fools they are, when--after stating the obvious by telling us that the phrase, 'the Trinity', is not found in the Bible--they tell us, out of the other side of their mouth, that the Bible teaches against the Trinity.

Now, would you be so kind as to tell us where, in the Bible, we can find the word, 'deity'? Would you please tell us where we can find the phrase, 'the deity of Christ'? Would you please tell us where we can find the phrase, 'the deity of God', or the phrase, 'the deity of God the Father'? If you're one of those who say that the Biblical absence of the phrase, 'the Trinity', necessitates that the Bible does not teach the Trinity, then I'll be amused to hear what special pleading you come up with in an attempt defend your self-inconsistency in saying that the Bible teaches the deity of YHWH, despite the Biblical absence of the phrase, 'the deity of YHWH'.

You can't come up with any rational argument to try to persuade them because the Trinity is not a rational doctrine, it is a doctrine of "faith".

Here, you're admitting that "you can't come up with any rational argument" against the Trinity--not even from the Bible.

7djengo7

Here, you claim that the Bible does not teach the Trinity:

No, the Bible never teaches the Trinity, and the churches teach it despite the silence of scripture.

Here, you go further than merely claiming that the Bible does not teach the Trinity; you are claiming that the Bible contradicts--in other words, teaches against--the Trinity:

...you ignore all the evidence in the scriptures that contradict your belief.

By your phrase, above--"the silence of scripture"--do you actually mean anything? If so, then what, exactly, do you mean by it? For, you have just (in your above-quoted, "the scriptures that contradict" line) clarified one thing: you do consider the Bible to NOT be silent concerning the Trinity. For, to contradict--to teach against--the Trinity is to NOT be silent concerning the Trinity.

So, according to you, the Bible contradicts--teaches against--the Trinity; yet the Bible "can't come up with any rational argument to try to persuade" people against the very thing which you say the Bible teaches against. I guess you think that the Bible--if it comes up with any argument against the Trinity--is doomed to come up only with an irrational one. No?

7djengo7

What about the Hebrews? Were they taught to worship God?

As per Jesus Christ, at Mark 12:29-30:

The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Whom would you say Christians are to love with all their heart, and with all their soul, and with all their mind, and with all their strength? Jesus? God the Father? Both? Neither?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
What does that statement say about your ability to understand what the Bible really teaches?
A great deal.

What?

Are you making things up as you go now or what?

What do you consider "many", two, three maybe ten? I bet you can't prove the existence of even that many and even if you could, I'm not arguing on the basis of popularity (or the lack thereof) anyway. The number of people who believe something has nothing to do with whether it is true or not.

Further, and more importantly, if you consider yourself to be among these "many Christians" you have already conceded the debate and don't know it because if there can two members of the Godhead, there can be three. No objection you can think of to refute the later won't also refute the former unless you want to take on the task of arguing that the Holy Spirit is not God.

Actually, the version of the Trinity doctrine that the church most often teaches is quite different from that which the bible teaches and cannot be defended biblically or rationally because it is intentionally irrational and is always defended as "a doctrine of "faith", as you suggest. They teach that God is somehow both plural and singular - period. In other words, they teach that the adjectives "plural" and "singular" describe God in the same context. I do not make any attempt to defend that doctrine.

You bring up rationality and I feel it necessary to define that term. There is one fundamental building block of all knowledge, understanding and meaningful discourse. We call it the law of identity. What is, is. A is A. Everything you know, everything you've ever understood and every syllable of meaningful communication you've ever experienced is all entirely based on that single truth and it's two corollaries, the law of contradiction which states that any two truth claims that contradict each other cannot both be true in the same context (i.e. at the same time and in the same way) and the law of excluded middle which states that a truth claim is either true or it is false given its specific context. These laws were not invented or created, they were discovered. They are the laws that reality follows and as such to be rational simply means to conform one's mind to reality.

The doctrine of the Trinity as taught most commonly by the church stands in direct conflict with the law of contradiction because I stated before they teach that God is both singular and plural in the same context. It is essentially an overstatement of what the bible teaches.

So what does the bible teach?

It teaches that there is one God and only one God.
It teaches that the Father is that God.
It teaches that the Son, who became a man whom we call Jesus Christ and who died and rose from the dead is that God.
It teaches that the Holy Spirit is that God.
It teaches that the Son is not the Father nor is He the Spirit and neither is the Spirit the Father.

In regards to specifics, that's pretty much all it teaches. The bible does indicate right from the very first sentence of the bible that there is a plurality in God but no details are given about this beyond what I've just listed.

So, how is that any different than what the rest of the church teaches?
Well, as far as I've gone to this point, it isn't. It's the conclusions they draw that are where they go too far. They presume that because the above listed biblical facts are undeniable that, therefore, God is both singular and plural and they intentionally state it as a contradiction that they are willing to accept as true on "faith". The problem for them is that the bible doesn't teach it as a contradiction and does not ask us to accept it as such. On the contrary, I am content to believe the biblical facts and leave it at that. There is clearly some way in which a plurality exists within the SINGULAR God. The Father, Son and Spirit are distinct from one another in one sense but are also One God - and here's the important bit - IN SOME OTHER SENSE. The details of how this works are not explained to us but the correct response to this lack of information is not to throw reason in the sewer and accept a contradiction as truth. To do that would render any wild-eyed insanity that any cult leader wanted to teach utterly unfalsifiable. It is not faith to accept stupidity as truth. It is, however, faith when one says to God that I accept your word and will await further understanding when you choose to provide it.

Clete

7djengo7

It teaches that the Son is not the Father nor is He the Spirit and neither is the Spirit the Father.

True, true, and true.

Clete, one fun thing I found out at some point over the course of the last year is what to say to unitarian anti-Trinitarians when they say that Jesus is not God, and when they say that the Holy Spirit is not God. Just ask them to tell you to whom, exactly, they are referring by the word, "God", when they say, for instance, "Jesus is not God". Since they, by their own admission, are referring, by "God", exclusively to God the Father, all they are doing is stating the Bible truth that Jesus is not God the Father. And, how is the obvious Bible truth that Jesus is not God the Father supposed to be shocking, and an affront to the Trinity?

By saying that

Jesus is not God,

they mean that

Jesus is not [God the Father].

Frustrated, they realize they simply can't do anything with that, once you point out that all they're doing is agreeing, in part, with Trinitarianism. It's amusing, because in their arrogant, heretical pride, they go about with an air of triumphalism, shouting, "Jesus is not God", not even noticing that all they're doing is proclaiming, "Filius non est Pater!"

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
True, true, and true.

Clete, one fun thing I found out at some point over the course of the last year is what to say to unitarian anti-Trinitarians when they say that Jesus is not God, and when they say that the Holy Spirit is not God. Just ask them to tell you to whom, exactly, they are referring by the word, "God", when they say, for instance, "Jesus is not God". Since they, by their own admission, are referring, by "God", exclusively to God the Father, all they are doing is stating the Bible truth that Jesus is not God the Father. And, how is the obvious Bible truth that Jesus is not God the Father supposed to be shocking, and an affront to the Trinity?

By saying that

they mean that

Frustrated, they realize they simply can't do anything with that, once you point out that all they're doing is agreeing, in part, with Trinitarianism. It's amusing, because in their arrogant, heretical pride, they go about with an air of triumphalism, shouting, "Jesus is not God", not even noticing that all they're doing is proclaiming, "Filius non est Pater!"

I have no doubt at all that there are many that this is entirely true of but there sure aren't too many of that type of anti-trinitarians around here. The ones I've engaged around here believe that there is one God and that Jesus aint Him. They deny that Jesus is God - period. Even John 1 and Rev. 1 don't seem to move them an inch except that it silences them, which is to say that they don't respond in any kind of substantive way to what those passages say.

Your point is well taken though! I will be keeping it in mind and will give it a shot the next time I find the opportunity.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I have no doubt at all that there are many that this is entirely true of but there sure aren't too many of that type of anti-trinitarians around here. The ones I've engaged around here believe that there is one God and that Jesus aint Him. They deny that Jesus is God - period. Even John 1 and Rev. 1 don't seem to move them an inch except that it silences them, which is to say that they don't respond in any kind of substantive way to what those passages say.

Your point is well taken though! I will be keeping it in mind and will give it a shot the next time I find the opportunity.

You've already met one.

GT is one. She believes Jesus is God, but rejects the Trinity.

She claims Jesus is God the Father with a body, basically.

Right Divider

Body part
You've already met one.

GT is one. She believes Jesus is God, but rejects the Trinity.

She claims Jesus is God the Father with a body, basically.

Indeed, she has a strange view... see my signature for more details (the members of the trinity are not persons, but "figures").

God's Truth

True, true, and true.

By saying that

they mean that

The people who say Jesus is not God, they are not saying Jesus is not God the Father, they are saying Jesus isn't God period.

TrevorL

Greetings 7djengo7,
I appreciate the private New Year message and question why I have not been seen much on TOL lately. I tried to reply but not sure if it worked. Have a Happy New Year. One reason I have not posted is that there does not seem to be much new matter or interesting discussion, as evidenced by this thread and the many tired and repeated threads.

I could have answered any of the recent posts here as the members all seem to be Trinitarians. I do not feel at all frustrated by saying (not shouting) "Jesus is not God", because I believe that there is One God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ is The Son of God.

Kind regards
Trevor

God's Truth

Indeed, she has a strange view... see my signature for more details (the members of the trinity are not persons, but "figures").

You've had that in your signature for a long time.

After getting saved, the trinity was truth to me because it says Jesus is God and everyone else said no he isn't God.

When trying to defend the trinity doctrine one day, it was revealed to me that it couldn't be explained the way the trinity doctrine says about God being a plural word and the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit being different and separate.

Right Divider

Body part

GT, like so many others, misunderstand scripture to mean what it does not actually say. Therefore, she and others, are very confused and support false doctrines (like her "figures" nonsense, see my signature.).

She get the "only the father is God" from 1 Cor 8:6. If she follows her foolish logic to its logical conclusion, then the Father is not Lord.

Note that 1 Cor 8:6 is NOT say that "only the Father is God".