Unbeliever impressions of BR X debate

fool

Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
I do not wish to stereotype atheists.

There are two options: we can make God boss of our life, or we can live supremely for Self (even if we are not so bad...we still live moment by moment as if there is no God, even if we intellectually believe in God).

There are two kinds of people:

Those who say to God: "Thy will be done."

Those to whom God says, "OK, thy will be done."
That's all you got, A cliche' ?
Sorry about that comment.
lets try this.
For those that say "Thy will be done"
By what standard do they determine God's will?
Why are two Christians having a debate if God's will is clear?
The debate seems to go like this:
Theist: God is absolute!
Atheist: Absolutly subjective to your interpertion of him!
Here at the battle royal we see two people who agree on the truth of a book, yet are having a formal arguement over what it means!
It's got subjective written all over it.

fool

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
I know better.

I've been around the issue and Bob Enyart long enough to know who is going to win the debate. The fun is only in watching it unfold and perhaps learning a new tactic by which to cream other Calvinists in future debates.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Sounds like you got your mind made up already.

Freak

Clete said:
I know better.

I've been around the issue and Bob Enyart long enough to know who is going to win the debate. The fun is only in watching it unfold and perhaps learning a new tactic by which to cream other Calvinists in future debates.
Is that what this debate is about? Learning tactics to "cream" other believers? :rolleyes:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
fool said:
That's all you got, A cliche' ?
Sorry about that comment.
lets try this.
For those that say "Thy will be done"
By what standard do they determine God's will?
Why are two Christians having a debate if God's will is clear?
The debate seems to go like this:
Theist: God is absolute!
Atheist: Absolutly subjective to your interpertion of him!
Here at the battle royal we see two people who agree on the truth of a book, yet are having a formal arguement over what it means!
It's got subjective written all over it.

Our interpretations are subjective at times since we are not perfect. We generally agree on the essentials, but can be divided on peripheral issues. The nature of this debate will also go beyond explicit Scripture to issues of philosophy and logic (modal, etc.). It is the glory of a king to search out a matter. It beats sticking one's head in the sand like many atheists do.

The Word of God is absolute truth. It can be known objectively. Our subjectivity is a reflection on us (prone to preconceived ideas, etc.), not on the inherent revelation of God.

The Psalmist has said that the fool says in his heart that there is no God. The Hebrew word refers to a moral fool, the ungodly, not necessarily to one's belief system. Most North Americans believe in God with their head, but live as if He does not exist. You may be an intellectual atheist, but they are functional atheists/agnostics (or pseudo-theists).

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Freak said:
Is that what this debate is about? Learning tactics to "cream" other believers? :rolleyes:
Well, not directly no. But I learn what I can when I can, as should you.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
fool said:
Sounds like you got your mind made up already.
Well, I'm not apposed to being proven wrong if that's what you mean. I try to be as intellectually honest as I can be. It's just that after a while a pattern begins to emerge where people show up to debate Bob Enyart and get pulverized beyond recognition. Before long you just sort of expect it to happen.

Let's just say that I'll be shocked and awed beyond description if Bob gets his hat handed to him on this one. Whether such an occurrence would lead me to change my mind about open theism depends on how and why it happened.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Freak said:
Perhaps you'll learn something from Dr. Sam. Possible? :think:

I am sure we can, but it will likely be a regurgitation of Calvinistic ideas or common objections to Open Theism. Most anti-OT books I have read misunderstand or misrepresent the view..e.g. they confuse it with Process Theology/finite godism.

Freak

godrulz said:
I am sure we can, but it will likely be a regurgitation of Calvinistic ideas or common objections to Open Theism. Most anti-OT books I have read misunderstand or misrepresent the view..e.g. they confuse it with Process Theology/finite godism.
Alittle unfair to say the least. :down:

fool

Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
Our interpretations are subjective at times since we are not perfect. We generally agree on the essentials, but can be divided on peripheral issues. The nature of this debate will also go beyond explicit Scripture to issues of philosophy and logic (modal, etc.). It is the glory of a king to search out a matter. It beats sticking one's head in the sand like many atheists do.
What's the difference between a Christian with his head in the sand and an Atheist with his head in the sand?Or a Jew with his head in the sand? Or a Muslim with his head in the sand? Or a Hindu? Or a Buhddist? Or a Wiccan? Or one of them New Age Hippie Crystal Grippers?
godrulz said:
The Word of God is absolute truth. It can be known objectively. Our subjectivity is a reflection on us (prone to preconceived ideas, etc.), not on the inherent revelation of God.
How can we know something objectively if we are subject to subjectivity?
godrulz said:
The Psalmist has said that the fool says in his heart that there is no God. The Hebrew word refers to a moral fool, the ungodly, not necessarily to one's belief system. Most North Americans believe in God with their head, but live as if He does not exist. You may be an intellectual atheist, but they are functional atheists/agnostics (or pseudo-theists).
What about the functional theists (or pseudo- atheists)?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
fool said:
What are you gonna get out of it Clete?
If your position gets creamed are you gonna switch?
Okay, if Bob converts to Hinduism, I'll drop open theism.

Balder

fool said:
What's the difference between a Christian with his head in the sand and an Atheist with his head in the sand?Or a Jew with his head in the sand? Or a Muslim with his head in the sand? Or a Hindu? Or a Buhddist? Or a Wiccan? Or one of them New Age Hippie Crystal Grippers?
The Atheist is practicing for the big dirt nap.

The Jew is looking for water from a stone.

The Muslim is about to get stoned.

The Hindu can do it for one hour without breathing.

The Buddhist is at peace, dirt or no dirt.

The Wiccan is looking for worms or toads.

The New Ager is just feeling the ley lines, man.

Balder said:

:rotfl:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Balder said:

:thumb:

:grave: