And yet another reason to add to the list

QueenAtHome

Yesterday and today the schools in my area have been closed because of the bitter cold weather that we are currently experienceing.

Atleast my kids don't have to worry about getting hypothermia and/or frost bite from walking down the stairs to do their lessons.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
hoosiermommy said:
Yesterday and today the schools in my area have been closed because of the bitter cold weather that we are currently experienceing.

Atleast my kids don't have to worry about getting hypothermia and/or frost bite from walking down the stairs to do their lessons.

: laughing : While I see this as a positive thing, my daughter gets somewhat grumpy about not getting "snowdays"... that is ...until she realizes she gets out of school in the spring sooner... :)

Nineveh

Merely Christian
...and another reason...

A Missouri public school is pursuing a complaint against a mother for withdrawing her son and daughter from the school and teaching them at home, after an apparent threat to the daughter's life at the school.

The case involves Moberly, Mo., mother Anita Nicoli, who withdrew her daughter and a son from Moberly Middle School recently after what she has described as a two-year campaign of intimidation by other students.

The breaking point came when another student, who allegedly had harassed and assaulted her daughter, drew a picture of herself holding a gun and pointing it directly at Nicoli's daughter. The picture was passed around among students, she said.

The incident that she perceived as a threat was especially egregious, she told WND, because the student who drew the picture showed it to her daughter, and then other students saw it as well. One student told a teacher, who took the picture. But Nicoli said when she found out and wanted a copy of the offending picture to pursue a complaint, the school told her it had been lost.

Drawings of weapons in schools aren't new. In fact, WND reported just weeks ago that a 13-year-old in an Arizona school was suspended for three days for drawing a sketch of a gun, even without any targeted individual. More...

Nineveh

Merely Christian
An update:

A Missouri mom who was facing an investigation after school officials complained she was homeschooling two of her children has been cleared for now, but lawyers say they will be watching the situation there closely.

WND earlier reported on the case against Anita Nicoli, which was closed as a result of a meeting she and her lawyer had with a representative of the government's social services agency in Moberly, officials said, but statements the juvenile officer made during the meeting are triggering additional concern.

"We are concerned, based on statements during that meeting, that officials may be arbitrarily launching investigations on every family who decides to homeschool their children," said a statement from the Home School Legal Defense Association. More...

Reminds me of Dr. Claw at the end of every Inspector Gadget cartoon, "I'll get you next time, Gadget! Next time!"

QueenAtHome

Not that I want to troll my own thread, but let me get this straight...

The school is suing the mother for taking her children out of school? :liberals:

The same school district that allowed her children to be ridiculed & harassed is now filing suit against her? :kookoo:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Not that I want to troll my own thread, but let me get this straight...

The school is suing the mother for taking her children out of school? :liberals:

The same school district that allowed her children to be ridiculed & harassed is now filing suit against her? :kookoo:

Odd isn't it? With all the "no harassment" policies going around and the "zero tolerance" on weapons, these kids were harassed and threatened for years. So when mom steps up to protect her kids the "evidence" disappears and she gets scrutinized for "neglect". Personally, I think the school just wants the funds and for this mother to shut up while they "socialize" her kids.

Too bad she hasn't found TOL yet :)

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So if the school ever demands that you send your kids to school go ahead and send them. Send them each with a pocket knife, and the school will send them straight home!