homeschooling : fear.......

Minerva

For any veteran homeschoolers out there, I have about 1 year until my kids will start being homeschooled. I am considerably scared (which is very out of character for me)...do you think this means that I should reconsider? IYO - How much fear is normal in this situation? How many of you were scared when you first started?

Also, I have three books:

" 50 Veteran Homeschoolers Share :Things We wish We'd Known"

"Educating The Wholeheated Child"

"Charlotte Mason Companion : Personal Reflections on The Gentle Art of Learning"

Has anone else read any of these and found them helpful, or do you have any other good suggestions of a book that would help prepare me for the task?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

webby

Axe dropper
Administrator
Homeschooling is scary! But its less scary than having your children be brainwashed (or worse) by the public school system.

Minerva

webmaster said:
Homeschooling is scary! But its less scary than having your children be brainwashed (or worse) by the public school system.

You got that right! I am just not sure exactly what it is I am scared of. Don't get me wrong, I am not reconsidering, I just wanted to know what others thought.

webby

Axe dropper
Administrator
Minerva said:
You got that right! I am just not sure exactly what it is I am scared of. Don't get me wrong, I am not reconsidering, I just wanted to know what others thought.
Homeschooling is freedom.

And at very worst you can always change your mind later on. (although I wouldn't recommend that).

unspoken

I think my mother found Susan Wise Bauer to be quite good. One of her books is "The Well-Trained Mind" (or "The Well-Trained Child", I forget which...) she's all about some classical education. I read part of the book (I like reading, okay? :noid: ) and it sounded pretty good. :D

Homeschooling is way scary. It's also incredibly rewarding. :) I'm cheerin' for ya! :thumb:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Minerva said:
For any veteran homeschoolers out there, I have about 1 year until my kids will start being homeschooled. I am considerably scared (which is very out of character for me)...do you think this means that I should reconsider? IYO - How much fear is normal in this situation? How many of you were scared when you first started?

"Charlotte Mason Companion : Personal Reflections on The Gentle Art of Learning"

Has anone else read any of these and found them helpful, or do you have any other good suggestions of a book that would help prepare me for the task?

Before my husband and I had made the decision and right after we had made the decision to homeschool, I was scared to death. I was afraid that I couldn't teach my daughter. I was afraid that, despite my good intentions and best efforts, she would end up not getting a good education. Now, nine years later, I laugh at my fears. I've realized that I bought into the line that public school teachers gave me that I "wasn't qualified to teach" my daughter. I believed the lie they told me about how my daughter would end up being "way behind" her peers by the time we were done if I didn't leave her in public school. I started homeschooling for the same reason that I continue homeschooling today. My daughter is so far ahead of her peers, academically, that putting her into public school would cause her to fall behind.

Minerva, you'll be all right. You can teach your children. You and they will be fine. You'll enjoy the time you spend with them more than you may think you will.

I've never read any of those books. I always had homeschooling parents to lean on until I moved in 1999. Then, I had homeschoolers on TOL to help me to know that I made the right decision. I'm going to offer you what I received from veteran homeschoolers, a supporter, an ear, and a shoulder. If you ever need someone to talk to or just to listen to you, send me an e-mail. I will PM you my phone number so that you have an actual voice to talk to if you prefer that. My daughter's now seventeen years old and doing most of her own schooling, so I'm getting a job (I should hear whether I have it within the next two weeks). But, someone's always at my house. Plus, I have voice mail, if I miss your call. Sounds, to me, like you need a cheerleader. I'll be that for you, if you wish.

Nori

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Minerva said:
do you have any other good suggestions of a book that would help prepare me for the task?

To train up a Child

No greater Joy 1, 2 and 3

The Holy Bible by God.

swanca99

I don't recall having any fear about it, or seeing any in my wife (who did most of the work anyway), but perhaps that's because we took advantage of some resources.

One of the local Lutheran churches, that had a school, had something called the Home Education Institute associated with the school. We were with them for the first few years, and they were a lot of help.

We were concerned about harassment from the school board, so we joined the Home School Legal Defense Association and the Texas Home School Coalition.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bad home schooling is better than good public schooling. Trust me on this.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
We have been homeschooling for about a year and a half. At first it was kinda scary, but with some help it wasnt real hard to get going. We got a lot of advice from a store that sells used homeschool supplies. We also joined a Christian homeschooling group, that is full of cool people who cant wait to help when my wife asks questions. I don't think my wife read any books about it before we started. She was a bit nervous at first, but now she loves it.

My advice would be, see if you can find a local homeschool group and talk with them. They will know the laws for your area, and help you find resources, and answer questions.

Hope it goes well for you, we think it's great. :up:

QueenAtHome

Minerva said:

I am reading the Charlotte Mason Companion. This is probably the nearest style that we use. There is a website that is based around her style of teaching.

We have been homeschooling from the beginning and believe it or not, so have you.

I thumbed through Educating The Whole-Hearted Child, but it was a bit heavy for me.

If you are interested in Charlotte Mason, a simple book on her principle is For the Children's Sake

A site that is a really neat group of homeschoolers (veterns and newbies) is Christian Homeschool Fellowship feel free to ask away there. You will get the hand that you need.

Is it scary? I think that even people that have been doing it for years sit back some days and think, "Oh my. How am I going to do this?"

One bit of advice is to not make your home a school. That is to say that you shouldn't try to turn your home into an institute like the public school.

I couldn't agree more with what Yorzhik has to say.

At home you can customize the lessons to your child. If your kiddo understands geometery without a hitch he can move on to the next subject. He doesn't have to waste his time in class all week while the teacher explains the difference between a square and a triangle.

It still makes me chuckle that folks say to me, "How can you teach all of those children?" I "school" 3 children (the newest is just starting kindergarten, so there isn't many lessons there). Most elementary classrooms today have atleast 20 students. :think:

pm me if you need anymore help.

Karen

Minerva

Wow, so many responses....well, let me say thanks to all of you for taking the time to cheer me on...let me say this though....I am not scared about the academic aspect of homeschooling the children...I am more than confident that they will recieve a wonderful, fun, enriching education from me. The academic end of it all rather excites me to tell you the truth. I am scared about the other part...My kids are a girl...7(almost 8), a boy....9...and a two year old that is very hyperactive. (I know all parents say their toddlers are hyper...but I really mean that he is VERY hyperactive and requires a ton of interaction to be fullfilled in the day. I love playing with him and some days trying to keep up. My worry is that I will not be able to keep him from distracting the older ones and that I will end up with this big mess. I have already thought of a few ways that I could integrate their learning and at times teach them as one big group and make the material suited in a manner that would allow them all to walk away having learned something. These are only very short lived moments though...a lesson here and there. I have no idea how I will be able to fill the role of teacher, mother, playmate, wife, housekeeper etc. etc. and still have any time at all to breath. I guess that is my biggest worry.

QueenAtHome

Your toddler is going to have to learn to wait. But, lucky for you there are things that he can do nearby while you teach your older children. Timberdoodle has some neat preschool stuff for when he wants to do his lessons to. Colorworks by Crayola are nice since they aren't that messy.
I have a 2 1/2 year old and a little gal that will be 1 year next month. So I do understand being a little distracted. :juggle:
My 2 year old isn't hyper and does well playing on her own, but she is very adventerous.
If you have one of those dining rooms that you can see into the living room then you have a bonus since your little guy can be busy playing while you are helping the older kids.
Many lessons you will be able to assign to your child, get them started, and then let them go at it.
Some lessons that I know will be messy or require my undivided attention, I do when the little girls are napping.

Some lessons he will be right at your side with the same excitement as you and your older children to discover what will happen next.

And then, there will be those days. But don't we all have those days sometimes?

Also, your oldest kids being close in age has its advanatages since you can do some lessons with both of them and then just expand if needed for the older one.

Minerva said:
I have no idea how I will be able to fill the role of teacher, mother, playmate, wife, housekeeper etc. etc. and still have any time at all to breath. I guess that is my biggest worry.
Welcome to motherhood. :)
It is the best rewarding job you'll ever work your hardest at. :thumb:

Minerva

hoosiermommy said:
Some lessons that I know will be messy or require my undivided attention, I do when the little girls are napping.

Naps? LOL My little one hasn't napped since he was about 10 months or so...he is up until about 10:00 at night and then he wakes up about 8:00 if I'm lucky....he goes strong ALL DAY. lol but we love it..he's a blast.

hoosiermommy said:
And then, there will be those days. But don't we all have those days sometimes?

This is very true.

hoosiermommy said:
Also, your oldest kids being close in age has its advanatages since you can do some lessons with both of them and then just expand if needed for the older one.

Actually I am going to teach them on the same grade level. They are both very intelligent and the school they attend now only teaches math and reading (no art, history science, music...nothing) and the work they do is worksheets that come straight from the test that the kids are given (you know..the ones that decides their funding...sound fishy to you..well it is) Anyway...they aren't being taught anything to speak of. I estimate about two weeks to bring the younger one up to speed with the older one. I think that's what I will do. ;)

Thanks so much for all the info and the links...I appreciate anything I can get. :thumb: