User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 92

Thread: The virgin birth in Isaiah 7

  1. #31
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    9,698
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 443 Times in 417 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    You can always prooftext. It isn't a sign to have a young woman will give birth. That would be normal. It would be a sign from heaven however if a virgin gives birth.

    Isaiah says a virgin.
    We read "virgin" in the English. My question has to do with the nature of the position that attempts to only take "Hebrew meaning" as has been presented.

    Read the passage again. There is a sign, and it may involve the woman but I think it is more about the land and what would happen by a particular time in regard to the boy growing up.

  2. #32
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,831
    Thanks
    648
    Thanked 8,746 Times in 5,956 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147789
    It isn't a sign to say a young woman will give birth. It is a sign to say a virgin will give birth. It is normal that a young woman would give birth. That isn't any kind of sign. Isaiah said a "virgin". The Holy Spirit chooses his words very carefully. It is only perverts that want to mess it up so they can shake their fist at God.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  3. #33
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    9,698
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 443 Times in 417 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    It isn't a sign to say a young woman will give birth. It is a sign to say a virgin will give birth. It is normal that a young woman would give birth. That isn't any kind of sign. Isaiah said a "virgin". The Holy Spirit chooses his words very carefully. It is only perverts that want to mess it up so they can shake their fist at God.
    Notice the word "before". Isn't the sign evident there?

  4. #34
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    43779
    Quote Originally Posted by Elia View Post
    Bs'd

    No Christian any comment on this one?

    Everybody agrees I'm right and the gospel is wrong?



    Eliyahu light unto the nations


    "Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4

    "All the peoples walk each in the name of his god, but as for us; we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God forever and ever!" Micah 4:5

    This message is sent to you from Mount Zion, Jerusalem, Israel.

    "From Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of Y-H-W-H from Jerusalem." Isaiah 2:3, Micah 4:2



    Y-H-W-H! ------- We are English, using the ENGLISH VERSIONS! – His name was called Savior / JESUS by the Creator and himself the Creator. - Jesus is the Savior / God is the Savior of the world! – God’s Body is called JESUS / SAVIOR the “Christ” Anointed by the Holy Ghost, who HE IS, and makes up the THREE, and who is God, the Jesus / Savior / CHRIST! . --- GOD is the SAVIOR / JESUS / the CHRIST!

    Paul – 050911
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

  5. #35
    Over 1500 post club Elia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Judean desert
    Posts
    1,804
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 72 Times in 69 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    22691
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    It isn't a sign to say a young woman will give birth. It is a sign to say a virgin will give birth. It is normal that a young woman would give birth. That isn't any kind of sign. Isaiah said a "virgin". The Holy Spirit chooses his words very carefully. It is only perverts that want to mess it up so they can shake their fist at God.
    Bs'd

    The proofs are abundant that Isaiah said "young woman", and not "virgin".

    And of course, a "virgin birth" is not a sign. Because, how can anybody know the woman really is virgin?

    Did the whole village come to peek between the legs of the woman to see if she really was a virgin?

    Do we just have to take the word of the woman for it, that she is a virgin? Then we are going to have a whole lot more "virgin births".

    The supposed "virgin birth" is not a sign.


    The sign in Isaiah 7 is that before the son who was going to be delivered by the girl who was pregnant would grow up, the land of the two kings of whom Achaz was very afraid, would be deserted, their inhabitants led into exile.

    THAT was the sign, and nothing else.

    And that sign came true, in the days of Isaiah and Achaz, about 700 years before JC.


    Eliyahu light unto the nations


    "Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4

    "All the peoples walk each in the name of his god, but as for us; we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God forever and ever!" Micah 4:5
    Please be advised that everywhere in your translation of your OT when it is written "the LORD" with all capitals, then in the original Hebrew it says the four lettered name of God: Y-H-W-H. That name appears almost 7000 times in the Hebrew Bible.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elia For Your Post:

    freelight (April 25th, 2017)

  7. #36
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    6,850
    Thanks
    2,416
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,109 Posts

    Blog Entries
    76
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1466549

    Lightbulb Is. 7:14

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post

    It isn't a sign to say a young woman will give birth. It is a sign to say a virgin will give birth. It is normal that a young woman would give birth. That isn't any kind of sign. Isaiah said a "virgin". The Holy Spirit chooses his words very carefully. It is only perverts that want to mess it up so they can shake their fist at God.
    Understanding the Jewish view and traditional interpretation of the verse in question is helpful, in contrast to later Christian interpretations and assumptions.

    Uri Yoseph Ph.D for the Messiah Truth Project does a comprehensive review of Is. 7:14 from both Jewish and Christian perspectives Here and Here.

    ~*~*~

    A proper education on such matters makes for a more informed, wise and intelligent decision in matters of knowledge, affecting translations and applications of faith.

    Since the Christological debates over Jesus nature (human/divine ratio?) raged, so much was being invested to prove Jesus 'divinity', and with creative license scribes took their liberties in the writing of the NT in using certain OT passages as messianic proof-texts for Jesus.

    Outside traditional Jewish/Christian views, there are other perspectives on the value, symbology or validity of a 'virgin birth', beyond mythology.


    pj

  8. #37
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    43779
    Quote Originally Posted by Elia View Post
    Bs'd

    The proofs are abundant that Isaiah said "young woman", and not "virgin".

    And of course, a "virgin birth" is not a sign. Because, how can anybody know the woman really is virgin?

    Did the whole village come to peek between the legs of the woman to see if she really was a virgin?

    Do we just have to take the word of the woman for it, that she is a virgin? Then we are going to have a whole lot more "virgin births".

    The supposed "virgin birth" is not a sign.


    The sign in Isaiah 7 is that before the son who was going to be delivered by the girl who was pregnant would grow up, the land of the two kings of whom Achaz was very afraid, would be deserted, their inhabitants led into exile.

    THAT was the sign, and nothing else.

    And that sign came true, in the days of Isaiah and Achaz, about 700 years before JC.


    Eliyahu light unto the nations


    "Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4

    "All the peoples walk each in the name of his god, but as for us; we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God forever and ever!" Micah 4:5

    Jesus was born of a virgin, and that is the "BODY OF CHRIST" THE CHURCH!!!

    The Church was considered A “VIRGIN”, “BECAUSE” She is a YOUNG LADY ESPOUSED TO THE LORD!!!!! – The Church is not an old woman who is not a virgin!! – READ THE BOOK!!!

    Paul – 033012
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

  9. #38
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    6,850
    Thanks
    2,416
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,109 Posts

    Blog Entries
    76
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1466549

    Lightbulb a womb to bring forth a child.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Letsargue View Post

    Jesus was born of a virgin,.....
    A wonderful concept, but have you done your homework on the words used in the passage, their meaning in context? My last post with links is one place to start.

    Mary may have been chosen because she was 'chaste/pure'(virgin-like), but there is no reason to assume she had to be a virgin to bring forth Jesus, - consider that if God could miraculously impregnate a women without the help of a man, he could just as well cause Jesus to come forth thru seemingly ordinary human male/female relations, and Jesus could still be a special soul incarnating in our world of a divine and human mixture, further 'anointed' for a special mission. The Jewish Messiah is an anointed human.

    Additional theological con-fusions of Jesus being 'God' and 'Man' simultaneously were developments debated over and finally 'formalized' in creeds (made 'orthodox') during the first 7 centuries, at least the initial heat of controversies concerning Jesus' nature.




    pj

  10. #39
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    43779
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    A wonderful concept, but have you done your homework on the words used in the passage, their meaning in context? My last post with links is one place to start.

    Mary may have been chosen because she was 'chaste/pure'(virgin-like), but there is no reason to assume she had to be a virgin to bring forth Jesus, - consider that if God could miraculously impregnate a women without the help of a man, he could just as well cause Jesus to come forth thru seemingly ordinary human male/female relations, and Jesus could still be a special soul incarnating in our world of a divine and human mixture, further 'anointed' for a special mission. The Jewish Messiah is an anointed human.

    Additional theological con-fusions of Jesus being 'God' and 'Man' simultaneously were developments debated over and finally 'formalized' in creeds (made 'orthodox') during the first 7 centuries, at least the initial heat of controversies concerning Jesus' nature.




    pj



    There is nothing that entered into the choosing of Mary other than Mary was the “espoused” WIFE of Joseph; - the TRUE KING OF ISRAEL. – Both the Priests and the King of Israel at the time of Christ were all false. --- John the Baptist was the TRUE High Priest and when John was killed, Jesus was the next in line to be High Priest!! ----- CHECK THAT OUT, I AM NOT WRONG HERE. – All these other geniuses are without the knowledge of the Truth!!

    Paul – 033012
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

  11. #40
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    6,850
    Thanks
    2,416
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,109 Posts

    Blog Entries
    76
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1466549

    Lightbulb role play

    Quote Originally Posted by Letsargue View Post
    There is nothing that entered into the choosing of Mary other than Mary was the “espoused” WIFE of Joseph; - the TRUE KING OF ISRAEL. – Both the Priests and the King of Israel at the time of Christ were all false. --- John the Baptist was the TRUE High Priest and when John was killed, Jesus was the next in line to be High Priest!! ----- CHECK THAT OUT, I AM NOT WRONG HERE. – All these other geniuses are without the knowledge of the Truth!!

    Paul – 033012
    That's one point of view - here we are discussing the 'virgin birth' particularly, and the belief-system associated with its 'assumption', which is found only in Matthew's narrative. Whether Jesus was a prophet, priest, apostle, king, messiah, wisdom-teacher, etc....depends on what role's one sees him playing.


    pj

  12. #41
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    43779
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    That's one point of view - here we are discussing the 'virgin birth' particularly, and the belief-system associated with its 'assumption', which is found only in Matthew's narrative. Whether Jesus was a prophet, priest, apostle, king, messiah, wisdom-teacher, etc....depends on what role's one sees him playing.


    pj


    Doesn't the Word of God play the total role of what's what in TRUTH. - Nothing short of Jesus can speak for God to us, not some smart guy!!!

    Paul -- 033012
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

  13. #42
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    6,850
    Thanks
    2,416
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,109 Posts

    Blog Entries
    76
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1466549
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsargue View Post
    Doesn't the Word of God play the total role of what's what in TRUTH. - Nothing short of Jesus can speak for God to us, not some smart guy!!!

    Paul -- 033012
    Depends on how passages are interpreted and in what context. Intellectual honesty dictates the text be thoroughly researched in every possible way to render the best translation.


    pj

  14. #43
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    43779
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    Depends on how passages are interpreted and in what context. Intellectual honesty dictates the text be thoroughly researched in every possible way to render the best translation.


    pj


    WELL if you're right, - and, if I have a LOT of authority, I can say that it's this way, - "Give me your money", and that's what the fools are doing!!! -- God ONLY SAYS what He says. Some people might change it because it doesn't fit their foolishness, but you say we must live with the smarter than God people!! - I'll JUST stick with what's written and what IT SAYS!!

    Paul -- 033012
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

  15. #44
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    6,850
    Thanks
    2,416
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,109 Posts

    Blog Entries
    76
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1466549
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsargue View Post
    WELL if you're right, - and, if I have a LOT of authority, I can say that it's this way, - "Give me your money", and that's what the fools are doing!!! -- God ONLY SAYS what He says. Some people might change it because it doesn't fit their foolishness, but you say we must live with the smarter than God people!! - I'll JUST stick with what's written and what IT SAYS!!

    Paul -- 033012
    Not sure if this addresses the subject of the virgin birth in any way



    pj

  16. #45
    Over 5000 post club Letsargue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 137 Posts

    Blog Entries
    103
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    43779
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    Not sure if this addresses the subject of the virgin birth in any way



    pj


    NO! -- It doesn't!!

    Paul -- 033012
    ---Gal. 4:16.
    ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us