User Tag List

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 173

Thread: Changed by TOL

  1. #61
    Old Timer Nydhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Overseas
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    93
    Some are. Many are not, though.

  2. #62
    Journeyman Katie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyArnold View Post
    But I am learning on TOL, that not everybody agrees with me on that.
    And in the reality of life, each one has a right to his/her beliefs and what they do or do nbt agree with. I can't make everyone agree with me, and even if I could ... that would not make for a very great life in the long run. We live and we learn ... yes. I am just interested in something different than others are here I think. That is not to say I do not find value in discussion with others here, and rather I am just re-thinking my own perspectives on/in life.
    May Hashem bless you and keep watch over you;
    May Hashem make His Presence enlighten you, and may He be kind to you;
    May Hashem bestow favor on you, and grant you peace.

  3. #63
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    1,077
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nydhogg View Post
    Some are. Many are not, though.
    That's what I have come to realize.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Many people have said many things which I agree with and won't repeat for whatever reason

    TOL allowed me to fashion an anonymous theology and then see where it fit, which helped a lot as far as objectivity goes. It also gave me the chance to discuss readings and understand them more fully with the help of a number of perspectives.

    And I really like the members, I've gained a lot of friends. My move to Christianity was made while active on TOL, and that is very much connected to the people here and the way the Christians present themselves. I think that fact is often understated, and always try to remember it


  5. #65
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    397
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy2006 View Post
    Many people have said many things which I agree with and won't repeat for whatever reason

    TOL allowed me to fashion an anonymous theology and then see where it fit, which helped a lot as far as objectivity goes. It also gave me the chance to discuss readings and understand them more fully with the help of a number of perspectives.

    And I really like the members, I've gained a lot of friends. My move to Christianity was made while active on TOL, and that is very much connected to the people here and the way the Christians present themselves. I think that fact is often understated, and always try to remember it





    But isn't TOL pretty integrated into your life? I mean, for me, I have a hard time knowing when and where and how I learn things. I'm constantly changing and everything is held responsible for that. But then again, I'm the only one truly responsible for my action, or for changing, but sometimes we have a hard time knowing what things influences us and which things don't. TOL is just a drop of water stuck in the ocean we're swimming in. It's like the time when somebody touched Jesus in the crowd. Jesus felt power coming out of him and he asked who touched him. The disciples giggled, "Everybody's touching you." (Disclaimer, this has nothing to do with Jurassic Park)

    Everybody is touching us, too, like the Jesus crowd, when the sick girl touched Jesus, so, everybody is influencing us, but then TOL is like that little girl that touch Jesus, and like Jesus, we sometimes can notice when TOL was the one that truly touched us like none other.

  6. #66
    Veteran taikoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    corn belt
    Posts
    255
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    600
    I dunno if it has changed me. Hope so. I dont think Im as full of anger and need to vent and take it out on others as i was. I hope not.

    And I made friends, with some people I started out with a very intense dislike.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyArnold View Post
    But isn't TOL pretty integrated into your life? I mean, for me, I have a hard time knowing when and where and how I learn things. I'm constantly changing and everything is held responsible for that. But then again, I'm the only one truly responsible for my action, or for changing, but sometimes we have a hard time knowing what things influences us and which things don't. TOL is just a drop of water stuck in the ocean we're swimming in. It's like the time when somebody touched Jesus in the crowd. Jesus felt power coming out of him and he asked who touched him. The disciples giggled, "Everybody's touching you." (Disclaimer, this has nothing to do with Jurassic Park)

    Everybody is touching us, too, like the Jesus crowd, when the sick girl touched Jesus, so, everybody is influencing us, but then TOL is like that little girl that touch Jesus, and like Jesus, we sometimes can notice when TOL was the one that truly touched us like none other.
    True enough, but it really did get me thinking about theology and put me into dialogue with others who have differing and well formed thoughts on the subject. That sort of thing was rather limited in my life before TOL.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taikoo View Post
    I dunno if it has changed me. Hope so. I dont think Im as full of anger and need to vent and take it out on others as i was. I hope not.

    And I made friends, with some people I started out with a very intense dislike.
    What is that in your picture anyway? I default to a cheese wonton

    You are good at making lemons out of lemonade. ...Or something like that

  9. #69
    Veteran taikoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    corn belt
    Posts
    255
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy2006 View Post
    What is that in your picture anyway? I default to a cheese wonton

    You are good at making lemons out of lemonade. ...Or something like that
    Its a Mao-era poster. Its not about wonton.

  10. #70
    Blessed is the man that...... Psalmist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A quiet place.
    Posts
    4,761
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 467 Times in 398 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    281752
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascowboy View Post
    How many of you would say that you have changed...

    ...theologically, politically, etc....

    ...since you have been an active participator on TOL.
    Changed? I can post this, it is good for me to be here. It helps me to remain patient, stay the course; to stand for what I believe in, that always be the truth will prevail, that it is not about me but others, because others matter. I have found a home and I'm comfortable with that. Others have caused me search the scriptures, some to see things from their side, whether I agree or disagree.

    Changed? Yes. It makes me look at myself and say, remember you have to live you. So I strive to be kind, loyal and a friend. For that I'm thankful.


    .....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
    .....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
    Psalm 25:1

    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

    The best portion of a personís life -- are the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love. ~ William Wordsworth

  11. #71
    Over 2000 post club One Eyed Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by taikoo View Post
    Its a Mao-era poster. Its not about wonton.
    General Tso's Chicken then? Man, that stuff is good. I like wonton too, but it's just like a fried dumpling. I like to spice it up a bit.

  12. #72
    Over 2000 post club Mr. 5020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,368
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 41 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    22147
    I have become an Open Theist.

    Unfortunately, I'm still a Dallas Cowboys fan, and don't like hockey.

  13. #73
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,375
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 7,768 Times in 6,101 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147795
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascowboy View Post
    What was that movie quote...?

    "I see idiots. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're idiots."

    That's not quite right, I'm thinking, but it's close.


    I love that film.

    Do you think you've changed in any way, Stripe? Have you lived in Taiwan for the entire time that you've been on TOL?
    Y'know, I'm not sure who introduced me to TOL, but I have the strange recollection that a lecturer at bible college in NZ mentioned the place and Godisnowhere.com saying they would challenge us...

    But I can't be certain of that...

    Anyway .. yes. TOL has changed me. It's pointed me toward Jesus and the bible more than any other resource has.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (August 19th, 2017)

  15. #74
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,375
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 7,768 Times in 6,101 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147795
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone66 View Post
    I used to think Christians, even fundies, were decent human beings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nydhogg View Post
    Some are. Many are not, though.
    Wow .. what a right pair of downers you two are.

    Are you boyfriend and boyfriend?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (August 19th, 2017)

  17. #75
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    11,019
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 507 Times in 476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    83306
    Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    I've also learned more about the atheist perspective and I tend to get along with atheists more so than Christians. It used to bother me greatly that my husband is an atheist but I really don't care anymore. I'm not sure if this had something to do with TOL or if it was just a natural progression. I honestly think the atheistic viewpoint is entirely logical it's just not my own viewpoint. I still don't like Hitchens. He's annoying and rude.
    I just watched a debate with Hitchens in it within the last two weeks. He may have even changed his perspective on an issue in the middle of the debate. He thinks... but I think he thinks he has it right as much as anyone can.
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us