Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Christine

Baptist activists: Pull kids out of school
Resolution urges members to reject government education

By Ron Strom
© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

A resolution supporters hope will make it to the floor of the Southern Baptist Convention's annual meeting next month calls on the millions of members of the denomination to pull their kids out of government schools and either homeschool them or send them to Christian schools.

Introduced by a well-known leader of the SBC and a Baptist attorney, the resolution asks "all officers and members of the Southern Baptist Convention and the churches associated with it to remove their children from the government schools and see to it that they receive a thoroughly Christian education, for the glory of God, the good of Christ's church, and the strength of their own commitment to Jesus."

The authors use Scripture in the resolution to argue those Baptists who trust the public-school system with their children are being disobedient to God.

"Government schools are by their own confession humanistic and secular in their instruction, [and] the education offered by the government schools is officially Godless," the measure states.

Noting that "the millions of children in government schools spend seven hours a day, 180 days a year being taught that God is irrelevant to every area of life," the resolution says, "Many Christian children in government schools are converted to an anti-Christian worldview rather than evangelizing their schoolmates."

The measure is sponsored by T.C. Pinckney, a retired brigadier general who has been active in SBC leadership for several years, and Bruce N. Shortt, a homeschooing dad and attorney who holds advanced degrees from both Harvard and Stanford.

Shortt says the biggest problem he faces in pushing the resolution is that Christian parents are in denial about the dangers of government schools.

"At this point, there are many, many pastors and parents who need to be educated about our obligation to provide a Christian education to our children," Shortt told WND. "In time, most [SBC members] are going to understand better that the little red schoolhouse has really become the little white sepulcher, and it's a seething cauldron of spiritual, moral and academic pathologies."

Shortt says when he talks to parents, he frames the issue very quickly.

"The issue is this," he said, "the government schools are killing our children morally, spiritually and academically. The question we confront as Christian parents is, how dead do we want our children to be?"

He says he views the issue as one of "spiritual blindness," noting that roughly 85 percent of Christians send their children to government schools.

"If you had a congregation where 85 percent of the people had a drug problem or an adultery problem, you'd hear about it from the pulpit," he said, "and yet in most churches right now, this is an issue that's not discussed."

The activist says he considers sending children to government schools as "the grossest kind of sin," saying Christians don't want to be confronted with the issue because it would be inconvenient and financially challenging to kick the public-school habit.

Both Pinckney and Shortt are involved in a ministry called Exodus Mandate, which seeks to educate Christians about the nature of public schools and encourages them to take their children out of that environment.

The resolution went to the SBC Resolutions Committee on April 29. That panel typically makes recommendations to the full convention.

Shortt says he hopes to get an up-or-down vote on the floor of the convention in Indianapolis during the event, which is slated for the second week of June.

"Whether it's voted up or down this time is really not the issue," he said. "What we have to do is simply get a hearing for the issue and begin the debate."

Shortt says a "liberal element" got control of the SBC in the '60s and '70s, but that conservatives began taking control in the 1980s. He says the new leadership repaired what he called the "theological damage that was done to the SBC," and now he is working to repair the "cultural damage." Part of that mission includes exhorting members to educate their children in a Christian manner.

"Much of the SBC leadership understands this issue now," Shortt said. "Jack Graham, who is the current president, is very supportive of Christian education."

Part of Shortt's goal, he says, is to see more Baptist schools started around the country to which members could send their children.

"It's a big job," he comment, "because we have roughly 42,000 churches affiliated with the convention and only 650 schools."

Though some homschooling advocates also shun age-segregated Christian schools, which they don't see as much different from government schools, the resolution includes the option of sending children to private, Christian institutions.

"There are people who feel called to homeschool," Short said, "and I think it's a wonderful thing if they do. I also think there are some parents who for one reason or another believe that they can't [homeschool] or would prefer not to."

Both Pinckney and Shortt plan to be at the annual meeting of the convention next month to argue for their resolution.

Shortt predicts if 10-15 percent of children are pulled from government schools, the "$500 billion behemoth" will be delegitimized and will collapse financially – both results he welcomes.

If the resolution were to pass, the attorney says, it would not only "send shockwaves through the Southern Baptist Convention," but other conservatives in other denominations would take up the issue and push similar measures.

Shortt says he hopes the resolution impresses on Christians the need "to focus on rescuing our children from Pharaoh's schools."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38322

cur_deus_homo

Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by Christine

Shortt says he hopes the resolution impresses on Christians the need "to focus on rescuing our children from Pharaoh's schools."
And then they wandered in the wilderness for 40 years and worshipped other gods. Poor choice of metaphor.

Christine

Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo

And then they wandered in the wilderness for 40 years and worshipped other gods. Poor choice of metaphor.
God gave your children to you, not to the Egyptians, or in modern day case, the government. Since God gave them to you, why don't you educate them instead of sending them off to someone who's values/beliefs might be different than yours?

cur_deus_homo

Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

God gave your children to you, not to the Egyptians, or in modern day case, the government. Since God gave them to you, why don't you educate them instead of sending them off to someone who's values/beliefs might be different than yours?
I once taught 7th grade English. I have many friends who teach Junior and Senior High School and other friends who teach children with severe learning and behavior disorders and still yet more friends who teach children, some of whom are completely deaf, blind, developmentally and cognitively challenged. All of these people teach in public schools, and all of them are strong, faithful Christians living out their Christian values in the public arena.

Public schools are a gift from God. The public has a responsibility to provide for the education of the children of our society, wether they have children or not. We might complain about the lousy condition of the roads, but the solution is not to say, "Hey, these roads are terrible, let's build our own roads that only those people whom we allow to can use them." No, we try hard to make the public system better than it is because it is for all people, regardless of race, creed, color, etc.

I am worried that if Christians start to yank their kids out of public schools en masse they run the risk of ghettoizing their children and will in the end put dangerous blinders on them. The world is not "Christian." The US is not "Christian." The purpose of the Christian message is to bring hope to a dark and desparate world, not to bring comfort and safety to ourselves at the exclusion of others, nor is it to create a "Christian" state or system.

firechyld

Homeschooling is a lot rarer over here. There's a lot about it that I don't understand.

How do you deal with the fact that no parent is a trained teacher in every area? How does a parent who focussed on English and Humanities in high school and university give a teenager a decent grasp of advanced mathematics?

ShadowMaid

Originally posted by firechyld

Homeschooling is a lot rarer over here. There's a lot about it that I don't understand.

How do you deal with the fact that no parent is a trained teacher in every area? How does a parent who focussed on English and Humanities in high school and university give a teenager a decent grasp of advanced mathematics?

The curriculum explains (or it should!) everything. If the student if having a problem, the parent can look at the book, and/or teachers guild, and walk them through it. If you buy a curriculum, it should have everything already inside of them. But certain curriculums have different things. You have to look for the curriculum that meets your standards.

firechyld

What if it's something like (we call it 4-Unit math... the super advanced stuff)... the kind of thing you need to understand to explain?

What about advanced physics? How do you make up for the fact that you don't have a science lab?

Art or music? Things that can't be learnt from books?

Sorry about all the questions... I went to an academically selective high school. While I adore my parents, and know that they're very intelligent, they couldn't have taught me everything i learnt at school.

Christine

Originally posted by ShadowMaid

The curriculum explains (or it should!) everything. If the student if having a problem, the parent can look at the book, and/or teachers guild, and walk them through it. If you buy a curriculum, it should have everything already inside of them. But certain curriculums have different things. You have to look for the curriculum that meets your standards.
:thumb: That's why one curriculum isn't right for every family. Every one has to decide what is best for their needs.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I don't know about all other homeschooling parents. But, if I find something that I just can't teach, I hire a tutor to teach my daughter that subject. I've only had to do that once so far and that was when :jessilu: wanted to learn geology.

Christine

What if it's something like (we call it 4-Unit math... the super advanced stuff)... the kind of thing you need to understand to explain?
Well, with the math program I use (Saxon) you can buy CD-Roms that have a teacher on their explaining every single concept. This way, if you just don't "get it" it can be explained.

What about advanced physics? How do you make up for the fact that you don't have a science lab?
I might take advanced physics next year (either that or advanced biology, still trying to decide). The program I use only requires household items to be used for experiments. For there chemistry courses, you can buy the lab equipment.

Drawing an other skills similiar can. Music lessons could be taken outside the home, or video course.

Sorry about all the questions... I went to an academically selective high school. While I adore my parents, and know that they're very intelligent, they couldn't have taught me everything i learnt at school.
That's ok

Art Deco

Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo I am worried that if Christians start to yank their kids out of public schools en masse they run the risk of ghettoizing their children and will in the end put dangerous blinders on them. The world is not "Christian." The US is not "Christian." The purpose of the Christian message is to bring hope to a dark and desparate world, not to bring comfort and safety to ourselves at the exclusion of others, nor is it to create a "Christian" state or system.

I don't think you're worried at all. You should applaud the Southern Baptists for finally understanding the damage a Secular Humanist anti-God world view does to impressionable Christian young people. I think it's great. Kick public education to the curb. Let the Secular Humanists and their pagan friends pay for a pagan education. That's what they wanted...seperation of Church and State and all that...LOL. Let's give them seperation of Church and State.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

• Baptist activists: Pull kids out of school
    Resolution urges members to reject government education
:BRAVO:

That's really great news. The Southern Baptist Convention is pretty much the largest non-Catholic denomination in America.

Jesus Lives!

I have four boys 10, 7, 3 1/2, and 2 years old. The older two are in a public school. So far from what I have seen in thier school is alot based on scripture to a limit. They have prayer and their rules are basicly on love thy neighbor. And they promote it freely. But the town I live in is small (but growing):( and I would say the mojarity is Christian. Our governor is a Christian and he speaks it freely. But I know a good thing can not last forever in these days. I would like to get some information on homeschooling as in what is needed and who to get in contact with.

Christine

Originally posted by Living4Him

I have four boys 10, 7, 3 1/2, and 2 years old. The older two are in a public school. So far from what I have seen in thier school is alot based on scripture to a limit. They have prayer and their rules are basicly on love thy neighbor. And they promote it freely. But the town I live in is small (but growing):( and I would say the mojarity is Christian. Our governor is a Christian and he speaks it freely. But I know a good thing can not last forever in these days. I would like to get some information on homeschooling as in what is needed and who to get in contact with.
Congratulations for deciding to look into it. www.hslda.org can give you the leagal info, the laws in your state, what's required, etc. Also, www.triviumpursuit.com tells you about the classical homeschooling method. www.vegsource.com/homeschool is a good place to buy used materials.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by Art Deco

I don't think you're worried at all. You should applaud the Southern Baptists for finally understanding the damage a Secular Humanist anti-God world view does to impressionable Christian young people. I think it's great. Kick public education to the curb. Let the Secular Humanists and their pagan friends pay for a pagan education. That's what they wanted...seperation of Church and State and all that...LOL. Let's give them seperation of Church and State.

I was just wondering what might happen if enough kids escaped federal pris...public school. Somehow I can't imagine the taxes being lowered. Perhaps they would use the left over funds from vacancies to ram through the "all day kindergarten" and/or "mandatory kindergarten" programs...

Oh yeah and .. GO! SBC!! :bannana: :jump: :BRAVO:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Congratulations for deciding to look into it. www.hslda.org can give you the leagal info, the laws in your state, what's required, etc. Also, www.triviumpursuit.com tells you about the classical homeschooling method. www.vegsource.com/homeschool is a good place to buy used materials.
Christine, you're awesome! It's so great that you know to offer this kind of information and help when asked about homeschooling. :thumb:

Crow

firechyld, the homeschoolers I know don't exist in a vaccum. They interact with other homeschoolers, and many teach each other's children, through face-to-face meetings, by phone, and on computer, in many instances.

Homeschool parents educate themselves as well as their kids because they have made a commitment to personally see that their kids are educated.

There are resources for kids in advanced areas. Many colleges in the US offer advanced placement classes. My sister's daughter took college algebra and physics at the age of 15. She was not homeschooled, but her abilities exceeded the ability of the local public school to adequately accomodate. This option is open to homeschoolers as well. My sister's daughter had earned a year and a half of college credit by the time she graduated from high school.

The homeschool kids I know as a whole are much better educated than the public school kids I know. I was in the top 10 percent of my public high school, and it wasn't because of the teachers, but because my father saw to it that HE educated me. Sure, I went to public school, but it was my father who taught me to read the encyclopedia before I even hit kindergarten, (and I'm dyslexic!) astronomy from the time I was 3, multiplication and division {with dried beans on the kitchen table) by the time I was 5, history long before it raised it's head in public school, geology (fossil digs from the age 4 on) and a host of other subjects.

Sure, I went to public school. In the 60's and early 70's homeschooling was not as practical is it is for parents today. And I did learn some things in public school. I learned how to bend glass with bunsen burners and make bongs and pipes in Chemsitry class. I learned that most of my peers were boorish and ill-behaved boors who never read Twain, or Voltaire, nor much of anything that wasn't required. And I learned all of the best places to hide out and skip classes because I was bored to death from going over material I had learned at home years before.

firechyld

I was early educated as well... could read well before anyone else, skipped a few things, stuff like that. That's why I was sent to the selective school. Even then, I took English and Math a few years in advance.

I'm not meaning to put homeschooling down... if homeschooling circles weren't so Christo-centric, I'd consider it for any future mini-mes that appear. I'm just curious... like I said, it's a lot rarer here.

The NSW high school curiculum just underwent a massive change... the subjects being taught now didn't exist a few years back. How do you deal with things like that?

I understand the thing about getting a tutor for things you can't teach, but how do you establish what those things are?